PDA

View Full Version : Are Tennis Players Getting Paid More?

Patrick Smith
06-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi, I was reading some posts about whether tennis players get paid too much (which I don't think they are, when contrasted against other sport players), and rather then "necro" post something back from 2008, I figured I would simply create a new thread. I hope that's okay.

In the thread I was reading (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=75193&page=4), almost everyone seemed to agree that top tennis players, as a whole, do not get paid enough compared to other sports players, given the level of mental and physical energy spent throughout the year. That makes perfect sense to me.

One member said that he would not be surprised if there were less tennis players going pro in the future (right about now, I guess) because of the poor relative salary. Has this been happening? Are there less pro tennis players these days compared to 2006, or have some of the salary issues been resolved?

And by the way, this is my first post. Glad to be here (and glad that you have my favorite emoticon set...lol)!

Patrick

Heracles
06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
The prize money is going up.

By exemple a Wimbledon champion was winning 630 000 pound and now he is making 1 millions.

The total prize money increase for Wimbledon between 2005 and 2010 was 3.5 millions.

Patrick Smith
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Thank you for the amazingly swift reply, Heracles. :)

I'm glad to hear that Tennis is expanding in the respect. Very good!

Heracles
06-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I hear that the future former boss of the ATP had increased sponsoring revenus by something like 60%, not 100% sure of the number but it was a big increase.

Patrick Smith
06-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Future...former? lol!

At any rate, that certainly is a big increase. Good to hear!

The Bawss
06-18-2011, 12:46 AM
The prize money is going up.

By exemple a Wimbledon champion was winning 630 000 pound and now he is making 1 millions.

The total prize money increase for Wimbledon between 2005 and 2010 was 3.5 millions.

Prize money will always go up because of inflation. What you want to look at is the percentage increase of the prize money after inflation correction.

Patrick Smith
06-18-2011, 03:44 AM
That's a very good point, Bawss :). I didn't think of that at all.

Nadalfan89
06-18-2011, 04:22 AM
Federer and Nadal both make more money in a year than most other athletes in the world.

Gorecki
06-18-2011, 04:27 AM
Federer and Nadal both make more money in a year than most other athletes in the world.

A giraffe's age can be calculated from its spots, as the darker the spots, the older the giraffe.

feel free to add more trivialities to this thread!

FeVer
06-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Prize money will always go up because of inflation. What you want to look at is the percentage increase of the prize money after inflation correction.

Well unless inflation is roughly 40%, it doesn't explain the rise in prize money from 630,000 to 1 million.

FeVer
06-18-2011, 05:20 AM

Well unless inflation is roughly 40%, it doesn't explain the rise in prize money from 630,000 to 1 million.

jaggy
06-18-2011, 05:22 AM
What I find interesting is Conor Niland of Ireland is ranked 184 in the world and is in the final qualifying round at Wimbledon.

Almost half way through the year (2011) his earnings according to the ATP site (it seems to be combined singles and doubles) are $19,835. Yes, less than 20k.

The disparity in earnings is so bad it is almost like real life in America! That was a joke. Sort of.

Magnus
06-18-2011, 05:26 AM
The money that lower ranked players get is pathetic. Even players who are ranked in the top 50 aren't making a lot of money. The real rich ones are the top 5.

Patrick Smith
06-18-2011, 07:13 AM
The money that lower ranked players get is pathetic. Even players who are ranked in the top 50 aren't making a lot of money. The real rich ones are the top 5.

That's really unfortunate. What do you think the reasons for that are?

ssonosk
06-18-2011, 07:28 AM
That's really unfortunate. What do you think the reasons for that are?
The atp only shows money that they've made from just tennis. There's no telling how much money they've made from endorsements.

I also think it's probably the top 20 that make good money, the top 10 make really good money, and the top 5 make extremely good money.

The lower players don't get paid as much because they're simply not seen as much. If you're always making finals every other time then you're probably going to get paid more than someone who always makes semis.

a couple things that suck about tennis and why newcomers are slowing up are: when you're in the come up you make crappy money, you end up losing money paying to play tournaments (hotel, transportation, food, and tournament fees), and like every sport it takes luck to get a break through into the higher ranks. So unless your family is rich and support you 100% it's hard as crap to make it into like the top 150 (even if you are good).

Gorecki
06-18-2011, 07:31 AM
has anyone gonne thru Marc Giquel's career earnings??? just as a barometer obviously sice Marc Giquel is the run of the mill journey man!

JeMar
06-18-2011, 07:49 AM
has anyone gonne thru Marc Giquel's career earnings??? just as a barometer obviously sice Marc Giquel is the run of the mill journey man!

About 2.1 million in his 12 year career... So a little less than 200k/year, which isn't that much considering that most pros spend close to 50k just in travel expenses and other stuff.

The disparity in tennis salaries is really kinda disgusting when you compare it to other pro sports. Average NFL salary per year is about 1.75 million, NBA is about 5 million, and the MLB is 2.8 million. Even the average golfer makes close to a million dollars per year.

Average tennis players make... 280k per year.

http://www.freemoneyfinance.com/2006/09/salaries_of_ave.html

jackson vile
06-18-2011, 07:54 AM
For actual play, no other sport works harder than a tennis player period.

As for any athlete getting paid too much. I hope everyone understands that if the money does not go to the player, the guy everyone tunes in for, then it goes to the owners, coaches, and other fat cats.

Take a good look at the raping college players take each and every year.

Gorecki
06-18-2011, 08:12 AM
About 2.1 million in his 12 year career... So a little less than 200k/year, which isn't that much considering that most pros spend close to 50k just in travel expenses and other stuff.

The disparity in tennis salaries is really kinda disgusting when you compare it to other pro sports. Average NFL salary per year is about 1.75 million, NBA is about 5 million, and the MLB is 2.8 million. Even the average golfer makes close to a million dollars per year.

my reference is Footbal (soccer) and to me, the run of the mill journey man making 200K is not bad at all.

Devilito
06-18-2011, 08:20 AM
my reference is Footbal (soccer) and to me, the run of the mill journey man making 200K is not bad at all.

the run of the mil journeyman is not making 200k. That's if you're in the top 100 which is NOT the average player. Not to mention you take that 200k and subtract a bare minimum of 100k in expenses if you're a penny pincher. Then what you're left with is an average job. The average player makes no money on tour after expenses and most are from wealthy families or are doing it for the experience. So if you think that itís ok to only be making 200k/year when youíre one of the 100 best players in the world at your sport then you must be ok with only the rich being successful at that sport. The snobbery of tennis will never go away when all the money is concentrated towards to top 10 and basically fk everyone else.

Gorecki
06-18-2011, 08:42 AM
^^ heeeeeee, i never said that!!! please go back and read the within the context.

Sneezy
06-18-2011, 09:00 AM

I do think in general that players are getting paid more than their predecessors, like if you compared the earnings of the #100 ranked player from today to the #100 of the 1980's.

But that being said, players that are not winning a lot of matches or getting endorsement deals don't make very much for the amount of work they put in. Some are lucky if they get any appearance fee at all. Even top level tournaments only offer about what 2K to the first round loser, so they have to live off that while paying for travel and other expenses like hotels. The life of a tennis player is not that glamorous, just like the life of an aspiring chef.

ssonosk
06-18-2011, 09:05 AM
I do think in general that players are getting paid more than their predecessors, like if you compared the earnings of the #100 ranked player from today to the #100 of the 1980's.

But that being said, players that are not winning a lot of matches or getting endorsement deals don't make very much for the amount of work they put in. Some are lucky if they get any appearance fee at all. Even top level tournaments only offer about what 2K to the first round loser, so they have to live off that while paying for travel and other expenses like hotels. The life of a tennis player is not that glamorous, just like the life of an aspiring chef.

exactly the traveling a lone will put you into debt, not to mention getting a coach

Great Uncle Bulgaria
06-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Does n't the tennis association of each country help their players. Assuming your country has one that is.

Sneezy
06-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I believe they help the promising players. But Even if the players' association does help out with expenses, getting knocked out the 1st or 2nd round of challengers and futures does not generate a lot of income.

Patrick Smith
06-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Hmm... so unless you're pretty exceptionally skilled and start winning a lot of major tournaments early on or you have a lot of funding (parents, sponsors, something like that) then going pro is pretty tough?

Sneezy
06-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Hmm... so unless you're pretty exceptionally skilled and start winning a lot of major tournaments early on or you have a lot of funding (parents, sponsors, something like that) then going pro is pretty tough?

Well, think about the background of some of the top players both past and present. Many of them come from families that could support them financially. Tennis is still a very elitist sport. To become a good pro, you need to pay for the kid's equipment which is expensive, coaching, and traveling expenses. Tennis is not soccer or basketball where you can improvise and play on the cheap.

Heracles
06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Federer earned 52 millions $ and Nadal 31 millions $ last year.

Raphael
06-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I feel that professional athletes are overpaid.

Tennis players included.

Patrick Smith
06-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Raphael, I also feel that athletes are over valued and over paid a lot of the time, but I don't think that includes most tennis players besides those on the tippy top. If we didn't pay the MBA star millions a MONTH, then we'd have that much more money to help those who can't find work, the poor, and for medical treatment as well as other such things. Unfortunately, people like Tiger Woods need to have at least a few different dream homes around the world with private athletic training facilities.

Don't misunderstand me, I think that athletes who work hard 24/7 to get really good at their sport are awesome and definitely need to be paid well (assuming that people will pay to watch them), however I find it discouraging that society values the sport entertainment more than having good hospitals, good care for the poor, and various other types of things.

Know what I mean?

Devilito
06-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I feel that professional athletes are overpaid.

Tennis players included.

really? So who should get the money then, the owners? This way, the owners and players are all for the most part millionaires. If you pay the players less, then the owners become billionaires. What you and others fail to grasp is that players don't get paid with tax dollars. It's a business and the money is earned and has to go to somebody. If you don't like what they're making then stop watching it, stop buying merchandise and stop paying $10,000 for a front row seat at a grand slam final, then there will be less money to go around and players will make less. Simple math.