PDA

View Full Version : Why do tennis players want to lose weight?

tennis_fan_182
06-17-2011, 02:57 AM
They want to lose weight so they're faster and more mobile on the court.

That is one way to do it if you're carrying alot of excess fat in the first place. But why would you be holding excess fat if you're a pro athlete? The BEST way to do that is to GAIN weight and muscle. More specifically, bulk up doing low rep squats and deadlifts so you get a huge, massive posterior chain and massive, powerful thighs. And eat a ton of protein and calories.

Look at Olympic sprinters, do they have weedy thin legs like tennis players? No, these guys all weigh at least 14st at a height of 5ft 11in. And they're the fastest people in the world. Even huge powerlifters (who carry a lot of fat on them as well) often have blinding 40 yard dash times and vertical leaps of over 35 inches (more than many pro basketball players). Tennis players often weigh as little as 12st if they're as short as 5ft 11in. I'd bet that any elite powerlifter has a faster 40 yard dash and higher vertical leap than any elite tennis player.

Tennis is an ANAEROBIC sport with short periods of high intensity followed by rest. Yet most tennis players train like (and look like) distance runners. If they applied anaerobic training principles like low rep weight training I think the game would become faster, more intense and more exciting for the spectator.

kOaMaster
06-17-2011, 03:06 AM
Tennis is an ANAEROBIC sport with short periods of high intensity followed by rest. Yet most tennis players train like (and look like) distance runners. If they applied anaerobic training principles like low rep weight training I think the game would become faster, more intense and more exciting for the spectator.

I don't think tennis is an anaerobic sport?!
The heart rate won't be over 80% playing normal rallies.

thus your suggestions are invalid

edit: and what the hell are "st". I know Americans & Brits persist on their system but I cannot figure what this could be?

FlamEnemY
06-17-2011, 04:59 AM
^ 14 stones???

edit: or maybe 14 giraffes!

Bobby Jr
06-17-2011, 05:34 AM
I'd bet that any elite powerlifter has a faster 40 yard dash and higher vertical leap than any elite tennis player
Yes, they may well do.

Once, maybe twice.

It's the next 300 times they have to do it with only 20 seconds gap between each where tennis players would run them into the ground.

That's why no tennis player looks like powerlifters. The added weight you carry from all that extra muscle counters the gains you derive from it because, simply, that sort of strength is not of much benefit to tennis players.

Tennis player need a fine balance between strength, endurance and suppleness/flexibility. Too much of any one will always see a trade-off somewhere else to the detriment of the overall 'package'.

neverstopplaying
06-17-2011, 05:38 AM
^ 14 stones???

edit: or maybe 14 giraffes!

Yes, and in some countries people are even still using lbs, miles, gallones, Fahrenheit, inches. Different strokes.

Feņa14
06-17-2011, 05:58 AM
You do alot of changing direction and pounding the body playing tennis, if you have too much muslce mass it can sometimes make it difficult, not to mention the injuries.

FlamEnemY
06-17-2011, 06:01 AM
^^ Yeah, I know about lbs, miles and so on, but it's the first time ever I see someone mentioning stones around here.

It's been a long time since I've lost hope in trying to make sense of your metric system... :(

You do alot of changing direction and pounding the body playing tennis, if you have too much muslce mass it can sometimes make it difficult, not to mention the injuries.

Not to mention your tendons will scream in pain.

Ash_Smith
06-17-2011, 06:11 AM

Tennis is 60% Anaerobic 40% Aerobic

cheers

jonnythan
06-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Sprinters sprint. They move in one direction.

Tennis players don't sprint. They need to be able to move side to side and change direction at the fastest possible speed.

Agility and raw straight-line speed are two different things. Dragsters and F1 racers are built differently for a reason.

Even a pro athlete can have significant body fat. Federer is probably 12-13%, meaning he could lose maybe 6 pounds of fat. Go wear a 6-lb backpack next time you play and let us know how it goes ;)

Low-rep training is great for building raw strength but it's not great for building the muscular endurance and cardiovascular performance necessary to play a 4-hour tennis match. Low-rep strength training should definitely be a part of any tennis player's regimen, but so should endurance training. Long periods of HIIT should be prominently featured, as well as occasional LISS.

Feņa14
06-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Not to mention your tendons will scream in pain.

Very true, Nadal's knee troubles probably have something to do with him carrying alot of muscle earlier on in his career.

SirGounder
06-17-2011, 09:22 AM
I am a basketball fan as well as a tennis fan. The first thing I thought of was Kobe Bryant and Ron Artest. Probably about 5 seasons ago, Kobe decided to bulk up in the off season. The extra muscle helped him finish at the basket and guard bigger players. A couple seasons ago he went on a strict regimen to shed the excess muscle. As he got older, he needed lose some weight to maintain his quickness and give his knees a break.

Ron Artest started last season with a lot of bulk. He said he had always wanted to play at a higer weight to see what happens. It was terrible. He's already a strong guy so the extra muscle didn't make him a better defender. It did make him slower though.

The bottom line is that tennis players don't need extra muscle. Good technique is more effective for generating pace than big muscles. That is why Federer and Djokovic can hit hard without being overly big. Tennis is a non contact sport. You don't need the bulk to stand your ground and push back. The pros need to be able to cover the court and change directions quickly. Injury prevention is another big factor. Take a look at Tsonga. He is definitely one of the bigger guys on tour and can hit hard. He is also pretty injury prone. Nadal is another example. I'm sure he shed some weight to save his knees and now he's #1.

George123
06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Two things. Firstly, you cant compare sprinters and tennis players. Because sprinters run fast for 10 SECONDS. Whilst ten is players run for around 3 to 4 hours. So you can't compare the two different athletes, because sprinters would destroy a tennis player at the 100 meters, whilst tennis players would run rings around a sprinter if they both ran for unto 4 hours, including side to side! Also saying that sprinters don't have weedy legs like tennis players, if you actually look at a male ten is plyers lower legs, there probably going to be much bigger than a sprinters lower legs, once again because tennis requires more calf use then sprinters who use more thigh. Also when you say tennis players need to add more muscle, then you come to the problem that it may reduces movement and flexibility and carrying more weight of any type will slow you down over a long period of time, ever seen a huge marathon runner? I think not. So basically gaining more and more muscle Is defiantly not going to help tennis players.

jackson vile
06-17-2011, 11:10 AM

That is one way to do it if you're carrying alot of excess fat in the first place. But why would you be holding excess fat if you're a pro athlete? The BEST way to do that is to GAIN weight and muscle. More specifically, bulk up doing low rep squats and deadlifts so you get a huge, massive posterior chain and massive, powerful thighs. And eat a ton of protein and calories.

Look at Olympic sprinters, do they have weedy thin legs like tennis players? No, these guys all weigh at least 14st at a height of 5ft 11in. And they're the fastest people in the world. Even huge powerlifters (who carry a lot of fat on them as well) often have blinding 40 yard dash times and vertical leaps of over 35 inches (more than many pro basketball players). Tennis players often weigh as little as 12st if they're as short as 5ft 11in. I'd bet that any elite powerlifter has a faster 40 yard dash and higher vertical leap than any elite tennis player.

Olympic sprinters only move one direction. Tennis players have to be able to change directions multiples times during one point and then recover quickly.

Also, tennis players need a very high degree of stamina.

There are many ways to win at tennis, no one way is the correct way.

Tammo
06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
probably to make them quicker.

spacediver
06-17-2011, 01:34 PM
muscle is metabolically expensive, and can be a powerful drain on your glucose and oxygen. Thus, I imagine that different sports have different optimal trade offs.

snark
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
So you can't compare the two different athletes, because sprinters would destroy a tennis player at the 100 meters, whilst tennis players would run rings around a sprinter if they both ran for unto 4 hours, including side to side!

Actually, I recall reading that Borg had beaten an Olympic hurdles runner (although from a smaller country) in a 100 meter dash.

Mick
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
i don't know about the other people but you would look better if you're lean :)

Tennis_Monk
06-17-2011, 06:53 PM
I guess i am on different camp then. During winter i added about 6-8 pounds to my weight and it basically resulted in one of my most successful seasons as my serve benefitted from my extra weight. More power on my serve.

Come outdoor season and i worked hard and toned down about 10 lbs. I am a lot lighter but my serve sucks and overall my game came down.

Tennis_Monk
06-17-2011, 07:08 PM
double post

jonnythan
06-17-2011, 07:44 PM
You got in better shape. These guys are already in great shape.

BreakPoint
06-17-2011, 09:04 PM

Muscles weigh even more than fat. So if you want to lose weight so that you are lighter and are able to move around the court faster and without getting tired as quickly, you'd achieve that faster by losing more muscle than fat. Of course, it's best to limit both fat and muscle so that you're lean, light, and fast. That's why it's a bad idea for tennis players to bulk up with a lot of muscle and why most don't do it.

Example - Federer has like the perfect physique for tennis and he has little muscle bulk weighing him down.

BreakPoint
06-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Sprinters sprint. They move in one direction.

Tennis players don't sprint. They need to be able to move side to side and change direction at the fastest possible speed.

Agility and raw straight-line speed are two different things. Dragsters and F1 racers are built differently for a reason.

Even a pro athlete can have significant body fat. Federer is probably 12-13%, meaning he could lose maybe 6 pounds of fat. Go wear a 6-lb backpack next time you play and let us know how it goes ;)

Low-rep training is great for building raw strength but it's not great for building the muscular endurance and cardiovascular performance necessary to play a 4-hour tennis match. Low-rep strength training should definitely be a part of any tennis player's regimen, but so should endurance training. Long periods of HIIT should be prominently featured, as well as occasional LISS.
Also, sprinters don't need to worry about endurance and stamina. They just need to explode at maximum speed for a few seconds. Tennis players can be on the court running around for many, many hours. The lighter they are, the longer they can last as they don't have to lug around all that extra weight for hours on end. If you have a lot of extra weight, you're going to get tired during a match much faster.

jigar
06-18-2011, 10:05 AM
They know what they are doing. They don't an opinion from a troll.

npadreman
06-18-2011, 08:34 PM
that's why i love tennis- so many variables to consider....

IMHO technique and stamina are way more important than strength