PDA

View Full Version : Murray's Slice backhand

Ray Mercer
06-16-2011, 09:38 PM
I think his slice may be second best on the tour behind Federer. It's really impressive for a guy who plays a two hander. I think his slice puts his backhand above Djokovic's in terms of best on the tour. He just can't go down the line with the same power as Djokovic with the flat backhand.

Feņa14
06-17-2011, 02:11 AM
I think his slice may be second best on the tour behind Federer. It's really impressive for a guy who plays a two hander. I think his slice puts his backhand above Djokovic's in terms of best on the tour. He just can't go down the line with the same power as Djokovic with the flat backhand.

It's certainly part of his tactic where he goes slow, slow, then turn the pace up a bit. That will be important for him at Wimbledon. The thing I like about watching him on grass is his actually his slice forehand, it's pretty old school.

Fedace
06-17-2011, 02:28 AM
question is can he hit those shot put plates with the slice backhand ?

tennis_fan_182
06-17-2011, 02:35 AM

No way dude. A powerful down the line is approximately an infinitely more useful weapons than a slice backhand regardless of surface or circumstance. Thus Murray's backhand can't even begin to be even considered in the same league as that of Djokovic.

Anyway, a slice is a slice is a slice. A the pro level just how is one slice better than another. Djokovic slices the backhand just as well as Federer imo.

Mainad
06-17-2011, 05:18 AM
No way dude. A powerful down the line is approximately an infinitely more useful weapons than a slice backhand regardless of surface or circumstance. Thus Murray's backhand can't even begin to be even considered in the same league as that of Djokovic.

Murray doesn't just slice the backhand,he hits powerfully down the line and cross court with it.It's easily the equal of Djokovic's.Where Djokovic scores better is with the forehand down the line.Murray still needs to work on that one whereas Djokovic's forehand is one of the best in the business.

But their backhands are just about equal!

Kunohara
06-17-2011, 05:18 AM
^

I disagree (with tennis fan 82).

A slice backhand is more useful. Its a change of spin/pace/trajectory AND high % shot. It will cause UEs from your opponents, but you usually wont hit a UE yourself with it. You however wont hit winners.

A down the line backhand is deadly, to be sure, but its still the same ball you get in a crosscourt exchange, pretty much same pace and spin, and its lower % tennis to boot. It will be hit for winners, but also UEs.

fundrazer
06-17-2011, 05:32 AM
^^He's just posting absolute nonsense. I don't even know how he can claim that all slices are the same either. Notice how players with weaker slices tend to have the ball sit up more and it doesn't really penetrate through the court. Or a guy like Roddick who hits his with mostly sidespin I think. There's a major difference between a slice like Fed who can get it really low to the floatier slices of the other top guys.

junk
06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
i was at Queens Final sitting just a few rows behind the players and what amazed me most was Murray's sliced backhand. Tsonga was hitting with so much power to Murray's backhand but Andy was turning these defensive slices into offensive shots. all i can say, i was really impressed

jaggy
06-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Murrays slice is a thing of beauty, his face on the other hand.......

Cesc Fabregas
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Murray's slice is better than Federer's.

Bobby Jr
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Federer is, by-far, the benchmark for the slice backhand amongst top players - it's not even close (maybe there's some guy ranked 130 or whatever who has a better one..). He has the classic slice which skips through low and the one which floats higher then drops.

Murray has improved his eons in the past few years although strings have a lot to do with the quality of slice backhands these days.

Lsmkenpo
06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Petzschner's slice may be the best in the game.

piece
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Petzschner's slice may be the best in the game.

Good call. Might be inclined to agree with this.

Murray's seems very effective, but doesn't look like it stays as low, is as accurate, or has as much bite as those of Federer and Petzschner. I'm probably missing something though, because Murray seems to give his opponents almost as much trouble with his as the other two do with theirs. In particular, Murray's slice is more effective against Rafa than Fed's is.

Clay lover
06-17-2011, 05:00 PM
The scary thing is Murray's forehand slice is good too.

Lsmkenpo
06-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Good call. Might be inclined to agree with this.

Murray's seems very effective, but doesn't look like it stays as low, is as accurate, or has as much bite as those of Federer and Petzschner. I'm probably missing something though, because Murray seems to give his opponents almost as much trouble with his as the other two do with theirs. In particular, Murray's slice is more effective against Rafa than Fed's is.

I think Murray is a little more unpredictable with his slice, Federer is more up front... here comes my slice let's see what you can do with it.

Nadal practices against slice BHs more than any player I have seen on tour. Roig feeds him slice for hours at practice sessions and Nadal tries to attack it
hitting angled forehands left and right non stop.

aceX
06-17-2011, 05:26 PM
The best thing since sliced bread

eleventeenth street
06-17-2011, 09:54 PM

Anyway, a slice is a slice is a slice. A the pro level just how is one slice better than another. Djokovic slices the backhand just as well as Federer imo.

almost everything, no

abmk
06-17-2011, 09:56 PM

the first para I thought was a nice joke, then I read the last line and I burst out laughing :lol:

Qubax
06-17-2011, 11:38 PM
^

I disagree (with tennis fan 82).

A slice backhand is more useful. Its a change of spin/pace/trajectory AND high % shot. It will cause UEs from your opponents, but you usually wont hit a UE yourself with it. You however wont hit winners.

A down the line backhand is deadly, to be sure, but its still the same ball you get in a crosscourt exchange, pretty much same pace and spin, and its lower % tennis to boot. It will be hit for winners, but also UEs.

Well said...

Feņa14
06-18-2011, 12:49 AM
The scary thing is Murray's forehand slice is good too.

Yeah, I mentioned that too. One of the things i'm looking forward to about Wimbledon is seeing him use it, he only seems to on grass.