PDA

View Full Version : EVERY player apart from top 3 are chokers

tennis_fan_182
06-21-2011, 07:29 AM
In fact you could argue that Federer chokes against Nadal, Djokovic chokes against Federer, and Nadal chokes against Djokovic.

Watching tennis nowadays you don't see ANYONE step up their game on a big occasion. And, if, in a slam, a lower ranked player gets a lead they always blow it and lose without exception.

If tennis players in general just had a MODICUM of mental strength the game would be more interesting. Schiavone and Nadal are my models for mental strength even though I hate both of their games.

ksbh
06-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Disagree! According to Federer fans, Federer is a choker, so you have to include him on the list.

In fact you could argue that Federer chokes against Nadal, Djokovic chokes against Federer, and Nadal chokes against Djokovic.

Watching tennis nowadays you don't see ANYONE step up their game on a big occasion. And, if, in a slam, a lower ranked player gets a lead they always blow it and lose without exception.

If tennis players in general just had a MODICUM of mental strength the game would be more interesting. Schiavone and Nadal are my models for mental strength even though I hate both of their games.

jrachiever
06-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Have you ever played competitive tennis?

LuckyR
06-21-2011, 02:50 PM

Yeah I know!!! Every tennis match I watch, one of the players chokes... then loses the match!!! Crazy eh???

Pwned
06-21-2011, 02:54 PM

Failing to 'step up their game' does not equate to choking.

Choke - In sports, a "choke" is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event.

tennis_fan_182
06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
nervy, choking - it's all the same thing.

When a player gets hot, why not just stay hot the whole match? The whole season? Their whole career?

Tennis is the sport with the biggest percentage of nervy chokers and headcases ever.

Pwned
06-21-2011, 03:51 PM
nervy, choking - it's all the same thing.

When a player gets hot, why not just stay hot the whole match? The whole season? Their whole career?

Tennis is the sport with the biggest percentage of nervy chokers and headcases ever.

Comparing tennis to what? Team sports obviously cannot be compared with since you have a whole lineup of teammates to rely on.

tennis_fan_182
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
yeh I guess tennis, being an individual sport just highlights how mentally weak the human race is

wilkinru
06-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Maybe it is just the averages finally panning out?

Sorry but the better players are better because they move faster, hit the ball harder/more consistently, serve better, play smarter.

So you see a guy, lower ranked destroying a top player for a set and then suddenly the match changes and the top player goes on this massive roll.

Remember Fed vs Devydanko in the Aus open a while back? Fed was doomed and then he went on this insane streak.

That is all because the lesser player red-lined his game, took the risk to win. Instead of hit the ball back cross court, they go for the down the line outright winner. One can make a lot of choices during a match, but vs a better player, you need to take these risks.

I would say Blake's constant risk taking is more of a sign of not believing he is a top player, even when he was. No confidence in himself, always feels like he is the underdog in every match.

LuckyR
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
yeh I guess tennis, being an individual sport just highlights how mentally weak the human race is

Well, if the whole human race is doing it, that makes it "average", not "weak"...

wy2sl0
06-21-2011, 06:01 PM
I just looked up the definition of choke in the ATP dictionary, it is as follows...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5H5pIHfl_M&feature=related

Tammo
06-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Womens matches have tons of chokes, but on the ATP there aren't as many. but I do have to admit Federer did choke 4 times last year.

kishnabe
06-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Federer chokes against Nadal. Nadal chokes on Banana's. Djokovic chokes 50 percet of the time at the 2nd week of a slam!

gold soundz
06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I'd say Del Potro's as mentally strong as the top 3 and also a non-choker.

Sentinel
06-21-2011, 09:11 PM
You sure start a LOT of threads.

@ksbh said it for me.

ksbh
06-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Like father like son!

:)

You sure start a LOT of threads.

@ksbh said it for me.

Cup8489
06-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Actually, OP, every tennis player, in the history of the sport, as every athlete in the history of sport, and every human in the history of the human race, is a choker.

There is no mentally strong person, ever. We should all be exterminated.

Ok, now the serious part: get a clue.

BobFL
06-22-2011, 10:12 AM
I'll quote Mc: "Everybody chokes. Great players just choke less."

tennis_pro
06-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Yep, weak field explains it.

jackson vile
06-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Yep, weak field explains it.

From everything we have seen, everyone is weak and choking. Federer was choking against Nadal, Nadal was choking against Novak, Novak was choking against Federer.

Wow, these top 4 players could be the weakest players of all time

I.E. WOAT