PDA

View Full Version : Huh??? Roddick on Centre Court, Murray on No. 1 Court???????????

gold soundz
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
For Wednesday, Roddick will be on centre court whilst Murray is on Court 1. This seems extremely strange to me. Not only is Murray the home player who's all the talk lately (which is a huge factor obviously), but he's also ranked several places higher than Roddick. The first reason alone should easily put Murray on centre court over Roddick, let alone the second reason added as well. Whenever Lleyton Hewitt played in the Aus Open, even when his ranking was very low, they never ever put him any place other than centre court, and I doubt they even considered it. My question is: for what reason are they putting Roddick on centre court and Murray on the No. 1 court? Also, I might add, I personally couldn't care less which court Murray or Roddick play on, I'm just really curious as to why they'd make such a decision.

pvaudio
06-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Well, who is each player playing? If it's another big name against Roddick (at this point it'd have to be a former top player), then that makes sense. Otherwise, no, that makes no sense at all. I agree with you.

bms2011
06-21-2011, 08:21 PM
It's probably because of Roddick in the past having better results than Murray in Wimbledon. That's the only thing that I could really think of.

Pwned
06-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Roddick v Hanescu. Strange.

Ripster
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
It's a digrace, a outrage, an scandal

gold soundz
06-21-2011, 08:24 PM
It's probably because of Roddick in the past having better results than Murray in Wimbledon. That's the only thing that I could really think of.

Yeah but IMO, just the fact that Murray's the home player with all the incredible hype would easily override that, let alone he's ranked higher as I said before. Plus Murray's at least been to the semis twice, quarters once.

Doubles
06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah but IMO, just the fact that Murray's the home player with all the incredible hype would easily override that, let alone he's ranked higher as I said before. Plus Murray's at least been to the semis twice, quarters once.
The fact that he's the home favorite is important, and I'm sure he will play several matches on Centre Court during the fortnight, but as others have stated, Roddick has had more success than Murray, and is probably able to draw as big of a crowd as Andy M...

norbac
06-21-2011, 08:28 PM

Beat me to it.....

Roddick is very popular in Wimbledon I think, though of course Murray is very popular there as well, but I guess they want to give each their time in the big stage.

Murray played a match on court 1 last year too.

gold soundz
06-21-2011, 08:30 PM
The fact that he's the home favorite is important, and I'm sure he will play several matches on Centre Court during the fortnight, but as others have stated, Roddick has had more success than Murray, and is probably able to draw as big of a crowd as Andy M...

Still doesn't make sense to me. Murray = home player, lot's of hype, higher ranking, more interesting tennis playing. It's a no brainer.

Mustard
06-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Murray isn't fond of playing under the roof, anyway.

Lsmkenpo
06-21-2011, 08:38 PM
They probably asked Murray which court he wanted to play on, Centre Court is playing slower than Court #1.

gold soundz
06-21-2011, 08:41 PM
They probably asked Murray which court he wanted to play on, Centre Court is playing slower than Court #1.

Yeah good response. This seems like the only reason that would make logical sense to me.

dcdoorknob
06-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah good response. This seems like the only reason that would make logical sense to me.

I don't know, if I was Murray I'd want to be sure I'd be able to get my match in. Roof closed or surface speed shouldn't affect him too badly vs. Kamke. It's supposed to rain (more) tomorrow.

TMF
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
The OP forgot that Murray was on center court and Roddick was on Court 1 in the 1st round.

The 2nd round they exchange place, that sounds fair to me.

There's simply not enough for every big name players to play on center court per day, and don't forget the womens have their share of the center court.

gold soundz
06-21-2011, 08:59 PM
The OP forgot that Murray was on center court and Roddick was on Court 1 in the 1st round.

The 2nd round they exchange place, that sounds fair to me.

There's simply not enough for every big name players to play on center court per day, and don't forget the womens have their share of the center court.

Federer always plays on centre court at Wimbledon if I'm correct. Also at the Aus Open, Federer and Nadal and Hewitt always play on centre court, nothing else.

gold soundz
06-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't know, if I was Murray I'd want to be sure I'd be able to get my match in. Roof closed or surface speed shouldn't affect him to badly vs. Kamke. It's supposed to rain (more) tomorrow.

Maybe, but what other reason is there?

Feņa14
06-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I think one of either Federer or Djokovic will be on Court #1 on Thursday aswell, but that's because Soderling v Hewitt will probably be on Centre, which makes sense.

Putting Roddick on Centre doesn't make much sense to me, as a Brit, the Murray match is much more appealing. Last year I was on Centre when they put Soderling v Ginepri on, with Murray on Court #1. The people around me were pretty disappointed about that.

MichaelNadal
06-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Well Roddick is still a big name and draw, and has made Wimbledon finals. Relax guys they have to play 7 matches to win, Murray will be back on centre.

kishnabe
06-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Who is gonna a probably go further.....Murray. Have Roddick taste centre court while it lasts.

Lsmkenpo
06-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Murray doesn't like playing under the roof of centre court, with a chance of rain tomorrow I think he prefers waiting, to playing indoors on grass.

Murray keen to avoid more roof rage
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110618/wl_uk_afp/tennisgbrwimbledonmurray

Sentinel
06-21-2011, 09:40 PM
That should have been in the title. OP, please note.

Murray played under the roof in R1 while Roddick's match got moved to the next day (IIRC). So its okay.

Or maybe they mixed the two Andy's. :D

Tony48
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Wait, why is Roddick playing back-to-back days?

norbac
06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Wait, why is Roddick playing back-to-back days?

He was supposed to play on Monday but the rain led to his match being moved to Tuesday.

Tony48
06-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Ohhh. I see.

Fee
06-21-2011, 11:23 PM
It could be because Court 1 is a separately sold ticket so they want to make it attractive for the people who are paying the big bucks for it. Also, RG tries to rotate all the big players out to their #2 show court, so perhaps W. is giving that a try this year to see how it works for them. Considering Roddick's history at Wimbledon, I can see why he is considered a sentimental favorite there, worthy of at least one centre court match early on.

SystemicAnomaly
06-22-2011, 12:48 AM

But then Roddick had gotten to the QF, the SF and thrice to the Finals. One of the best Wimby finals of all time was his match against Federer in 2009. That year Murray lost in the SF. OTOH, Murray fared better that Roddick at Wimby 2010. Perhaps the move to crt #1 is meant to put less pressure on Murray -- he has succumbed to pressure in the past.

origmarm
06-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Could there be an element of putting the match they want to "catch up" on the court under the cover?

PCXL-Fan
06-22-2011, 01:20 AM
None of this cool headed logic is the reason. Its far more conspiratorial in nature. English have always been mistreating the Scots. Mum, Willie and Charlie are behind this.

They just know when Murray gets to the podium he's going to make a speech about freedom.

SystemicAnomaly
06-22-2011, 01:20 AM
^^ Could be a factor. As it is, Roddick has to play 2 days in a row.

AM95
06-22-2011, 03:39 AM
makes sense.

roddick has been to 3 finals (2004, 2005, 2009) while murray has been to two semis.

ChanceEncounter
06-22-2011, 03:42 AM
Federer always plays on centre court at Wimbledon if I'm correct. Also at the Aus Open, Federer and Nadal and Hewitt always play on centre court, nothing else.
Yes, well, when Murray wins Wimbledon a few times, then he would earn the right to play on center court every time he goes out there.

As it stands, I don't see it being a huge scandal that they decide to put a multiple-time finalist on center court.

onyxrose81
06-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Are people brain dead? Roddick is a very popular player in London, he's a multiple finalist and sentimental favorite. He played on Court 1 already and now gets Centre. Murray has already played there. All the big names play on Court 1 (except for Fed for whatver reason) at least once. Where was the outrage when they dogged Venus a couple of times by putting her on lesser courts. Everyone is just mad because it's Roddick. No one would make a sound if it was anyone else.

PimpMyGame
06-22-2011, 04:07 AM
If this is the Wimby committee trying to even out the big names on the two show courts then I kind of get it. Commercially, there may be a problem with court 1 sales if all the names play on Centre Court.

But I have an immediate problem with this. As I have Centre Court tickets for tomorrow, I took a lot of interest in yesterday's matches and the safe passing of Fed and Djoko into the 2nd round. I was praying that I would get to see both of them, but reality is that they will shunt one of the matches onto Court One. Bah!

And to add insult to injury, I see that Murray and Nadal are both second on, therefore the matches will clash. So if the same thing happens tomorrow, I stand no chance of seeing both the 2 and 3 seeds!

batz
06-22-2011, 04:19 AM
I think the ITF agreed with all the slams a couple of years ago that 'big names' would be spread over two showcourts. Murray played Hajek on court 1 last year, Rafa and Novak also played on court 1, as did Roger.

That said, I can't imagine the USTA ever putting Murray on Ashe ahead of Roddick, if there was potential advantage to be gained from playing on Ashe.

Bud
06-22-2011, 04:20 AM
If this is the Wimby committee trying to even out the big names on the two show courts then I kind of get it. Commercially, there may be a problem with court 1 sales if all the names play on Centre Court.

But I have an immediate problem with this. As I have Centre Court tickets for tomorrow, I took a lot of interest in yesterday's matches and the safe passing of Fed and Djoko into the 2nd round. I was praying that I would get to see both of them, but reality is that they will shunt one of the matches onto Court One. Bah!

And to add insult to injury, I see that Murray and Nadal are both second on, therefore the matches will clash. So if the same thing happens tomorrow, I stand no chance of seeing both the 2 and 3 seeds!

Currently raining so don't think there will be a conflict ;)

Rain is supposed to last for at least 3 hours (until 2-3pm local time)

PimpMyGame
06-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Currently raining so don't think there will be a conflict ;)

Rain is supposed to last for at least 3 hours (until 2-3pm local time)

I could pray for rain tomorrow, and hope that they schedule both top mens' games to Centre to avoid a backlog with the top seeds :twisted:

iriraz
06-22-2011, 06:14 AM
If they can`t play today on the outside courts it would be a disaster for the organisers.Not only would lots of R2 matches not be played but also there are a couple of R1 matches still to be finished.
So for example if it rains today then it would be impossible for Djokovic or Tsonga to play tomorrow regardless of weather as they don`t have an opponent yet.

mandy01
06-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Federer always plays on centre court at Wimbledon if I'm correct. Also at the Aus Open, Federer and Nadal and Hewitt always play on centre court, nothing else.Roger was put on Court 1 last year in his second round match I think.So maybe they're doing it for every player.

Mustard
The rain should clear up by 4pm according to the weather forecast on the BBC.

gold soundz
Roger was put on Court 1 last year in his second round I think.

Wow that is surprising.

iriraz
06-22-2011, 06:29 AM
None of the yet to be completed R1 matches are scheduled first on the court so if the weather will get better the organisers should change the OOP to get the R1 matches finished first.Getting into day 4 with R1 matches yet to be completed would be ridiculous

sarmpas
06-22-2011, 06:42 AM

It's called being fair to all players as much as possible.

Rhino
06-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Can we just get over this? During every freakin' Grand Slam for the last 5 years there is always a thread about Federer-Nadal-Djokovic-Murray not playing on the Centre Court. Shock, horror, Oh My God, the injustice, blah, blah blah.
Move on already, it's a common thing.

TMF
06-22-2011, 11:14 AM
If Roddick end up losing and Murray win, I'm sure the OP will take back everthing he said. If it's the other way around, more rant will come !

LuckyR
06-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Can we just get over this? During every freakin' Grand Slam for the last 5 years there is always a thread about Federer-Nadal-Djokovic-Murray not playing on the Centre Court. Shock, horror, Oh My God, the injustice, blah, blah blah.
Move on already, it's a common thing.

Sure it's common and only a fool would approach the issue from the shock and horror standpoint, but you have to admit from the UK perspective it is a bit odd.

MixieP
06-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Roddick is a venerable and beloved veteran. This may be his last appearance on Centre Court. Enjoy.

TMF
06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
In 2008 Wimbledon, Jankovic was ****ed off for having to play on court #18.

Q. What were the injections?
JELENA JANKOVIC: They were Voltaren and I don't know too much about all these medicines. But we took everything that was possible, you know, in order to recover. Especially I was really not happy with the scheduling. I asked, you know, to play a little bit later on in the day, which would give me a few more hours to recover and do another therapy in the morning.

When I saw that I'm on the schedule at 12:00 in the morning, and especially on Court 18, which was very unusual, you know, for a No. 2 seed to play on Court 18 is, for my opinion, not really normal.

But what can you do?

Q. Venus raised that point before, being a champion being on Court 2. What do you think about that?
JELENA JANKOVIC: Yes, I think, you know, the scheduling is really it was not made in a good way. It was not right. I think, you know, the champion, the defending champion, should always play on the top courts, because she won and she deserves to play there.

I also think No. 1, No. 2 seeds should always be on these top show courts. The ranking shows, you know, who deserves it, who has this ranking. Who is in the top of the game should play on the top courts.

I don't know what they are doing, you know, to put Venus on No. 2 and I'm on No. 18, especially having an injury and asking for a favor to play a little bit later on in the day. They didn't do it. So it was, you know, quite hard.

I was almost playing in the parking lot. I almost need a helicopter to go to my court.

Q. Did they explain to you why you were on Court 18?
JELENA JANKOVIC: It was, you know, unusual. It was a really, you know, strange answer. They told me Court 18 is, you know, TV court. And I said, But so are Centre Court and Court No. 1. This is not a reason to put me on Court 18.

But what can I do? I couldn't get frustrated over that. I think it's wrong, and hopefully it will not happen in the future in this way.

Q. Is it a man/woman, gender thing?
JELENA JANKOVIC: I don't know what they did. It's not my you know, it's not nice to look at the other players, why are they playing on certain courts. But I'm asking why is No. 2 seed, you know, playing on Court 18.

I don't want to, you know, look at other girls or men, why they're on Centre Court. It doesn't matter where they play. But it's also not normal that Venus plays on No. 2, and then Chakvetadze and Vaidisova, who are 18 seed and I don't know which seed, they are on Court No. 1. I think it makes really, you know, no sense.

But this is the way they did it. What can I do?

Q. Will you speak with them again about it?
JELENA JANKOVIC: No, I don't really want to fight over that. It's finished. I'm out of the tournament. Really no sense to go out there and lose my energy.

tacou
06-22-2011, 11:31 AM
OP you are underestimating the tradition of tennis in London. Sure, Murray is a tabloid sensation right ala Murray Mania, but he's never been to a Wimbledon final whereas Roddick has been to 3.

IN that regard Roddick has earned his spot more than Murray, but the real reason is that Nadal, Murray and Roddick are on the same half of the draw, so they can't all play on center court every day, and they certainly aren't going to put Roddick off center court for the first week.

TMF
06-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Roddick is also an older veteran, while Murray still has plenty of years left in him.

fps
06-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Respect for a 3-time finalist. Seems right to me that Murray has to play at least one match away from Centre, and it was hardly set to be a cracker was it?

10ACE
06-22-2011, 12:08 PM

This is the reason 100% Wimbledon beats their own drum- same reason the william sisters are ranked so high-

Passed finalist at Wimbledon always honored- I'm surprised it's not more obvious

TMF
06-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Nadal, Sharapova and Venus are scheduled to play on court #1 on day 5. Murray gets to play on center court.

murray fans should be happy now.

rhubarb
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Wow that is surprising.

Fed has almost always played one match on number one court, usually his second round match. It was the same with the other top players. I think more recently there has been a year (or perhaps two) where he only played on centre, but only since Alan Mills stepped down and Andrew Jarrett took over as referee.

MixieP
06-23-2011, 02:25 PM
For round 3 both Andys are on Centre Court while Rafa is on Court No 1?

Mainad
06-23-2011, 02:36 PM
For round 3 both Andys are on Centre Court while Rafa is on Court No 1?

Could be worse.Poor old Wozzie has to play on Court 2 tomorrow.Court TWO and she's the no.1 seed! I'll bet they'd never dare ask Rafa or Fed to play on Court 2!!

TMF
06-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Could be worse.Poor old Wozzie has to play on Court 2 tomorrow.Court TWO and she's the no.1 seed! I'll bet they'd never dare ask Rafa or Fed to play on Court 2!!

Men has the priority over the women. What i don't understand is if Caro is in #2, but not Serena/Venus instead when they are ranked much lower.

Mainad
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Men has the priority over the women. What i don't understand is if Caro is in #2, but not Serena/Venus instead when they are ranked much lower.

Actually Serena complained today about having to play on Court 2. In her post-match interview she said that she and Venus were often made to play there and it puzzled her because she and Venus had won more Wimbledon titles between them than any other player.She too made the point that none of the top men were ever made to play there!

TMF
06-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Actually Serena complained today about having to play on Court 2. In her post-match interview she said that she and Venus were often made to play there and it puzzled her because she and Venus had won more Wimbledon titles between them than any other player.She too made the point that none of the top men were ever made to play there!

My appology...I thought Serena was in Court #1. Although Caro should have more priority over the WS.