PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to our new worst commentator

icazares
06-20-2011, 07:57 AM
All her colleagues should feel relieved now... When you think Slam coverage can't get any worse, welcome to Chris Evert. What a horrible work as a commentator. How did the USA fall in love with her? Surely it wasn't because of her wits. What do you think? Limited language, arrogance, inaccurate or misleading statements (yes, Chris, you just said that in your time you had to deal with players who hit strong from both sides "like Monica Seles", quick refresh here- those 3 matches occurred in 1988 and 1989, Monica was 14 years old in 1988 and you retired in 1989, so it was neither in your time nor in Monica's), overall pathetic. Being a GS winner doesn't make you a good commentator or a friendly voice.

tennis_pro
06-20-2011, 07:58 AM
any samples?

dirtballer
06-20-2011, 07:59 AM
As I said on another thread, Pam and Chris can't stop talking about themselves.

icazares
06-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Did Chris Evert say that it was Serena Williams who won the bad calls and the match against Capriati in the US Open 2004??? Does this woman suffer from some kind of memory loss disorder?

fedhingis515
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Did Chris Evert say that it was Serena Williams who won the bad calls and the match against Capriati in the US Open 2004??? Does this woman suffer from some kind of memory loss disorder?

I was thinking the same thing. I mean how can anyone forget it was Serena that got screwed? I used to like Evert as a commentator but I'm not liking her much so far.

Kevin T
06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
May I also suggest Tennis Magazine as another example of something else (along with her marriages :)) Chris has totally destroyed.

BrooklynNY
06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Mute the TV.

It's what any person who understands tennis enough to not want to listen to P-Mac and others talk nonsense about how "Roddick needs to hit with more margin" among other things =\

My favorite commentators are Robbie Koenig(obviously, he's the best), Martina Navratilova, and Jimmy Connors.

ttwarrior1
06-20-2011, 10:07 AM
thought they were great. Moron post

FeVer
06-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Boris Becker plumbs new levels of pointlessness.

Other commentator: "I notice Clive Woodward's wearing his US Open (golf) tie today. I hear he's a big golf fan"

Boris: "And he's wearing some shades as well..."

*after the next point*

"...to shade his eyes"

Cup8489
06-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Other commentator: "I notice Clive Woodward's wearing his US Open (golf) tie today. I hear he's a big golf fan"

*after the next point*

"...to shade his eyes"

becker has to differentiate between wearing them to shade your eyes and to wear them for false coolness (becker does the latter)

but yeah, really not enjoying Evert and Shriver constantly comparing themselves to everyone.. NO ONE CARES!

Qubax
06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
What is wrong with you people? Everyone being negative..

It's great to hear form Chris Evert.

One of the greatest of all time. Having her on the panel is a great addition

norbac
06-20-2011, 12:42 PM

*after the next point*

"...to shade his eyes"

I love Boris: that "Oh my God" when Roddick dropped the ball before serving in the second set tiebreak against Fed in Wimby 09, calling Fernando Gonzalez "Francisco" for a whole match.

And I agree about Evert, she's terrible.

FedererBestTennis
06-20-2011, 01:03 PM
She is the latest abomination to the already horrible announcing crew at ESPN...

Chris: "Ahhh, remember that match in 2004 when Capriati was cheated at the US Open and Serena won with the help of the line judges?"

Pam: "Uhhh...no. That never happened. Let's look that one up."

Chris: "Okay, I think I'm right though."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HP3HpMu8oOQ/S7riR5l7iPI/AAAAAAAABUE/HW340Z_gp40/s1600/Stupid.jpg

mctennis
06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Mute the TV.

It's what any person who understands tennis enough to not want to listen to P-Mac and others talk nonsense about how "Roddick needs to hit with more margin" among other things =\

My favorite commentators are Robbie Koenig(obviously, he's the best), Martina Navratilova, and Jimmy Connors.

Ditto to this statement. I LOVE my mute button. I also like Jimmy Arias when he is one of the commentators. He seems low key and doesn't just babble.

eliza
06-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Hey, but according to her won words "she took tennis to the masses"......Thanks Queen.....Agree 100%, lame commentator.
Bring Navratilova ...

Tammo
06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
they should get some new commentators

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-20-2011, 02:31 PM

..or trying to rewrite history so no one will continue to think the officials were pro-Capriati.

heftylefty
06-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Chris Evert is the classic example of a dumb jock. Yes, she won was her share of GS, but she is dumb as a post and boring. And the sad part, she has no excuse for her limited range.

stringertom
06-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Courier is the tops! Mute button for the above.

rocky b
06-20-2011, 03:59 PM
chris destroyed tennis mag its so thin my local penny saver has more pages.

Fedace
06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
All her colleagues should feel relieved now... When you think Slam coverage can't get any worse, welcome to Chris Evert. What a horrible work as a commentator. How did the USA fall in love with her? Surely it wasn't because of her wits. What do you think? Limited language, arrogance, inaccurate or misleading statements (yes, Chris, you just said that in your time you had to deal with players who hit strong from both sides "like Monica Seles", quick refresh here- those 3 matches occurred in 1988 and 1989, Monica was 14 years old in 1988 and you retired in 1989, so it was neither in your time nor in Monica's), overall pathetic. Being a GS winner doesn't make you a good commentator or a friendly voice.

We should put Boris Becker and Chris Evert together. and have Bjorn Borg drop in once on a while as the Guest commentator. and Put every audience to sleep........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. That is if Bjorn doesn't fall asleep first....:)

Ronaldo
06-20-2011, 06:50 PM
We need Guest commentators. Jen-Cap, Jeff Tarango, Marat Safin, and Anastasia Myskina. One microphone. Evert had a moment when she asked Shriver if we were gonna compete today?

pvaudio
06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
We need Guest commentators. Jen-Cap, Jeff Tarango, Marat Safin, and Anastasia Myskina. One microphone. Evert had a moment when she asked Shriver if we were gonna compete today?
Evert: "We're not competing in the booth are we? Ha ha ha ha"

I knew it was the start of a bad thing when she blurted that out....just as she was introduced. Hilarious. And pathetic.

TenFanLA
06-20-2011, 07:24 PM
I wish Davydenko would retire soon and become an announcer for ESPN. He'd be the GOAT. Something like, "Serena would be very good child-bearing comrade in my country," "Murray would not be a good person to fix matches with because his body language of tanking is too obvious," "If she weren't a tennis player, Maria would fetch top dollars at girl hotess bars," etc.

Ronaldo
06-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Evert: "We're not competing in the booth are we? Ha ha ha ha"

I knew it was the start of a bad thing when she blurted that out....just as she was introduced. Hilarious. And pathetic.

Thanks for the correction. Need that edge.

norbac
06-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot how she ruined Tennis Magazine too.

TenFanLA
06-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Don't forget Evert also ruined Mike Greenberg's chances of winning the mixed US Open.

fedhingis515
06-20-2011, 07:50 PM
They shouldn't allow women to commentate together.

ttwarrior1
06-20-2011, 07:52 PM
i think she is great, and right on. Love it.

Kaz00
06-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Who was the guy commenting on the Donald Young match? I like his commentating

Keld0r
06-20-2011, 11:14 PM
i like ken drysdale and darren cahill. i don't know which network they work for, i seem to get them on NBC but of course they dont cover matches unless they have top players in them or are later rounds. i don't have espn (fortunately?) lol

JohnnyCracker
06-20-2011, 11:44 PM
i think she is great, and right on. Love it.

right! she must be your mom.

I turned on ESPN and saw 5 talking heads...Cahill, Hannah Storm, Mary Joe, Shriver, and Evert. Four women and one guy. Cahill didn't stand a chance...coudln't get a word in. WTF, ESPN? I'm sticking with the internet for the rest of the coverage.

one of Evert's many insightful commentaries was "Dokic sure looks like she's carrying around a few extra pounds." How profound! :lol: LOL
She repeated this several times throughout the match like she couldn't think of anything else to say or maybe Dokic's big gut really bothered Evert.

FeVer
06-21-2011, 12:24 AM
They should get Samuel L Jackson to guest commentate.

MixieP
06-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Pam and Chris were babbling on like mad so I found another link - and got Boris who were stating the obvious as if it was some profound philosophy.

I miss Robbie Koenig and his gang. They are good.

dirtballer
06-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Pam and Chris were babbling on like mad so I found another link - and got Boris who were stating the obvious as if it was some profound philosophy.

I totally agree. Just because you were a great player doesn't mean you have anything interesting to say.

cc0509
06-21-2011, 05:25 AM

Oh please, don't be silly. I agree with you that being a past GS winner does not make one a great commentator, but Chris Evert is just fine. She is a lot better than Boris Becker. With his thick accent and slurring you can't understand a word he says. Plus, he is just awful. Nothing interesting to say at all. I would pick Evert over that bozo Chris Fowler any day. He adds nothing at all to that ESPN group. At least the others have tennis experience in some way. What kind of tennis experience does Fowler have. He is the worst by far.

cc0509
06-21-2011, 05:28 AM
They shouldn't allow women to commentate together.

Yeah, sure! What century are you living in? What a stupid statement.

montrealforum
06-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Jason Goodall is very good too.Fred Stolle. I agree, bring in people like Luke Jensen and Jeff Tarango.

Did Becker really say those things? Wow.

stringertom
06-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Years in the FL sun have not agreed with your skin, girl! No reason to share your pain on HDTV with us. Take some tips from Hannah on the booth wardrobe. Then, maybe Kornheiser will hit on you and get fired.

jerriy
06-21-2011, 02:51 PM
The choice is between the likes of Pam Shriver/Navrativova and Evert

I'd rather have Evert do the commenting any day.

Sentinel
06-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Yep. Jason Goodall, or during FO we had Fred Stolle.

But you guys are still lucky, we in India (maybe Asia) have to put up with the gentlemanly "V J" Amritraj and Alan Wilkinson during WO and AO.:)

effervescence
06-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Yep. Jason Goodall, or during FO we had Fred Stolle.

But you guys are still lucky, we in India (maybe Asia) have to put up with the gentlemanly "V J" Amritraj and Alan Wilkinson during WO and AO.:)

LOL, Vijay cracks me up so much with his never-ending "I say!" and "YESgoodserve".

Paul Murphy
06-22-2011, 03:39 AM
Surely Kevin Skinner rates an honourable mention.

dschwa00
01-21-2012, 06:36 AM
Found a new member to the list of "god-awful!" Message to Taylor Dent....SHUT UP....SHUT UP.....SHUT UP!!!!!!!

bjk
01-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Found a new member to the list of "god-awful!" Message to Taylor Dent....SHUT UP....SHUT UP.....SHUT UP!!!!!!!

Dent is not the most fluent speaker. Not much of a personality (or career) either. He might want to consider another line of work.

Tony48
01-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah, not in love with Dent's commentary, either.

nadalwon2012
01-21-2012, 07:31 AM

*after the next point*

"...to shade his eyes"

I like Becker's commentary for this reason. Not sure if Becker is trying to be funny, but he consistently is.

joeri888
01-21-2012, 07:33 AM
I actually like the BBC coverage during Wimbledon. Henman, Rusedski, Becker, they are quite simplistic, but not too obvious, some good insights sometimes. Like them. Like Sue Barker as well.

Wish a current great player (preferably Federer, but Roddick or Hewitt would be cool too) decides to join in some day in the future..

jakemcclain32
01-21-2012, 07:38 AM
I wish Davydenko would retire soon and become an announcer for ESPN. He'd be the GOAT. Something like, "Serena would be very good child-bearing comrade in my country," "Murray would not be a good person to fix matches with because his body language of tanking is too obvious," "If she weren't a tennis player, Maria would fetch top dollars at girl hotess bars," etc.

Thinking of his thick accent, I could really hear him saying this stuff, haha.

nadalwon2012
01-21-2012, 07:39 AM
I agree, Davydenko has it all, he is hilarious in interviews and his wife is great too. I saw an Australian Open interview with Davydenko and his wife a couple of years ago. Wish I had it on youtube.

Racquet Daddy
01-21-2012, 07:42 AM
I couldn't stand Chris Evert's commentary during the 2011 US Open, and nothing has changed.

OddJack
01-21-2012, 07:45 AM
I like Chris and the rest of the commentator crew at ESPN, maybe except mary joe, and I like Navaratilova at tc.

You guys dont know what bad commentating is and dont understand it when you hear a good one. What you deserve is the likes of Koeing just because he says " He cut under there like a surgeon, or got out of jail..." With no insight into the match whatsoever, only stupid announcement of what you already see on the screen. And I dont blame you, you want to watch tennis like you watch an Arnold movie, or an Action cartoon. Someone says ..." Ahhh he cut it like a diamond cutter.." and you are high on ecstasy and keep repeating it like a baby repeats a new word.

It's like whining about commentators is a class act around here.

ESPN has a good team of commentators and I think I am getting my money's worth. They do a good job of commenting on a variety of subjects to keep a broad spectrum of viewers happy, but sorry video game players fall short on their priority list.

Breaker
01-21-2012, 08:00 AM
any samples?

"Jankovic has nothing to hurt McHale with, the young American should come through that one without too much struggle"

I didn't watch the match but saw the scoreline (2 and 0 for Jankovic) and remembered her saying that :lol:

DeShaun
01-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Yesterday during the Ivanovic match Chris and Pam were calling, Evert commented how laudable it was that Anna was fighting (career-wise) to find her way back to the top. Evert seemed to take a very friendly jab at Pam. She said to Pam, "Anna moves so elegantly on court. . .is so beautiful to watch. That is so good for women's tennis, right Pam?"
Oh my god! I waited with bated breath for Shriver's reply, recalling images of Pam from her playing days, of her lumbering bow-legged around a court. There was long silence. Pam finally spoke,"There's a lot of women: Caroline, Stossur, Lisicki, Li, who are all good for the sport, Chris."

It was kind of funny; but yeah, those two commentators sure talk too much about stupid stuff. They remind me of telephone "conversations" I sometimes have with my mother which tend to go something like this:
"Hi Mom."

"DeShaauun! So good to hear from you! I (blah blah blah) and my (blah blah blah), anyways, my (blah blah) for me (blah blah blah) so, I (blah blah blah) me(blah blah) and my(blah blah)

"Okay mom, I Gotta go. Luv ya"

skip1969
01-21-2012, 08:10 AM
i haven't watched a single match on tv. it's all espn3 for me. i've had the pleasure of a few early round matches with no commentary at all, which was brilliant. yesterday i even caught some legends doubles with leconte/forget, and it was pretty cool to be able to hear their jokes. funny stuff, with no commentary.

i don't think i've heard much of chris evert, but then i haven't watched any women's matches. i don't remember her being that awful.

doug adler and whichever one of the irritating jensens is with him have actually made me switch streams or mute entire sets. chris fowler bugs the crap outta me. the list goes on. but i mute a lot.

fuzz nation
01-21-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm a bit of a tennis person in that I teach, coach high school kids, play the game a bundle, and try to keep track of the game in general as best I can. While a little tolerance goes a long way for me, I also expect some level of quality in the delivery of tennis coverage, especially from a network that's dedicated to the sport.

When Evert showed up for some commentating, I was sure that she'd have some strong insight to share, since she's very much been-there-done-that. No, she's never been much of an electrifying speaker, but she's fluent enough that I'd expect her thoughts to carry through the TV easily enough.

Although there aren't all too many absolute truths in the sport, I can only say that more often than not, I strongly disagree with WAY too much of what that lady has to say. Some of these talking heads feel routinely compelled to say something instead of nothing, even when that something may be plucked straight out of their nether region. Evert is no exception, but there's also a pervasive nastiness in the lens she uses when she gets to babbling.

Can't completely mute the TV while a match is running, but it's much better for my blood pressure when I've got her turned way down. Not ashamed to say that I'm confident that I actually could do a better job than she does... but not today. I'm sounding like an orc with the head bug I'm fighting off.

skip1969
01-21-2012, 08:12 AM
you made me laugh, deshaun.

hoodjem
01-21-2012, 08:18 AM
So much negativity!

Enjoy capitalism at its best, or worst: name recognition equals money (not erudition or accuracy or verbal abilities).

There is little difference.

DeShaun
01-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I'm a bit of a tennis person in that I teach, coach high school kids, play the game a bundle, and try to keep track of the game in general as best I can. While a little tolerance goes a long way for me, I also expect some level of quality in the delivery of tennis coverage, especially from a network that's dedicated to the sport.

When Evert showed up for some commentating, I was sure that she'd have some strong insight to share, since she's very much been-there-done-that. No, she's never been much of an electrifying speaker, but she's fluent enough that I'd expect her thoughts to carry through the TV easily enough.

Although there aren't all too many absolute truths in the sport, I can only say that more often than not, I strongly disagree with WAY too much of what that lady has to say. Some of these talking heads feel routinely compelled to say something instead of nothing, even when that something may be plucked straight out of their nether region. Evert is no exception, but there's also a pervasive nastiness in the lens she uses when she gets to babbling.

Can't completely mute the TV while a match is running, but it's much better for my blood pressure when I've got her turned way down. Not ashamed to say that I'm confident that I actually could do a better job than she does... but not today. I'm sounding like an orc with the head bug I'm fighting off.

I agree. She seems overly critical in a negative way.
Some adults seem more responsive to negative reinforcement than encouragement. They produce better desired results when treated/spoken to this way.
I believe she may have been a child whose own internal narrative and coaches/key authority figures were this way towards her, which treatment she was somehow able to process and convert to desired results; but as far as the majority of people are concerned, "you can attract more flies with honey than vinegar."

DoubleDeuce
01-21-2012, 08:30 AM
haha

Interesting how some armchair pundits claim they can do a better job having never played a professional match in their lives, and some even go ahead and find the roots of the problem in her past.
Some of you guys will never understand how a billion dollar channel like ESPN is run. Good thing they dont have you as commentators or child psyche analyst.

fuzz nation
01-21-2012, 08:37 AM
haha

Interesting how some armchair pundits claim they can do a better job having never played a professional match in their lives, and some even go ahead and find the roots of the problem in her past.
Some of you guys will never understand how a billion dollar channel like ESPN is run. Good thing they dont have you as commentators or child psyche analyst.

...but I do understand that their product is crap... and I say this with the profound understanding of the fact that I have zero broadcasting experience. At least in that small light, perhaps Chris actually is a heckuva motivator!!!

Atherton2003
01-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Most of the commentators aren't too good. Evert, Carillo, Gimlestob, Fowler, Fernandez, Shriver, Gilbert...all terrible. I can tolerate Cahill. I like Patrick and John McEnroe too.

rufusbgood
01-21-2012, 09:32 AM
I've been watching the matches on some Romanian feed and have seen 2 matches without commentators. When the feed is not choppy I think this is the best way to watch. You can hear the action without the blather.

bjk
01-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Chris is working to pay the alimony.

Bjorn99
01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
She was apparently the most active horizontal, cursing bunny of the circuit as well. Always ready and raring to go. Just what I heard.

TheTruth
01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
May I also suggest Tennis Magazine as another example of something else (along with her marriages :)) Chris has totally destroyed.

It is a shell of its former self. A friend of mine ordered it for me recently and I almost threw it away thinking that it was a (junk mail) pamphlet.

I'm with the poster who said they wonder how America fell in love with her. She's haughty and dismissive beyond belief.

TheTruth
01-21-2012, 11:49 AM
"Jankovic has nothing to hurt McHale with, the young American should come through that one without too much struggle"
I didn't watch the match but saw the scoreline (2 and 0 for Jankovic) and remembered her saying that :lol:

Priceless!

TheTruth
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM

I agree. I don't like any of the ESPN commentators. I see extreme nastiness in them all. I read a lot of other tennis opinions, and outside of the ones that are personally aligned with them, their opinions do not seem to be in the majority of other tennis pundits. Their predictions are always off base and they continually jump from one bandwagon to the next.

I thought Cahill was going to be better than he is, but since he knows where his money is, I guess, money talks for some people.

RoddickAce
01-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Priceless!

Ya, I was a bit shocked to hear that too, considering Jankovic was a former #1 and still has a great game.

Mick
01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
it turns out that mchale had nothing to hurt jankovic :)

Bjorn99
01-21-2012, 01:07 PM
She is probably down and horizontal with some old curmdudgeon in charge of tennis programming. Only explanation that makes any sense.

Lsmkenpo
01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Chris Fowler is annoying he constantly puts his little spin into the commentary that is completely illogical to the match at hand, for instance in the Raonic Hewitt match, it was one set apiece and Hewitt was up a break.

Fowler comes out with "If Raonic can finish off Hewitt here he will face Djokovic in the next round":confused: Someone should have told Fowler Hewitt was winning the match at the time.

nikdom
01-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Most of the commentators aren't too good. Evert, Carillo, Gimlestob, Fowler, Fernandez, Shriver, Gilbert...all terrible. I can tolerate Cahill. I like Patrick and John McEnroe too.

JMac's best quality is that he detects shifts in momentum and what may be going on in a player's head very well. When using his own experience as a barometer he can be self-deprecating which makes any criticism of the game's current state more believable/agreeable.

He does tend to be a bandwagoner, being overly effusive in his praise for the current numero uno. He also makes big and bold statements which he starts qualifying later. But I would still rate him the best American commentator.

I just hate it when he has Ted Robinson in the booth with him. If there was a person who makes vacuous and obvious statements in the sport, I don't him or her.

nadalwon2012
01-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Roger Rasheed was Hewitt's coach (Hewitt sunk like a stone in the rankings with him). Rasheed was commentating Hewitt's match last night and guess what? Hewitt lost the 1st set and then Rasheed said Hewitt should come in more and dictate play (Courier also said this, no surprise, Courier gets just about everything wrong). Hewitt won the next 3 sets and match by standing further back and retrieving everything until Raonic made unforced errors :D and Hewitt did something else Rasheed/Courier never mentioned, he started to go for broke on his 1st serve and got plenty of big service winners.

Atherton2003
01-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I forgot to mention - don't like Courier.

stormholloway
01-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Roger Rasheed was Hewitt's coach (Hewitt sunk like a stone in the rankings with him). Rasheed was commentating Hewitt's match last night and guess what? Hewitt lost the 1st set and then Rasheed said Hewitt should come in more and dictate play (Courier also said this, no surprise, Courier gets just about everything wrong). Hewitt won the next 3 sets and match by standing further back and retrieving everything until Raonic made unforced errors :D and Hewitt did something else Rasheed/Courier never mentioned, he started to go for broke on his 1st serve and got plenty of big service winners.

This seems to be the default suggestion for commentators when they watch a counter puncher who is down in a match: "Be more aggressive." It's pretty simplistic. Hewitt is a tremendous volleyer but you're right: Hewitt won by being less aggressive.

BeHappy
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM

Roger Rasheed is a joke. What happened was Hewitt's real coach Darren Cahill was poached by Agassi, so Hewitt got Rasheed, who was his physical fitness trainer, to sit in the stands for moral support (like Gil Reyes did for Agassi) because he'd no coach. He also got Rasheed to arrange hitting partners for him.

Rasheed thought he was now Hewitt's coach and tried telling Hewitt what to do, so Hewitt fired him, Rasheed profited from his association with Hewitt by getting a string of high profile coaching jobs.

He's a con man.It's absolutely incredible. Knows nothing about tennis and look at him now, respected former coach of Monfils and television pundit.

nadalwon2012
01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
This seems to be the default suggestion for commentators when they watch a counter puncher who is down in a match: "Be more aggressive." It's pretty simplistic. Hewitt is a tremendous volleyer but you're right: Hewitt won by being less aggressive.

Yep. And that is exactly how Nadal beat Raonic too, by getting everything back until Raonic shoots himself in the foot. Also I remember a match vs Cilic at the AO in the past whereby Nadal did a similar thing. I actually forecast during the Hewitt match that he'd beat Raonic that way. Some guys are time-bombs and you just have extend the rally until they self-implode with errors. Raonic didn't make awful errors, but he made enough.

Bartelby
01-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Roger Rasheed is the only one prepared to sit out in the sun and work on his tan.

cork_screw
01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Amen, brotha

nadalwon2012
01-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Roger Rasheed is a joke. What happened was Hewitt's real coach Darren Cahill was poached by Agassi, so Hewitt got Rasheed, who was his physical fitness trainer, to sit in the stands for moral support (like Gil Reyes did for Agassi) because he'd no coach. He also got Rasheed to arrange hitting partners for him.

Rasheed thought he was now Hewitt's coach and tried telling Hewitt what to do, so Hewitt fired him, Rasheed profited from his association with Hewitt by getting a string of high profile coaching jobs.

He's a con man.It's absolutely incredible. Knows nothing about tennis and look at him now, respected former coach of Monfils and television pundit.

Exactly, it's a very odd story. And now Rasheed is commentating as if he's a tennis tactician lol.

According to Agassi's "Open", Cahill was about to sign with Marat Safin, but Agassi persuaded him.

adamX012
01-21-2012, 06:18 PM
OP, your title is very catchy but...

"Welcome to our new worst commentator...."

Don't say that we all learn from the experience though...

SLD76
01-21-2012, 06:23 PM
this^^^:) lmao.

West Coast Ace
01-21-2012, 06:25 PM
becker has to differentiate between wearing them to shade your eyes and to wear them for false coolness (becker does the latter)
Or hide from someone serving you papers to do a Paternity Test.

Chris doesn't have much to say, to put it nicely. But her voice isn't grating like Big Bird Shriver and Carillo - so it's easy to just ignore her.

nadalwon2012
01-21-2012, 06:30 PM
A few years ago I saw Marv Albert on the Letterman show shortly before Wimbledon. Albert mentioned that he would be commentating at Wimbledon. As some of you may know, Marv Albert is the most famous NBA commentator of all-time. His voice is behind all of Jordan's greatest plays. Letterman imitated what he thought Albert would sound like at Wimbledon. Letterman in a gruff voice yelled "MARTINA HINGIS! YESSSS!"

SLD76
01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
They couldnt have marv at wimbledon, none of the ball girls would be safe.

nadalwon2012
01-21-2012, 06:35 PM
They couldnt have marv at wimbledon, none of the ball girls would be safe.

I'm not sure really, I never heard about his romantic life.

SLD76
01-21-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure really, I never heard about his romantic life.
eh yeah, he was charged with assault after he allegedly got caught cheating on his wife and failed to inform his paramour that he wanted to engage in rough sex.

apparently he had the woman tied up in a hotel room and the biting got out of hand....or something to that effect.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/marv-albert-faces-sentencing-in-sexual-assault-case

Caesar
01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Man, you guys should count your blessings. Here in Australia we have Channel Seven drafting in their Australian football commentators to sit beside people like Courier in the commentary box.

They do absolutely nothing except tell us what we're watching, mispronounce every surname from east of the Rhine, and wank on when they find an obscure statistic in a vain attempt to be relevant.

nikdom
01-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Man, you guys should count your blessings. Here in Australia we have Channel Seven drafting in their Australian football commentators to sit beside people like Courier in the commentary box.

They do absolutely nothing except tell us what we're watching, mispronounce every surname from east of the Rhine, and wank on when they find an obscure statistic in a vain attempt to be relevant.

I never understood that. Australia is a country that has a long and glorious tennis history. I used to wonder why Courier was brought in to do commentary down there (especially when the slang and twang are so different). Don't your past tennis greats work the tennis booth?

tangerine
01-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Try listening to Tracy Austin sometime, Chris Evert isn't so bad compared to her.

ZeroSkid
01-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Chris Evert is a great player but a idiotic commentator, same with Jim Courier

Caesar
01-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Courier gets a bad rap. I don't agree with a lot of what he has to say, but at least he proffers an opinion. He's also relatively personable.

The only commentators I really hate are the ones who think they have to fill dead air with inanities. 'He'll be really happy to get a break here'. 'At 5-6, this is a crucial service game'. That sort of thing.

Last night, when Hewitt squared it up at 6-6, one of the commentators solemnly told us 'one of these guys is about to win the set'.

The depressing thing is that it was only my second-worst facepalm moment of the tournament. The previous night someone made a Harry Potter simile (he compared the match to something called quiditch).

nereis
01-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I actually like Courier if the alternative is having to listen to Rasheed talk more. I enjoy listening to Stolle and Newcombe more though, they have interesting stories to draw on from their own playing days. Newcombe was especially right today when he was confused as to why Lopez wasn't just going for broke and coming in more when Nadal was half lobbing returns back. The Australian style and game has always been very aggressive and it shows in the commentary booth, but against a great retriever and baseline player like Nadal you almost have to be hitting out of your mind to win sets.

Avles
01-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Dent is not the most fluent speaker. Not much of a personality (or career) either. He might want to consider another line of work.

Huh, I've really enjoyed Dent's commentary so far in this tournament. I like the way he breaks down points tactically, and he seems willing to be candid without being gossipy.

For example, when someone asked over twitter whether Tipsarevic has reached his ranking ceiling at number 9, he didn't give a canned "the sky's the limit" type answer, but instead said that he thinks Tipsy lacks the firepower to rise much higher. I don't know that everyone would be that frank.

Doesn't really matter to me if he's a fluent speaker or a personality. A couple of times he's been in chitchat mode during an important point in the match, but otherwise I think he's been solid, and much better than, say, Murphy Jensen, who seems to be more about "personality" than insight.

Caesar
01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Newcombe was especially right today when he was confused as to why Lopez wasn't just going for broke and coming in more when Nadal was half lobbing returns back. The Australian style and game has always been very aggressive and it shows in the commentary booth, but against a great retriever and baseline player like Nadal you almost have to be hitting out of your mind to win sets.

Newcombe's solution for every player having problems is to come to the net more.

willshot
01-21-2012, 09:28 PM
The worst statement i've heard from Chris evertt is.....

" She needs to stop missing and make more balls in if she wants to win....."

lol. no chit

nereis
01-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Newcombe's solution for every player having problems is to come to the net more.

He usually says that when they're not even coming close to being competitive in baseline rallies and they have a big serve + good hands at net. I doubt he would ever advise that for Djokovic or Nadal, would probably comment more on either court positioning or choosing when to open up the court vs going down the line.

Bartelby
01-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Newcombe actually said that Nadal's high returns from the back court could be countered effectively by coming to the net to knock off the high ball and Lopez proved him correct.

But yes his advice is a little bit like a broken record.

Caesar
01-21-2012, 10:39 PM
I find most commentators tend to harp on about losing players doing what they did themselves in order to turn the match around. i.e. old guys like Newk say they should S&V more, Courier says they should be more aggressive on the return, etc.

You just take it with a grain of salt and move on.

Wangtang1
01-21-2012, 10:48 PM
In the UK, for the BBC, we mainly have John Lloyd, Andrew Castle and Tim Henman. Honestly, I think they're quite good.

There are a few lols though. Before the 2011 Wimbledon semi with Nadal - Murray, Lloyd predicted a Murray win but you could easily tell it was a desperate, "If I try to believe, it will come true" prediction. You could tell by his face that he was thinking, "No chance." He talked sense after the match though.

Also, all the commentators seem to go on and on about coming to the net more when it's Fed vs Nadal. I know Fed doesn't want rallies but if I was playing Nadal I would be terrified of giving any passing shot opportunities.

*breaksracquet
01-22-2012, 04:39 AM
Mute the TV.

Jimmy Arias (rarely commentates), IMO, was always good. Is really good at setting up players perspective and gives you the game without stupid colorful commentary. I think he's right up there with those three.

Atherton2003
01-22-2012, 04:43 AM
I'd like Nadal to be a US commentator after he retires from tennis. That would be classic.

nadalwon2012
01-22-2012, 04:48 AM
eh yeah, he was charged with assault after he allegedly got caught cheating on his wife and failed to inform his paramour that he wanted to engage in rough sex.

apparently he had the woman tied up in a hotel room and the biting got out of hand....or something to that effect.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/marv-albert-faces-sentencing-in-sexual-assault-case

Wow, I thought I knew him. That is incredible.

nadalwon2012
01-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Newcombe actually said that Nadal's high returns from the back court could be countered effectively by coming to the net to knock off the high ball and Lopez proved him correct.

But yes his advice is a little bit like a broken record.

And Newcombe got his answer when Lopez charged the net and Nadal suddenly flattened out his return and passed him easily.

I actually like Courier if the alternative is having to listen to Rasheed talk more. I enjoy listening to Stolle and Newcombe more though, they have interesting stories to draw on from their own playing days. Newcombe was especially right today when he was confused as to why Lopez wasn't just going for broke and coming in more when Nadal was half lobbing returns back. The Australian style and game has always been very aggressive and it shows in the commentary booth, but against a great retriever and baseline player like Nadal you almost have to be hitting out of your mind to win sets.

Exactly, Nadal is probably not a guy to charge at. The only way to really hold your serve at ease is to be an ace/unreturnable machine.

BigServer1
01-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Evert isn't great...

I don't understand the love for Navratilova though, talk about a blowhard who loves to hear herself talk. Also a terrible timbre to her voice.

It's weird, but when I watch matches on Directv's extended slam coverage, I find myself missing the ESPN shenanigans from Fowler, Mac, Cahill, and BG.

nereis
01-22-2012, 07:59 AM
And Newcombe got his answer when Lopez charged the net and Nadal suddenly flattened out his return and passed him easily.

Exactly, Nadal is probably not a guy to charge at. The only way to really hold your serve at ease is to be an ace/unreturnable machine.

Coming in off a first serve was really the only way Lopez had any chances that match. He was getting destroyed at the baseline both sides.

chandler bing
01-22-2012, 11:55 PM
The coverage here in Australia sucks. Jim Courier is so bad, I have to mute the sound when he's commentating.

nadalwon2012
01-23-2012, 12:02 AM
The coverage here in Australia sucks. Jim Courier is so bad, I have to mute the sound when he's commentating.

Jim Courier is definitely the worst commentator I've ever heard. He's only commentating so he can tell the world how much he loves Federer. Nadal is going to rip Courier's heart out, even more than he did in 2009 AO. No joke, Courier is toast, burnt toast.

Defcon
01-23-2012, 12:59 AM
I would rather listen to Becker snoring than hear another word from Pam/Chris. I miss Mary Carillo.

DanaKz
01-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Guys, you are happy - you don't understand Russian. You cannot imagine what WE have to listen...
One 70 yo who calls Tsonga "Dzonga", "Tsonga" and "Songa" - all three names can come in one phrase... He pronounces Monfils's name like "Jil".
Another one read Zahlavova's twitter during her match with Serena.
Yeah, right, Zahlavova was serving and he was reading: "Dec 20... Yes, Barbora tweetted her new coach's photo..."
Serena is hooting winner and he: "Oh wait wait, it's snowman, it's not her new coach, ha, she cot me!"

Oh my... My ears were bleeding.

Tennis_Stringman
01-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Pat Mac has no insight. His views are rather pedestrian being the journeyman that he is. Same with Mary Joe, all their comments are pedestrian filler empty and mundane. The best is when they have guest commentators come in the booth and give relative insightful input. Agassi was very good in the booth, Todd Martin, anyone except the current crew. Only Cahill has good insight. Evert has some competitive biotchyness which comes out. She and Shriver can't stand each other it would seem. Chris Fowler won't ever STFU. Vitus Gerulaitus use to be great on the old USA Network for the open. JMac is the best. I like Drydale and Fred Stolle. Hearing BG then you know why Murray fired his *** after a few month even though the UK federation was paying for his services. To Murray, BG was worthless even if he was free to him.

Magnetite
01-23-2012, 08:25 AM
She's really bad. I don't like her commentating at all.

She's not that bad to look at though, for an oldie.

nereis
01-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Henri Leconte, despite normally being extremely biased towards French players, gave Nishikori all the props in the world for his victory over Tsonga.

He just got rescued from the scrappy heap for me.

Ronaldo
01-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Pat Mac has no insight. His views are rather pedestrian being the journeyman that he is. Same with Mary Joe, all their comments are pedestrian filler empty and mundane. The best is when they have guest commentators come in the booth and give relative insightful input. Agassi was very good in the booth, Todd Martin, anyone except the current crew. Only Cahill has good insight. Evert has some competitive biotchyness which comes out. She and Shriver can't stand each other it would seem. Chris Fowler won't ever STFU. Vitus Gerulaitus use to be great on the old USA Network for the open. JMac is the best. I like Drydale and Fred Stolle. Hearing BG then you know why Murray fired his *** after a few month even though the UK federation was paying for his services. To Murray, BG was worthless even if he was free to him.

What is up with Evert's sarcasm? Sam Stosur has at least 5 to 10 prime years left at the top? Bet her off-camera comments are classic.

spiderman123
01-23-2012, 06:09 PM

SLJ: <after a commentator makes a stupid statement> TENNIS M*, DO YOU PLAY IT?
----

SLJ: Say SERENA one more time, say SERENA ONE MORE TIME. I DARE YOU. I DOUBLE DARE YOU.

----
SLJ <courtside interview of Djokovic> : DEscribe Rafa to me.
NJ: He is spanish, wears funny shorts.
SLJ: Go on.
NJ: Looks like a Ninja Turtle.
SLJ: DOES HE LOOK LIKE A B*?

vsdtrek
01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
I did just cringe when Cliff Drysdale asked her during the Kim vs Woz match if she's a skier and she said yes. Given her leaving skier Andy Mill to shack up with Greg Norman, I was thinking let's not go there with this topic.

Racquet Daddy
01-23-2012, 07:33 PM
After the first game in the 2nd set of the Wozzy/Kimmy match, Evert says: "I called this one completely wrong. Boy...I've been wrong this whole tournament."
Maybe they'll put her court side from now on.

Seany
01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
After the first game in the 2nd set of the Wozzy/Kimmy match, Evert says: "I called this one completely wrong. Boy...I've been wrong this whole tournament."
Maybe they'll put her court side from now on.

Actually that was Mary Jo who said that.

Racquet Daddy
01-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Seany, I've got DVR on my side - it was Chris.

Seany
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh, my bad.

Tennis_Stringman
01-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Solution: I'm watching the ESPN vid and muting the clowns Fowler & BG and listening to Wilander on Eurosport. Much better, more tennis analysis, less bland banter.