PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Head Liquidmetal Power Levels

smackit93
04-25-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm confused about the power level on the Head LM Radical Oversize and the Head LM Instinct. According to the power levels shown by Tennis Warehouse, the Instinct has more power than the Radical OS (the Instinct is shown as “low-medium” and the Radical OS is shown as “low”.

But, the TW racquet description for the Instinct says “The overall power level of the Instinct places it about midway between the power offered by the Liquidmetal Radical Midplus and Oversize.” In other words, the Instinct is LESS powerful than the Radical OS. This appears to contradict the power levels shown for the racquets.

Can someone clear this up for me? Which racquet is more powerful?

Another question on the LM Radical OS – the stiffness rating of 58 is lower than many other racquets- what’s the significance of this?

AndyC
04-25-2004, 03:06 PM
I've used all 3 and the Instinct generates more power than either version of the Radical except on the serve where I found the Radicals (especially the mid) had more pop. The difference isn't huge actually and at the end ot the day it's down to personal preference. It would be preferable if u could demo all three before u buy.

The reason I chose the Instinct was because it had a larger sweetspot and felt easier on my arm and was also more maneuvrable at the net and I've always used rackets with approx 100 sq inches of hitting area. I've actually added 15 grams of weight to my Instinct so that the head has a bit more mass but also making it more head light at the same time.

Stiffness (to me) primarily is a measure of how much vibration is transmitted to my arm. The greater the stiffness the less the frame absorbs the impact. Folk who suffer tennis elbow are generally speaking better off with a less stiff frame.

sanitarium
04-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Ok after being a bit confused by your post for a while I think I understand the problem now.

If a racquet is noted as being 'powerful' it is usually meant more for players who can't generate as much pace on their own, and adds a bit of power to the shot whilst usually sacrificing a bit of control.

The lm radical OS is one of the most powerful racquets out there in the sense that if you generate enough head speed (your own power) it will drive balls.

Or another example my prestige is rated as power level 'low' while having high control, designed for players who have very fast swings. The instinct will be used mainly for players who need a bit of power added to their strokes, i.e they can't generate as much head speed with their strokes.