PDA

View Full Version : Bigger will to win Nadal or Sampras?

sarmpas
06-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Nadal and Sampras are both great fighters. Sampras was at times willing to literally spill his guts for a tennis match however he'd strangely bow down players who had no business beating him on clay. Nadal on the other hand is always trying to win regardless of the surface.

It's tough to pick between them Sampras literally being sick in order to win a match but knocks himself by being to having a weak spine at times on clay whereas Nadal consistently giving 100% on all surfaces.

Who'd you pick?

I voted for Nadal, edges it by a nose IMO.

Devilito
06-18-2011, 10:02 AM
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/tonyg11/petrosin5.jpg

kishnabe
06-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Sampras has a weak will sometimes....he would give up on some matches. He had a clutch serve that saved him! Nadal would do anything to win!

fed_rulz
06-18-2011, 08:14 PM
performance on their respective weakest surface should be a good indicator of will to win.

Nadal and it's not even close.

Sid_Vicious
06-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Nadal IMO. I think nobody tops Ralph in this department except maybe Jimbo.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/JoeDali/Connors-In-5.jpg

mellowyellow
06-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Too subjective, If Ralph played when the surfaces were different, S&V players floating around, and you only had 16 seeds, he probably would have skipped the grass all together just like his brethren did. I think Pete's will to win the clay in the Davis Cup pretty much spanks any effort that Ralph has ever had or will, plus Ralph is a proven quitter in majors with pathetic excuses. I can think of a few matches in Ralph's career where he looked completely George Busch Jr., like when Agassi would play Rios........

fed_rulz
06-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Too subjective, If Ralph played when the surfaces were different, S&V players floating around, and you only had 16 seeds, he probably would have skipped the grass all together just like his brethren did. I think Pete's will to win the clay in the Davis Cup pretty much spanks any effort that Ralph has ever had or will, plus Ralph is a proven quitter in majors with pathetic excuses. I can think of a few matches in Ralph's career where he looked completely George Busch Jr., like when Agassi would play Rios........

LOL, Petetards never fail to amaze me. So, Pete was his selfless warrior who cared about Davis cup more than his personal record? Is that why he could not muster the will to win in france?

mellowyellow
06-18-2011, 10:39 PM
You come up with a win that was harder fought by Nadal to refute the fact, and it was on his worst surface........ unlike today with the 4 variations of clay.

fed_rulz
06-18-2011, 10:49 PM
You come up with a win that was harder fought by Nadal to refute the fact, and it was on his worst surface........ unlike today with the 4 variations of clay.

so you basically admit that Pete would've gone slamless if he played today? good to know..

how can nadal play on surfaces that don't exist? of the "4 variations of clay" that exist his AO 09 SF and Finals trumps anything that Pete has done.

mellowyellow
06-18-2011, 11:08 PM
1 example of Nadal having a greater will than Pete in the well known clay Davis Cup match.

mellowyellow
06-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I would say I'll be waiting, but their is nothing to wait for is their.........

TheTruth
06-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Nadal...

Sometimes Pete just wasn't into it...

Nadal is always up for the challenge, knowing that every win or loss extends his range of experience.