PDA

View Full Version : Volkl recommendations

gifted_shotmaker
06-29-2005, 07:19 AM
A friend of mine is looking for a frame specifically from Volkl. So, maybe NoBadMojo will give me considerable help, but anyone who can help is welcome. He's tried a couple racquets from them before and loves them. He has a one-handed bh with a game style similar to the ATP pros, Feliciano Lopez and Gaston Gaudio. He's looking for a frame with a midsize head, heavy weighing, head light, and medium power level and medium swing speed.

Michael Musok
06-29-2005, 07:38 AM
If his game is similar to those ATP pros I'm just curious as to why he's confused as to what racquet he should be playing with.
About the only racquet available from Volkl with a midsize head (93) is the Tour 10 Mid V-engine or the older standard Tour 10 Mid. They are both about 12.2 ounces strung and head light but have a low power rating. I'm not sure what heavy, head light, mid size racquet would have a medium power rating.

gifted_shotmaker
06-29-2005, 07:52 AM
If his game is similar to those ATP pros I'm just curious as to why he's confused as to what racquet he should be playing with.
About the only racquet available from Volkl with a midsize head (93) is the Tour 10 Mid V-engine or the older standard Tour 10 Mid. They are both about 12.2 ounces strung and head light but have a low power rating. I'm not sure what heavy, head light, mid size racquet would have a medium power rating.

Well, I should say probably just include the midplus head sizes also. Thanks for that suggestion though, I'll have him check it out.

NoBadMojo
06-29-2005, 09:25 AM
hard to know with the info we have, and we dont know your friends ablities..sounds like any frame from the Volkl '10 Series' could be a winner for him. if he has hit with a couple Volkls and loved them, why doesnt he just go with one of those that he has already tried and loved?..many people have trouble finding a frame they fall in love with

gifted_shotmaker
06-29-2005, 09:29 AM
hard to know with the info we have, and we dont know your friends ablities..sounds like any frame from the Volkl '10 Series' could be a winner for him. if he has hit with a couple Volkls and loved them, why doesnt he just go with one of those that he has already tried and loved?..many people have trouble finding a frame they fall in love with

I would say he's a solid 3.0, and I don't think he remembered the names of the Volkls he's hit with, but I will check. Thanks for the help NoBadMojo.

rovision
06-29-2005, 10:54 AM
If your friend is a "solid 3.0", I would rather suggest the QV1. Larger sweet spot, 102sq.in. head, lighter than the Tour 10 Mid, far more forgiving and more powerful than the 10 series. I just put some lead on my QV1 at 3/9, about 4gr. enough to even balance the frame and now has even more control and power on serves.

NoBadMojo
06-29-2005, 11:23 AM
good call rovision..the V1 series would be a good choice for that level (or any level for that matter) i would hang on for a bit and demo the soon to be released V1DNX

edge
06-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Or go with the Midplus 10 Tour V - Engine. It's lighter and more foregiving than the Mid.

ATXtennisaddict
06-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Mid Tour 10 v-engine is one of the best rackets I have ever laid hands on!

tschevap
06-29-2005, 11:56 AM
How can a 3.0 player have a style like Gaudio and Lopez? The only similarity seems to be, that all three are hitting yellow balls with a racket...
weird!

I suggest the Tour8VE for a 3.0player...

NoBadMojo
06-29-2005, 12:09 PM
the T10MP-VE swings heavier than the Mid version not lighter, and the mid is definitely not for a 3.0

gifted_shotmaker
06-29-2005, 01:23 PM
How can a 3.0 player have a style like Gaudio and Lopez? The only similarity seems to be, that all three are hitting yellow balls with a racket...
weird!

Since you speak like you are of high skill level, you must know that there is a difference from style and playing level. What is the problem with having a style like Gaudio and Lopez at a 3.0 level? Is it illegal or impossible?

BTW, thanks for the help everyone. I will recommend for him to check out the V1 series and the V1 DNX.

Tennis312
06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
You may also want to consider the C98 pro. Although technically a player's racquet, I think it is a really good basic racquet that would serve any player well. At a 3.0 level, the C98 would allow your friend to feel the ball well and, through that, improve his strokes and game. I have one friend at that level who used my C98, loved it, and abandoned his tweener.

thejackal
06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
You may also want to consider the C98 pro. Although technically a player's racquet, I think it is a really good basic racquet that would serve any player well. At a 3.0 level, the C98 would allow your friend to feel the ball well and, through that, improve his strokes and game. I have one friend at that level who used my C98, loved it, and abandoned his tweener.

Do you mean the C10?

elan
06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Funny, i just got my V1 cat mid plus today, having a bit of an arm problem in the past i did a lot of review reading, anyway, been out and had a couple of sets and so far, I LIKE! :D

VolklVenom
06-29-2005, 02:02 PM
don't listen to anyone who suggests that the v-engine T10 Mid is not a 3.0 racquet.
It would do you alot of good and would help you improve, training and playing with it

NoBadMojo
06-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Volkl recommends this frame for hard hiting advanced tourney players. they recommend the MP version as for 4.5 players and up, i recommend the mid for 5.0 and up, as does TW. we're all wrong and VolklVenom is right i guess

tom4ny
06-29-2005, 02:16 PM
looks like the V1DNX's are in at TW! it's priced at the old (prediscount) Cat V1 level but i am still tempted.

rovision
06-29-2005, 02:53 PM
don't listen to anyone who suggests that the v-engine T10 Mid is not a 3.0 racquet.
It would do you alot of good and would help you improve, training and playing with it

The real issue with this statement in my mind is: if you want to improve your game, yes, go for a higher ranked frame, but expect to lose a lot of games due to the lack of skills to handle them in the begining. We are talking about a 3.0 player here. So a lot of insatisfaction and maybe regret even to go this way too fast.
If you want to play good at this level [3.0] and still improve, a QV1 is perfect, handles most of other 3.0-4.0 players' hits as well as helping your game, and can be customized to make it a transitional frame to a "player's racquet".
I'm playing [3.5, maybe 4.0 on a "sunny" day] most of the time with the Tour10Mid, but lately I find myself enjoying more the QV1 especially after leading it. Progress comes very slow if you are a recreational player and to be forced to play with a higher ranked frame for a few years may not be the best for everybody.