PDA

View Full Version : Who between Dimitrov and Tomic has the best future?

rayoflight110
06-22-2011, 06:13 AM
In your opinion?

CocaCola
06-22-2011, 07:13 AM
None of the two has great future but I hope Dimitrov will have a better one.

sarmpas
06-22-2011, 08:01 AM
Isn't it time we called time on the Grigor hype? I've seen him play a few matches and didn't see anything special and he hasn't made any big moves in the top 100 despite at least a couple of years in the 'hype' spotlight.

Rios is considered over rated however he at least attained a high ranking and actually won some of the biggest events after the slams beating some pretty good players in his career.

I haven't seen Tomic play so I can't comment on him.

Bryan Swartz
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Grigor wasn't in the Top 100 prior to about the beginning of this year. He'll be, at worst, in the low 60s post-Wimbledon. So I think at least another year or so of watching is warranted.

PSNELKE
06-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Both wont come close to Top10.
A few weeks in Top20 at best for Grigor.
Tomic is a mug he wonŽt even crack the Top50.

Bud
06-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm going with Tomic

If he beats Andreev in the next round, he'll be ranked #125 (career high)

Grigor is 20
Tomic is 18

IMO, both Tomic and Harrison will be more successful than Dimitrov

fundrazer
06-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Both wont come close to Top10.
A few weeks in Top20 at best for Grigor.
Tomic is a mug he wonŽt even crack the Top50.

Verdasco's been there, Mardy Fish has been there...I think it's a bit too early to dismiss them from possibly reaching top 10

chrischris
06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Tomic. great court sense and getting wiser with his shot selection. Deceptive player.

Grigor may be 'nicer' to watch but i think he looks better than he may be.

Cesc Fabregas
06-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Dimitrov is a flashy maverick player, those types generally get overrated in terms of ability (Gasquet). I'll go with Tomic.

PSNELKE
06-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Verdasco's been there, Mardy Fish has been there...I think it's a bit too early to dismiss them from possibly reaching top 10

Very true the Top20 is full of clowns at the moment.
So much for the strong era argument. :lol:

The only non-clowns imo are JMDP, Fed, Ralph, Nolito, Murrya. The rest is totally toast and unpredictable.

The Tour is in a sad time when guys like Fish, Troiclown, Mayer, Monclown and Chela manage to be in the Top20/10 and the sadest thing is that Troiclown will most likely crack the Top10 soon, that says it all about the ATP Tour.

ben123
06-22-2011, 02:09 PM

The only non-clowns imo are JMDP, Fed, Ralph, Nolito, Murrya. The rest is totally toast and unpredictable.

The Tour is in a sad time when guys like Fish, Troiclown, Mayer, Monclown and Chela manage to be in the Top20/10 and the sadest thing is that Troiclown will most likely crack the Top10 soon, that says it all about the ATP Tour.

imo jmdp is so overrated ... hes not playing better than those "top 20 clowns" at all

sdont
06-22-2011, 02:33 PM
imo jmdp is so overrated ... hes not playing better than those "top 20 clowns" at all

Yep, that's why he won't ever win a slam.

Oh wait...

ben123
06-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Yep, that's why he won't ever win a slam.

Oh wait...

u mad bro?

that he won 1 single slam doesnt say anything. at the moment hes just not so good thats a fact. u cant say eh he won a grandslam hes the best

his performances till his comeback are ok but not better than the "top 20 clows"... hes not in his old grandslam winner form at all so stop throwing in this stupid argument.

accidental
06-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm going with Tomic

Grigor is 20
Tomic is 18

I agree with this.

I dont understand the Dimitrov hype, is it just because his game is 'pretty'? he doesnt seem to have any attributes which might take him beyond the hundred or so baseliners who are currently better than him.

Harrison and Tomic seem to have much better intangibles and always seem to rise to the big occasions.

accidental
06-22-2011, 03:13 PM
u mad bro?

that he won 1 single slam doesnt say anything. at the moment hes just not so good thats a fact. u cant say eh he won a grandslam hes the best

his performances till his comeback are ok but not better than the "top 20 clows"... hes not in his old grandslam winner form at all so stop throwing in this stupid argument.

he is not in his best form obviously, but even in his current form he is top 10 level.

SStrikerR
06-22-2011, 03:18 PM
He's not as good as he was but he's still in the comeback stages. And yes he is better than the clowns such as Verdasco.

I think Harrison will be the most successful, then Dimitrov, then Tomic.

meltphace 6
06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm going with "let's wait and see." What's with this obsession to predict 50:50 outcomes?

Tammo
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Don't forget Tomic almost took a set off Nadal in the AO.

AndyArodRoddick
06-22-2011, 03:54 PM
he is not in his best form obviously, but even in his current form he is top 10 level.

joking right? losing sets to rochus guys and top 10 level?? wtf...

so vs who in the top 10 is he playing better? fish is playing pretty well, should get to the 4th rd against berdych and then we will see

rod played veeery well vs hanescu today and so on..

he isnt top 10 level for sure at the moment, maybe in the hc season he will be, weŽll see..

zagor
06-22-2011, 03:57 PM
joking right? losing sets to rochus guys and top 10 level?? wtf...

so vs who in the top 10 is he playing better? fish is playing pretty well, should get to the 4th rd against berdych and then we will see

rod played veeery well vs hanescu today and so on..

he isnt top 10 level for sure at the moment, maybe in the hc season he will be, weŽll see..

He isn't top 10 on grass,how he fares at USO will tell us a lot more on how close he is to getting back to his 2009 form.

egn
06-22-2011, 04:11 PM

What this is sarcasm right? Roddick, Soderling, Berdych, Monfils, Tsonga, Fish etc. are not clowns. I'm calling sarcasm on this.

Tammo
06-22-2011, 04:13 PM
What this is sarcasm right? Roddick, Soderling, Berdych, Monfils, Tsonga, Fish etc. are not clowns. I'm calling sarcasm on this.

Monfils is a clown:)

wilkinru
06-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I agree with this.

I dont understand the Dimitrov hype, is it just because his game is 'pretty'? he doesnt seem to have any attributes which might take him beyond the hundred or so baseliners who are currently better than him.

Harrison and Tomic seem to have much better intangibles and always seem to rise to the big occasions.

Well Dimitrov is #62 in the world, so hmm...

Dimitrov might end up being another Tursunov or Lopez - top 20 maybe for a bit but around 30 for a while.

Still young, we'll see.

Ash_Smith
06-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Dimitrov. When Emilio Sanchez tells you he's going to be the real deal, it's worth listening to!

Cheers

vive le beau jeu !
06-23-2011, 08:59 AM
you mean he almost did what dimitrov already did 2 years ago ?...

Bud
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Tomic pushed Cilic to 5 sets a couple years ago at the AO

DjokovicForTheWin
06-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Easily Dimitrov. Tomic looks like a flash in the pan.

Bud
06-23-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm going with Tomic

Grigor is 20
Tomic is 18

Harrison just took set 1 (from Ferrer) after being down 6-4 in the TB :)

NamRanger
06-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Tomic pushed Cilic to 5 sets a couple years ago at the AO

Tomic has no real weapons. That's why he won't be a top flight player. Murray at least has his return game which keeps him in matches, not to mention his great backhand.

Tomic has 0. Nada. Nilch. Smart player, but not a single weapon in his arsenal.

fps
06-23-2011, 10:16 AM
It's very strange to see a player who plays so like Federer, who isn't Federer...

Dimitrov is athletic but he doesn't actually anticipate too well, and I'm not totally sold on his footwork. Still I'd expect him to go top 30 at least, he has some serious shots in his artillery and I like the look of his strokes, as if there's still quite a margin to improve. His serve could develop into a huge weapon, and he has a good temperament.

Tomic, I'm not sure about his temperament, or whether he has big enough shots to win matches easily, which you need if you're going to do well at grand slams. But he is really interesting to watch, tactically he's very intelligent.

Haven't seen Harrison.

Both Tomic and Dimitrov have a lot more to come, Dimitrov is young (not Young, that would be career suicide!) not every player is like Rafa and starts winning slams early. Federer, if you recall, got it all together at 21/22

Bud
06-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Tomic up a break on Andreev in set 5 for a place in the third round :)

Harrison lost in 5 in round 2
Dimitrov lost in 4 in round 2

Bud
06-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Tomic d. Andreev in 5-sets and into the round of 32 (3rd round) ;)

Now at a career high ranking of #125

Timbo's hopeless slice
06-24-2011, 11:04 PM
I love how ppl say Tomic has 'no weapon'

Hello? Forehand?? Touch? Super solid Backhand?

Never mind he is 2 years younger than Dimitrov and is currently ranked a full 200 places higher than he was at the same age...

dominikk1985
06-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I think tomic has more upside than dimitrov. He has more weapons and can do more things on the court. he is always good for an upset.

dimitrov on the other hand has a more mature game. he is developed more. he isn't beating better players but he isn't loosing to worse players either. that reflects in his ranking.

tomic on the other hand has always a chance for and upset but he can also loose to much worse players. his game is not very mature, he is basically a junkballer who occasionally crushes the ball really hard. he also seems to have the "idiot factor".

I believe that he will get farther in the end, but only if he matures mentally and strategically.

chrischris
06-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Tomic is a star in the making .. he played like a seasoned veteran with a purpose today to beat Sod.

Legend of Borg
06-25-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm still sticking with Dimitrov.

Don't care about today's result.

His game should fall together nicely soon.

He's getting better each time I watch him.

kishnabe
06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Tomic is a murray-lite, Dimitrov is a Federer-lite.....at least if they both mature up at the same time. We can see a what if Murray in prime vs Federer in prime!

Fedace
06-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Dimitrov of course. Tomic is a mental midget and a cry baby. He will be lucky if he will be lucky if he wins 1 major. even then i doubt it.

stronzzi70
06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Dimitrov for sure!

Jonny S&V
06-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Tomic up a break on Andreev in set 5 for a place in the third round :)

Harrison lost in 5 in round 2
Dimitrov lost in 4 in round 2

Tomic has gotten SLIGHTLY lucky, playing a guy who's a good player, but not on grass (Andreev), and a guy who was under the weather (Soderling). That being said, he never let-up in either match, and chose the right shot 99% of the time. Harrison, unfortunately, had to play the most mentally tough player on tour (outside of Nadal, and even there...) and Dimitrov had to play an in-form Tsonga, who is pretty good on the green stuff (as to weather it's grass or clay, who knows).

Tomic definitely has the more upside than the other two, but when you look at a majority of players today, many have just as much of an upside as Tomic, but many of them can't (or won't) utilize their "full' potential. If Tomic CAN utilize his "full" potential, than he CAN be the best of the three.

Harrison is the most complete of the three, IMO, but he's not that far ahead of Dimitrov in terms of being complete. He has the firepower, he has the tactics, he has the willingness to go for it when he needs to, but he also needs to control his temper more (see adolescent Federer). I love the fact that Harrison really goes for it on second-serves, it's a real weapon, and something that will serve him well in the future.

Dimitrov is one of those guys that has the perfect improvement curve, IMO. He's not making huge leaps and bounds in the rankings, but safe to say when the next ranking comes out, he'll either be improving or staying where he's at. He has a complete game as well, but his shot-selection is a bit lacking compared to the other two (too flashy at times). He does use the most variety of the three, and he's very court-saavy, so I'm actually picking him to be the best of the three, even tho he is older. Something tells me he has "it".

Kaz00
06-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Did Dimitrov really try a tweener in the 4th set tiebreak at like 8all?

syc23
06-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Wasn't long ago when Cilic was hyped up to the max after beating Murray at USO '09 and AO '10 SF. His career has regressed since.

West Coast Ace
06-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Tomic. great court sense and getting wiser with his shot selection. Deceptive player.

Grigor may be 'nicer' to watch but i think he looks better than he may be.Agree 100%. Tomic, for his age, plays very smart. When he gets in better shape and adds 10-15 mph to his serve, watch out. Dimitrov has tons of potential - but shouldn't he have a few big wins by now? From scanning the results he's only beaten TWO seeded players (Bags and Anderson). Tomic beat two, so far, at Wimbledon.

imo jmdp is so overrated ... hes not playing better than those "top 20 clowns" at allPlease tell us your 10 yr old cousin typed that while you weren't looking...

This debate parallels golf - talking heads fall in love with a new player's beautiful swing. But you don't get any points - or wins - for Style. Michelle Wie would win every week if that were the case.

Bud
06-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Did Dimitrov really try a tweener in the 4th set tiebreak at like 8all?

Yup, he sure did :)

Kaz00
06-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Yea saw it in a clip looked like he had enough time to throw up a defensive lob instead of going for GOAT status.