PDA

View Full Version : The Wimbledon Medical Time Out Thread

Hitman
06-17-2011, 06:58 AM
So much gets made of the MTO's that players take. Some seem to be essential, some appear to be gamesmanship (but may in fact be legitimate injuries). This thread is to record all the MTO's that are taking place for Wimbledon. It would be interesting to look back at all the MTO's taken by the top players. This includes Bathroom breaks that appear to break the opponent's momentum...

Bobby Jr
06-17-2011, 07:37 AM
I'd go as far to say that Nadal has called for more medical time-outs in matches at a point when a set is really close (or close to being lost) than all other tennis matches I've seen in well over 25 years combined.

Someone should do a list of all the times he's called for MTO before an opponent is set to serve for a set or it's a tight set etc... It can't be coincidence as it seems to happen a couple of times a year for Nadal at least.

Kunohara
06-17-2011, 07:43 AM
I say Rafa will call for 3 MTOs during the tournament.

woodrow1029
06-17-2011, 07:59 AM
This includes Bathroom breaks that appear to break the opponent's momentum...

Why include bathroom breaks in a thread about medical timeouts?

Hitman
06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Why include bathroom breaks in a thread about medical timeouts?

Well...since I am sure many will talk about gamemanship when refering to MTOs'. It will be interesting to see how many will also call foul play on bathroom breaks.

But I understand where you are coming from.

TMF
06-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Well...since I am sure many will talk about gamemanship when refering to MTOs'. It will be interesting to see how many will also call foul play on bathroom breaks.

But I understand where you are coming from.

Bathroom break is common and it takes only a minute or 2. MTO delays the match. Huge advantage for player who runs a lot that don't mind having additional time to recuperate.

Tennis Is Magic
06-17-2011, 08:15 AM
It'll be a tie because Murray had a legitimate ankle injury, and Nadal because he's going to win, so he will have the most opportunities to use them.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/square/000/000/091/Problem.jpg?1236877228

Hitman
06-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Bathroom break is common and it takes only a minute or 2. MTO delays the match. Huge advantage for player who runs a lot that don't mind having additional time to recuperate.

I agree.

But since a big thing was made about a certain AO10 quarter final match because of a break, I thought I would add it in there.

Anyways, lets see who walks away with the Wimbledon 2011 MTO championship. :)

woodrow1029
06-17-2011, 08:18 AM
I agree.

But since a big thing was made about a certain AO10 quarter final match because of a break, I thought I would add it in there.

Anyways, lets see who walks away with the Wimbledon 2011 MTO championship. :)

Which AO10 QF match? I don't remember what happened.

feetofclay
06-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Bathroom breaks may be common but they are still gamesmanship. I remember Djokovic's team signalling to him to take a bathroom break when he was being hammered by Nadal at Roland Garros 2008. As for MTO's I bet there aren't many who have taken one to have there toe nails clipped, which is exactly what Federer did when he was losing to Canas.

TMF
06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
It'll be a tie because Murray had a legitimate ankle injury, and Nadal because he's going to win, so he will have the most opportunities to use them.

Don't go there. I'm not a Murray fan but he doesn't fake an injury to call time out. Big difference !

Hitman
06-17-2011, 08:22 AM
My favorite medical timeout! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMuj88gC5YQ

Rippy
06-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Which AO10 QF match? I don't remember what happened.

Federer vs Davydenko.

Federer was back before the umpire called "time", but apparantly it was still a distraction for Davydenko. :(

woodrow1029
06-17-2011, 08:26 AM
My favorite medical timeout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-CgSO9Evw

Bud
Another Nadal hate thread masquerading as something interesting and/or objective :)

woodrow1029
Federer vs Davydenko.

Federer was back before the umpire called "time", but apparantly it was still a distraction for Davydenko. :(

And what was the score when that happened?

feetofclay
06-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Don't go there. I'm not a Murray fan but he doesn't fake an injury to call time out. Big difference !

Who are you to say anyone is faking an injury. The only time you could claim that anyone is faking is if they admit to it and the nearest anyone has come to that was Djokovic
At the 2005 Open, Djokovic beat Gael Monfils, 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(5), 0-6, 7-5 in a match that spanned four hours and two minutes and featured four stoppages of play from Djokovic, who requested the trainer to treat his respiratory and cramping issues. At 4-4 in the fifth set of that match, the seemingly spent Serbian climbed off the court and took an injury timeout that spanned nearly 13 minutes then won three of the final four games.

Confronted with questions of whether he resorted to gamesmanship to pull out that victory, Djokovic said he could not have completed the match without receiving treatment.

“I cannot describe how I was feeling; you just have to be on court feeling it,” Djokovic said. “I’m not used to hard five-set matches. I know for people watching it (taking the breaks) is really irritating, but this is the only way I could win and continue. I am not thinking this would be nice for the people watching, I am thinking and trying to win.”

Bud
06-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Everybody watch closely as this thread slowly becomes everything the TT ***** hate about Nadal.

Hitman
06-17-2011, 08:35 AM
And what was the score when that happened?

He lost something like 13 games in a row after the break. And pretty much any chance of winning the match unless Federer got seriously injured.

zagor
06-17-2011, 08:38 AM
He lost something like 13 games in a row after the break. And pretty much any chance of winning the match unless Federer got seriously injured.

Nah,If I remember well Kolja broke Fed right after that bathroom break.

Hitman
06-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Nah,If I remember well Kolja broke Fed right after that bathroom break.

You are probably right. I don't remember every detail regarding the games, all I know is that after the break he lost 13 games and essentially the match also.

woodrow1029
06-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Was it at a set break? If not, was it before Federer's serve?

Hitman
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Not sure, to be honest with you. I don't know if someone here can answer this question for you.

Magnus
06-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Well, when you say MTOs, you say Rafael Nadal. I think last year at Wimbledon he took a MTO that pretty much won him the match. Of course I'll get bashed now for having an opinion (by "TheTruth" for example) but that's my opinion. Of course, players should already know this by now and keep their concentration regardless.

Magnus
06-17-2011, 08:46 AM

I'll explain:
1) Fed took a break AFTER the 1st set was over, not in the middle of it.
2) He took his break before HIS OWN serve and got broken anyway, which proves the break had no effect whatsoever on Davydenko.

zagor
06-17-2011, 08:48 AM

During a break between 1st and 2nd set.

Magnus
06-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Another Nadal hate thread masquerading as something interesting and/or objective :)

We can criticize Nadal or any other player for that matter. Nadal certainly has his place in a discussion about gamesmanship.

woodrow1029
06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I'll explain:
1) Fed took a break AFTER the 1st set was over, not in the middle of it.
2) He took his break before HIS OWN serve and got broken anyway, which proves the break had no effect whatsoever on Davydenko.

During a break between 1st and 2nd set.

Thanks. Since that is the case, why was a big deal made out of the situation especially since the rule is that in a 5 set match a player can take 2 bathroom breaks, they shall be taken at the set break unless it's an emergency in which it should be taken before the player's own serve.

feetofclay
06-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Well, when you say MTOs, you say Rafael Nadal. I think last year at Wimbledon he took a MTO that pretty much won him the match. Of course I'll get bashed now for having an opinion (by "TheTruth" for example) but that's my opinion. Of course, players should already know this by now and keep their concentration regardless.

Yes Nadal took a MTO, I believe it was before his own serve. Petzschner also took a MTO. Why is one criticised and the other not? A little bit of hate and double standards, maybe?

Magnus
06-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Yes Nadal took a MTO, I believe it was before his own serve. Petzschner also took a MTO. Why is one criticised and the other not? A little bit of hate and double standards, maybe?

I don't remember if and when Petzschner took an MTO, but I do know Nadal took his in a very important stage of the match (I believe he was down 2 sets to one).

Magnus
06-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks. Since that is the case, why was a big deal made out of the situation especially since the rule is that in a 5 set match a player can take 2 bathroom breaks, they shall be taken at the set break unless it's an emergency in which it should be taken before the player's own serve.

I don't know you, or whom you are a fan of, but I think its just Nadal fans trying to find a similar case about Roger, but that isn't a very good example IMO.

DragonBlaze
06-17-2011, 09:11 AM

http://blog.animeusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/hatersgonnahate.jpg

zagor
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM

Eh because Fed fans often harp on Nadal for his MTOs(among other things)and Nadal fans saw this as an opportunity to retaliate and jumped on it right away without thinking it through? In reality Fed didn't even take any of Kolja's time away,if I remember right Fed returned before the umpire said "time".

woodrow1029
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't know you, or whom you are a fan of, but I think its just Nadal fans trying to find a similar case about Roger, but that isn't a very good example IMO.

I am a fan of tennis, but I am also an international chair umpire, so I am just confused as to why this was made an issue.

Rippy
06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Eh because Fed fans often harp on Nadal for his MTOs(among other things)and Nadal fans saw this as an opportunity to retaliate and jumped on it right away without thinking it through? In reality Fed didn't even take any of Kolja's time away,if I remember right Fed returned before the umpire said "time".

Correct, Federer did not exceed the time limit between sets.

I'm baffled why anyone would think that Federer walking around for 2 minutes is more of a distraction than him sitting on his chair for 2 minutes.

CMM

Probably because of this article

..What about his blatant gamesmanship against Nikolay Davydenko - taking a sauntering toilet break after barely half an hour having lost the opening set to allow the shadow of the roof to move further across the court.

He giggled about it afterwards. And everyone laughed along with jolly old Roger.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/02/01/2806776.htm

Bud
I am a fan of tennis, but I am also an international chair umpire, so I am just confused as to why this was made an issue.

Federer took like 10-12 minutes and later stated in an interview that he took such a long bathroom break so the shadows would have time to move across the court as they were affecting his play. There were stories about the incident at the time.

Don't listen to the ***** when they'll tell you he only took the time allotted in a normal changeover. He was off court for at least 10 minutes.

CMM
06-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Federer took like 10-12 minutes and later stated in an interview that he took such a long bathroom break so the shadows would have time to move across the court as they were affecting his play. There were stories about the incident at the time.

Not really.

feetofclay
06-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't remember if and when Petzschner took an MTO, but I do know Nadal took his in a very important stage of the match (I believe he was down 2 sets to one).

Nadal had just broken serve and therefore had momentum on his side, so he did himself no favour by taking a MTO.

Someone taking a MTO shouldn't cause another professional to lose a match. Soderling took A MTO when Nadal was a set down and about to serve for the set, did it cause Nadal to lose?

Bud
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Not really.

Since you're an expert, how long was it?

Bud
06-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Nadal had just broken serve and therefore had momentum on his side, so he did himself no favour by taking a MTO.

Someone taking a MTO shouldn't cause another professional to lose a match. Soderling took A MTO when Nadal was a set down and about to serve for the set, did it cause Nadal to lose?

Like I said earlier, this thread will slowly turn into another Nadal bashing party for the TT Tardz™ :)

God, I really hope he once again demolishes federer in the final!

CMM
06-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Since you're an expert, how long was it?

I don't know, but I don't think he passed the time limit. People talk about this not because he took the bathroom break, but because he talked about it after the match and kind of suggested that he didn't need to go to the bathroom and that he only did it because the shadow was bothering him. But maybe he was just joking.

Bud
06-17-2011, 09:27 AM
I don't know, but I don't think he passed the time limit. People talk about this not because he took the bathroom break, but because he talked about it after the match and kind of suggested that he didn't need to go to the bathroom and that he only did it because the shadow was bothering him. But maybe he was just joking.

There is no official time limit for bathroom breaks, from what I understand about the rules. Perhaps Woodrow can fill us in on that.

woodrow1029
06-17-2011, 09:31 AM
The only wording on bathroom breaks is "reasonable time." There is no set time limit on bathroom breaks.

Up until around 2000 or so, the WTA limited toilet breaks to 5 minutes, but then changed to reasonable time to conform with the ATP and ITF.

Gorecki
06-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Nice Bonfire story... now someone tell us the one about the guy who woke up in a bath tub covered in ice...

http://www.wanderlusttours.com/images/med_bonfire01-5X7.jpg

Magnus
06-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Don't listen to the ***** when they'll tell you he only took the time allotted in a normal changeover. He was off court for at least 10 minutes.

Wow, just wow. Federer was back before umpire said "time", and this isn't an opinion, its a fact. Fed also took the break before his own serve, so if he broke anyone concentration, its his own. Also, if Fed takes 10 minutes for his bathroom break I suppose Nadal takes 30 minutes during his MTOs. With these rates I am surprised the matches are ever over.

Magnus
06-17-2011, 09:42 AM

He said he was joking and that he really needed to pee.

woodrow1029
06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Federer was back before umpire said "time", and this isn't an opinion, its a fact.

Since it was a bathroom break at a set break, the umpire would not have called "Time" until Federer was back.

The only way the umpire would have called time prior to Federer being back is if he had already used his 2 allowed bathroom breaks and had left the court on his own time.

Bud
06-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Since it was a bathroom break at a set break, the umpire would not have called "Time" until Federer was back.

The only way the umpire would have called time prior to Federer being back is if he had already used his 2 allowed bathroom breaks and had left the court on his own time.

That's exactly what happened when he returned from his 10 minute bathroom break. Amazing how some people who watched the match at the time couldn't tell the difference between 2 minutes and 10 minutes. They swore he took no more time than a usual changeover.

Sentinel
06-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Ah, then we should also count TIME VIOLATIONS during serves here since this is breaking a rule (in order to break opp's rhythm.)

And why not count bathroom breaks, too. How many bathroom breaks has Federer taken anyway? One per serve ????

zagor
06-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Federer took like 10-12 minutes He was off court for at least 10 minutes.

That's exactly what happened when he returned from his 10 minute bathroom break.

Just got the uncut copy of the match.First set ended at 36:50,2nd set started at 40:50(Fed took the ball to serve at that exact point) so Fed basically took 2 minutes of Kolja's time,heck Nadal wastes that much time in a few of his service games.What I mean to say is,stop lying ****.

As for the proof(his admission) in Fed's interview,he was interviewed by Courier with whom he always jokes.

Amazing how some people who watched the match at the time couldn't tell the difference between 2 minutes and 10 minutes.

Yes,amazing people can't tell the difference between 4 minutes and 10 minutes.

Rippy
06-17-2011, 10:56 AM
The youtube full match video also shows Federer was off the court for 2 minutes.

Bud's memory has magically extended it to 10 though.

Birdinhio
06-17-2011, 10:59 AM
gotta be nadal, as much as i respect him as a player, he really does seem to almost constantly be plagued by minor injuries which require small MTO's :???:

Sentinel
06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
That's exactly what happened when he returned from his 10 minute bathroom break. Amazing how some people who watched the match at the time couldn't tell the difference between 2 minutes and 10 minutes. They swore he took no more time than a usual changeover.

Bud, I've always respected you as an honest poster. You have some explaining to do. :)

zagor
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
The youtube full match video also shows Federer was off the court for 2 minutes.

Bud's memory has magically extended it to 10 though.

Not just 10,it was 10-12 minutes long according to his vivid imagination,next time this incident gets brought up Bud will probably claim(with absolute certainty of course)that Fed took 15-20 minutes.

Semi-Pro
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Bud, I've always respected you as an honest poster. You have some explaining to do. :)

How foolish of you to expect Dud to reply to a post he has no answers to!

TheNatural
06-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Not sure, to be honest with you. I don't know if someone here can answer this question for you.

I remember seeing Freddy talk about that time out on tv, he admitted that he took the time to stop Davydenkos momentum as Davydenko was on fire and to waste a a bit of precious time to let the sun go down a little as he wasn't comfortable with the sun. I guess he was just taking advantage of the rules do do whatever he could in the despeerate situation he was in.

Federer:"I just figured, you know what, Take it a bit slower, let the sun bgo by, and let’s just stick around. And maybe go down two sets–love and a break. If that’s what’s needed. Just maybe get one break, and get the momentum back."

TMF
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Rafa fans shouldn't makeup story to cover up nadal's gamesmanship. How he takes advantage against his opponents will always be remember. It is what is it and there's no point of defending(only makes him look worse). You cannot argue against fact.

jackson vile
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
I remember seeing Freddy talk about that time out on tv, he admitted that he took the time to stop Davydenkos momentum as Davydenko was on fire and to waste a a bit of precious time to let the sun go down a little as he wasn't comfortable with the sun. I guess he was just taking advantage of the rules do do whatever he could in the despeerate situation he was in.

Federer:"I just figured, you know what, Take it a bit slower, let the sun bgo by, and let’s just stick around. And maybe go down two sets–love and a break. If that’s what’s needed. Just maybe get one break, and get the momentum back."

No, no no, it is different when Federer constantly makes up BS excuses for losing and openly admits to BS cheating such as this.

tennis_pro
06-17-2011, 12:29 PM
My favorite medical timeout! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMuj88gC5YQ

haha freaking hospital

mandy01
06-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Doesn't this tell you it was an obvious joke?

Omega_7000
06-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Amazing how some people who watched the match at the time couldn't tell the difference between 2 minutes and 10 minutes.

It's amazing how you seem to lose track of time when Nadal takes MTO's & wastes time before each serve.

Omega_7000
06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Rafa fans shouldn't makeup story to cover up nadal's gamesmanship.

True fact: A big part of Nadal's gameplan revolves around gamesmanship.

PSNELKE
06-17-2011, 12:35 PM
My favorite Medical Time Out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVy77i7hxw

TheNatural
06-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Doesn't this tell you it was an obvious joke?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fN_DHh9hZYc/TcDGYuY5zyI/AAAAAAAAK9M/5SjcsMrLSss/s1600/face-palm-demotivational-poster-1233926135.jpg

bezs
06-17-2011, 12:40 PM
The match against Petzschner does spring to mind.

mandy01
06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fN_DHh9hZYc/TcDGYuY5zyI/AAAAAAAAK9M/5SjcsMrLSss/s1600/face-palm-demotivational-poster-1233926135.jpgCool story bro.Now go back and read like a good boy.Then we can talk again.

Hitman
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
My favorite Medical Time Out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVy77i7hxw

I remember watching that, thinking to myself, why has he stopped? He looked fine...what is wrong? Then the finger pointing to the throat.

Magnus
06-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Either way, Fed was back before anyone could figure he was gone.

Magnus
06-17-2011, 01:15 PM

He took 10 minutes in the same way Nadal takes 10 seconds between points. Oh wait...

GOAT BAAH!!!
06-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I hope Nadal takes a medical time out in every match on his way to the SW19 chip..then in an unprecedented move; takes a medical timeout as he is hoisting the trophy as he will be unable to lift it due to the fatigue of clowning the field for 2 weeks...

feetofclay
06-17-2011, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=TMF;5753232 You cannot argue against fact.[/QUOTE]

But you can argue against the prejudice that takes place against one player, but I forget myself that one player beats Federer more than anyone else can and has done since he was 17 years old.

Bud
06-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Everybody watch closely as this thread slowly becomes everything the TT ***** hate about Nadal.

I called it :wink:

Pretty sad that some people on this site expend so much time and energy continually spreading hate toward a player.

Rippy
06-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Pretty sad that some people on this site expend so much time and energy continually spreading hate toward a player.

Like inventing a fictitious 12 minute bathroom break, getting called out on your lying by several posters, then ignoring all their posts?

Yeah, it is pretty sad.

jackson vile
06-17-2011, 01:35 PM

They are scared to death, they will vote Roger for the win. However, in all honestly they are thinking there is yet another emanate loss coming.

jones101
06-17-2011, 01:38 PM

People do it to all players so Nadal is not exclusive in that regard.

Im not a particulatly big Nadal fan and think he does engage in gamesmanship, but to his defense he usually has medical consulation on changeovers, rather than a full MTO, so he is not disrupting the time in that regard, and some people dont seem to realise the difference.

jones101
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
http://im.rediff.com/sports/2006/jun/04nadal.jpg

Bud
06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
They are scared to death, they will vote Roger for the win. However, in all honestly they are thinking there is yet another emanate loss coming.

They still can't come to grips with the fact that Nadal constantly takes Federer to the woodshed and always has. He's taken their GOAT and mashed him to a fine pulp for them to choke on :)

Realizing that, I can understand why they're irrationally angry 24/7, though it does get pretty old.

TheNatural
06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend taking a time out v Federer because of Federer's tendency to have hissy fits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koTTY3QuLcQ&feature=related)

ksbh
06-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Bud & Jackson got it spot on. Anyways, it's yet another frustrated Fedfools thread, so time to help them cool their minds-

http://s.chakpak.com/se_images/22676_-1_564_none/sunny-deol.jpg

Hitman
06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
haha freaking hospital

It was so funny! I couldn't stop laughing at the situation. Nadal is lying down getting his stomach looked at, and hears that Almagro has also called for a MTO. He then looks back at his trainer and says rub more! Gesturing with his hands.

Almagro does about every possible stretch known for the back. The MTO is basically twice as long, plus the change over. My favorite one for sure.

Hitman
06-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Now that is just crazy! :shock:

jackson vile
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Bud & Jackson got it spot on. Anyways, it's yet another frustrated Fedfools thread, so time to help them cool their minds-

Really what everyone should be concerned about is; What will Federer's next excuse be??

Omega_7000
06-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Really what everyone should be concerned about is; What will Federer's next excuse be??

Knee, Exhaustion, Abdomen tear, pain in *****, tired, choking on banana, not playing my best no?, opponents celebration (hypocrite), sun in eyes, cramp etc. etc. etc.

Jchurch
06-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Like I said earlier, this thread will slowly turn into another Nadal bashing party for the TT Tardz™ :)

God, I really hope he once again demolishes federer in the final!

Winning 9-7 in the 5th is demolishing? My god............ I guess Federer thoroughly demolished Nadal in 07 and fully massacred him in 06.

aceX
06-17-2011, 06:53 PM
It's all gamesmanship. Nobody ever gets injuries. Ever.

BreakPoint
06-17-2011, 07:49 PM
I say Rafa will call for 3 MTOs during the tournament.
"Tournament"? Are you serious?

I'd say more like 3 MTO's PER MATCH or if Nadal's losing, 3 MTO's PER SET. :shock:

zagor
06-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Rafa fans shouldn't makeup story to cover up nadal's gamesmanship. How he takes advantage against his opponents will always be remember. It is what is it and there's no point of defending(only makes him look worse). You cannot argue against fact.

History has a selective memory and despite some of his quirks Nadal's behaviour on court is still not even in the same ballpark as those of Mcenroe,Connors,Muster etc. so he'll never really be portrayed/marketed as a "villain" in tennis,not to mention that he has excellent PR team and is very mindful of what he says in interviews.I mean the guy won and Edberg award last year for Pete's sake.

Similarly Fed will be remembered as a gentleman and great ambassador of the game despite some of his outbursts on court and few sore loser interviews.

They still can't come to grips with the fact that Nadal constantly takes Federer to the woodshed and always has. He's taken their GOAT and mashed him to a fine pulp for them to choke on :)

Realizing that, I can understand why they're irrationally angry 24/7, though it does get pretty old.

Yes,yes Nadal crushes Federer each time they play,he owns the Swiss,makes him cry etc. etc. still doesn't change the fact that you lied Nadsy boy,next time use a stopwatch that isn't malfunctioning.

Right,that might be your concern,I prefer to watch actual tennis being played rather then psychoanalyze player's interviews.

Sid_Vicious
06-18-2011, 01:22 AM

Sentinel
06-18-2011, 02:51 AM

Rafa can't beat Sania Mirza's MTO* of one year (*marriage time out). Another one of 9 months is coming up soon ;) and it's also an MTO.

Hitman
06-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Well it looks like Nadal is the likely favorite to walk away with the Wimbledon MTO title according to the board.

Interesting to see who does have the most MTOs. It all starts today.

namelessone
06-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Yup, this is not a Nadal hating thread(look at the people who voted Nadal, the usual faces) :)

We are 5 pages in and I wonder if anybody knows how many MTO's Nadal took in 2005-2011 and where he stands in the grand scheme of MTO takers, statistic wise.

It's funny cause most people can only remember like 3-4 "famous" Nadal MTO's:

-against Fed in MC.
-against Almagro in USO(though Almagro took one too)
-against PP in WB(though PP took MTO as well).
-against Mathieu in RG(and some people are genuinely convinced that he would fake that banana bit just as an excuse for a LEGAL MTO :shock:).

There are a couple others like against Murray in AO 2010(retired from that match), Davydenko Paris 2008(retired after first set, didn't play another match that year) or AO 2011(played the whole match with injury in his abductor)

Tipsarevic(not exactly a nobody, top 30) just retired in the FINAL of Eastbourne at 6-7(5), 6-3, 3-5. He retired at 3-5 in the decider of a final :oops:

Where's the outrage?

And this isn't the first time the serb did this(courtesy of MTF):

Roland Garros 2009: R32 Andy Murray (GBR) 3 L 6-7(3), 3-6 RET
Metz 2009: Q Gael Monfils (FRA) 13 L 1-6, 2-4 RET
Barc 2008: R64 Ernests Gulbis (LAT) 86 L 4-6, 2-4 RET
US Open 2007: R64 Rafael Nadal (ESP) 2 L 2-6, 3-6, 2-3 RET
Adelaide 2007 RR Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) 20 L 1-6, 2-4 RET

How many b!tching threads(and let's face it, this is a thread for Nadal haters to spread their BS in) do you see about Tipsy in the General Pro Player section? None.

Until someone can come up with some MTO statistics this thread is BS and fodder for all types of haters.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-20-2011, 04:50 AM
Nadal will have taken 5 MTO:s before the QF

namelessone
06-20-2011, 04:52 AM
Nadal will have taken 5 MTO:s before the QF

Very funny.

Now please tell us all of the MTO's Nadal took in 2011 in the 52 singles match he took part in this year.

Thank you.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Just google "Rafael Nadal cheater" and look how many articles will pop up! Amazing

bezs
06-20-2011, 05:00 AM
This board will get a whole lot quieter when these two juggernauts retire. :p

zagor
06-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Yup, this is not a Nadal hating thread(look at the people who voted Nadal, the usual faces) :)

We are 5 pages in and I wonder if anybody knows how many MTO's Nadal took in 2005-2011 and where he stands in the grand scheme of MTO takers, statistic wise.

It's funny cause most people can only remember like 3-4 "famous" Nadal MTO's:

-against Fed in MC.
-against Almagro in USO(though Almagro took one too)
-against PP in WB(though PP took MTO as well).
-against Mathieu in RG(and some people are genuinely convinced that he would fake that banana bit just as an excuse for a LEGAL MTO :shock:).

There are a couple others like against Murray in AO 2010(retired from that match), Davydenko Paris 2008(retired after first set, didn't play another match that year) or AO 2011(played the whole match with injury in his abductor)

Tipsarevic(not exactly a nobody, top 30) just retired in the FINAL of Eastbourne at 6-7(5), 6-3, 3-5. He retired at 3-5 in the decider of a final :oops:

Where's the outrage?

And this isn't the first time the serb did this(courtesy of MTF):

Roland Garros 2009: R32 Andy Murray (GBR) 3 L 6-7(3), 3-6 RET
Metz 2009: Q Gael Monfils (FRA) 13 L 1-6, 2-4 RET
Barc 2008: R64 Ernests Gulbis (LAT) 86 L 4-6, 2-4 RET
US Open 2007: R64 Rafael Nadal (ESP) 2 L 2-6, 3-6, 2-3 RET
Adelaide 2007 RR Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) 20 L 1-6, 2-4 RET

How many b!tching threads(and let's face it, this is a thread for Nadal haters to spread their BS in) do you see about Tipsy in the General Pro Player section? None.

Until someone can come up with some MTO statistics this thread is BS and fodder for all types of haters.

Ehm,and how many threads are there celebrating Seppi's first title(on grass of all surfaces)? Face it,a guy of Nadal's status will always get way more positive and negative feedback than a guy like Janko,more so on this forum(MTF is different in that regard).Yes I thought what Janko did was bad sportmanship but it's not a high profile match,nobody here cares about it.

On topic,I don't care how many MTOs Nadal takes during Wimbledon this year(I voted for him as a goof),it's within the rules.I'm against his time wasting but that's hardly a big enough of a deal for me not to watch Nadal's matches because of it.

namelessone
06-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Just google "Rafael Nadal cheater" and look how many articles will pop up! Amazing

True, lots of haters around. Unfortunately, usually without any solid arguments as this thread once again proves.

33 people voted Nadal will most likely have the most MTO's in WB yet they have not showed us any statistical evidence that Nadal is in the top of MTO takers.

The burden of proof is on them.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-20-2011, 05:14 AM
True, lots of haters around. Unfortunately, usually without any solid arguments as this thread once again proves.

33 people voted Nadal will most likely have the most MTO's in WB yet they have not showed us any statistical evidence that Nadal is in the top of MTO takers.

The burden of proof is on them.

Professional haters who write for a living doesnt count? On this board right now there is about 60% Nadal-fans imo.

namelessone
06-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Professional haters who write for a living doesnt count? On this board right now there is about 60% Nadal-fans imo.

Those that write for a living are some of the biggest attention *****s. I've seen tennis blogs(of normal tennis fans) that pretty much **** on the "professional" journalists articles and these people don't have access to the pro's unlike the journos.

There are really high caliber people(including former pro's) among the media and commentators that proclaim Nadal GOAT one day, then Fed, then Nadal again, then Fed and so on.

These people change their views constantly. One day Nadal is done and dusted, than Fed, then another top player, then hype gets going again, it dies down, then the cycle starts again.

TW is most certainly not 60% Nadal fans. Fed wins in EVERY poll(many by a large margin), there are maybe 35-40% Nadal fans.

DjokovicForTheWin
06-20-2011, 05:25 AM
The Nadal fans, especially the *****, wouldn't be so reactive if the MTOs weren't in fact a problem.

namelessone
06-20-2011, 05:33 AM
The Nadal fans, especially the *****, wouldn't be so reactive if the MTOs weren't in fact a problem.

As I said, bring me the STATISTICAL evidence of Nadal's fervent MTO usage. I bet most of the haters voting can't even name more than 5-6 Nadal MTO's in the last couple of years.

And where does Nadal stand on the MTO pole? Is he in the top 5 of MTO takers? top 10? top 20?

I've asked a question and so far nobody has answered: Nadal, the "fervent" MTO taker, how many MTO's did he take in the 52 singles matches he's played this year??

And remember, this wasn't a particularly easy year for Nadal, losing in AO QF with injury, losing in Doha, losing 4 MC finals to Djoko, stumbling along in his RG win, losing in Queens. Surely he must have took many many MTO's to get by in those tough moments, no?

rommil
06-20-2011, 05:36 AM
Not just 10,it was 10-12 minutes long according to his vivid imagination,next time this incident gets brought up Bud will probably claim(with absolute certainty of course)that Fed took 15-20 minutes.

Aything numerical , be it time elapsed or an NTRP rating, Bud is the master.

zagor
06-20-2011, 05:39 AM
Aything numerical , be it time elapsed or an NTRP rating, Bud is the master.

Hm,I must have missed this one,what do you mean by that? Whom did Bud rate?

namelessone
06-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Hm,I must have missed this one,what do you mean by that? Whom did Bud rate?

Bud: "He's a 4.0. I'm a 4.5 myself, I know what I'm talking about". It was Peter Polansky, No.185 in the world.

zagor
06-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Bud: "He's a 4.0. I'm a 4.5 myself, I know what I'm talking about". It was Peter Polansky, No.185 in the world.

Bwahahhaha! Damn,why do the most hilarious things happen when I'm not around :)

FedEx23
06-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Marcos Baghdatis will have the most MTOs

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-21-2011, 03:39 PM

Did he say this!? Seriously!? :):twisted:

KyomasaNTH
06-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Shuzo Matsuoka anyone?

Bud
06-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Where did you get that fake quote from, nameless? I don't phrase my sentences like that. I'd appreciate it if you didn't pull fake quotes out of your butt and then attribute them to me.

Did he say this!? Seriously!? :smile::twisted:

No, nameless is FOS. I'm not going to explain the thread to you but, nameless is not correct.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Where did you get that fake quote from, nameless? I don't phrase my sentences like that. I'd appreciate it if you didn't pull fake quotes out of your butt and then attribute them to me.

No, nameless is FOS. I'm not going to explain the thread to you but, Nameless is not correct.

OK, i hardly ever agree with you and your opinions but you DO seem to be a knowledgeable poster so this was a shock to me

Bud
06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
OK, i hardly ever agree with you and your opinions but you DO seem to be a knowledgeable poster so this was a shock to me

Unfortunately, nameless is turning into quite the unhinged troll. Perhaps, it's all the anti-Nadal threads lately on the board :shock:

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately, nameless is turning into quite the unhinged troll. Perhaps, it's all the anti-Nadal threads lately on the board :shock:

I believe you, until proven otherwise.

So who is your pick for Wimby?

Bud
06-21-2011, 04:39 PM

So who is your pick for Wimby?

Nadal, of course ;)

FedExpress 333
06-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Bud has got to bee the biggest ******* ever.....
And reading through this thread is making me scream!!!!

LeoMOMO
06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
As I said, bring me the STATISTICAL evidence of Nadal's fervent MTO usage. I bet most of the haters voting can't even name more than 5-6 Nadal MTO's in the last couple of years.

And where does Nadal stand on the MTO pole? Is he in the top 5 of MTO takers? top 10? top 20?

I've asked a question and so far nobody has answered: Nadal, the "fervent" MTO taker, how many MTO's did he take in the 52 singles matches he's played this year??

And remember, this wasn't a particularly easy year for Nadal, losing in AO QF with injury, losing in Doha, losing 4 MC finals to Djoko, stumbling along in his RG win, losing in Queens. Surely he must have took many many MTO's to get by in those tough moments, no?

Please calm down, namelessone.
I know your feelings as a fan of Nadal. But sadly, haters gonna hate. That's all. :(

Hitman
06-24-2011, 03:02 PM
After five days of play, or somewhat near there, I don't think we've had any medical timeouts. I haven't seen most as much tennis as I would have liked. But have any happened yet? I heard Roddick was not 100% but was outplayed also.

zepphead33
06-24-2011, 10:09 PM
did you watch santoro's last couple matches? he could not stand up for more than about 5 minutes.

Donny0627
06-25-2011, 06:11 AM

lol ive never seen that one before. :)

nadalbestclass
06-27-2011, 10:44 PM
After five days of play, or somewhat near there, I don't think we've had any medical timeouts. I haven't seen most as much tennis as I would have liked. But have any happened yet? I heard Roddick was not 100% but was outplayed also.

You ask and Nadal/Delpo deliver :)

Sentinel
06-27-2011, 10:58 PM
There should be point and game penalties for timeouts and time violations. One point per minute.

Take as much time as you want, but pay in points (not dollars).

In other sports, such as marathons or track races, if a player cramps, or shoelaces come off, or you need a drink, the race does not stop. The player pays for stopping.

Magnus
06-27-2011, 11:01 PM

Nadal vs. Murray AO 2010 - retired the match
Nadal vs. Federer FO 2011 - took MTO
Nadal vs. PP Wimbledon 2010 - took MTO
Nadal vs. DP Wimbledon 2011 - took MTO
Nadal vs. Ferrer AO 2011 - retired the match
Nadal vs. Federer Hamburg 2008 - took MTO

And those are 6 I came up with right away. There are plenty of more, and I'll probably take the time to do the research.

Let me ask you this:

If Nadal is really injured, how come he keeps winning matches in dominating fashion? Is he inhuman? Wouldn't you expect an injured man to behave like an injured man? I find it fasinating that Nadal keeps taking MTOs (let's assume real injuries) before an opponent service game and then BAM...he breaks.
Knee injuries usually hurt your movement, yet Nadal always moves great. Why does he always take the MTOs

Magnus
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM

You may believe him. Personally I have no idea if he said it or not. However, he DID say Federer took a 10 minutes bathroom break during his match with Davydenko at AO 2010. So yes, Bud is indeed the master of numbers.

namelessone
06-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Nadal vs. Murray AO 2010 - retired the match
Nadal vs. Federer FO 2011 - took MTO
Nadal vs. PP Wimbledon 2010 - took MTO
Nadal vs. DP Wimbledon 2011 - took MTO
Nadal vs. Ferrer AO 2011 - retired the match
Nadal vs. Federer Hamburg 2008 - took MTO

And those are 6 I came up with right away. There are plenty of more, and I'll probably take the time to do the research.

Let me ask you this:

If Nadal is really injured, how come he keeps winning matches in dominating fashion? Is he inhuman? Wouldn't you expect an injured man to behave like an injured man? I find it fasinating that Nadal keeps taking MTOs (let's assume real injuries) before an opponent service game and then BAM...he breaks.
Knee injuries usually hurt your movement, yet Nadal always moves great. Why does he always take the MTOs

Do you not understand the concept of THIS YEAR?

I don't want to make you research the whole of Nadal's career. That would be cruel.

Just for 2011.

Give us the MTO numbers for 2011.

Nadal has played 60 matches so far in 2011 and has lost in Doha,AO,Miami,IW,Madrid,Rome,Queens, not to mention having a couple of tight matches in those tourneys as well.

Surely he must have MTO in at least a third of his matches in 2011. He must be up to 20 or so by now, no?

Do your research and come back to me.

Magnus
06-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Do you not understand the concept of THIS YEAR?

I don't want to make you research the whole of Nadal's career. That would be cruel.

Just for 2011.

Give us the MTO numbers for 2011.

Nadal has played 60 matches so far in 2011 and has lost in Doha,AO,Miami,IW,Madrid,Rome,Queens, not to mention having a couple of tight matches in those tourneys as well.

Surely he must have MTO in at least a third of his matches in 2011. He must be up to 20 or so by now, no?

Do your research and come back to me.

Sorry, didn't see you meant this year, but I can remember at least twince this year plus another retirement against Ferrer. Didn't he take some MTOs also in the Djokovic matches? I don't want to accuse without making the research first, as I don't watch all of Nadal's (nor Fed's) matches - not enough free time for that.

However, one thing I can say is that Nadal is getting worse as far as time wasting goes. This year he's taking even more time between point as he did most of his career (back in his early years he was actually pretty fast!).

You haven't answered my question though - how come Nadal isn't injured when he is injured?

To be more specific, when Fed played Murray in the greatest match of 2008 (IMO) in the TMC, Fed took an MTO that really affected him, he couldn't serve and as a result his 1st serve was crap. It was clear that it affected mostly his serve which is logical given the injury. With Nadal, a foor/knee/other leg part should clearly affect his movement, and I never see that, I only see him with so many tapes yet never do I see him sturggle to move. So either he's making a big deal out of nothing, or he is not really injured.

Bartelby
06-28-2011, 12:01 AM
MTOs in slams this year is the relevant statistic.

namelessone
06-28-2011, 12:05 AM
Sorry, didn't see you meant this year, but I can remember at least twince this year plus another retirement against Ferrer. Didn't he take some MTOs also in the Djokovic matches? I don't want to accuse without making the research first, as I don't watch all of Nadal's (nor Fed's) matches - not enough free time for that.

However, one thing I can say is that Nadal is getting worse as far as time wasting goes. This year he's taking even more time between point as he did most of his career (back in his early years he was actually pretty fast!).

You haven't answered my question though - how come Nadal isn't injured when he is injured?

To be more specific, when Fed played Murray in the greatest match of 2008 (IMO) in the TMC, Fed took an MTO that really affected him, he couldn't serve and as a result his 1st serve was crap. It was clear that it affected mostly his serve which is logical given the injury. With Nadal, a foor/knee/other leg part should clearly affect his movement, and I never see that, I only see him with so many tapes yet never do I see him sturggle to move. So either he's making a big deal out of nothing, or he is not really injured.

Define injury and then we'll talk.

aprilfool
06-28-2011, 12:52 AM
I remember watching that, thinking to myself, why has he stopped? He looked fine...what is wrong? Then the finger pointing to the throat.

It appears to me in that video that Nadal was possibly fighting off a panic attack. I think he was embarrassed and used the banana excuse. Panic attacks are no laughing matter.

Magnus
06-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Define injury and then we'll talk.

For example his injury against DP. After rewatching parts of the match (didn't watch it live), I thought Nadal moved and played as well as he possibly can, and yet he's injured. How is that even possible?

What about Nadal's injury in the FO final against Fed? What did it do other than break Fed's momentum? Because obviously Nadal played a huge performance afterwards.

More examples? How about Nadal's 3rd round MTO against PP last year at Wimbledon. Nadal took an MTO because an injury was bothering him, but when did it affect him? He came back rocking, breaking PP (who lost any kind of momentum) and went on to win the event without breaking a sweat since that match. That's what you call an injury?

To me, Nadal has found a tool that allows him to break his opponent's momentum. There is a possibilty that Nadal is just being a drama queen, but to me it seems like he doesn't even care about rules, gamesmanship, or respect for his opponent. That's my main issue and always has been with Nadal, and surely other fans can see that. I'll probably get flamed for this post by the likes pf Buds and TheTruths, but I'm willing to have an honset discussion with a true Nadal fan who can persuade me that Nadal isn't all that bad. So far none have tried, and instead go one to use very convincing and mature arguments such as "You are a clown" and "You are pathetic".

Yawn.

P.S - like I said, the one time Fed looked injured and took an MTO it ACTUALLY affected his game, his serve in specific, plus he also lost that match.

cc0509
06-28-2011, 04:31 AM
I was just watching ESPN and basically Patrick McEnroe came right out and said that it is very possible that Nadal could be a bit of a hypochondriac and he went on to discuss with Fowler, Fernandez and Gilbert how you can't deny that he has a history of taking MTO's in slams especially when he is losing. He then said that the other players may not come out and admit it, but he is gaining a bit of a reputation and this is pi$$ing off some of the players.

Now I am sorry, but these peope are commentators who are paid basically to be objective as possible. Yesterday I stated in a few posts that perhaps Nadal is a hypochondriac and that was before I tuned into ESPN just now and heard basically the same thing from the ESPN team. Nobobody is denying that Nadal is a great player and currently the best in the world, but, you have to step back and look at these incidents time after time and start to see a pattern. If you are truly an objective person who is not blinded by fame, you have to start to say there is indeed a pattern here no matter who the player is and how much you like him/her. Just sayin.

Ralph
06-28-2011, 04:39 AM
For example his injury against DP. After rewatching parts of the match (didn't watch it live), I thought Nadal moved and played as well as he possibly can, and yet he's injured. How is that even possible?

What about Nadal's injury in the FO final against Fed? What did it do other than break Fed's momentum? Because obviously Nadal played a huge performance afterwards.

More examples? How about Nadal's 3rd round MTO against PP last year at Wimbledon. Nadal took an MTO because an injury was bothering him, but when did it affect him? He came back rocking, breaking PP (who lost any kind of momentum) and went on to win the event without breaking a sweat since that match. That's what you call an injury?

To me, Nadal has found a tool that allows him to break his opponent's momentum. There is a possibilty that Nadal is just being a drama queen, but to me it seems like he doesn't even care about rules, gamesmanship, or respect for his opponent. That's my main issue and always has been with Nadal, and surely other fans can see that. I'll probably get flamed for this post by the likes pf Buds and TheTruths, but I'm willing to have an honset discussion with a true Nadal fan who can persuade me that Nadal isn't all that bad. So far none have tried, and instead go one to use very convincing and mature arguments such as "You are a clown" and "You are pathetic".

Yawn.

P.S - like I said, the one time Fed looked injured and took an MTO it ACTUALLY affected his game, his serve in specific, plus he also lost that match.

I was just watching ESPN and basically Patrick McEnroe came right out and said that it is very possible that Nadal could be a bit of a hypochondriac and he went on to discuss with Fowler, Fernandez and Gilbert how you can't deny that he has a history of taking MTO's in slams especially when he is losing. He then said that the other players may not come out and admit it, but he is gaining a bit of a reputation and this is pi$$ing off some of the players.

Now I am sorry, but these peope are commentators who are paid basically to be objective as possible. Yesterday I stated in a few posts that perhaps Nadal is a hypochondriac and that was before I tuned into ESPN just now and heard basically the same thing from the ESPN team. Nobobody is denying that Nadal is a great player and currently the best in the world, but, you have to step back and look at these incidents time after time and start to see a pattern. If you are truly an objective person who is not blinded by fame, you have to start to say there is indeed a pattern here no matter who the player is and how much you like him/her. Just sayin.

Two very good posts and points raised.

namelessone
06-28-2011, 04:43 AM

MTO's by definition are taken to look at things that YOU THINK trouble you physically. If you have something truly serious, no MTO will fix you up but it's worth having the opportunity to check. And since tennis is a game of details even something minor like a niggle and such can affect your game.

What seems to be ignored here time and time again is that Nadal called the trainer during that Delpo service game where he had SP(the forehand from that gained SP was the one that caused the pain in the back of his foot) and as such the guy was ready to intervene right away

Your memory seems to be failing you. Federer was leading handily when Nadal went to take the tape off his leg BEFORE HIS OWN SERVICE GAME. Nadal faced a SP next game and barely held for 3-5 in the first set. Don't blame Fed's choke on Nadal.

I already talked volumes about this at the time. Save me the trouble of typing again and see my older posts.

Doesn't MTO stand for momentum timeout opportunity? :)

Also, Nadal should care about his body first and foremost as it's the most important thing to an athelete. Are you seriously telling me that if you heard a crunch in your foot you are playing on it for a couple more points instead of getting it checked right away(if you have the possibility). Nadal's MTO "trick" worked so well that if DelPo didn't s**t his pants by missing some routine FH in a row and DF on SP, he would have won the tie(as he lead for most of it).

If this is Nadal's shtick, then why doesn't pull this in EVERY(or let's say MOST) tight sets he plays?

If Nadal's MTO usage was so rampant, surely you(and others) would have remembered many such instances yet most can only point to a couple Nadal MTO instances and for 2011 no one has given me a list(or number) of Nadal MTO's even though he CLEARLY uses them to control momentum,no?

Nadal has played 60 freaking matches this year but I doubt that most guys here remember more than 5-6 MTO's from 2011. That's pretty weak for a guy that supposedly abuses them.

Also, if Fed looked bad even after the MTO, then it was very bad before and there was nothing the doc could do. But what about the cases where specific pain CAN be ameliorated via MTO? Those don't count, right? Murray played the WHOLE of RG with a bad tendon if I remember correctly but he moved pretty well the whole tourney overall. You wouldn't exactly say "hey this guy looks injured" looking at him but he did have physical issues. How a player "looks" doesn't matter, it's how he feels the injury in his body. If I had landed badly on my foot, I would want it checked out immediately.

A MTO is taken to check out if there is a issue(minor or major) when the player says he is in pain. If it is minor, the doc sees what he can do. If it is something that can't be helped, the doc informs you and it's up to you to go on or not.

Magnus
06-28-2011, 05:07 AM
MTO's by definition are taken to look at things that YOU THINK trouble you physically. If you have something truly serious, no MTO will fix you up but it's worth having the opportunity to check. And since tennis is a game of details even something minor like a niggle and such can affect your game.

What seems to be ignored here time and time again is that Nadal called the trainer during that Delpo service game where he had SP(the forehand from that gained SP was the one that caused the pain in the back of his foot) and as such the guy was ready to intervene right away

Your memory seems to be failing you. Federer was leading handily when Nadal went to take the tape off his leg BEFORE HIS OWN SERVICE GAME. Nadal faced a SP next game and barely held for 3-5 in the first set. Don't blame Fed's choke on Nadal.

Nonetheless, this is an another example of a Nadal MTO that bothered his opponent, because obviously he lost the set.

I already talked volumes about this at the time. Save me the trouble of typing again and see my older posts.

Not with me you didn't. Personally I think that was one of the worst. How can anyone justify Nadal's actions on this one is beyond my understanding.

Doesn't MTO stand for momentum timeout opportunity? :)

Also, Nadal should care about his body first and foremost as it's the most important thing to an athelete. Are you seriously telling me that if you heard a crunch in your foot you are playing on it for a couple more points instead of getting it checked right away(if you have the possibility). Nadal's MTO "trick" worked so well that if DelPo didn't s**t his pants by missing some routine FH in a row and DF on SP, he would have won the tie(as he lead for most of it).

That's the thing. A crunch it your foot is usually a pretty serious injury, that warrants at least retiring the match and getting treatment. Yet instead, he played the best tennis of his life with just 13 UEs and a billion winners. I don't think Nadal ever produced stats this good.

If this is Nadal's shtick, then why doesn't pull this in EVERY(or let's say MOST) tight sets he plays?

Actually he does in almost all of them, its just that Nadal usually doesn't play tight sets, and he doesn't need. It happens mostly on big slam matches or some big MS 1000 matches.

If Nadal's MTO usage was so rampant, surely you(and others) would have remembered many such instances yet most can only point to a couple Nadal MTO instances and for 2011 no one has given me a list(or number) of Nadal MTO's even though he CLEARLY uses them to control momentum,no?

4-5 instances is A LOT, and I'm sure there were many more. In fact, 1 time of ding this is enough.

Nadal has played 60 freaking matches this year but I doubt that most guys here remember more than 5-6 MTO's from 2011. That's pretty weak for a guy that supposedly abuses them.

5-6 MTOs is A LOT. What are you smoking dude? Its more than the whole top 10 combined!

Also, if Fed looked bad even after the MTO, then it was very bad before and there was nothing the doc could do. But what about the cases where specific pain CAN be ameliorated via MTO? Those don't count, right? Murray played the WHOLE of RG with a bad tendon if I remember correctly but he moved pretty well the whole tourney overall. You wouldn't exactly say "hey this guy looks injured" looking at him but he did have physical issues. How a player "looks" doesn't matter, it's how he feels the injury in his body. If I had landed badly on my foot, I would want it checked out immediately.

Did Murray take an MTO though? If he did, at what stage of the match? Which match? This things matter! Also, Murray barely ever coomplaints or takes MTOs.

A MTO is taken to check out if there is a issue(minor or major) when the player says he is in pain. If it is minor, the doc sees what he can do. If it is something that can't be helped, the doc informs you and it's up to you to go on or not.

Or a third case when a player wants to break his opponent mentally, and this is the perfect case for that. In fact, you said it yourself, 5-6 instances. That is too much. Your argument has worked against you, my friend.

bolded stuff

namelessone
06-28-2011, 05:26 AM
Nonetheless, this is an another example of a Nadal MTO that bothered his opponent, because obviously he lost the set.

No it's not, it's an example of Fed crapping his pants.

Nadal took the tape off his legs BEFORE HIS OWN SERVE, at 2-5. What advantage can this possibly be for him? And you seem to ignore that Fed was so flustered that he had SET POINT on Nadal's serve right after. LMAO.

That's the thing. A crunch it your foot is usually a pretty serious injury, that warrants at least retiring the match and getting treatment. Yet instead, he played the best tennis of his life with just 13 UEs and a billion winners. I don't think Nadal ever produced stats this good.

No, Nadal said the FELT a crunch in his foot upon landing. Doesn't mean he actually broke bits of bone or something like that, just that he felt sharp pain.
And the trainer was called WHEN NADAL HAD SET POINT. Now just what is the point of doing that when you are one-two points away from the set? The consensus here among the haters seems to be that Nadal was strategizing for the tiebreak when they weren't even in the TB yet when Nadal called for the trainer. His "strategy" worked so well that he nearly lost the TB.

Actually he does in almost all of them, its just that Nadal usually doesn't play tight sets, and he doesn't need. It happens mostly on big slam matches or some big MS 1000 matches.

Nadal doesn't play tight sets? What are you smoking?

In 2011 alone he played something like 10-11 tiebreaks off the top of my head(so by your logic we should have had at least 10 MTO's this year) and has had many 7-5,6-4 sets won or lost.

4-5 instances is A LOT, and I'm sure there were many more. In fact, 1 time of ding this is enough

LMAO.

Yes, 4 or 5 out of 60, why that's like in 8% of his matches in 2011. The fiend!

I find it hilarious that people go on and on about Nadal's physical style yet are perplexed when he takes a MTO. Also, acting like MTO's are something illegal.

5-6 MTOs is A LOT. What are you smoking dude? Its more than the whole top 10 combined!

When you say more than the whole top 10 combined be prepared to back it up with some stats instead of shooting your mouth off.

If Nadal took 5-6(hell let's up the ante, let's say he took TEN) in 2011, are you actually suggesting that the rest of the TOP 10 took less than 10 MTO's combined for the first six months of the year?

batz
06-28-2011, 05:27 AM
bolded stuff

Murray did take a MTO when he hurt his ankle @ RG - he was winning at the time.

He didn't take an MTO in any of his other RG matches.

DjokovicForTheWin
06-28-2011, 05:46 AM

Interesting, who would have thought that removing tape from your leg would constitute an ACUTE injury requiring an MTO.

Magnus
06-28-2011, 05:48 AM
No it's not, it's an example of Fed crapping his pants.

Nadal took the tape off his legs BEFORE HIS OWN SERVE, at 2-5. What advantage can this possibly be for him? And you seem to ignore that Fed was so flustered that he had SET POINT on Nadal's serve right after. LMAO.

Doesn't matter! it still ruined Fed's momentum. How about Hamburg 2008 final! Same thing happened (nearly exactly same score and same timeline). Fed was crapping his pants yes, but he had to think, and that's bad. That's what the MTO does to the opponent, it gives him time to doubt himself, to lose the momentum. Set point or not, Fed was broken when he had to serve for the set, both in FO and Hamburg 2008.

No, Nadal said the FELT a crunch in his foot upon landing. Doesn't mean he actually broke bits of bone or something like that, just that he felt sharp pain.
And the trainer was called WHEN NADAL HAD SET POINT. Now just what is the point of doing that when you are one-two points away from the set? The consensus here among the haters seems to be that Nadal was strategizing for the tiebreak when they weren't even in the TB yet when Nadal called for the trainer. His "strategy" worked so well that he nearly lost the TB.

He may have had a SP but he felt JMDP's wrath, and as evidence DP went on to make this a completely competitive match, winning the 2nd set and taking Nadal to 2 TBs. I always thought Nadla would win this match, but Nadal knew it would be tough, and what's his most reliable weapon to break momentums? Exactly.

Nadal doesn't play tight sets? What are you smoking?

In 2011 alone he played something like 10-11 tiebreaks off the top of my head(so by your logic we should have had at least 10 MTO's this year) and has had many 7-5,6-4 sets won or lost.

What are you smoking? Most of Nadal's early rounds in slams end in straight sets, easy. Even against Muller Nadal was never in trouble because Muller was never a danger to him off the ground. All Nadal needed was Muller to lose a 1st serve and Nadal to make a return. Nada saves the MTO weapon for the big matches at slams.

LMAO.

Yes, 4 or 5 out of 60, why that's like in 8% of his matches in 2011. The fiend!

8% its A LOT!!!! It should happen 0% or at most 1%-2%. Face it, it happens way too often. Commentators have noticed that too, and they barely notice anything bad about Nadal.

I find it hilarious that people go on and on about Nadal's physical style yet are perplexed when he takes a MTO. Also, acting like MTO's are something illegal.

Nadal can play physical all he wants. Truth is, Nadal is fine and healthy, otherwise he wouldn't have been playing. Nadal uses it like a tactic.

When you say more than the whole top 10 combined be prepared to back it up with some stats instead of shooting your mouth off.

If Nadal took 5-6(hell let's up the ante, let's say he took TEN) in 2011, are you actually suggesting that the rest of the TOP 10 took less than 10 MTO's combined for the first six months of the year?

Well, Fed has taken none, and I believe Djokovic didn't, Ferrer didn't, did Sod? Don't think so. Murray did once, but other than that, who else?

Bolded yet again.

namelessone
06-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Interesting, who would have thought that removing tape from your leg would constitute an ACUTE injury requiring an MTO.

I presumed that that was a MTO to make my point. I don't know if it was actually a MTO or a quick snip of the tape by the trainer on a changeover.

People with better memories and/or knowledge can tell us what it was.

namelessone
06-28-2011, 06:20 AM
Bolded yet again.

Let me give you some stats on MTO with a quick google search:

Djoko and Fed I think took none.

Murray has 1 MTO so far(RG).

Sod took 3 MTO (AO 2011/WB 2011/Rome 2011), had work done on his ankle on a changeover in IW(but doesn't qualify as a MTO I think).

I'll add MTO's for Birdman,Ferrer,Monfils,Fish, Roddick, Melzer later.

cucio
06-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Murray has 1 MTO so far(RG).

You could arguably add the delay in the start of the MC semis, if you want to be picky.

Hitman
06-28-2011, 12:00 PM
You ask and Nadal/Delpo deliver :)

LOL! Yeah....I was there when this was happening. I do hope though that Nadal and Del Potro are both okay.