PDA

View Full Version : Nadal always chooses to return?

KHS
06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Well I'm not very sure if there's been a thread about this, but why is it that Nadal always seems to choose to return first when most other players choose to serve first?? 0.o

SStrikerR
06-16-2011, 08:53 PM
He always does. He's ritualistic, so he always does the same things. Also, he could use it in order to ease himself into matches. I hate serving to open matches, I need to get into it first. I'd imagine even pros can feel this way too.

What do I know, ask Nadal.

NamRanger
06-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Because you have a higher chance of breaking on the first game of the match then any other time, mainly because the guy usually has to "warm-up" his serve so to speak. There are very few guys that can come out of the gates and just blast a serve like Roddick or Sampras.

MichaelNadal
06-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Because you have a higher chance of breaking on the first game of the match then any other time, mainly because the guy usually has to "warm-up" his serve so to speak. There are very few guys that can come out of the gates and just blast a serve like Roddick or Sampras.

Yep. That's exactly it. I'd receive first too.

Cesc Fabregas
06-16-2011, 11:19 PM
It's actually to shake off early nerves and get a few UE's out of the way without the risk of losing his own serve.

martini1
06-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Choosing to receive can have its disadvantages sometimes. Say if the other guy breaks your 1st service game and then hold the next, you are down 3-0 just as easy.

If you serve first and got broken, the other guy holds the next game, mentally it is still 0-2 and he'll need to break you again to go up to 0-3.

Not to mention late in the set a break could end the set right there by the first server, no?

ksbh
06-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Because it gives him time to meditate on a few different things before serving himself.

bolo
06-17-2011, 07:04 AM
It's actually to shake off early nerves and get a few UE's out of the way without the risk of losing his own serve.

I agree with this.

jonnythan
06-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Yup, when you serve first the pressure is on you to hold.

If you receive first and make a few errors and lose the game, no big deal.

RCizzle65
06-17-2011, 07:10 AM
He has been reading Brad Gilbert :P in his Winning Ugly book, he says to choose to return to throw off the oppnent, and also since you are 'warming up' your serve the first game like stated earlier

jackson vile
06-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Well I'm not very sure if there's been a thread about this, but why is it that Nadal always seems to choose to return first when most other players choose to serve first?? 0.o

It's because he has poor return - **** logic LOL

egn
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
He always does. He's ritualistic, so he always does the same things. Also, he could use it in order to ease himself into matches. I hate serving to open matches, I need to get into it first. I'd imagine even pros can feel this way too.

What do I know, ask Nadal.

Agreed on the hating to open matches with serve. I like to get a chance to get a few good swings in and then serve after my opponent has served. Sure more pressure when it comes down to holding, but by that point I'm usually in a rhythm. It is all preference, some people always choose to serve first because they just like serving first.

mikeler
06-17-2011, 10:43 AM
I almost always choose to serve first because a lot of my matches turn into serve fests where there are only 1 to 3 breaks per set. I'd rather be ahead on the scoreboard even though we may be on serve. It puts a lot of pressure on the other server to hold at 5-4 and 6-5.

A benefit of returning serve that I think I read about in Brad Gilbert's book was that you always serve after a changeover. So you have a chance to catch your breath and regroup before serving. This can be a big benefit when it gets really hot out.

Either way, do what works best for you and your game.

Tennis Is Magic
06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
It's psychological. Nadal sees this as a chance to start wearing down his opponent as fast as possible. If Nadal started the match serving, and held serve, it's to be expected in men's tennis that you hold serve, thus his opponent is not as threatened, and is more relaxed on their serve. If you break your opponent's serve the first game, that can throw them off mentally for the rest of the match, because they might try to change their serve, whether it be serving bigger to prevent returns, or spinning serve in more to not risk giving away free points, since you're opponent is getting into the points and you feel you have no margin for error. This can also translate to them trying too much on the return or feeling pressure because they know you can break their serve, and if you take that mental edge, it can easily get you a set (or lose it for you if your opponent has it).

ckhirnigs113
06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
^^^^
Totally agree. I feel like returning first is an advantage especially if you choose to do so regularly. If you break, awesome. If you don't, it's no big deal because it's your serve.

MixieP
06-17-2011, 12:14 PM
He has been reading Brad Gilbert :P in his Winning Ugly book, he says to choose to return to throw off the oppnent, and also since you are 'warming up' your serve the first game like stated earlier

I thought so, too, first, but Raffe only reads fishing books and journals. The only other book he has read was about a little boy in the war or some such parable.

martini1
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I almost always choose to serve first because a lot of my matches turn into serve fests where there are only 1 to 3 breaks per set. I'd rather be ahead on the scoreboard even though we may be on serve. It puts a lot of pressure on the other server to hold at 5-4 and 6-5.

A benefit of returning serve that I think I read about in Brad Gilbert's book was that you always serve after a changeover. So you have a chance to catch your breath and regroup before serving. This can be a big benefit when it gets really hot out.

Either way, do what works best for you and your game.

Especially when break point = set point or match point. This is how Roddick lost Wimby 09, right?

Sentinel
06-18-2011, 02:12 AM
I thought so, too, first, but Raffe only reads fishing books and journals. The only other book he has read was about a little boy in the war or some such parable.
You are forgetting the KIA User's Manual and Insurance Policy. That's heavy reading, I assure you.

TennisFan3
06-18-2011, 02:19 AM
The only other book he has read was about a little boy in the war or some such parable.

Have you even read the Boy in the Striped Pajamas? It's a great book- with a novel way of presenting holocaust literature..

ninman
06-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Because he's a cheater and that's what cheaters do.

MichaelNadal
06-18-2011, 02:39 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/Mattrix38/MichaelJacksonJackson_popcorn.gif

Sentinel
06-18-2011, 05:11 AM
Wow your credibility just shot up like the Sensex.

p.s. hey Mike, you always crack me up with that gif :D

mikeler
06-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Especially when break point = set point or match point. This is how Roddick lost Wimby 09, right?

Yep, Roddick was constantly serving behind on the scoreboard and finally Fed got his only break of the match for the win. Of course, controlling who serves first in the 5th set is a little more difficult than winning a coin toss.