PDA

View Full Version : Which pro hits the heaviest backhand ever?

junk_baller
06-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Sorry, posted this in the wrong section before;

I mean 'heavy' as in Nadal's forehand is described as heavy ie. lots and lots of topspin, high loopy trajectory, high uncomfortable bounce, kicking off the court...etc...

Seems to me that a lot of pro's will hit heavy forehands and very flat lightweight backhand drives.

Does any pro actually hit a heavy backhand? Doesn't matter two handed or one...

And what is unique/relevant about their grip/technique that enables them to do it?

Semi-Pro
06-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Currently on tour, maybe Wawrinka...

Retired player, I'd say Guga..

AhmedD
06-19-2011, 08:03 AM
In terms of loopiness and kicking of the court, I'll go with Gasquet. I haven't seen Wawrinka often make it kick of away from the opponent, but I see his opponents struggling to deal with when it's on. So I'd say Wawrinka overall dominates in terms of overall heaviness.

Federer is sort of a mix, doesn't excel in either but manages, to mix it up more.

Li Ching Yuen
06-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Nadal.....

junk_baller
06-19-2011, 08:09 AM
In terms of loopiness and kicking of the court, I'll go with Gasquet. I haven't seen Wawrinka often make it kick of away from the opponent, but I see his opponents struggling to deal with when it's on. So I'd say Wawrinka overall dominates in terms of overall heaviness.

Federer is sort of a mix, doesn't excel in either but manages, to mix it up more.

How does Wawrinka have a heavy backhand if it doesn't kick off the court/bounce high? You mean it's just fast and penetrating - like a flat backhand?

This isn't limited to the one handers!! What about Nadal - does he hit heavier off the backhand than Gasquet?

mario58
06-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Nadal.....

He asked for the heaviest backhand not the weakest.

AhmedD
06-19-2011, 08:20 AM
How does Wawrinka have a heavy backhand if it doesn't kick off the court/bounce high? You mean it's just fast and penetrating - like a flat backhand?

This isn't limited to the one handers!! What about Nadal - does he hit heavier off the backhand than Gasquet?

How can I put this ?

Okay I got it, the thing with Wawrinka's back hand is that it's both penetrating and heavy. I mean think of it this way, Federer forehand is very penetrating, but we still know it's still extremely heavy, and it's only second to heaviness of Nadal's forehand.

Wawrinka is pretty much the same thing, it very penetrating but still very heavy.

Is it better in this sense ?

In addition, I think one-handers generally have heavier backhands. Mainly because they need to brush the ball even more than two handers.

gunnd5000
06-19-2011, 08:34 AM
As much as it pains me to say this, from off teh top of my head nadals backhand wins this one :/

Raid
06-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Nadal.....

have you ever seen his backhand in person?

zagor
06-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Yeah Stan is a good choice IMO,although I'd add Gaudio and Almagro as well as far as modern players go.

Tammo
06-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Wawrinka...

junk_baller
06-19-2011, 09:15 AM
have you ever seen his backhand in person?

Why, what is different about his backhand in person?

pc1
06-19-2011, 09:19 AM
From what I've read they said Don Budge's backhand was very heavy with a lot of pace. I would think Jimmy Connors was very heavy also as was Laver's.

I would think the title nowadays belongs to Djokovic.

Sharpshooter
06-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Why, what is different about his backhand in person?

TV doesn't do the shots justice. When you see it live you really get a feel for how heavy the shots really are. (Well as long as you're sitting close enough to notice anyway)

Devilito
06-19-2011, 09:25 AM
i love how nobody mentions Federer even though his backhand has insane spin and explodes off the court.

junk
06-19-2011, 09:26 AM
djokovic's backhand feels very heavy for nadal... and nadal's backhand is almost a liability this year. whoever says that nadal's backhand is heavy has a weird definition of heaviness - maybe it's being confused with weight categories in boxing i.e. light heavyweight...

junk_baller
06-19-2011, 09:41 AM
djokovic's backhand feels very heavy for nadal... and nadal's backhand is almost a liability this year. whoever says that nadal's backhand is heavy has a weird definition of heaviness - maybe it's being confused with weight categories in boxing i.e. light heavyweight...

Djokovic is a flat ball hitter isn't he?

And I don't know whether or not Nadal's backhand is heavy (that's why I'm asking you guys) but I just assumed it would be given how heavy his forehand is...

dominikk1985
06-19-2011, 09:42 AM
safin BH was super heavy. Extremely hard and also a lot of spin.

tennisenthusiast
06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
in my opinion, it is stanislas wawrinka's. even john mcenroe can vouch me on that!

junk
06-19-2011, 09:57 AM
heavy and spinny are two different things. recently nadal's backhands have been loopy and light ("light" for his number 1 standards) but due to high trajectory too slow to hurt his opponents while djokovic's backhands are much flatter therefore faster and more penetrating. as dominikk1985 mentioned in his post, safin's backhand was very heavy - due to his height he was able to hit very flat and with lots of power. in most of the cases, a faster stroke should feel more heavy - there's much higher correlation between fast and heavy than spinny and heavy

rod99
06-19-2011, 10:25 AM
there are a lot of young, clueless posters on this thread. federer nor nadal would be anywhere near the top of the list for heaviest backhands. have you jokers watched professional tennis?

nalbandian, djokovic, wawrinka, fish, and pershaps gasquet would be my top 5, in some order.

junk_baller
06-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I know 'heavy' means different things to most people but I qualified what it means to me in the OP - I think it means 'containing the most topspin'.

So Djokovic hits more topspin on his backhand than Nadal?

rod99
06-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I know 'heavy' means different things to most people but I qualified what it means to me in the OP - I think it means 'containing the most topspin'.

So Djokovic hits more topspin on his backhand than Nadal?

heavy means a combination of spin and pace that constantly pushes you back. spin alone does not make a shot heavy. if you're looking at the top 20 pros right now, both federer and nadal would be near the bottom third of heavy backhands.

junk_baller
06-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Then perhaps I meant to say 'spinniest' topspin backhand!?

Does that award go to Nadal, Gasquet or someone else?

rod99
06-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Then perhaps I meant to say 'spinniest' topspin backhand!?

Does that award go to Nadal, Gasquet or someone else?

I would say gasquet. Nadal hits nowhere near as much spin on his backhand compared to his forehand.

Sid_Vicious
06-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Wawrinka has the heaviest backhand in the game currently IMO.

coloskier
06-19-2011, 02:23 PM
"Heaviest" in most tennis circles means that if you hit it off center it practically knocks the racket out of your hand or does not leave you anytime to get a good backswing. It is on top of you a lot faster than you expect. That is "heavy". It has very little to do with spin, unless there is also tremendous pace added with the spin. Djoker, Wawrinka, maybe Soderling when he is on. But Fed and Nadal??????? Highly doubtful, especially Nadal. No one starts hitting long when returning Nadal's backhand due to the spin. It is a good passing shot, but only because it dips so much. From the baseline I would hardly call Nadal's BH "feared" due to it being "heavy".

rod99
06-19-2011, 02:47 PM
"Heaviest" in most tennis circles means that if you hit it off center it practically knocks the racket out of your hand or does not leave you anytime to get a good backswing. It is on top of you a lot faster than you expect. That is "heavy". It has very little to do with spin, unless there is also tremendous pace added with the spin. Djoker, Wawrinka, maybe Soderling when he is on. But Fed and Nadal??????? Highly doubtful, especially Nadal. No one starts hitting long when returning Nadal's backhand due to the spin. It is a good passing shot, but only because it dips so much. From the baseline I would hardly call Nadal's BH "feared" due to it being "heavy".

this.......

zagor
06-19-2011, 02:49 PM

I think Soderling has the heaviest FH,not so sure about the BH.

IvanisevicServe
06-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Of the past 20 years, Safin.

All-time, who knows.

rod99
06-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Of the past 20 years, Safin.

All-time, who knows.

i agree about safin, with honorable mention to nalbandian. considering the technology that was used at the time, i'd say connors was right up there.

TennisandMusic
06-19-2011, 03:48 PM

Andy Roddick recently said Nadal's backhand is extremely underrated and "always very heavy."

That said, I wouldn't put Nadal at the "heaviest" (of course NONE OF US can really judge this since we aren't hitting the shots, we have no idea what their shots feels like). Maybe Nalbandian, but again, totally hard to tell just by watching.

Nadalfan89
06-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Gasquet hits a very heavy ball. It hits the top half of the wall even when he's hitting off his back foot.

Feņa14
06-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I'd say Soderling, he hits flat with great power, yet there's still enough spin there to make it a heavy stroke.

It's difficult to say having not faced any of the players mentioned, but on tv and in person his looks very heavy.

marc45
06-19-2011, 04:23 PM
del potro?

pc1
06-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Ken Rosewall would be up there for heavy backhand also.

http://passionfortennis.com/ken-rosewall-and-tim-henman-backhand-analysis/

However I wouldn't think his backhand was the heaviest. My guess would be Jimmy Connors for the Open Era.

drakulie
06-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Ken Rosewall would be up there for heavy backhand also.

http://passionfortennis.com/ken-rosewall-and-tim-henman-backhand-analysis/

However I wouldn't think his backhand was the heaviest.

well, who could argue with someone who hits 80+ mph slices. :roll:

back to reality, of the current players, probably wawrinka/joker.

TheOneHander
06-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Rosewall used to hit 90mph slice backhands.

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201004/03/06/f0193106_1512773.jpg

This thread is now complete.

gold soundz
06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
No way Nadal. Sure he can hit some great backhands sometimes, but generally they are quite slow and land short (for a pro standard). I would say Gasquet, but he also tends to sometimes fall backwards and loop the backhands short, So I don't know. Djokovic's backhand is great, but probably not the heaviest. Maybe Soderling? He's probably the closest IMO if you're talking about heaviness.

M Dean
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
i think kohlschreiber's is also worth to mention...

junk_baller
06-20-2011, 01:03 AM
Surely spin has a significant part to do with 'heavy'? When a really hard, fast flat ball comes at you it skids off the court very low.

When a really spinny and also fast shot comes at you it kicks up high at you and leaps forward faster than you expect.

To me, Djokovic's backhand looks like Murray's, accurate and very flat. If you say Nadal's backhand dips a lot it must have a ton of spin on it and be consequently very heavy. There must be someone who really brushes up on the backhand like that?

Does anyone have a backhand equivalent of that forehand video (think it's deleted off youtube now) where Nadal's forehand kicks right about two feet over Federer's head at Wimbledon?

Nextman916
06-20-2011, 01:10 AM
Does anyone have a backhand equivalent of that forehand video (think it's deleted off youtube now) where Nadal's forehand kicks right about two feet over Federer's head at Wimbledon?
Damn, I'd love to see that.

Feņa14
06-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Surely spin has a significant part to do with 'heavy'? When a really hard, fast flat ball comes at you it skids off the court very low.

When a really spinny and also fast shot comes at you it kicks up high at you and leaps forward faster than you expect.

To me, Djokovic's backhand looks like Murray's, accurate and very flat. If you say Nadal's backhand dips a lot it must have a ton of spin on it and be consequently very heavy. There must be someone who really brushes up on the backhand like that?

You're right that the spin has alot to do with it. I always seem to think that players who combine a flatter hit with power, whilst still keeping a high level of spin are the ones who's strokes look the heaviest. Players like Safin, who hit the ball flat with great power, he also had quite alot of spin on his backhand which must of really knocked the opponents racket back if they didn't middle it. That's why i'd say players like Soderling, del Potro, Berdych etc.. look like they have the heaviest backhands in the game to me.

pc1
06-20-2011, 04:30 AM
well, who could argue with someone who hits 80+ mph slices. :roll:

back to reality, of the current players, probably wawrinka/joker.

I was waiting for that joke. lol. Come on, it was a heavy backhand, even Cliff Drysdale said so and a lot of others.

Anyway who do you think had the heaviest backhand that you're seen?

namelessone
06-20-2011, 04:37 AM
From my viewing experience, probably Safin.

urban
06-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Budge. He had certainly the heaviest racket and could hit with it, like a baseball bat.

drakulie
06-20-2011, 05:22 AM
I was waiting for that joke. lol. Come on, it was a heavy backhand, even Cliff Drysdale said so and a lot of others.

Anyway who do you think had the heaviest backhand that you're seen?

Rosewall, surely hit a great backhand, which for it's time was lethal. But heaviest in the history? Not even close.

As for players I have seen from a few feet away, it would be Agassi. He took it so early, generated an immense amount of pace combined with a lot of spin for such a flat shot.

junk_baller
07-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Would you guys actually say that Djokovic's backhand is 'heavy' in that it contains a lot of topspin?

To me it looks flat.

Is there a 2hbh player that really puts loads of topspin on the ball? Apart from Nadal? (If Nadal even really hits a heavy 2 hander)?

rod99
07-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Would you guys actually say that Djokovic's backhand is 'heavy' in that it contains a lot of topspin?

To me it looks flat.

Is there a 2hbh player that really puts loads of topspin on the ball? Apart from Nadal? (If Nadal even really hits a heavy 2 hander)?

again, "heavy" doesn't necessarily mean a lot of spin. it means it's a shot that you feel off your racquet and it pushes you back.

nadal's backhand really isn't that heavy at all, relatively speaking.

if you're looking for backhands with lots of spin then gasquet would have to be at the top of the list.