PDA

View Full Version : Sport Illustrated favourites for Wimbledon

Heracles
06-18-2011, 01:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/tennis/06/17/wimbledon.mens.picks/index.html?sct=tn_t11_a4

Each member of their tennis staff picks a winner, a sleeper and a flameout.

Sid_Vicious
06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
What do the terms sleeper and flame-out mean?

JeMar
06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
It's interesting that more SI writers chose Murray over Djokovic and Federer's not even on the list.

Heracles
06-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Sleeper: Someone who is not expected to go far but could go to the end.

Flameout: Early exit for a well ranked player.

JeMar
06-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Sleeper is a player that might unexpectedly go deep in the draw. A flame-out is a player that will go out much earlier than expected.

Sid_Vicious
06-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Flameout: Early exit for a well ranked player.

Sleeper is a player that might unexpectedly go deep in the draw. A flame-out is a player that will go out much earlier than expected.

Thanks, homies. :)

seffina
06-18-2011, 01:48 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/tennis/06/17/wimbledon.mens.picks/index.html?sct=tn_t11_a4

Each member of their tennis staff picks a winner, a sleeper and a flameout.

Seriously? What the heck? Not a single Roger pick? That's whack.

rovex
06-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Raonic as a sleeper is quite simply hilarious. Either way the early exits fit the bill (no Berdych??) i reckon. I guess Berdych didn't even deserve a mention but that's not exactly earth shattering.

pound cat
06-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Some american thing I guess.

TheNatural
06-18-2011, 02:04 PM

It's interesting that more SI writers chose Murray over Djokovic and Federer's not even on the list.

Havnt you heard- Wimbledon is all about Nadal.

Tammo
06-18-2011, 02:10 PM
suprised Roger isn't on the list.

jukka1970
06-18-2011, 02:16 PM

It's Sport's Illustrated, what do you expected. One of the worst sports magazines out there. They never give a damn about any of the sports outside of baseball, basketball, football and hockey. Most of the time, they don't even write about tennis. And I've said this a lot of times, before this years picks, so it's not just based on no one picking Federer.

Heracles
06-18-2011, 02:24 PM
It's Sport's Illustrated, what do you expected. One of the worst sports magazines out there. They never give a damn about any of the sports outside of baseball, basketball, football and hockey. Most of the time, they don't even write about tennis. And I've said this a lot of times, before this years picks, so it's not just based on no one picking Federer.

It's their tennis writers who made the pick. The thing that made me laugh was the "anyone german".

Here are the women picks http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/tennis/06/17/wimbledon.womens.picks/index.html?sct=tn_t11_a5

Hitman
06-18-2011, 02:27 PM

No. Wimbledon will always be Sampras' yard. He is still the measuring stick when it comes to grass all time greats, and he owned that place like no other. Nadal doesn't come close to him.

bolo
06-18-2011, 02:54 PM
are the espn picks out yet?

kOaMaster
06-18-2011, 03:00 PM
it's sports illustrated - like they would care about tennis if no american is winning...

Marty502
06-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Djokovic a flameout? Wow, Liza's got balls.

What do you guys think of JMDP as a sleeper?
I really hope he goes deep, I saw a TV interview with him a few months ago and the poor kid is gutted with his injury.

He said something like "One day, a future #1. And the next day, nobody".

:(

sdont
06-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Looks like they didn't even look at the draw. Nadal is the winner but Raonic is a sleeper? Lol.

Gael is a flameout? He never got past the 3rd rd at W, so it wouldn't be a surprise.

Tammo
06-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Nadal should be nervous if he plays Raonic

batz
06-18-2011, 03:59 PM
How can nobody pick Roger?:shock:

norbac
06-18-2011, 04:25 PM
lol at the person who picked Nadal as the winner and Raonic as the sleeper.

Mustard
06-18-2011, 04:35 PM

This is what's called a "dark horse" in my neck of the woods.

Tyrus
06-18-2011, 04:43 PM
"Anyone German" in the sleeper category makes perfect sense if anyone has been paying attention so far in the grass tournaments.

zagor
06-18-2011, 04:46 PM
How can nobody pick Roger?:shock:

Is that really that surprising? Fed's love affair with tennis journalists has been over for a while now,heck coming into FO he was a "forgotten man".

If/when he wins another slam they're gonna go over the top with praises for him and pick him to win slams again.

Tammo
06-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I would say Djokovic is winner, Isner or Tsonga are sleepers, and Berdych as flameout.

norbac
06-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I have Berdych as the winner, Berdych as the runner up, Berdych as the sleeper, and Berdych as the flame out.

TennisFan3
06-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Awful picks. Not picking Fed is foolish at BEST and borderline insane at WORST!

seffina
06-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Awful picks. Not picking Fed is foolish at BEST and borderline insane at WORST!

They're ruining all the good work you've done trying to portray Rafa as the underdog. :p

TheBoom
06-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Roanic is going to do good i hope grass should float his boat

MichaelNadal
06-18-2011, 06:03 PM
The only thing I find surprising is picking Murray over Federer. 10 lol's!

TennisFan3
06-18-2011, 06:05 PM
They're ruining all the good work you've done trying to portray Rafa as the underdog. :p
I'm not saying Nadal is the underdog. He's #2 favorite w.r.t past history.
He's #3 favorite w.r.t form this year.

Anyway, picking Murray over Fed is crazy IMO. And if there are so many people making the picks, some should have picked Fed. See the bookies odds, where Fed leads..

flyinghippos101
06-18-2011, 06:06 PM
No one has picked Fed; the SI oracles have spoken, now begone puny mortals

NLBwell
06-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Because of magazine deadlines I'm guessing they had to make their picks pre-French Open semifinals (I didn't read the article, so I don't know for sure). Still, I would think someone would have picked Federer.

Tony48
06-18-2011, 06:24 PM
lol at the person who picked Nadal as the winner and Raonic as the sleeper.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. Raonic is going to make a great, deep run.........all the way to the 3rd round apparently.

My pick: Isner is the winner and Mahut is the sleeper :twisted:

wy2sl0
06-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. Raonic is going to make a great, deep run.........all the way to the 3rd round apparently.

My pick: Isner is the winner and Mahut is the sleeper :twisted:

:):):)

They didn't even look at the draw before they made their predictions.

mcr619619
06-18-2011, 06:41 PM
No Fed? you gotta be kiddin' ... well, i do think Nadal or Murray will win...but i hope it's fed...

Raphael
06-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Are any of those experts ex-tennis players?

stringertom
06-18-2011, 07:11 PM
After all, this is a magazine that failed to name Fed as their Sportsman of the Year in any of the three years he won 3 majors. The whole Red Sox team were named in '04, followed by Dwayne Wade in '06. I can understand the Red Sox pick...their comeback vs. the Yanks and their first championship since 1918, but Dwayne Wade? He doesn't win that ring without Shaq.

The biggest insult was in '07 when the Slightly Insane chose over-the-hill Brett Favre as SOTY. He didn't even win a championship!

BTW, the Slightly Insane have a habit of snubbing superheroes...the true Home Run King, Hank Aaron was never SOTY, not even the year he passed Babe Ruth. They've had almost 40 years to correct that glaring omission.

bolo
06-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Let's all boycott SI! :)

FedEx23
06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
After all, this is a magazine that failed to name Fed as their Sportsman of the Year in any of the three years he won 3 majors. The whole Red Sox team were named in '04, followed by Dwayne Wade in '06. I can understand the Red Sox pick...their comeback vs. the Yanks and their first championship since 1918, but Dwayne Wade? He doesn't win that ring without Shaq.

The biggest insult was in '07 when the Slightly Insane chose over-the-hill Brett Favre as SOTY. He didn't even win a championship!

BTW, the Slightly Insane have a habit of snubbing superheroes...the true Home Run King, Hank Aaron was never SOTY, not even the year he passed Babe Ruth. They've had almost 40 years to correct that glaring omission.

Sadly it's all about selling magazines and baseball, football, and basketball are the biggest draws. I'm just happy that Federer made the cover when he won the French in 2009.

ledwix
06-18-2011, 07:39 PM
As an American, I hate the general American perception of sports. ESPN always fumbles through tennis highlights like it's a sport that aliens play.

"And he wins the break!"

Tennis Is Magic
06-18-2011, 07:42 PM
:-?

>mfw people pick Djokovic as the winner, no one picks Federer, JMDP and Wawrinka as a sleeper, and Andy Roddick as a flame-out.

Why are we giving ESPN the time of day to acknowledge their tennis picks? They're obviously all completely unknowledgeable of the game.

bezs
06-18-2011, 07:48 PM
To me SI is only known for their swimsuit edition.

The any German pick should only apply for the ladies not the men.

stringertom
06-18-2011, 08:00 PM
As an American, I hate the general American perception of sports. ESPN always fumbles through tennis highlights like it's a sport that aliens play.

"And he wins the break!"

Chuckled a lot when I saw that!

myalterego
06-18-2011, 08:08 PM
More proof that SI sucks.

bolo
06-19-2011, 02:17 AM
espn analyst picks:

http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/picks/_/tournament/6

slice bh compliment
06-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Let's all boycott SI! :)

I like Bruce Jenkins and Jon Wertheim. I like KillaCahill. I had a small crush on Mary Joe in juniors.

Other than that...going to ESPN or SI for tennis news and commentary is like going to Wal-Mart for clothing or shoes. Hit or miss, mostly miss.

Heracles
06-19-2011, 02:26 AM
espn analyst picks:

Federer fanboys will stop complaining.

5 Federer , 3 Nadal and McEnroe picks Murray.

Sid_Vicious
06-19-2011, 02:37 AM
espn analyst picks:

Wow Federer being picked more than Nadal. Delusional ****s.

zagor
06-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Amateurs,picking an ancient museum relic like Roger to win,hilarious.

bolo
06-19-2011, 02:41 AM
Federer fanboys will stop complaining.

5 Federer , 3 Nadal and McEnroe picks Murray.

Hoooooray for ESPN! :)

Magnus
06-19-2011, 02:52 AM

Nah, its all about Fed getting old and way past his prime. He'd have won it if he was in 2005 form.

ttbrowne
06-19-2011, 05:06 AM
Milos, Tipso, ISNER??? You cannot be serious!

Brad Gilbert must laffing his a** off.

jigar
06-19-2011, 08:31 PM
I guess nobody cares about roger any more. If he wins, he will shut mouths of so called "expert". I believe they are going with the easiest choice available and form of the player in the last tournament. None of them listed him under flamout.

TheNatural
06-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Nah, its all about Fed getting old and way past his prime. He'd have won it if he was in 2005 form.

wimbledon is this week, it hasnt happened yet

TheNatural
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Wow Federer being picked more than Nadal. Delusional ****s.

They must have seen Feds easy draw and no Berdych in his Draw this time.

cc0509
06-19-2011, 09:31 PM
They must have seen Feds easy draw and no Berdych in his Draw this time.

Yeah right, THAT must be it. His previous 6 Wimbledon's and his good form at the FO have absolutely nothing to do with their picks. :roll:

Sid_Vicious
06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Yeah right, THAT must be it. His previous 6 Wimbledon's and his good form at the FO have absolutely nothing to do with their picks. :roll:

Federer has won 6 wimbledons. :)

cc0509
06-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Federer has won 6 wimbledons. :)

Yes, I know it was a typo. As soon as I typed it and read it I corrected it.

My bad! Of course I know Rog has 6 Wimby's! :)

TheNatural
06-19-2011, 09:41 PM

Pretty much all the top 4 had a good Roland Garros.

Concerning grass, Nadal won W last year, and Murray just won queens, while its been 2 years since Fed won anything on grass. However, after seeing Fed's easy draw, and no Berdych in his draw,wouldn't you agree that it would be much easier to select Fed than before seeing the draw.

cc0509
06-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Pretty much all the top 4 had a good Roland Garros.

Concerning grass, Nadal won W last year, and Murray just won queens, while its been 2 years since Fed won anything on grass. However, after seeing Fed's easy draw, and no Berdych in his draw,wouldn't you agree that it would be much easier to select Fed than before seeing the draw.

No, the draws all look pretty even to me. If Nadal fans aren't confident that Nadal can beat a Raonic or Del Potro then something does not compute there. You all go on night and day about how great Nadal is, and I agree with you that he is great, so why the negative reactions to Nadal's draw? Can't Nadal defeat anybody at any time?

Re the predictions from the ESPN people, I am sure they are going on a little more than Roger has a weak draw by picking him. You act like Roger is some amateur player. He has won 6 Wimbledon's and even though he has not won anything on grass for two years, so what? He is still the champion who has more achievements than anybody else. Will he win Wimbledon this year? I have no idea. It could be any of the top four really. I would say Nadal is the slight favorite to win imo.

Bobby Jr
06-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow.. both Cliff Drysdale and Pat McEnroe pick Nadal for an early exit at Wimbledon.

Berdych seems to be a popular pick in most slams as having high early exit potential. It worked out well at the FO.

slice bh compliment
06-20-2011, 05:01 AM
^Cliffy and Pat must know something.

NadalAgassi
06-20-2011, 05:26 AM
However, after seeing Fed's easy draw, and no Berdych in his draw

Federer is playing twice as well as he was around Wimbledon last year and Berdych much worse. If Berdych-Federer had ever met at Wimbledon this year Federer would have destroyed Berdych.

NadalAgassi
06-20-2011, 05:27 AM
No, the draws all look pretty even to me. If Nadal fans aren't confident that Nadal can beat a Raonic or Del Potro then something does not compute there. You all go on night and day about how great Nadal is, and I agree with you that he is great, so why the negative reactions to Nadal's draw? Can't Nadal defeat anybody at any time?

I actually agree with you for once. And I for one find the claims Nadal has a difficult draw laughable. How anyone thinks Raonic or Del Potro has a prayer of beating him on grass right now is beyond any comprehension.

egn
06-20-2011, 05:41 AM
Making ESPN took like they know tennis...good job for whoever Andrew Lawrence is picking his sleeper as Raonic and his winner as Nadal..I guess third round is deep now?

namelessone
06-20-2011, 05:48 AM
Holy crapola, I just saw this article and I couldn't believe it.

What the f**k are these morons smoking?

A 6 time champion is not on ANYONE's list? Are they ********? Even more important than the fact that he is a 6 time champ(history matters little when form is off) is that Fed held his own admirably on his weakest surface and de-streaked the supposedly invincible djokovic.

So we have Nadal 5 times(2 times champs here), Murray two times(didn't even make finals) and Djoko once(again, no final here).

Federer is playing just as good if not better than these guys and the surface favors him.

zagor
06-20-2011, 05:49 AM

A 6 time champion is not on ANYONE's list? Are they ********? Even more important than the fact that he is a 6 time champ(history matters little when form is off) is that Fed held his own admirably on his weakest surface and de-streaked the supposedly invincible djokovic.

So we have Nadal 5 times(2 times champs here), Murray two times(didn't even make finals) and Djoko once(again, no final here).

Federer is playing just as good if not better than these guys and the surface favors him.

Fed is much,much older than any of them,it would be a miracle and a testament to his greatness if he manages to win Wimbledon this year.

Rafa Garros
06-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Fed is much,much older than any of them,it would be a miracle and a testament to his greatness if he manages to win Wimbledon this year.

nice sig. one of my favorites movie quote

slice bh compliment
06-20-2011, 09:12 AM

A 6 time champion is not on ANYONE's list? Are they ********? ....

They are trying to stir the pot and make names for themselves. It's business, and they are delighted that we are all geekily talking about their picks.

Sentinel
06-21-2011, 01:44 AM

Fred has no business winning a major any longer.

TheNatural
06-21-2011, 03:20 AM

:lol: Calm down, he's 29 not 39 like Connors was when he was in the US Open semis. He also said he feels like a 23 year old.

zagor
06-21-2011, 03:30 AM
:lol: Calm down, he's 29 not 39 like Connors was when he was in the US Open semis. He also said he feels like a 23 year old.

I'm perfectly calm,just stating facts.Fed is just a frail old man,heck he's old now as your idol was the last time he failed to defend a Wimbledon title and received a pair of breadsticks from Rusty in front of his home crowd(USO).

TheNatural
06-21-2011, 05:04 AM
I'm perfectly calm,just stating facts.Fed is just a frail old man

Fed is so old he can't even make the US Open finals any more.:oops:

Don't exagerate, he's running around like a spring chicken, the age thing is a non factor. It may become a factor when he gets to 35, but not now.

mandy01
06-21-2011, 05:08 AM

Don't exagerate, he's running around like a spring chicken, the age thing is a non factor. It may become a factor when he gets to 35, but not now.
Of course not.It's very much a factor. The fact that he can hang with players 5-6 years younger to him showcases his abilities as a tennis player but that doesn't mean over 7 years of being at the top of the game haven't taken their toll mentally and physically. Not to mention he now has a family in tow and organizing the travelling with 2 kids,paying attention to their ever increasing demands is not easy even for a top-ranked, rich guy.
Of course,you wouldn't want to acknowledge any of this but that doesn't make it less true. :cool:

stringertom
06-21-2011, 05:17 AM
I'm perfectly calm,just stating facts.Fed is just a frail old man,heck he's old now as your idol was the last time he failed to defend a Wimbledon title and received a pair of breadsticks from Rusty in front of his home crowd(USO).

Yes, all the old muscles so worn out from lifting hardware above his shoulders so often. Will Wilson or Knike design a crane to help?

TheNatural
06-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Of course not.It's very much a factor. The fact that he can hang with players 5-6 years younger to him showcases his abilities as a tennis player but that doesn't mean over 7 years of being at the top of the game haven't taken their toll mentally and physically. Not to mention he now has a family in tow and organizing the travelling with 2 kids,paying attention to their ever increasing demands is not easy even for a top-ranked, rich guy.
Of course,you wouldn't want to acknowledge any of this but that doesn't make it less true. :cool:

He's been able to stay fresh, injury free and young feeling due to his efficient game and good scheduling. He said he feels like a 23 year old because he does, not because he felt like lieing.

zagor
06-21-2011, 07:31 AM

Indeed.

Don't exagerate

I won't.

he's running around like a spring chicken

He's running around like a 29 year old Petros.

the age thing is a non factor.

It's as much as a factor as it was for your hero when the teenage Swiss sent him packing at Wimbledon,after all they're the same age and have very similar career paths so it's quite easy to draw a parallel.

zagor
06-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes, all the old muscles so worn out from lifting hardware above his shoulders so often. Will Wilson or Knike design a crane to help?

The Wimbledon organizers have ordered a special version of the trophy to be made(composed of various lightweight materials)just in case the old man gets lucky.The crane will still be needed if he wins though,to lift him up after his usual falling on the ground celebration right after the CP.

stringertom
06-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Indeed.

I won't.

He's running around like a 29 year old Petros.

It's as much as a factor as it was for your hero when the teenage Swiss sent him packing at Wimbledon,after all they're the same age and have very similar career paths so it's quite easy to draw a parallel.
Annacone coached(es) both "relics". He's been quoted many times how much fresher Fed is at the same stage of his career. Is he enough of an expert to convince you how wrong you are?

Also, consider Fed grew up on clay, not HC like Pete. That adds in to the longevity factor.

As to aging champions, a guy named Ashe derailed the Connors Express at Wimby at an age starting with the number 3, (32? I'm guessing). It can be done, especially on grass as a six-time champion.

zagor
06-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Annacone coached(es) both "relics". He's been quoted many times how much fresher Fed is at the same stage of his career. Is he enough of an expert to convince you how wrong you are?

Also, consider Fed grew up on clay, not HC like Pete. That adds in to the longevity factor.

As to aging champions, a guy named Ashe derailed the Connors Express at Wimby at an age starting with the number 3, (32? I'm guessing). It can be done, especially on grass as a six-time champion.

You do realize I'm being sarcastic due to sheer amount of times the whining Sampras fanboys on this forum brought up the age excuse whenever his losses to the 2000s generation(Fed,Safin,Hewitt etc.)were/are mentioned,right? Their double standards are downright pathetic.

Fed is playing well for his age,most importantly he's still playing for me the most beautiful tennis on tour.Whether his good form will translate into great results this year(which means a slam title considering Fed's standards) it remains to be seen as it's not only up to him,other players are vying for the biggest prizes as well,let's see who'll come on top at Wimbledon/USO,Fed's certainly in contention for both of those titles.

stringertom
06-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I must have walked into the middle of the dialogue, thereby not knowing your track record dealing w/Petrotards.

In my estimation, we will continue to see the most beautiful tennis on tour you refer to for several more years. I keep my fingers crossed that my eyes may remain dazzled for as long as possible.

Heracles
06-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Well, they were right to not pick Federer.

Defcon
06-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Who cares about SI? The only thing that rag is good for is the annual swimsuit issue.