PDA

View Full Version : Nadal makes you realize how transient every other player is now...

tennis_fan_182
06-19-2011, 11:11 PM
Yes, Djokovic may occasionally get hot and make a final. Federer may occasionally redline and make a final. Delpo may even make a few finals. Murray may occasionally... do nothing.

But Nadal, even if he's playing useless, scrappy, pusher tennis will nowadays always find a way to win every single grandslam he enters.

I would not be surprised if he surpassed Fed at GS by 2014.

stringertom
06-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Come back down to reality...he's won 3 majors in a year once. Someone he's chasing did it THREE times in four years! His off-year? He won two. Do the math...11 majors in 4 years. I doubt your boy has that in him. Let him prove me wrong. Then talk. In that order, OK?

ledwix
06-20-2011, 12:57 AM
The first two posts both make good points. Federer and Nadal give people unrealistic expectations of the difficulty of winning a slam. It's a lot harder than they make it look. There are only 40 grand slams to be played in a decade. A decade is longer than most primes. So a player who wins 8 or 9 slams has to win about 1/4 of the slams in his era. There is only room for about 3 people to have that many slams in an entire decade. The math is fuzzy, but you know that if you have a random winner here or there, only a couple people a decade can rack up a large slam total.

Even Djoker has just 2 slams, and it seems like he's been chasing them (Federer/Nadal) for FOREVER. And Murray has been there for years as well but has NEVER gotten his hands on a slam.

stringertom
06-20-2011, 07:58 AM
I read a post recently attributing to petros a quote stating a good year is winning one major. That is spot-on! We've been spoiled (maybe blessed). I think it will drop back down to a 2-1-1 or even 1-1-1-1 scenario as early as this year. Who gets those titles? It will be my great pleasure to watch the outcomes.

Nadalfan89
06-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Federer got the majority of his slams by beating up on inferior players. Hewitt, Roddick, Gonzalez, Baghdadtis and Phillipousis are all complete jokes.

Sharpshooter
06-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Federer got the majority of his slams by beating up on inferior players. Hewitt, Roddick, Gonzalez, Baghdadtis and Phillipousis are all complete jokes.

Couldn't agree more. Except maybe take out Roddick, he can play.

But for Roddick, let's just use the Fed v Rafa excuse: "Fed is just a bad match up for Roddick".

tennis_fan_182
06-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Yeah a certain American in your signature is Federer's ultimate pigeon and the biggest joke of all.

fundrazer
06-20-2011, 08:53 AM

So by the food chain Nadal is getting the majority of his slams beating up on an inferior player who beat up inferior players? Where does this leave Nadal, slightly less inferior?

tennis_pro
06-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Yes, Djokovic may occasionally get hot and make a final. Federer may occasionally redline and make a final. Delpo may even make a few finals. Murray may occasionally... do nothing.

But Nadal, even if he's playing useless, scrappy, pusher tennis will nowadays always find a way to win every single grandslam he enters.

Why by 2014? 2012 seems perfect, Wimbledon-US Open this year + a calendar Slam next year.

tennis_pro
06-20-2011, 09:03 AM

Where's Safin, Ferrero, Agassi, Henman, Coria, Davydenko? All jokes?

Lol at the CURRENT season, take out Djokovic/Nadal and Federer wins a Calendar Slam aged 30. Nobody would challenge him, that's how weak this era is.

PimpMyGame
06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
I'm looking forward to some more competition in the coming couple of years. Fed/Nadal duopoly was getting kind of boring. The field is weak and has no depth. Would be nice if Murray sorted his head out so we can have four serious contenders for all the majors, and for a couple more guys to come through the ranks and give the top 4 a run for their money.

I don't think Nadal will win another slam this year, and I will be quite happy to take the flame on 3rd July if I'm proved wrong at the first hurdle.

tennis_fan_182
06-20-2011, 09:07 AM
Why by 2014? 2012 seems perfect, Wimbledon-US Open this year + a calendar Slam next year.

And a calender in 2013 and 2014 thus reaching 24 by the September 2014. No-one in their right mind would bet against that given Nadal's dominance in all slams recently.

tennis_pro
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Yep, I think I've seen somewhere special bets in tennis for the next couple of years and there was "Nadal not to lose a single Slam match till mid 2015" standing at 1,01. Easy money.

Sharpshooter
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Where's Safin, Ferrero, Agassi, Henman, Coria, Davydenko? All jokes?

Lol at the CURRENT season, take out Djokovic/Nadal and Federer wins a Calendar Slam aged 30. Nobody would challenge him, that's how weak this era is.

Safin - not a joke when playing his best. Unfortunately he could only bring it 1/10 tournaments, not nearly enough to worry Fed

Ferrero - Joke lost to Chris Guccione 2 years in a row

Agassi - was way too old to be a real threat to Fed. The fact that he still made slam finals and semi's goes to show how weak the era was.

Henman - Are you kidding? LOL

Coria - only good on clay and Fed never had to contend with him at RG so why would you even list him?

Davydenko - a joke at majors

So yeah there all pretty much jokes.

stringertom
06-20-2011, 09:24 AM
And a calender in 2013 and 2014 thus reaching 24 by the September 2014. No-one in their right mind would bet against that given Nadal's dominance in all slams recently.

Funny how winning the FO after being creamed four finals in a row by the reigning AO champ has opened up this sack of male cow manure! Calm down, ease off on the Red Bulls and take a look at reality...now repeat after me...Rafa is human...only mediocre humans are always at their best...Rafa is not mediocre...ergo on any given day Rafa may be beaten. It happens. Live with it!

jackson vile
06-20-2011, 12:20 PM

You need to compare the players, who does Federer have a more difficult time with the old crew or th new crew, and who does Nadal have a more difficult time with, the old or new?

Sharpshooter
06-20-2011, 12:25 PM
You need to compare the players, who does Federer have a more difficult time with the old crew or th new crew, and who does Nadal have a more difficult time with, the old or new?

Well technically, Nadal should have trouble with the older crew because he was only starting out at the time. Whereas Fed should have an advantage ove the new crew because he is so much more experienced than most of them in clutch match situations. But the new crew seem to trouble Fed a lot more because they have more weapons and are generally more consistent than the old crew.

Mustard
06-20-2011, 12:28 PM

You talk such rubbish sometimes.

fps
06-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Nadal would never say or think something like this. He would understand how hard you have to work to get to the peak of the game, and how difficult it is to stay there. You want to represent yourself as a Nadal fan, you should show some of his class and humility.

Magnus
06-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Nadal only reached the QF (or was it 4th round) in the slam before the FO. Relax.

Magnus
06-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Even if I consider what you say reasonable (which I don't, because both you and I know you spill crap just for the sake of it), Fed beat Murray twice in a slam, Djokovic once, and Nadal twice. That's 5 slams not from your least of "pathetics". Oh wait, who did Nadal face other than Fed? Soderling and Berdych, two players Fed owns so badly its not even funny.

Don't ever disrespect these players' achievements, they work hard for them, and it means the world to them. Fed beat tough players and so did Nadal.

Meaghan
06-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Nadal could have raonic del potro Murray then nole or fed in the final. If he can make it thro all them he will well deserve it.

tennis_fan_182
06-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Nadal would never say or think something like this. He would understand how hard you have to work to get to the peak of the game, and how difficult it is to stay there. You want to represent yourself as a Nadal fan, you should show some of his class and humility.

Haha, don't you mean thinly-veiled pseudo-class and mock humility?

It's like when those blatantly anorexic girls ask their friends: "I'm fat!! I'm fat, I know it, aren't I fat!?" A form of fishing for compliments, everyone knows what the guy is up to.

I can't stand Nadal.

Pwned
06-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Of course they are inferior players. When you are number 1 in the world everyone else is inferior. Try and prove todays crop of top 20 is better than 10 years ago. You can use whatever stats you want but it still comes down to your opinion as you cannot prove one way or the other.

AM95
06-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Couldn't agree more. Except maybe take out Roddick, he can play.

But for Roddick, let's just use the Fed v Rafa excuse: "Fed is just a bad match up for Roddick".

ironic that gonzalez took out rafa.

whomad15
06-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Nadal may pass Fed, if his knees don't fall off first

JustBob
06-20-2011, 03:41 PM
This thread confirms it, most ********s are zombies.