PDA

View Full Version : I know it's been said before, but Evert needs to go.

pvaudio
06-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Please, ESPN. Spare your airtime, money, and our ears.

Clarky21
06-21-2011, 09:47 AM
I agree. She's damn awful.

drakulie
06-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Agreed. Also, Shiver and Carillo should be banned from commentating on tennis as well.

pvaudio
06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
^^^ That, my friend, goes without saying. :)

sureshs
06-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Evert is just an honest gal trying to make some quick bucks to pay for her next marriage and divorce.

BlewByU
06-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Agreed. Also, Shiver and Carillo should be banned from commentating on tennis as well.

well noted. Shriver is extra annoying.

i will take Navratilova instead any day!

GS
06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Jeez, who's left? Since Austin and Mary Jo are either annoying and/or boring (like Carillo, Evert and Shriver), I guess it comes down to Navratilova (or Renee Richards....)

firefox
06-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Get rid of all these old bats and hire Golovin! :)

BlewByU
06-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Jeez, who's left? Since Austin and Mary Jo are either annoying and/or boring (like Carillo, Evert and Shriver), I guess it comes down to Navratilova (or Renee Richards....)

Navratilova is the real deal in tennis commentating.

Austin is okay as a novelty item too.

Winner_DownTheLine
06-21-2011, 10:33 AM
I honestly don't mind Evert. For me, Shriver needs to go.

mcenroefan
06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Navratilova is the real deal in tennis commentating.

Austin is okay as a novelty item too.

Agreed...Navratilova is probably the best of them all. She never gets in to all of the fawning GOAT stuff either. Of course, she has massive credibility as probably the best tennis player (male or female) to ever pick up a racket.

timeisonmyside
06-21-2011, 11:41 AM

DC: "Now let's send it back to the ESPN studio where our illustrious panel will preview the upcoming match between Maria Kirilenko and Flavia Pennetta. Tatiana, Anna, Maleen, take it away ladies!"

TG: "Thanks Darren. As you alluded to, we will be interrupting our scheduled coverage of the Serena Williams beatdown to bring you this match between the former doubles partners, Kirilenko and Pennetta."

AK: "Yes and after this match remember to stay tuned for Maleen's special - A Visitor's Guide to England."

MR: "Thanks Anna. After a long day enjoying the action here at the All England Club, you can unwind with me in some of England's most secluded, sexiest beaches."

LDVTennis
06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Evert's commentary was always questionable, but her persona always made up for it.

Having said that, just why does she need that much makeup? What is there to hide, her face?

jerriy
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
I honestly don't mind Evert. For me, Shriver needs to go.Seconded..

jerriy
06-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Evert's commentary was always questionable, but her persona always made up for itExactly.

No idea why the OP is moaning. The others pretend to know it all even when they are not exactly significantly more knowledgeable than Evert. So the likes of Shriver and Navra may know a little more but they do suck in terms of personality.

"For You I'm Like A Borderline Stalker" --Evert (talking about Fed today)

pmerk34
06-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Evert's commentary was always questionable, but her persona always made up for it.

Having said that, just why does she need that much makeup? What is there to hide, her face?

45 years in the sun didn't help her skin

sphinx780
06-21-2011, 01:12 PM
I'd be fine with Evert if I had to choose her or Shriver and Carillo...but removing the trifecta would be wonderful.

BigServer1
06-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I can't believe anyone likes Navratalova.

She's awful. Talks non-stop just to hear herself. It's bad.

Evert doesn't do it for me...Few commentators do.

vandre
06-21-2011, 01:29 PM
where do you want me to sign?

icazares
06-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Exactly.

No idea why the OP is moaning. The others pretend to know it all even when they are not exactly significantly more knowledgeable than Evert. So the likes of Shriver and Navra may know a little more but they do suck in terms of personality.

"For You I'm Like A Borderline Stalker" --Evert (talking about Fed today)

Oh, quite the opposite. She must know a lot of tennis. The problem is her personality. I'm not sure why people like her so much. Maybe she had better times, but this week she's coming across as a self-centered, arrogant and unsubstantiated commentator.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Probably has had some surgery in order to look younger.

THUNDERVOLLEY
06-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Evert offers no insight about matches or players. She simply says the same thing as her co-hosts, or offers observations heard a million times before. Shriver & Mary Jo have their issues, but they are superior to Evert.

sdont
06-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Lol. Golovin commentating a tennis match would be non-stop chatting about the latest gossips, with the occasional fashion insights.

NadalAgassi
06-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Who are the good female commentators though. Austin is pretty good, Navratilova, King. I dont know if King even does any commentary anymore though. Betsy Nagelsen was pretty good.

NadalAgassi
06-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Evert offers no insight about matches or players. She simply says the same thing as her co-hosts, or offers observations heard a million times before. Shriver & Mary Jo have their issues, but they are superior to Evert.

I agree. Shriver and Mary Joe even are far superior to Evert. I am surprised anyone hired Evert, she is the bottom of the barrel. Even Carillo is better.

Ledigs
06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
The only ones I like are jmac, darrin Cahill, brad Gilbert....

sureshs
06-21-2011, 03:18 PM
I sense a lot of sexism in the remarks about commentators. I think many men secretely don't like a woman commenting on men's games, but are afraid to say it, so they claim it is dislike or whatever.

Pwned
06-21-2011, 03:20 PM
I sense a lot of sexism in the remarks about commentators. I think many men secretely don't like a woman commenting on men's games, but are afraid to say it, so they claim it is dislike or whatever.

You haven't seen the threads about how Enberg, Fowler, and McEnroe suck?

pvaudio
06-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Oh, quite the opposite. She must know a lot of tennis. The problem is her personality. I'm not sure why people like her so much. Maybe she had better times, but this week she's coming across as a self-centered, arrogant and unsubstantiated commentator.
Thank you! All that needed to be said.

pvaudio
06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
I sense a lot of sexism in the remarks about commentators. I think many men secretely don't like a woman commenting on men's games, but are afraid to say it, so they claim it is dislike or whatever.Have you honestly not see me complain about Gilbert running his mouth endlessly for no reason? "Look at that DROPPAH!!" SO freaking annoying. So no, I'm not sexist at all. I quite like Navratilova and Davenport when they can get her. Shriver and Evert are the worst things to happen to commentary.

President
06-21-2011, 06:51 PM

It's unfortunately true that many female tennis commentators are terrible. Shriver, Carillo, Evert, Navratilova, are all pretty bad IMO. Fernandez is OK, but not too great. There are some bad male commentators (PMac, Enberg) also.

teAlexis
06-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I luv Carillo. She's funny and knowledgeable. Her and John McEnroe are good together. I think they were neighbors on Long Island. Pam Shriver is knowledgeable but tries to be entertaining and her hair fades in the sun. Even Martina is so-so. They do not have the voices for commentating.

Chris definitely has a deep smokey voice that ruins my tennis image of her. And I wish Marjo would stop nodding as if she's always in agreement with others.

And for the men, Patrick was excellent but now he's trying to be entertaining too. John has always been entertaining and quite knowledegable and sarcastic.
The English commentators are good but I say if they have to dye their hair...get someone else.

TennisFan3
06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Wade is really good, when I think of female commentators.

As far as normal commies, I love listening to Woodforde/Masur on Fox sports. While they are usually biased, they do analyze a match very well and talk about tactics again and again. They also don't talk other BS.

NadalAgassi
06-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I forgot about Wade. Wade and Ann Jones are the best by far.

cc0509
06-21-2011, 09:47 PM

I rarely agree with a word you say, but I agree with you here. No question.

As if most of the male commentators are far superior than the females in most cases. Far from it. Most of them are inferior ex-players who are now balding with a pot belly. Not exactly the cream of the crop. (and I am not talking about PMac or Cahill as they are fine most of the time)

nereis
06-21-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm in Australia, and we usually have John Newcombe or Jim Courier commentating. Last watch watching the Roddick match we had McEnroe. He was awful. Spent more time talking about what he'd like Roddick to do instead of talking about the various strategies Beck and Roddick would try to employ beyond the basics (Beck should use the lefty serve out wide, yeah we don't already know that *rolls eyes*).

norbac
06-21-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm in Australia, and we usually have John Newcombe or Jim Courier commentating. Last watch watching the Roddick match we had McEnroe. He was awful. Spent more time talking about what he'd like Roddick to do instead of talking about the various strategies Beck and Roddick would try to employ beyond the basics (Beck should use the lefty serve out wide, yeah we don't already know that *rolls eyes*).

That's pretty much PMac on every Roddick match.

dannykl
06-22-2011, 12:55 AM
Wade, B J King and Sue Baker are quite good commentators.

Austin is not bad.

Nav, Evert are not that good but acceptable.

Shriver and Mary Jo are doing a bad job in commenting matches.

AM95
06-22-2011, 02:49 AM
i dont see whats wrong with her. she's just a bit awkward but im sure as the tourney progresses she will get into the groove of things

FedererBestTennis
06-30-2011, 06:30 PM
I had to bring back the thread because listening to her speak on the Sharapova-Lisicki match was absolutely disgraceful. The commentary would've been much better is she just shut her mouth. She says so many blatantly incorrect things it's not even funny...

Chris, I hope you're reading this!