PDA

View Full Version : Del Potro on grass

Towser83
06-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Well it's never going to be his favourite surface, that's for sure, but I think Del Potro has potential to be a dangerous man on the green stuff.

Pros -

Big serve, large wingspan

Cons -

Movement.

Things to work on -

Volleying.

Saw a bit of his match and at one point he did slip and fall. Moving on the grass is going to be tricky for him, but that's where the pros directly balance the cons.

His serve can be pretty scary. Who wants to run around the baseline on a surface that feels uncomfortable beneath your feet when you can end points quick? Del Potro is built to serve and volley a bit. His serve is big and at the net with those long arms, he'll not be the easiest man to pass.

I was pleased to see him come in to net a fair bit in his match, probably more so than Nadal, Djokovic or Murray. If he can improve his vollying and build more court awareness, mix it up a touch more, then I think he can become much better on grass. His best result is a second round here, so that's not going to be hard to improve on. Simon could wait in the 3rd round, and if he could get past that then Nadal will most likely take him out.

Not saying Del Potro can win Wimbledon, but I'm convinced he can adapt his game here to get much further in the next few years.

KyomasaNTH
06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I think Delpo has to work on his serve more. I feel like his serve is't on par with those of poeple his same height, maybe it's just me but his serve, and his volleys need to improve if he wants to be dangerous on grass.

Towser83
06-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I suppose considering his height, he could get more out of his serve. I think he will if he wrist is ok, I think he was getting more power on all of his shots until he got injured. Also something I didn't mention was if he can volley better it will save him hitting those wrist quaking forehands all the time...

KyomasaNTH
06-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Well like spaniards, argentinians, and most south american's enjoy camping out at the baseline. I think it was the aussie open when he lost to cilic that the commentator said "it seems almost like he's afraid of the net" very true. His wrist should be fully healed by now anyways, plus if he's just a little more cautious i think he can keep himslef from breaking it again.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Del Potro is a boy from the Pampas, he believes grass are for cows!

Towser83
06-21-2011, 03:54 PM
He did come into net quite a bit today though, and I think if he just forces himself to add this to his game it will work in his favour.

Spider
06-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Hahaha. Del Potro on grass is almost equivalent to Roddick on clay. I say almost because Roddick will achieve a lot more on clay than Del Potro in his lifetime on grass.

Towser83
06-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I think Roddick's best result at the French Open was a 4th round which took he about 8 or 9 years to achieve. Del Potro is at the 4th round of Wimbledon already, which is a great result. Next year hopefully he is top 5 and doesn't have to play Nadal til at least the quarters.

Rjtennis
06-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Good luck to Del Po tomorrow! It would be great to see him go deep. I think he can beat Nadal.

ViscaB
06-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Good luck to Del Po tomorrow! It would be great to see him go deep. I think he can beat Nadal.

He should have been seeded higher already. A flaw in the system.

Towser83
06-26-2011, 08:52 PM

I don't reckon he's up to that task on grass, but I hope I'm wrong. After losing to Del Potro 3 times in a row in 2009, Nadal didn't really give him much credit, saying that he (Nadal) hadn't played his tennis in any of those matches. I wanted to see what would happen if he beat him another few times in a row, as surely you have to eventually say "I played well but he played better" - especially when the guy's game is much more built for Hardcourt than Nadal's. Alas, he got injured. If he managed to beat Nadal on grass with his lack of experience, there could be no excuses on that one.

Lsmkenpo
06-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Players with long strides can't play their best tennis on grass, it is hard to have confidence in your play when you are worried about slipping, for this reason Del Potro will never be a top grass court player. Fast hard court is his niche.

OddJack
06-26-2011, 09:10 PM
If Muller could take Nadal to two TBs so can he, a little luck and much of effort he has a shot

Sharpshooter
06-26-2011, 09:13 PM
If Muller could take Nadal to two TBs so can he, a little luck and much of effort he has a shot

Delpo is not left handed and does not serve as well as Muller. It wasn't pace that was beating Rafa, it was placement as well as being very difficult to read.

TMF
06-26-2011, 09:33 PM
He should have been seeded higher already. A flaw in the system.

Nadal has been playing low ranked players, it's about time he get tested with a quality player. But even with del potro, Nadal will win in 3 anyway. Stop worrying.

Murrayfan31
06-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Del Potro destroyed Nadal at a slam that plays at a similar speed to Wimbledon. If only Del Potro could move as well on grass. The speed of the courts really suit him imo.

Towser83
06-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Well I think I've already been proved right here. He's done what Murray (seen as a very good grass court player) never has and taken a set off Nadal on grass, and he was very close to that first set too.

Considering he has never been past the 2nd round here, that's mighty impressive. He played well at net in the 2nd set too.

Towser83
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Very close match, Nadal didn't break him until the 4th set. Shame for Del Potro as if he'd played a few points better he could have won the match. But did very well overall. I said he could be dangerous on grass, especially if he came in to net and not to brag, but I was right.