PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic in Devastating form; breadsticks Simon - says playing best grass tennis EVER

TennisFan3
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Djokovic sends a strong message to the rest of the field. He just obliterated Simon in a exho tournament 1 and 2. Simon acknowledged that this is the best grass court tennis someone had played against him. And Djokovic says this is the best he's ever played on grass. His forehand, in particular, is deadly. I think people will be surprised by Djokovic on grass.

Here is a report:
http://tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=12656&zoneid=9

Excerpts:
_______

Simon is moving better than he did yesterday in his match against Juan Martin del Potro, but Djokovic’s lateral lope across the baseline is an amazing thing to watch, and he looks more comfortable with the grass underfoot than any other player I’ve seen at Queen’s or The Boodles so far.

It feels like he’s introducing himself to all of us, all over again: I’m Novak Djokovic, nice to meet you, now watch this insane forehand go right where I want it.

He’s still playing tennis from another planet. By the end, Simon doesn’t know which side to serve from. If it was a tour event, it would be painful; as it is, it’s just a delight to watch Djokovic dealing out this kind of effortless victory.
________

Djokovic reiterated that his chief aim for this year was to win Wimbledon. This is the most important tournament in the world for him, and he will give it his all.

Sounds Ominous...Can anyone stop Djokovic at Wimbledon? Discuss...

viduka0101
06-16-2011, 06:06 PM

is this a joke?

accidental
06-16-2011, 06:14 PM
lol at beating Simon on grass being an incredible feat

Clarky21
06-16-2011, 06:19 PM
^^I was going to say the same thing. Look,Novak may go on to win Wimbledon,but using a practice match against Simon as a yard stick as to how well he is playing is ridiculous.

CocaCola
06-16-2011, 06:22 PM
That is a massive overreact man. I bet you didn't watched the match at all. This was basically a practise match, Novak bounced the ball 2, 3 times before serve, joking around, nothing more. Lets wait for Wim to start and then well see.

TennisFan3
06-16-2011, 06:22 PM

Not beating, but obliterating. How about a breadstick?

Read some blogs on the Wimbledon players practice sessions. Everyone seems amazed by Djokovic's level. He was drawing oohs and aahs from the crowd like TMF used to in his heyday (or Nadal did in 2008 )..

Mustard
06-16-2011, 06:27 PM

I bet Nadal and Federer are really shivering in their shoes upon hearing the news that Djokovic has dismantled the legend of Simon in an exhibition match :roll:

Clarky21
06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Well let's just skip the whole tournament and hand the trophy over to Novak. Why on earth would any other players even bother showing up with Novak in his "ooh and ahh' form. :roll:

Come on,TF3. Like I said earlier,Novak may very well go on to win Wimbledon,but how about we let the tournament start before we anoint him the champion. I will say though that if he gets a good draw he will probably make the final at least. I don't see how he wouldn't.

TennisFan3
06-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Well let's just skip the whole tournament and hand the trophy over to Novak. Why on earth would any other players even bother showing up with Novak in his "ooh and ahh' form. :roll:

Come on,TF3. Like I said earlier,Novak may very well go on to win Wimbledon,but how about we let the tournament start before we anoint him the champion. I will say though that if he gets a good draw he will probably make the final at least. I don't see how he wouldn't.

Obviously I'm not saying Novak is the favorite on grass. Far from it.

STILL, he's a LOT better than most people give him credit for. He made the SFs - when he was playing ordinary tennis. These days EVERY aspect of his game is vastly improved.

I mean, I've never seen him crushing forehands like this. It's amazing, because I used to think the forehand is not Novak's biggest shot.

Clarky21
06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Well,you kinda did say he was the favorite on grass when you asked if anyone could stop him this year.

TennisFan3
06-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Well,you kinda did say he was the favorite on grass when you asked if anyone could stop him this year.
A little bit of hyperbole for dramatic effect.

But yes, it will take a stellar match by someone to stop the Djoker. The same way Fed had to play his best match (in past several years) to beat Djokovic in F.O..

stringertom
06-16-2011, 07:36 PM
A little bit of hyperbole for dramatic effect.

But yes, it will take a stellar match by someone to stop the Djoker. The same way Fed had to play his best match (in past several years) to beat Djokovic in F.O..

While Fed did play well in spots vs. Novak earlier this month, the overall level was not as high as his five-set SF win vs. Delpo in '09 or the subsequent steamroller vs. Sod in the final. Fed's third set in the semi vs. Djok was not memorable. He managed to hold on in the fourth despite some shaky play and then raised his service in the decisive breaker. That's not his best tennis.

Tammo
06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Djokovic sends a strong message to the rest of the field. He just obliterated Simon in a exho tournament 1 and 2. Simon acknowledged that this is the best grass court tennis someone had played against him. And Djokovic says this is the best he's ever played on grass. His forehand, in particular, is deadly. I think people will be surprised by Djokovic on grass.

Here is a report:

Excerpts:
_______

Simon is moving better than he did yesterday in his match against Juan Martin del Potro, but Djokovicís lateral lope across the baseline is an amazing thing to watch, and he looks more comfortable with the grass underfoot than any other player Iíve seen at Queenís or The Boodles so far.

It feels like heís introducing himself to all of us, all over again: Iím Novak Djokovic, nice to meet you, now watch this insane forehand go right where I want it.

Heís still playing tennis from another planet. By the end, Simon doesnít know which side to serve from. If it was a tour event, it would be painful; as it is, itís just a delight to watch Djokovic dealing out this kind of effortless victory.
________

Djokovic reiterated that his chief aim for this year was to win Wimbledon. This is the most important tournament in the world for him, and he will give it his all.

Is this part of the "Boodles"

Cup8489
06-16-2011, 08:29 PM
While Fed did play well in spots vs. Novak earlier this month, the overall level was not as high as his five-set SF win vs. Delpo in '09 or the subsequent steamroller vs. Sod in the final. Fed's third set in the semi vs. Djok was not memorable. He managed to hold on in the fourth despite some shaky play and then raised his service in the decisive breaker. That's not his best tennis.

yep.. he played slightly above average tennis on clay for himself and took djokovic out in 4.. if federer plays average grasscourt tennis for himself and plays djokovic, he will take him out in 3.

Lol at suggesting Djokovic is somehow a Grasscourt god... despite not ever being in the final.

People have terrible memories around here.

kishnabe
06-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I bet Nadal and Federer are really shivering in their shoes upon hearing the news that Djokovic has dismantled the legend of Simon in an exhibition match :roll:

Isn't Murray the one they should shiver about? :lol:

Honestly for Djokovic reaching the semi's would be the best result right now. Defending his points....because right he can only lose a tight battle for number one~

SStrikerR
06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd like to see a Fed-Djokovic final. That way Fed can avenge his AO and USO losses and remind Djokovic that he's a hard court player.

Tony48
06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
"I didn't bring my skirt"

LOL.

NamRanger
06-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Hilarious considering people were saying that people were singing doom and gloom for Nadal when he lost an exhibition to some no namer on clay.

Sentinel
06-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Đoković For The Win.

Murrayfan31
06-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Wait until Djokovic plays a big server before talking about winning Wimbledon.

TennisFan3
06-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Isn't Murray the one they should shiver about? :lol:

Honestly for Djokovic reaching the semi's would be the best result right now. Defending his points....because right he can only lose a tight battle for number one~

Djokovic >>>>> Murray. He is a 2 time slam winner, mentally stronger, has a bigger game, and has beaten Nadal and Fed 7 times this year. So you can't compare Murray with Djokovic on any surface.

I'm pretty sure, Djokovic would be praying to the Gods to get Murray in his half, rather than Fed. If Djoker gets Murray, he's almost guaranteed to reach the final..

TennisFan3
06-16-2011, 11:24 PM

...and? He'll face a big server and probably win in straights.

How many people have even taken sets off Djokovic this year?

The guy is in the form of his life. The whole point of the various blogs and the article in my OP is that Djokovic's loss to Fed in SF affected nothing. He's back on track.

In fact it's the BEST thing that could have happened to him. No one is talking of him as they were in the F.O. He's under the radar, and all the pressure is on Fed and Nadal..

accidental
06-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Not beating, but obliterating. How about a breadstick?

Read some blogs on the Wimbledon players practice sessions. Everyone seems amazed by Djokovic's level. He was drawing oohs and aahs from the crowd like TMF used to in his heyday (or Nadal did in 2008)..

Del Potro beat Simon 6.4 6.1 the day before. So he must be second favorite then?

Murray beat Roddick 6.3 6.1 in a real match last week. Thats only 1 more game than Djokovic dropped. Against a player whos been in 3 wimbledon finals and who actually plays well on grass.

They were ooing and ahhing because the crowd was most likely champagne quaffing corporate fat cats who never see any real tennis besides these corporate sponsored exos

Murrayfan31
06-16-2011, 11:46 PM

The guy is in the form of his life. The whole point of the various blogs and the article in my OP is that Djokovic's loss to Fed in SF affected nothing. He's back on track.

In fact it's the BEST thing that could have happened to him. No one is talking of him as they were in the F.O. He's under the radar, and all the pressure is on Fed and Nadal..
Clay is not grass. Big servers on clay are very easy to handle. Not on grass though.

BreakPoint
06-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, it's not like Djokovic beat Roddick on grass. LOL

BreakPoint
06-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Or just serve and volley against him. Djokovic has no answers against a serve and volleyer. That's how Haas beat him at Wimbledon 2 years ago. That's also how Llodra beat him towards the end of last year at the Paris Masters.

M Dean
06-17-2011, 12:16 AM
judging by the last threads... djokovic & murray are the best that ever walked on a grass tennis court.

not saying that one of them will not end as sw19 champion, but this is getting ridiculous :???:

Tony48
06-17-2011, 12:17 AM
While Novak's performance in this exhibition is said to have been clinical (and maybe even a statement match), we just have to wait and see how the tournament unfolds. I think it's great that he's so incredibly motivated to win Wimbledon but for all intents and purposes, he was SUPPOSED to win the French Open. Djoker will probably go on to win more slams but he really didn't show up when everyone expected him to go all the way....and credit to Federer for getting the job done.

And I'm not going to put on the infamous "he was saving himself for tournament A/B/C" hat as many fans of a particular player would say because I don't think that was the case. But it would be nice to see Djokovic go all out and try to win this tournament, since it seems to mean so much to him.

It's not going to be a cakewalk....for ANYONE. I want Novak to win but I want to see him FIGHT for it, and he's going to HAVE to. His two Australian Open titles came rather easily (to me) because he excels so well on that surface. He's never been to a Wimbledon final so playing his usual game certainly isn't going to get the job done. It may work against everyone ranked 5-200 but against Nadal, Federer & Murray, he's going to have to summon an unseen, impeccable form to win against them.

zagor
06-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Sounds Ominous...Can anyone stop Djokovic at Wimbledon?

Only Sampras if he unretires and gets a wildcard can do it.

TennisFan3
06-17-2011, 12:35 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4BwhKxSgT74/TdZ9ly9WVEI/AAAAAAAAAYk/evbc1tEnmH4/s1600/01-CHEERS.jpg

Sid_Vicious
06-17-2011, 12:41 AM

Everyone knows that James Ward is man to beat.

zagor
06-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Everyone knows that James Ward is man to beat.

Damn,I forgot all about Ward the beast.Yes if he continues to ride on his momentum wave from Queens he'll beat Novak if they meet no doubt,he's the only hope Fed and Nadal have at this moment.

TennisFan3
06-17-2011, 01:22 AM
It's not going to be a cakewalk....for ANYONE. I want Novak to win but I want to see him FIGHT for it, and he's going to HAVE to. His two Australian Open titles came rather easily (to me) because he excels so well on that surface. He's never been to a Wimbledon final so playing his usual game certainly isn't going to get the job done. It may work against everyone ranked 5-200 but against Nadal, Federer & Murray, he's going to have to summon an unseen, impeccable form to win against them.

Keep in mind this is a NEW Djokovic we are talking about. Hitherto he hadn't beaten Nadal in 10 tries on clay. Yet this year, not only did he beat Nadal on clay twice, but did so in FINALS and in straight sets.
So past history is not an indicator of expected performance from Djokovic in 2011.

Djokovic's problem in Wimbledon can be summarized in one word: Federer. His chances of winning Wimbledon increase dramatically if Fed's not in his half.

I don't think Djokovic would be worried about Murray or Nadal. Against, Murray..well because he's Murray and not performed in slams up to his potential ever. Against Nadal, Djokovic would relish the matchup and fancy his chances. Especially given the face that Nadal's game has declined. For Nadal, the lack of movement,. explosiveness and the inability to maintain his intensity (at the previous yr levels) may hurt him more on grass, than it does on clay for ex.

So yeah, just as Nadal got lucky with Fed doing him a favor and taking out Djoker - it is now Djokovic's turn to ask Nadal for a favor and hope the Spaniard takes out Fed.
As before, Murray in Djoker's half almost assures the Serb a final spot. And then of course he would have better chances if it's Nadal he faces..

gregor.b
06-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Djokovic is in awesome form but isn't Simon's best surface clay?

powerangle
06-17-2011, 02:02 AM

Here is a report:

Excerpts:
_______

Simon is moving better than he did yesterday in his match against Juan Martin del Potro, but Djokovicís lateral lope across the baseline is an amazing thing to watch, and he looks more comfortable with the grass underfoot than any other player Iíve seen at Queenís or The Boodles so far.

It feels like heís introducing himself to all of us, all over again: Iím Novak Djokovic, nice to meet you, now watch this insane forehand go right where I want it.

Heís still playing tennis from another planet. By the end, Simon doesnít know which side to serve from. If it was a tour event, it would be painful; as it is, itís just a delight to watch Djokovic dealing out this kind of effortless victory.
________

Going overboard again are we?

I distinctly remember you and some others going on and on about how Novak is so incredible, and "can anybody beat him?" yadda yadda...before the French Open. I did say you weren't cocky like some of the others...but you sure are easily excited about Djokovic.

Sorry but this exho does nothing to change my mind. He's one of the top few favorites...and that was before this exho...nothing has changed.

PCXL-Fan
06-17-2011, 02:10 AM
There's a rumour circulating on Simon's Twitter page. He's accusing tournament directors of spiking his food with Vitamin A, causing him to perform poorly against Djokovic.

Reason being to raise interest/hype in Djokovic and the other big names for the upcoming top 4 clash.

feetofclay
06-17-2011, 03:29 AM

Just a thought. Didn't Simon retire with an injury last week at Queens?

Heracles
06-17-2011, 03:58 AM
Eastbourne 2010: Llodra defeats Simon 6-1 6-3
Wimbledon 2010: Murray defeats Simon 6-1 6-4 6-4

cp37070
06-17-2011, 04:01 AM
LMAO some of these posts about Djokovic are starting to sound like Chuck Norris jokes. It's like the FO loss to Federer didn't just happen. Moral of the story trophies shouldn't be handed out until the final game is finished.

batz
06-17-2011, 06:29 AM
Djokovic >>>>> Murray. He is a 2 time slam winner, mentally stronger, has a bigger game, and has beaten Nadal and Fed 7 times this year. So you can't compare Murray with Djokovic on any surface.

I'm pretty sure, Djokovic would be praying to the Gods to get Murray in his half, rather than Fed. If Djoker gets Murray, he's almost guaranteed to reach the final..

Djokovic has an inferior grasscourt record to Murray:

Their Wimbledon best is identical - 1 QF and 2SFs. Their Wimbledon worst isn't. Murray has never lost to an unseeded player or before R3. Since 2006, Murray has only lost to Nadal and Roddick at Wimbledon - in the same period Novak has lost to Safin and Hass. Novak has zero grasscourt titles, Murray has 2. Novak's grass percentage is 73%, Murray's is 80%.

QED that to date, Murray > Novak on grass.

egn
06-17-2011, 06:42 AM

At least 1 :)

Mainad
06-17-2011, 07:02 AM

Ivan Dodig (AO 2nd round),Federer (IW semi and FO semi),Nadal (IW final and Miami final),Thomaz Bellucci (Madrid semi) and Murray (Rome semi).

zagor
06-17-2011, 07:06 AM

Ivan Dodig (AO 2nd round),Federer (IW semi and FO semi),Nadal (IW final and Miami final),Thomaz Bellucci (Madrid semi) and Murray (Rome semi).

Plus Delpo at FO.

abmk
06-17-2011, 07:07 AM

pretty sure ferrer took a set off him in their clay court match this year

Heracles
06-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Your forgot Feliciano Lopez, Tomas Berdych , Juan Martin Del Potro and David Ferrer

Mainad
06-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Plus Delpo at FO.

Of course.Forgot poor old Delpo.That makes a grand total then of = 6!

zagor
06-17-2011, 07:09 AM
So that makes it 9 total.

Mainad
06-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Your forgot Feliciano Lopez, Tomas Berdych , Juan Martin Del Potro and David Ferrer

Cripes,so I did! :oops:

More people did it than I could recall.9 in all!

Not such a hard thing to take a set off Djoko after all even in his god-like 2011 form!! :)

TennisFan3
06-17-2011, 03:02 PM
At least 1 :)

My point was NOT the exact number of sets someone has taken off Djokovic.

It was that few people have, and Djoker has lost ONE (just one) match this ENTIRE season. It is an absurd record, and possibly the best ever first half of the season. To put this into perspective guys like Fed, Nadal etc have lost sets (and matches) like candies this year.

Basically, someone will have to play the match of their life to beat Djokovic. Maybe the only guy capable of doing that is Roger Federer in my opinion..

Heracles
06-17-2011, 03:08 PM
My point was NOT the exact number of sets someone has taken off Djokovic.

It was that few people have, and Djoker has lost ONE (just one) match this ENTIRE season. It is an absurd record, and possibly the best ever first half of the season. To put this into perspective guys like Fed, Nadal etc have lost sets (and matches) like candies this year.

Basically, someone will have to play the match of their life to beat Djokovic. The only guy capable of doing that is Roger Federer in my opinion..

It's absurd to say that.

Nadal could very well have won Miami, Bellucci was teaching tennis to Djokovic and Murray choked alone when he was serving for the match.