PDA

View Full Version : Just Spray Painted My Racket

kian
06-29-2005, 03:44 AM
Here it is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/kiann/pj.jpg

Couldn't be bothered to wait for my strings to snap so I just sprayed it over. Cheap strings anyways.

And it was the laziest most ineffective method - no sanding, just sprayed 3 coats. I bet it'll chip easily but who cares. I'll be changing rackets soon.

Stupid crack... :(

ptuananh
06-29-2005, 03:48 AM
Why did you do that?

kian
06-29-2005, 03:55 AM
Why did you do that?

Why? Because I tried to mend the huge crack by using superglue. It works, lessens the vibration, but looks hella ugly.

AndrewD
06-29-2005, 04:04 AM
Have you weighed the racquet since you painted it?

kian
06-29-2005, 04:07 AM
Have you weighed the racquet since you painted it?

Haha, seriously I don't think there'll be much of a difference.

I'll be switching rackets soon anyways, so these will just be spares.

tschevap
06-29-2005, 04:34 AM
looks great! Something special!

MTChong
06-29-2005, 09:32 AM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my Diablos - all black would look pretty sweet, I think.

cheecl
06-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Won't the spray paint weaken the racquet? I know your frame is cracked anyway, but if it were'nt, then would spraying compromise the strength/structure of the frame?

voltman
06-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Paint weighs more than you may think.

tennisadict
06-29-2005, 05:58 PM
huhhhhhhh i wouldn`t mess around with painting, hope you get the right paint. If you buy a spary paint for a metal it will ruin your raket for sure

Belafonte
06-29-2005, 08:25 PM
really? how could painting your racket ruin it? i'v pretty resently painted a racket...i don't see how it would affect the structure of the frame; i did it to coverup all the scuffs on the frame.

wtennis206
06-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I ruined a PC600 trying to do that with spray paint. It was like acid or something. It ate through the throat (and looked like crap in general). Next time, take it to an autobody shop. Your pj looks pretty good though. I hope you have better luck than I did!

diredesire
06-29-2005, 11:02 PM
IF we're talking JUST about painting: the thing is you typically won't ruin a racquet's structure by painting it.. perhaps the current paint job underneath, but if you're going to re-paint/paint over a racquet, you might as well do it correctly. Get some paint stripper at freddy's or an auto shop (or home improvement store... etc)

And then strip the paint off, sand it down to it's prior primer and then:
Prime it.
Get some primer and color of spray paint you want, there is matte finishes, if you so prefer

Rule of thumb: the better you prepare the painting process, the better it will look/easier it will be (duh).

Sand the racquet down evenly, and make sure there are no weird bumps/scratches. Prime the racquet once, sand any bumps/imperfections down. If the graphite shows through again, lightly prime it again, sand and repeat until a satisfactory base coat remains on the racquet, You may want to wipe it down at this point and then let it dry (this is with plenty of dry time between coats, of course). The main thing to a good paint job is patience, it takes time.

Do the same thing as you did with the primer with the paint, layer/sand, layer/sand.

3 layers is probably plenty. Again, plenty of dry time and patience. Clear coat the frame if you are goign for a shiny finish, follow the directions if going for matte.

There are plenty of painting guides online for just about anything, Just be more careful as there are open holes etc in a racquet that you do not want to plug.

Exile
06-29-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my Diablos - all black would look pretty sweet, I think.

just remember the i.tour and then re-evaluate.

yvp
06-30-2005, 03:52 AM
Hey ,the racquets look good...

nViATi
06-30-2005, 07:49 AM
just remember the i.tour and then re-evaluate.
the i.tour looks dumb not because it's black but because
1) it has head and intelligence written in a huge size on it
2) it has a teardrop shape head

diredesire
06-30-2005, 11:55 AM
the i.tour looks dumb not because it's black but because
1) it has head and intelligence written in a huge size on it
2) it has a teardrop shape head

The i.Tour is a surprisingly nice frame to hit with, though. Good control for a lighter racquet, nice stability, good bite.. I was able to pick one up for $35, so that's why i own one ;)

The teardrop shape did throw me off though, i thought i was going to be hitting with a tear-drop shaped trampoline in the form of a tennis racquet, but it was surprisingly low powered. I think the graphics are OK, but i'd probably lose 'em, too.

Jonnyf
06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
i think it looks really cool BUT why don't you paint the LM ridges black then it would look even cooler

RafaN RichardG
06-30-2005, 12:37 PM
i think it looks cool, people will just be mistakenly thinking its a LM 8

ncode
06-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Wow... I like it :)