PDA

View Full Version : Federer: "Djokovic has been great, but NOTHING extraordinary"

TennisFan3
06-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Federer "returns home" to bid for seventh title

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-18/201106181308406564528.html

Federer rates the chances of the top 4 on grass --

"Maybe [a few years ago] Rafa was still looking a little bit for how good he was on grass. We all knew he was good on clay - excellent on clay really - very good on hard courts, and grass you just never really get a chance to really prove yourself. I think as time went by, he showed how good he was; won a couple times here in the meantime. And Murray's game is very natural for this surface."

As for the fourth member of the quartet at the top of the tennis world right now, Federer couldn't resist another dig at Djokovic. "I think Djokovic has always been great, but nothing extraordinary yet.

But with the run he's on, obviously there's a lot of possibilities for him as well here," he said.

And so the mind games have begun.

Federer finds himself in the same half of the draw as the Serb, and if all goes to plan they would clash in the semi-final for the fourth straight time at a major.

"I didn't necessarily need to prove my point in Paris for my mind or for my confidence. I know I can beat Novak on any surface. I've done that in the past. Just because he's on a great winning streak doesn't mean he's unbeatable," he said.

"Here at Wimbledon anyway I'm even more confident. I think I'm a better player than in Paris, so I expect myself to do really well here, even better"

"The first time I hit here on Monday, very easily, like right away after 10 minutes, it feels so natural for me to play on grass.

And unfortunately for those who will come up against him at this year's Championships, Federer is dreaming big in 2011. When asked about the images he sees of Wimbledon when he closes his eyes, this was the response: "For me it's the moment when I lift the Wimbledon trophy really… that's the moment I see and I feel the strongest," he explained.

"All the hard work during the year and then the preparation and just staying focused and strong till the very end, to be able to lift up the trophy is a wonderful feeling. That's the picture I see."

In just two weeks, it's a picture the rest of the tennis world could be seeing for a seventh time.

Good to see, Federer confident, and sending out a message to his rivals.

Who's betting on Fed to win the tournament?

mandy01
06-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Good job omitting the 'yet' from the title and laying special emphasis on the word 'nothing'.You should be a member of the press. :rolleyes:

nikdom
06-18-2011, 09:33 AM
He's talking about Djokovic's performance on Grass over the years. Don't incite riots when you don't understand the context.

Here is the quote in context -
"I think all four guys at the top right now feel very comfortable on grass. That's maybe something that's a bit different than maybe in the past, where maybe one of the top four guys wouldn't feel so comfortable on grass," he said.
"But this year it seems like all of us are, which is a good thing. Murray's game is very natural for this surface. I think Djokovic has always been great, but nothing extraordinary yet. But with the run he's on, obviously there's a lot of possibilities for him as well here."

Djokovic has indeed been less successful at Wimbledon than at other GS events. He hasn't made the finals there yet.

RCizzle65
06-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Grass is the Djoker's weakest surface, and he hasn't shown to have the skills to win it. If Federer somehow loses early, I will be rooting for Roddick or Djokovic, but idk, like Federer said, he's been on a good run so it's not like he's just going to be pushed around. Last year's semi run that Djokovic had wasn't much of a test for him either, his only good win was Hewitt.

fundrazer
06-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Ehh, this was not necessary from Roger. Let your game do the talking, cause now if you lose to Djoker in semis you look like a clown. Not to mention Fed had to play very well in the FO semis and Djoker's level dipped for Fed to win. I mean I wouldn't have been surprised of Djoker beat Nadal there.

And another thing, the fact that Djoker has 4 wins over Nadal and 3? over Fed this year...that's pretty extraordinary in itself. Usually it's tough to manage even two wins over Nadal in a year or in a row. Djoker beat him 4 times. Those are my thougts anyway.

Messarger
06-18-2011, 09:36 AM
"Well for sure everybody has an opinion no? I think Roger is right that Novak is playing amazing tennis lately so very happy for him. If he gonna play in Wimbledon like how he play this season gonna be almost impossible to stop him. Roger also playing well no? He play unbelivable at the French Open and he will play well on grass too. If he close his eyes and he lift the trophy then can just congragulate him, but for me the only illusion is the first match with Russell. For me when i close my eyes try to see myself playing my best tennis. Only then i can have chances for the win."

Buckethead
06-18-2011, 09:36 AM
He took another cheap shot at Djokovic, I am really not liking Fed like I use to anymore, this was just unnecessary and out of context, if anything, Djokovic has proven He can play on grass(few semis more than Mopy Murray) and He is a major winner, unlike Murray.

I hoped Fed was going to be on Nadal's half and let Murray be beaten by Djoker, but unfortunately I won't be able to see Fed VS Djokovic final.

mandy01
06-18-2011, 09:41 AM
He's talking about Djokovic's performance on Grass over the years. Don't incite riots when you don't understand the context.

Don't bother.You can tell from the title itself that inciting riots was essentially the purpose.The subsequently bolded part of the original quote is further proof of what the OP really wants.

nikdom
06-18-2011, 09:41 AM
He took another cheap shot at Djokovic, I am really not liking Fed like I use to anymore, this was just unnecessary and out of context, if anything, Djokovic has proven He can play on grass(few semis more than Mopy Murray) and He is a major winner, unlike Murray.

I hoped Fed was going to be on Nadal's half and let Murray be beaten by Djoker, but unfortunately I won't be able to see Fed VS Djokovic final.

Djokovic is a big boy. He dishes it out too. No need to shed tears over this.

RedGuitar
06-18-2011, 09:42 AM

:confused:

He's talking about the top 4's history on grass. When Roger says "nothing extraordinary" he is probably comparing Nole's grass court history with his hard court history.

nikdom
06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
"Well for sure everybody has an opinion no? I think Roger is right that Novak is playing amazing tennis lately so very happy for him. If he gonna play in Wimbledon like how he play this season gonna be almost impossible to stop him. Roger also playing well no? He play unbelivable at the French Open and he will play well on grass too. If he close his eyes and he lift the trophy then can just congragulate him, but for me the only illusion is the first match with Russell. For me when i close my eyes try to see myself playing my best tennis. Only then i can have chances for the win."

LOL.. nice :)

Don't know if Nadal could've done it better.

norbac
06-18-2011, 09:48 AM

Huh? Both have two semis at Wimbledon and Murray has two Queens titles.

cp37070
06-18-2011, 09:50 AM
OP the sentence you're quoting in the title is missing an always and a yet. Changes things quite a bit doesn't it? Innocent mistake or ulterior motive I wonder? I see nothing wrong with the original quote. It is the truth and the truth with a positive spin at that. From the perspective of someone who's won Wimbledon 6 times calling Djokovic always great on grass is generous.

sureshs
06-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Djoker was rusty in his semifinal at FO. This time it will be different.

bolo
06-18-2011, 09:54 AM

I bow to my sensei. :)

wy2sl0
06-18-2011, 09:55 AM
The guy has 16 Grand Slams, arguable by most to be the greatest ever, and people are saying he is out of place saying Chokovic hasn't been able to produce on grass?

Before people talk trash, remember Nadal at 9(or is it 10 now? :-S) Fed at 16....

Murray 0
Djoker 2

I like Djokovic too.

batz
06-18-2011, 09:56 AM

You're just the gift that keeps on giving, aren't you.

Djokovic and Murray have both made a QF and 2 SFs at Wimbledon. Djokovic has zero grass titles, Murray has 2. Murray has never lost to an unseeded player or before R3 - unlike Novak. Novak's grass win % is 73%, Murray's is 80%. Since 2006, Murray has been beaten at Wimbledon only by Roddick and Nadal - whereas Novak has lost to Safin and Haas.

NadalAgassi
06-18-2011, 09:56 AM
I cant see Roger losing to Novak on grass, but then again I couldnt see Roger beating Novak on clay right now. I guess we will just have to see if the grudge match happens which it should with their draw. Djokovic is still the bigger threat to Nadal though, even on grass. Roger will never beat Nadal in a slam final again.

TennisFan3
06-18-2011, 09:57 AM

BRILLIANT!!

TMF
06-18-2011, 09:57 AM

Djokovic has indeed been less successful at Wimbledon than at other GS events. He hasn't made the finals there yet.

The OP is clueless.
He has no idea what Fed is talking about.http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/533.gif

TennisFan3
06-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I cant see Roger losing to Novak on grass, but then again I couldnt see Roger beating Novak on clay right now. I guess we will just have to see if the grudge match happens which it should with their draw. Djokovic is still the bigger threat to Nadal though, even on grass. Roger will never beat Nadal in a slam final again.

Never say Never. Fed did show some good strategy against Nadal in F.O, which could work well on grass. Still that was also because Nadal, himself, played a poor match, by his high standards in GS finals.

Overall, I agree with your point of Novak vs Fed in SF.

While Fed is the favorite, I have no doubt that Novak has chances to beat him. It's amazing what NOT having pressure can do to your tennis.

Djoker is under the radar, and no one is talking about him anymore. It's funny how he's gone to being a afterthought in a few weeks, after being "the story" on ATP. This is an ideal scenario for the Serb..

TheNatural
06-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I thought this was going to another case of Fed's typical psychological warfare. He's a champ at that.

There's still penty of time for Federer to start his famous psychoogical warfare tricks.

Cesc Fabregas
06-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Typical Federer, you'd think he'd have become more humble after the beatings Djoker and Nadal had given him this year but no...

Mick
06-18-2011, 11:45 AM
that's because federer has higher standards than most other tennis observers :)

zagor
06-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Oh look it's favourite Nadal fanboy pastime-thoural analysis of Fed's interviews.

BTW Fed's obviously talking about Novak's grasscourt performances but don't let that stop you humble keyboard warriors!

Sid_Vicious
06-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Oh look it's favourite Nadal fanboy pastime-thoural analysis of Fed's interviews.

BTW Fed's obviously talking about Novak's grasscourt performances but don't let that stop you humble keyboard warriors!

haha Agreed. The funny thing is that Novak would agree with Federer's assessment on his past Wimbledon performance. During WTF last year, I heard Novak talking about how he was disappointed in his Wimbledon SF performance against Berdych. Additionally, he told Navratilova (in an interview on tennis channel) at wimbledon 2010 that he felt that he could play much better on grass then he has in the past.

but hey, it is just mind games that Federer is playing. :lol: Novak is a beast on grass courts and Federer is just threatened.

Heracles
06-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Federer has a long record about firing shots at his opponents in press conference or interviews.

He called Nadal one dimensional, he said that Murray's game was negative and that he was not improving, he also insisted that Murray was slamless to add pressure on him before AO2010....

aceX
06-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Federer has a long record about firing shots at his opponents in press conference or interviews.

He called Nadal one dimensional, he said that Murray's game was negative and that he was not improving, he also insisted that Murray was slamless to add pressure on him before AO2010....

Murray is indeed slamless. It is a fact.

Mainad
06-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Murray is indeed slamless. It is a fact.

Sure,but crafty old Fed couldn't resist playing mind games by reminding Murray and everyone else of that fact just before his final against him at the 2010 AO.
Unfortunately,it worked!

seffina
06-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Look, this is true, no? Roddick is more extraordinary than Novak on grass. Hewitt is more extraordinary than Novak on grass.

I think he has all the tools to become extraordinary this year. His movement and fitness are better. His serve's better. His forehand's better. As long as they all come together in a match, he can beat anyone.

Roger's not one to underplay or overplay things. That's just who he is. Why should he be any different? It has made him the most successful tennis player ever. He always believes in his abilities to come out on top - that's what works for him. Good on him.

Novak can prove him wrong, but Roger's not going to make it easier for him by giving him some words of comfort and what not.

Besides he said yet.

If I close my eyes, I also see Roger holding the seventh SW19 trophy. And I'm a super humble fan. :p

oy vey
06-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Huh? Both have two semis at Wimbledon and Murray has two Queens titles.
Yes, against Fish and Tsonga

Regarding the remark Fed made about Novak....

Maybe he's just ****ed off for being seeded 3.

sdont
06-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Good. When Fed makes this kind of statements, he usually delivers.

I wonder if it's some kind of pressure he deliberately puts on himself.

zagor
06-18-2011, 03:44 PM
haha Agreed. The funny thing is that Novak would agree with Federer's assessment on his past Wimbledon performance. During WTF last year, I heard Novak talking about how he was disappointed in his Wimbledon SF performance against Berdych. Additionally, he told Navratilova (in an interview on tennis channel) at wimbledon 2010 that he felt that he could play much better on grass then he has in the past.

but hey, it is just mind games that Federer is playing. :lol: Novak is a beast on grass courts and Federer is just threatened.

Yes,what Fed said is a common and logical opinion,Novak historically hasn't been that great on grass but with his amazing winning streak and sort of tennis he displayed this year you can't count him out as a contender even on his worst surface.

Mainad
06-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Blake and Tsonga.

zagor
06-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Sure,but crafty old Fed couldn't resist playing mind games by reminding Murray and everyone else of that fact just before his final against him at the 2010 AO.
Unfortunately,it worked!

Here's an interview in which he played "mind games" with Murray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rh6IO_sZys

Does that seem serious to you?

Really whatever Fed said pales in comparison to the enormous pressure Murray always feels in the finals of a slam,I doubt it had any effect whatsoever.

dcdoorknob
06-18-2011, 04:04 PM
It's impressive how some people don't let things like what was actually said and context get in the way of a good old Federer bashing.

DragonBlaze
06-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Here's an interview in which he played "mind games" with Murray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rh6IO_sZys

Does that seem serious to you?

Really whatever Fed said pales in comparison to the enormous pressure Murray always feels in the finals of a slam,I doubt it had any effect whatsoever.

Thanks for that, I forgot how hilarious that interview was. It's funny that people say Murray got affected by Fed's so called "mind games". So did Djoker play some mind games this year as well considering Murray was flat yet again in the final? :rolleyes:

It's impressive how some people don't let things like what was actually said and context get in the way of a good old Federer bashing.

The problem is TF3's ridiculously sensationalist thread headline. That does make it sound a tad bad, but ofcourse when you realise he's talking about GRASS, it's a bit like, no kidding. Djoker has ofcourse been great, but nothing more on grass. And Federer pointed out that things could very well change considering the confidence he has this year.

But as you said, this is TW, people see what they want to see. As always.

CocaCola
06-18-2011, 04:44 PM
That was refereed to Djokovic on grass at Wimby and he is right but it's going to be a different story this year.

mcr619619
06-18-2011, 06:58 PM
The OP just wanted federer look like bashing djoker... it's clearly that fed was talking about Nole's Grass court play, though nole reached 2 semis of Wimby, if you watch the game, it's not that excellent like in hardcourt/clay...but fed's said that now that Djoker is in Dominating form , djoker is a big threat...

nadalbestclass
06-18-2011, 07:34 PM

LOL! You do the BEST Rafa impersonations! I could so hear him say this.

powerangle
06-18-2011, 07:58 PM

Yup, that's basically what Rafa would say. A polar 180 degrees from Fed. Federer is blatant and says what he thinks...Rafa is more PC...humble maybe...but not foolish (as he says so himself).

Sentinel
06-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Darn, won't this Fred guy realize that his statements about others backfire. Or maybe he's trying to fire up Joker, so that Joker wins the title this time.

Agassifan
06-18-2011, 09:55 PM

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-18/201106181308406564528.html

"Maybe [a few years ago] Rafa was still looking a little bit for how good he was on grass. We all knew he was good on clay - excellent on clay really - very good on hard courts, and grass you just never really get a chance to really prove yourself. I think as time went by, he showed how good he was; won a couple times here in the meantime. And Murray's game is very natural for this surface."

As for the fourth member of the quartet at the top of the tennis world right now, Federer couldn't resist another dig at Djokovic. "I think Djokovic has always been great, but nothing extraordinary yet.

But with the run he's on, obviously there's a lot of possibilities for him as well here," he said.

Federer finds himself in the same half of the draw as the Serb, and if all goes to plan they would clash in the semi-final for the fourth straight time at a major.

"I didn't necessarily need to prove my point in Paris for my mind or for my confidence. I know I can beat Novak on any surface. I've done that in the past. Just because he's on a great winning streak doesn't mean he's unbeatable," he said.

"Here at Wimbledon anyway I'm even more confident. I think I'm a better player than in Paris, so I expect myself to do really well here, even better"

"The first time I hit here on Monday, very easily, like right away after 10 minutes, it feels so natural for me to play on grass.

And unfortunately for those who will come up against him at this year's Championships, Federer is dreaming big in 2011. When asked about the images he sees of Wimbledon when he closes his eyes, this was the response: "For me it's the moment when I lift the Wimbledon trophy really… that's the moment I see and I feel the strongest," he explained.

"All the hard work during the year and then the preparation and just staying focused and strong till the very end, to be able to lift up the trophy is a wonderful feeling. That's the picture I see."

In just two weeks, it's a picture the rest of the tennis world could be seeing for a seventh time.

Can't sleep thinking about 16, 237, 23, etc?

cucio
06-19-2011, 01:47 AM
I think trash talking is great to boost the audience interest for the sport, it augments the drama involved in one-on-one confrontations.

If Djokovic is nothing extraordinary, on grass or in general, I wonder how the rest of the field below the top 4 feels then, heh. Those are some lofty standards indeed.

No one can deny SexyRogi is a pure classy ambassador for the sport. Always love <3

Sid_Vicious
06-19-2011, 01:48 AM
I think trash talking is great to boost the audience interest for the sport, it augments the drama involved in one-on-one confrontations.

If Djokovic is nothing extraordinary, on grass or in general, I wonder how the rest of the field below the top 4 feels then, heh. Those are some lofty standards indeed.

No one can deny SexyRogi is a pure classy ambassador for the sport. Always love <3
Yeah Federer would have been better off calling Novak the favorite to win.

zagor
06-19-2011, 01:56 AM

Up to this point Novak hasn't been extraordinary on grass,Fed is dead right on this one.If Novak's form haven't been so amazing this year people wouldn't put him up there with Nadal and Fed as favourites for the title at Wimbledon.

Novak did reach 2 Wimbledon SF but overall most of the time lost to the first inform grasscourt player he met,it is by far his worst surface.Murray is more natural on grass despite the fact that Novak is much more battle proven at the latest stages of slams which is why many put him above or equal to Murray as one of the favourites for the title.

Sentinel
06-19-2011, 02:24 AM
http://i52.tinypic.com/10wvghl.jpg

taken from wimbledon.com

cucio
06-19-2011, 03:57 AM
Up to this point Novak hasn't been extraordinary on grass

1) What is extraordinary? Where do we set the limit? Are Agassi, Hewitt, Roddick or Nalbandian extraordinary?

2) Once the limit is set, whatever it is, why would you say publicly such or such player is not extraordinary?

zagor
06-19-2011, 04:33 AM
1) What is extraordinary? Where do we set the limit? Are Agassi, Hewitt, Roddick or Nalbandian extraordinary?

For me extraordinary is the level of tennis that is good enough for you to contend for the title(meaning you have an actual chance to win it).

Agassi,Hewitt and Roddick are extraordinary on grass,for Nalbandian it's his worst surface and it's more a set of circumstances that saw him reach the final than anything else.

So far I haven't seen Novak display the level of tennis on grass that is good enough for the title:

-In 2007 he reached the SF but was going 4-5 sets almost every round.

-In 2008 he lost to a past his prime Safin on his(Marat's)worst surface.

-In 2009 he went down to Haas despite the fact that Haas was beginning to show his usual nerves when he was in the lead.When he was playing well I felt Haas completely controlled the match.

-in 2010 went down to Berdych in straights.

Despite what you may think this hasn't got anything to do with me being a Fed fan,Novak fan,Novak hater etc. I'd agree with this assertion no matter which player/expert/journalist said it.

Fed and Nadal are two main contenders,Murray is natural on grass and Novak is a contender because of his amazing form his year not because of his past performances on the surface.

2) Once the limit is set, whatever it is, why would you say publicly such or such player is not extraordinary?

Because he was asked a question? Fed even said nothing extraordinary yet,meaning it may change this year given that Novak is probably playing the best tennis of his life.

Not that Fed never took a dig at Novak and Murray(and they returned the favour)but I don't really see this as one.Even if I didn't agree with Fed's opinion this is a bit too lightweight for me to consider it trashtalking but to each his own.

DragonBlaze
06-19-2011, 05:51 AM
It really shows how deprived we are of ACTUAL trash talking in tennis now (for better or worse), when we start considering statements like this "trash talk".

flyinghippos101
06-19-2011, 05:56 AM
People need to read the quote in context rather than let the OP cherry pick parts of sentences for a more interesting title. You just end up looking foolish.

Shame OP.

Gizo
06-19-2011, 05:57 AM
I wish Roddick had landed in Djokovic's quarter when the draw was made because that is a match-up that I really want to see on grass. Lu prevented it from happening last year when he beat Roddick in the 4th round.

sbengte
06-19-2011, 06:26 AM
(found this on the Federer news thread) Fed is being quite nice to Murray here. Fed haters, do you spot any mind games ?

Andy Murray good enough to in Wimbledon says Roger Federer

Scotsman.com
Published Date: 18 June 2011

Roger Federer has not turned up for second prize but if he cannot win another Wimbledon title he would love Andy Murray to walk away with the trophy.

Beaten in the 2009 and 2010 semi-finals, by Andy Roddick and then Rafael Nadal, it might be Murray's destiny to triumph and end Britain's long wait for a men's singles champion, which stands at 75 years.

But whereas he has reached a final at the US Open and two at the Australian Open, in his 'home' grand slam Murray has fallen frustratingly short.

Federer claims the Scot is "way good enough" to take one of the tennis majors, and the six-time Wimbledon winner would welcome him into the champions' circle.

"It would be great if he were to win the tournament. I think that's the mindset of many people, and himself as well," Federer said.

"So I don't think people are getting too ahead of themselves. I think it's more the media expecting him to finally win a grand slam. (Ivan) Lendl lost many grand slam finals before he won his first."

Federer is right. Lendl was runner-up four times before finally making his breakthrough at the 1984 French Open, shortly after turning 24, and the Czech won eight grand slams.

Murray had his 24th birthday last month, and Federer said: "I think he's way good enough to win a grand slam. To me it's just a matter of time.

"He'll definitely have, what, another eight years, 10 years of chances to win Wimbledon. It would be nice if he won it this year for him and the British fans."

It was a valiant attempt to preach patience to a nation which last had a man conquer Wimbledon in 1936, when Fred Perry triumphed, and Federer even saw another reason to believe Murray can live with the expectations.

"Well, he's not the defending champion, so he doesn't face that pressure," said the world number three of the world number four.

"Even though that would be a nicer pressure to face, I would think. That means you've already won the tournament."
http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis/And...-to.6787377.jp

Mainad
06-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Fed's been saying this sort of thing for years.But whenever he has to face Murray in a final,his tone subtly changes to his 'concern' for all the pressure his opponent must now be facing,not having ever won a Slam so far etc.etc. Always said with a smile of course!

BTW,I'm certainly no Fed-hater.He was my tennis idol for years.Still is in many ways.To me,he is the tennis players' tennis player.But he's not averse to the odd bit of psychological warfare.All done in the best possible taste of course!

tacou
06-19-2011, 07:39 AM
Fed is great with English, all this is is a SLIGHT miscue. Djoko has made 2 semis at Wimbledon. By Djokovic's standards this is good, but not great, its not a final or a victory. that's all Roger said. jeeez some people

ksbh
06-19-2011, 07:43 AM
http://reviews.in.88db.com/images/stories/ramarajan2.jpg

powerangle
06-19-2011, 11:57 AM

You do know that these quotes are always part of a larger context? It's not like Federer decided to hold a press conference and announce his feelings about Djokovic. Almost every single time, these quotes were elicited because said player was ASKED directly about it.

And there is nothing wrong with what Fed said. As of yet, Novak hasn't accomplished that much on grass, relative to his outstanding performances on other surfaces. Doesn't mean that it won't change.

Geez...people need to stop making a mountain out of a molehill.

DjokovicForTheWin
06-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Have to disagree with Fed here. I think Djokovic has been quite EXTRAORDINARY. Yes he did lose to Fed, but the match was extremely close and could have gone either way. Had Djokovic won against Fed, he likely would have gone on to defeat in straight sets in the final and would have been half way to the CYGS. Sure would could shoulda, but 41-1 is still quite extraordinary.

nikdom
06-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Have to disagree with Fed here. I think Djokovic has been quite EXTRAORDINARY. Yes he did lose to Fed, but the match was extremely close and could have gone either way. Had Djokovic won against Fed, he likely would have gone on to defeat in straight sets in the final and would have been half way to the CYGS. Sure would could shoulda, but 41-1 is still quite extraordinary.

Hey Dijana, do you even know what Roger is talking about?

jamesblakefan#1
06-19-2011, 12:21 PM

While Novak has lost to Haas (x2), Malisse, and Safin in recent years on grass. Nice job cherry picking.

There's no argument, up to this point Murray has been better on grass than Djokovic. Nothing at all inflammatory about what Fed said, some ppl on here as always just lack reading comprehension.

Rhino
06-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Federers exact quote was:

"Djokovic has been nothing extraordinary yet on grass, but with the run he's on, obviously there's a lot of possibilities for him as well here".

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/9516432.stm

Ommitting the "yet on grass" part of the quote is shameful, and serves to purposely try to make Federer look bad.

MajinX
06-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Federers exact quote was:

"Djokovic has been nothing extraordinary yet on grass, but with the run he's on, obviously there's a lot of possibilities for him as well here".

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/9516432.stm

Ommitting the "yet on grass" part of the quote is shameful, and serves to purposely try to make Federer look bad.

sometimes i wonder why the OP even does this, does he think that no1 will actually check the real quote? or do they not even think at all

TennisFan3
06-19-2011, 08:51 PM

NOTHING was omitted. The article I got was from the OFFICIAL Wimbledon site:

As for the fourth member of the quartet at the top of the tennis world right now, Federer was measured in his recognition of Djokovic's achievements this year. "I think Djokovic has always been great, but nothing extraordinary yet. But with the run he's on, obviously there's a lot of possibilities for him as well here," he said.

So which is accurate Wimbledon.com or BBC??

mandy01
06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
NOTHING was omitted. The article I got was from the OFFICIAL Wimbledon site:

Plain lie.Look at the thread title and then go look at the quote.There is an obvious discrepancy .Don't even think of pretending otherwise.

jk175d
06-20-2011, 05:29 AM
[QUOTE=nikdom;5755307]He's talking about Djokovic's performance on Grass over the years. Don't incite riots when you don't understand the context.

exactly, very faux-news-esque selective quoting by the OP

Omega_7000
06-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Good job omitting the 'yet' from the title and laying special emphasis on the word 'nothing'.You should be a member of the press. :rolleyes:

The OP looks like he wants attention by ignoring the context in which this was said.

Here let me repeat this so you blind *******s with reading comprehension issues can understand

"I think all four guys at the top right now feel very comfortable on grass. That's maybe something that's a bit different than maybe in the past, where maybe one of the top four guys wouldn't feel so comfortable on grass," he said.
"But this year it seems like all of us are, which is a good thing. Murray's game is very natural for this surface. I think Djokovic has always been great, but nothing extraordinary yet. But with the run he's on, obviously there's a lot of possibilities for him as well here."

Marius_Hancu
06-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Of course, the OP is an idiot in terms of reading a context. Learn to read. Even after that, don't post using capitals. That's elementary on the Web, it means shouting.

Messarger
07-01-2011, 03:47 AM
Dont close your eyes next time, Fed.

Omega_7000
07-01-2011, 03:54 AM

Read the complete interview you ignorant ****

Messarger
07-01-2011, 04:00 AM
Read the complete interview you ignorant ****

I did, you insecure ****.

Rippy
07-01-2011, 04:49 AM

He was talking about Djokovic on grass. Surely you would agree Djokovic has not achieved as much on grass as on other surfaces?

I don't think Federer predicted he would get further than Djokovic at Wimbledon, so I'm not quite sure what your problem is.

Omega_7000
07-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Then you have some serious reading comprehension issues!

cp37070
07-01-2011, 06:08 AM
He was talking about Djokovic on grass. Surely you would agree Djokovic has not achieved as much on grass as on other surfaces?

I don't think Federer predicted he would get further than Djokovic at Wimbledon, so I'm not quite sure what your problem is.

Federer is still right. Djokovic has done nothing extraordinary on grass. He makes his first Wimbledon final with a very easy draw. Great. Even if he wins on Sunday it still doesn't change what at the time was an accurate assessment.

TMF
07-01-2011, 06:40 AM

The comment was 2 weeks ago before W started. You don't take a person's past opinion and assumed he would say the same in the present(or future).

jackson vile
07-01-2011, 07:35 AM
I think Novak has been more than amazing personally, and if he makes it to finals then there is no arguing. This will really be wrapped up by the end of summer after USO or WTF.

decades
07-01-2011, 07:37 AM
nothing extraordinary, like feds backhand.

Buckethead
07-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Fed just missed another opportunity to shut up and go work on his game.

jackson vile
07-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Fed just missed another opportunity to shut up and go work on his game.

Or he is picking a fight for the USO?

fednad
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM

You need to meet RamShankar Nikumbh of "Taare Zameen Par" fame.
He is the guy who produces wonderful results with dyslexic children.

Fed_Djoker_Fan
02-14-2014, 03:11 PM

lol...Federer disagrees to Djokovic 2011

Nathaniel_Near
02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Federer should repeat this but without the 'yet' just so Djokovic tries extra hard to win RG.

Pro strats.

Backspin1183
02-14-2014, 04:26 PM
USO '11 semi final was awesome :)

90's Clay
02-14-2014, 06:21 PM
2011 was nothing extraordinary?? huh..

Typical Fed, never giving anyone credit. That egomaniacal jerk

Sid_Vicious
02-14-2014, 07:43 PM

How do you even accomplish basic tasks in life? Read, you pompous clown.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/...406564528.html

Prior to Wimbledon 2011, Djokovic had 0 grass court titles. And guess what? Djokovic is still nothing extraordinary on grass judging by how badly he has gotten outplayed at the last two Wimbledons.

Noelan
02-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Roger has always been disrespecful towards Novak,Andy as well.He only have respect for Rafa who owns him extraordinary thru his whole career.Can you imagine what would happen if the situation was reversed.
And the way how Roger lost to Stakhovksky from all people in R2 W13 is really extraordinary:oops:

underground
02-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Well that comment was pre-Wimbly right? Yeah Djokovic only won the AO up until that point, plus Fed just stopped his 43 match winning streak so you can see why he said that.

spinovic
02-15-2014, 06:35 AM

Djokovic had won two slams and Federer had just snapped his great win streak at RG that year. Just so you realize that comment did not occur yesterday. What he said was 100% accurate at the time.

If not, I reckon we need to bump Andy Murray up to extraordinary status since a Wimbledon and USO is at least equal to a couple of Aussie titles.

90's Clay
02-15-2014, 06:36 AM
Djokovic had won two slams and Federer had just snapped his great win streak at RG that year. Just so you realize that comment did not occur yesterday. What he said was 100% accurate at the time.

If not, I reckon we need to bump Andy Murray up to extraordinary status since a Wimbledon and USO is at least equal to a couple of Aussie titles.

Djoker could have won the calendar slam in 2011, and Fed wouldn't have called it "extraordinary". Fed has always had a chip on his shoulder for Djoker. its no secret

heninfan99
02-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Did Djoker achieve anything amazing on grass yet in 2009? I don't see this particular comment as a dig unless you take it out of context. Good forum fodder though. :-)

underground
02-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Djoker could have won the calendar slam in 2011, and Fed wouldn't have called it "extraordinary". Fed has always had a chip on his shoulder for Djoker. its no secret

But did he win the calendar slam? No. Who was it who stopped him? Federer. :lol:

sam_p
02-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Great example of Djoker fan persecution complex. When someone (in this case Fed) fails to acclaim Djoker as the SOG, then they have a chip on their shoulder. In temporal context Fed was clearly justified in his comments.

Emiliano55
02-15-2014, 11:44 AM
You guys realize that Federer was talking about his performance ON GRASS ?

Gosh, dont you read the articles ?

I can't belive this is a 5-page topic with bashes to Federer everywhere while he actually didn't say anything wrong: Grass is Djokovic's weakest surface. And even though he won 1 Wimbledon already, he is still beatable at this surface, more than any other surface. Besides the fact he said that like 2 or 3 years ago.

Geeeez.

Agassifan
02-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Coming into Wimbledon 2011, Djokovic had won two slams and his "run" included 1 title and one semi-final. That wasn't extraordinary.

SublimeTennis
02-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Come on that's just a head game Fed's playing on Novak, nice to see a little psych job in Tennis.

Novak said, true or not that he couldn't beat Fed or Nadal because mentally he was just too intimidated. Fed knows what it's like to doubt yourself, ask yourself "Am I really this great", that speech played right into Novaks mind..

Find that funny.

rainingaces
02-15-2014, 03:21 PM

I miss buckethead, this place has never been the same without him. :cry: