PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon champ - future for the top 4 after winning the tournament

tennis_pro
06-17-2011, 01:54 PM
1. Federer - winning Wimbledon would mean 7 titles in total (tieing Pete's record), GS no 17 and a huge confidence boost for future tournaments, if Fed wins Wimbledon I'd favor him for the US Open.

2. Nadal - victory here would mean the Channel Slam for the third time (second time in a row) and a hold iron grip over clay and grass, could well win the US with the confidence boost taken from winning the whole thing (see 2010). Grand Slam no 11 and only 5 behind Federer could make him work even harder to reach Federer's number.

3. Djokovic - first Slam not in Australia, he'd prove the world that he can win on any kind of surface, if he won here he'd be as good as a lock to finish the year at no 1 and would bring his win-loss record to 48-1 this year with only hard courts to be played on for the rest of the year. If he actually won Wimbledon, I don't think he'd lose more than 2 matches this year - thus having a great chance to do better than McEnroe did in 1984.

4. Murray - pressure of the shoulders, finally winning a major (especially if he is to beat Nadal or Federer in the semi/final) which is sort of his "home Slam", maybe we could see him do a Federer post-2003 when he finally won a major and started to dominate. I don't see Murray winning 30+ matches in a row but surely with all the new confidence and self belief he'd be a factor everywhere.

Don't think anyone else has a chance of winning Wimbledon this year.

Tammo
06-17-2011, 02:05 PM
What about Tsonga, he beat Nadal 6-1 in the 3rd set at queens, and almost beat Murray in the final.

tennis_pro
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
What about Tsonga, he beat Nadal 6-1 in the 3rd set at queens, and almost beat Murray in the final.

He has to beat Federer in QF, Djokovic in SF and Nadal/Murray in the F to win the tournament. I like the guy but just don't see him doing it.