PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a Back-up Racquet

chives
06-29-2005, 07:02 AM
I currently use the RDX500MP as my one and only racquet. I want to purchase a second racquet and want some advice as to what racquet I should be purchasing as I don't want to purchase exactly the same racquet (I'm not completely comfortable with my current racquet)

I find the current racquet excellent on groundstrokes and provides a lot of support for topspin shots, but however I find it a little heavy for me and it affects my ability to counter-attack hard returns (especially on my backhand) and maneuverability. To be honest, I'm not a very consistent hitter so I need all the help I can get. I don't know how to rate myself as a player but I'm not a begginer but below varsity (more than a weekend hitter, getting out 4 or 5 times a week).

I want something that is not as light as the Prince O3 Red Series (which is really light in my opinion and lacks power) but not as heavy as the RDX500 and with a lot of maneuverability. Perhaps this is a shot in the dark but I was hoping with all the experience here on this site, that people could make recommendations.

I'm interested in trying the Prince O3 blue or silver, what do you think about these racquets?

Thanks in advance!

Ben42
06-29-2005, 07:45 AM
The blue and sliver O3s are both lighter than the Red, though both will have more power than it.

If you describe your game a little more, people here will be able to recommend some racquets for you to try. Do you play mostly from the baseline? All court? Like to volley? Play doubles? The more you tell us about your game the better the recommendations will be.

You could also use the Racquet Finder on TW’s main page. Fill in a weight range under the Yonex’s and any other fields you know you like in a frame.

chives
06-29-2005, 07:58 AM
If you describe your game a little more, people here will be able to recommend some racquets for you to try. Do you play mostly from the baseline? All court? Like to volley? Play doubles? The more you tell us about your game the better the recommendations will be.

My game..hmmm...I play mostly from the baseline but like to come to the net. I am playing mostly doubles at the moment (because that is all there is to play in my area of Japan). However, I want to be more aggressive and become a better all-round player and that's why I think I need something more maneuverable (for me) than the RDX500 (I guess that means lighter). Hitting hard accurate shots from the baseline (with lots of topspin) is important to me.

How's that?

Grimjack
06-29-2005, 08:14 AM
From what you describe, you're tailor-made for the "Tweener" category.

Investigate/demo:

The Babolat Pure and Aero drives
The Head Instincts
The Wilson Surges
The Dunlop 300's
The Prince Sharks
etc.

wtennis206
06-29-2005, 08:48 AM
I would try out the AeroPro Drive. I love it, although it requires a good bit of lead tape for me.

krnboijunsung
06-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Well I don't think getting a different racquet as your backup is a good idea.

I think your main problem is finding a racquet (your primary racquet) that you play best with. Why get a backup racquet if your not pleased with your primary racquet.
Find one that suits you best, and get two of them. It's not that great to play with two different racquets, because once you switch off you have to keep getting used to each (unless they're similar in specs).

Ace
06-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Give the Babolat Pure Storm Standard (orange one) a try.

chives
06-29-2005, 08:58 PM

I think your main problem is finding a racquet (your primary racquet) that you play best with. Why get a backup racquet if your not pleased with your primary racquet.
Find one that suits you best, and get two of them. It's not that great to play with two different racquets, because once you switch off you have to keep getting used to each (unless they're similar in specs).

That's a very good point. Actually I was thinking that too. Before I bought my current racquet I tried out various racquets but the Pro Shop owner here in Japan suggested that I only try a few because if I try too many I wouldn't be able to decide. As a result, I only tried about maybe 6 racquets in all and the RDX was the best feel but not the perfect feel. After reading good things about the racquet I bought it without demo-ing any further racquets. I like the RDX, I think it's a great racquet and it's great for my top-spin shots, but I think it's too heavy for my skill level and racquet swinging speed.

I'll be the first to admit that alot of my mistakes has to do with my skill-level but I think some of my mistakes are the result of my racquet not fitting me properly.

Looking forward to trying out some of these 'tweener racquets someone already has suggested.

kicker75
06-30-2005, 08:49 AM

I agree...