View Full Version : Roddick Draw: He can make atleast QF

Qubax
06-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Roddick plays;

1: Qualifier
2: Hanescu
3: F.Lopez - could be tricky, but not that bad
4: Monfils/Karlo/Janko
QF: Murray(probably Rod's best chance to get to the Semi's)

Not that bad IMO....

I think he can navigate this section and atleast get to play Murray...

iMpro
06-17-2011, 02:31 PM
I agree, I like his chances too but Gael has given him trouble in the past as well. I would be excited to see another Roddick/Murray clash

Qubax
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I agree, I like his chances too but Gael has given him trouble in the past as well. I would be excited to see another Roddick/Murray clash

Yah, you're right and maybe I am underestimating that 3rd Round a little too much

- Janko has beaten Roddick twice early in Slams
- Monfils has the athletecism/consistency to be good or bad
- and Karlovic, well you can't teach 6'9"

I can just see Roddick losing 7-6,6-7,6-7,4-6 to Karlo and being like, "You can't teach 6'9", your just trying to hang in there"

That said, I still think Roddick should make it too the QF, and then we'll see.....maybe by then Murray will start to feel some pressure

I mean, you gotta know pressure will be on Murray, and affect him more then Roddick

Torres
06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Bodo is simply nuts picking Roddick to win the tournament, after the draw has been announced. Maybe he's just trying to be attenion seeking in his old age...

Qubax
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Who is Bodo? Someone on this board?

NamRanger
06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Bodo is simply nuts picking Roddick to win the tournament, after the draw has been announced. Maybe he's just trying to be attenion seeking in his old age...

If Roddick plays aggressive and goes guns blazing he should easily make it to the QF where it would be anyone's game. The last encounter between Murray and Roddick was a combination of Murray playing really well and Roddick just not even going 100% (even though he wanted to; he just simply wasn't playing that well). We'll see what happens, but the first couple of days will be crucial to see Roddick's pacing. If he tries to play aggressive then he should have a good shot at making a deep run; otherwise he'll flame out early.

Qubax
06-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Andy didn't really play aggressive when he made the 09 Wimbly Final.....

I agree Andy needs to be aggressive...heck if he was aggressive he'd be a legit contender...

but Andy did push Fed and go deep in 09 playing basically the way he is now...

The only thing about 09 that was maybe different, is if everyone remembers Roddick had been specifically honing his two handed back hand and seemed to be hitting better in that two weeks then normal...

otherwise he still sliced the back hand a ton, rolled over the loopy FH, and really just relied on defense and his serve....

Anyway, playing aggressively will get him to the QF, and maybe even allow him to beat Murray and be a threat for the title....

playing all his traditional junk will leave him vulnerable, but may still lead to him getting to the QF's where Murray would kill him...

just my 23 cents

Mainad
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Who is Bodo? Someone on this board?

Peter Bodo is a senior Editor at the Tennis.com website:

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=12597&zoneid=9

Qubax
06-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Peter Bodo is a senior Editor at the Tennis.com website:

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=12597&zoneid=9

Bodo also picked Mardy Fish as his darkhorse...maybe he's biased towards Americans?

That said, I would LOVE if Roddick would/could win....

but he's gotta play uber aggressive and get a break or two....ie, drawing only one of Murray/Nadal on his way to the finals, not both

egn
06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
If Roddick tries to play pusher defense though I could see him going out to Lopez or Gael if they play strong. Lopez will attack and that could cause trouble and Gael defends better and moves much better so if they do get into rallies I can see him unleashing a few harsh forehands to win as well as Gael's serve is not too bad either that it can cause the Roddick return of serve issues. It will be interesting to see but I do think Roddick can get to the QF again

Xizel
06-17-2011, 03:12 PM
This is his last chance. He needs to go for broke.

Qubax
06-17-2011, 03:28 PM
If Roddick tries to play pusher defense though I could see him going out to Lopez or Gael if they play strong. Lopez will attack and that could cause trouble and Gael defends better and moves much better so if they do get into rallies I can see him unleashing a few harsh forehands to win as well as Gael's serve is not too bad either that it can cause the Roddick return of serve issues. It will be interesting to see but I do think Roddick can get to the QF again

Roddick did beat Lopez at the AEGON tourney....it was Roddick's first grass match this year, heck first match in 2 months-ish...

and Lopez had to play in the first round, which allowed Lopez to get into the tourney and get use to the grass a little...Roddick had a first round bye, and was cold and still pulled out a tough 3 setter against Lopez...

I imagine at Wimbly with a best of 5 setter that Roddick wouldn't fall to Lopez even playing the Defensive crap..... but you never know...

he's going to need to play aggressive to have a chance against Murray and it could certainly cost him in the 3rd round with dangerous floaters like Monfils, Janko and Karlo potentially hovering around...

Qubax
06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
This is his last chance. He needs to go for broke.

I think he's got one or two more years where he has a chance....

Physically I think he'll be fine for the next 24 months or so...

As long as Andy doesn't get demoralized I would imagine he'll put in a good push for Wimbly 2012 and the 2012 Olympics....

Roddick even mentioned last year that when he lost to Lu it was like a one year hang over from the loss to Fed in 09' Final....

This year I imagine(and next year two) he'll have as good a shot as 09...

I mean, in 09 people said that was his last chance...(and maybe it was, but not sure how next year is much different then this year)

Qubax
06-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Without starting a new thread, I thought I'd add to this one and throw out a hypothetical:

If Roddick by some miracle won Wimbledon 2011, how would it effect the rest of his season/career?

On one hand Andy would have a huge boost in confidence, hope, and probably a renewed desire(not that he ever lacked in desire)

On the other hand he'd enter the US Open, Aussie Open and Wimbly 2012/Olympics 2012 with a lot more pressure then he's been use to since around 05/06...

Thoughts?

Tammo
06-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Roddick will be tested if he plays Monfils in the 4th round, and I would expect Roddick to get through that match in 5 sets.

Qubax
06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Roddick will be tested if he plays Monfils in the 4th round, and I would expect Roddick to get through that match in 5 sets.

Monfils does have to get through Janko and Karlo to get there...

although I favour him to do so....

Gael is just so bloody inconsistent...basically the opposite of Roddick, talented, athletic, inconsistent, and an under achiever

Qubax
06-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Just started Rockin' the Roddick Avatar and Sig....

I know he sucks....but goooooo Andy!