PDA

View Full Version : nadals better volleyer than federere says jogn mcenros

Rafa Garros
06-22-2011, 09:10 AM
bbcs wimbeldon pundit john mcenros says "nadals better volleyer than federere, period" live on tv few minutes ago.

TMF
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Nadal said he's not as good of a volley as Federer.

I don't have the volley of Roger, for sure (http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/news/articles/2011-06-19/201106191308494839064.html)

ViscaB
06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
McEnroe has a tendency to exaggerate as a commentator. The truth remains that Nadal has become one of the better volleyers.

TheRed
06-22-2011, 10:07 AM
And he is. Until Fed's recent work with Annacone, he was a terrible volleyer with good hands that allowed him to occasionally hit spectacular volleys. Fed had no idea what shots to come in on and positions himself very poorly. He consistently flubs difficult but not impossible volleys (more so on the forehand side). He tends to stand too tall hitting volleys.
Nadal, on the other hand, does what good volleyers do - put away easy volleys, come in behind strong approaches, cuts off the easy angles to force the opponent to hit the more difficult pass. Nadal has very good hands as well. What makes Nadal seem like a poorer volleyer is that he doesn't move like classic volleyers (he's just not the classic edberg mover) and his form isn't classic in the edberg mold.
I would venture to guess most of the younger guys here don't know much about volleying. Most amateurs don't. I grew up serve and volleying and cringe when I see Federer hit volleys. Volleying is about much more than hitting the volley. It's about positioning, hitting the right approach shots, how to come in behind a ball and choosing what how difficult a volley to hit. These are all areas Nadal is better than Fed at. Nadal almost never hits a better (more difficult) volley than he has to. Fed is better under annacone but still with lots of work to do.

ViscaB
06-22-2011, 10:15 AM
When he said Wimbledon was all about Federer he was a God and now he is an idiot......

Gimme a break.....you guys are so transparent.

I'm a Nadal fan:-?.

TMF
06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Before getting into further discussion, we should judge Fed’s skills base on the year when he was in his prime, not now. Today, some of his ability has been deteriorated(e.g. movement, ROS, defense).

Rafa Garros
06-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Before getting into further discussion, we should judge Fedís skills base on the year when he was in his prime, not now. Today, some of his ability has been deteriorated(e.g. movement, ROS, defense).

mcenroes was reefering to present days federere. federere being pasts prime is by products of his longer years on tour and old age - as is his trophys haul and you dont wants to dismis that.

El Diablo
06-22-2011, 11:04 AM
somewhat related to what TheRed points out, Fed on volley replays looks a bit casual to me lately, whereas Nadal's technique, while not classically graceful like an Edberg, seems more studied and careful when he volleys, a little more precise.

fundrazer
06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Didn't we just have a thread like this the other day. I think it got deleted probably due to **** flamewars. I'll say what I said in that thread though. Nadal is not the best volleyer in the game, certainly not better than Federer or guys like Llodra or even Gasquet. Too many times when I see Nadal at net I feel like he chooses to use the wrong type of volley for the situation. Most of the points he does win at net are due to pushing the opponent way off the court.

BeHappy
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Roger Federer beat Pete Sampras serving and volleying, and won the 2003 Wimbledon lawn tennis championships serving and volleying. He knows how to serve and volley.

FedererBestTennis
06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
bbcs wimbeldon pundit john mcenros says "nadals better volleyer than federere, period" live on tv few minutes ago.
Do you have any extra of what you are smoking?

Defcon
06-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Fed vs Sampras at Wimbledon? Fed S&V'd on every 1st and most 2nd serves, he's an exceptional volleyer.

I've never seen Nadal S&V (not that he needs to) but most of his volleys are hit at the end of a long rally off after a strong groudstroke, not an approach shot, and he prefers the drop volley.

Its not the same thing as volleying a strong passing shot at all.

asafi2
06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Has anyone noticed that Rafa only really volleys when the volleys are putaways??? How often have you seen him dig or lunge for a volley. The reason his percentage is high isn't because he is a great volleyer, it's because he is a smart volleyer.

TMCW140
06-22-2011, 12:18 PM
TO CLARIFY:
He actually said that at the moment, he would place Rafa as a better volleyer than Federer, due to his greater confidence. In this context, its not actually that radical a statement, more just an observation

FedererBestTennis
06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
(Federer never had correct volley technique at any stage in his career, he refuses to bend his knees regularly)
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/celebrity-pictures-homer-simpson-facepalm-copy.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlBCv-89wxs
0:28-Looks like he bends his knees just fine :roll:

And can you stop putting your text in parentheses? You're wasting bandwidth. :p

chrischris
06-22-2011, 12:21 PM
McEnroe has a tendency to exaggerate as a commentator. The truth remains that Nadal has become one of the better volleyers.

And thats an understatement. Mac wants attention. Simple as that.
Outside of that , i really like the guy.

sdont
06-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Possible. I don't know any of these guys.

jackson vile
06-22-2011, 12:43 PM
(McEnroe predicted Federer would win this Wimbledon)

Oh, in that case then he is right about that, but wrong about everything else. LOL

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Who is jogn mcenros?? Is he any good?

junk
06-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Just before Wimby 2011 Pat Cash said that Federer used to be a better volleyer when he was younger. I tend to agree with that - watching him younger, especially the 2001 match against Pistol Pete, makes me realize that his volleys were better back then

jackson vile
06-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Just before Wimby 2011 Pat Cash said that Federer used to be a better volleyer when he was younger. I tend to agree with that - watching him younger, especially the 2001 match against Pistol Pete, makes me realize that his volleys were better back then

Are there any other matches besides that one?

Pwned
06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
"Fedaroar hyts the spinniest yet flattest yet crispest yet framedest vollies of any1." - TheNatural

junk
06-22-2011, 02:04 PM

just watched the highlights of that one on youtube

cc0509
06-22-2011, 02:08 PM
(Federer never had correct volley technique at any stage in his career, he refuses to bend his knees regularly)

WTH are you talking about? Have you ever watched Fed's earlier matches--i.e. Federer/Sampras 2001 Wimbledon? Federer was a very good volleyer.

Pwned
06-22-2011, 02:13 PM

http://www.bloggang.com/data/c/calanda/picture/1275012291.jpg

Sid_Vicious
06-22-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=oNCW9pICc3U
He was a much better volleyer back then. Saved 4 match points by serving and volleying.

Gorecki
06-22-2011, 02:18 PM
this thread is such a good read. especially now with all the bad posts removed.

drakulie
06-22-2011, 02:33 PM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd426/Dj_Y2k_Malone/george-eating-popcorn.gif?t=1303146544

TheNatural
06-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Fred should take volley lessons from Mcenroe, so he can become as good as Nadal one day.

SStrikerR
06-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Too many times when I see Nadal at net I feel like he chooses to use the wrong type of volley for the situation. Most of the points he does win at net are due to pushing the opponent way off the court.
If he wins the point, how was it the wrong choice?

hawk eye
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
All those people bringing up Fed's close win in 2001 againt Sampras time and time again.. it wasn't that hard to beat Sampras after 2000 at Wimby.
No big deal. Ask George Bastl. Every Swiss could have beaten him.
They did't even need great volleys. Fed's volleying was decent, as it is now. Certainly not great. He may have more of a classic style but resultwise, Nadal misses less putaways and makes more difficult ones. Faster hands, beter hand/eye coordination eyes, more touch. Though he's no Edberg either.

TheNatural
06-22-2011, 02:44 PM

His next 2 Wimbledon matches after that Sampras match.

flyinghippos101
06-22-2011, 02:46 PM

Again with this knee bend trash. You're obviously trolling now.

JustBob
06-22-2011, 02:58 PM
http://eatitforlunch.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/bearsuicide.jpg

Biscuitmcgriddleson
06-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Not even close. Did anyone see the Nadal Sweeting match today? It seems as though every volley he did was a drop volley. I can't recall a time that I have ever seen him drive a volley through the court.

Rock Strongo
06-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Who is jogn mcenros?? Is he any good?

It's amazing that you've never heard of him. His greatest rivals back in the day were Jimsy Cornoss and Bornj Bgor.

sonicare
06-22-2011, 04:45 PM
LOL @ the *****..

come back at me when rafa wins a wimbledon S + V all the way from round 1 to the final. LMAO...you people are pathetic.

tennis_pro
06-22-2011, 05:08 PM

Haha what? You wanna teach Roger some proper technique :D?

BrooklynNY
06-22-2011, 05:14 PM
I mean, Jeez, tennis is crazy.

I'm not even a Fed fan, I'm a Sampras Fan, then a Rafa fan, then a Fed Fan third, but to think Rafa volleys better than Federer because his stat sheet says he is 4/5 at net is ridiculous.

Rafa only hits drop volleys for the most part. You rarely see him hit a proper solid forehand volley.

Navratilova has stated that backhand volleys are easier, and most people who only hit drop volleys do so because they cannot hit proper solid volleys(not to say a drop volley isn't proper, I'm just trying to distinguish).

And for the Record, recalling something Federer did 10 years ago. IE Serve and Volleying and/or beating Sampras Serve and Volleying doesn't apply today.

Today he is out of practice at the net, and should have used his net game to dominate players when he was dominating the likes of Hewitt and Roddick, he chose not to use his net game as much as he probably should have, and now his volleys do look faulty and frail, but he still is better than Rafa at volleying, Rafa volleys balls on points which were already won from the baseline.

Towser83
06-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Has anyone noticed that Rafa only really volleys when the volleys are putaways??? How often have you seen him dig or lunge for a volley. The reason his percentage is high isn't because he is a great volleyer, it's because he is a smart volleyer.

I agree with this a lot. Federer is a more natural volleyer, but he really neglected this part of the game and has for a long time picked the wrong time to come in and fluffed many volleys.

Nadal tends to play it safer but picks his moments better. He knows what his capabilities are and he more often than not, picks the right shot. Federer often tries to play shots which will only come of 2 times out of 10 or decides to be agressive by coming in... at totally the wrong time. You can see when he's having a tough service game against Nadal, he all of a sudden decides to come into net and forces the issue badly.

When he won Olympic doubles, it actually improved his net game a lot. He should practice doubles again maybe.

FedExpress 333
06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Dude, just stop. You are such a ralphtroll.

Bobby Jr
06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
McEnroe always exaggerates.

He also once said "you can not be serious" to someone who was being completely serious.

He also said "you're the pits of the world" to the same person who was sitting on top of a raised chair.

And also "I'll let the racket do the talking" when asked about defending his Wimbledon title. Racquets can't talk.

tusharlovesrafa
06-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks J'mac Uncle....hawks Here Were Not Believing My Confession That Nadal Is Best Volleyer Today...lobe U Lods..

Sentinel
06-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi RITG, welcome back. I've missed you, actually many of us here have. Honestly.
Thanks J'mac Uncle....hawks Here Were Not Believing My Confession That Nadal Is Best Volleyer Today...lobe U Lods..
I think you've found your long lost brother, Rafa Garros (aka the legendary RITG)
It's amazing that you've never heard of him. His greatest rivals back in the day were Jimsy Cornoss and Bornj Bgor.
LOL
Not even close. Did anyone see the Nadal Sweeting match today? It seems as though every volley he did was a drop volley. I can't recall a time that I have ever seen him drive a volley through the court.
Is that you, Rickson ? No one missed you, btw. (Just going by your username)

Sentinel
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."

-- Randy K. Milholland (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Randy_K._Milholland)

Magnus
06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Nadal has great volleys. I wouldn't say he has the greatest touch around the net, but he can really play well there. Roger is far from perfect at the net. I would compare both like that:

FH volley: Roger has more reach and better instincts but also misses more than Nadal. However, Roger's placement on FH volleys is better than Rafa's.

BH volley: Nadal is more consistent here, he usually comes to the net on high balls but Roger misses the same easy balls way too often. Nadal wins this category.

FH overhead: Both are excellent, I would give the edge to Nadal on consistency, but to Roger on placement and depth. Its a tie.

BH overhead: Federer by a big margin, a routine shot for him.

half volleys: Federer wins this category easily, he has the best half vollyes I've ever seen, and he can hit it from anywhere in the court. That's what taking the ball so early gives you.

drop volleys: Both don't hit a lot of those but I think Nadal wins this one by a little bit.

Overall: For me Fed is just a bit better at the net but Nadal has better approach shots which allow him to play the net just as well (and sometimes better) as Fed.

Bobby Jr
06-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I'd agree with most of you post. The only bit I reckon needs to be added is that Federer comes in so much more as an intentional strategy so he is hitting volleys a lot more often when his opponents have a good swing at their shot. Nadal, by contrast, is there to finish short balls off at least 90% of the time, if not more.

Federer hits far, far better volleys than Nadal overall - forehand and backhand - but he is also a loose player who goes for *perfect* shots a lot more than Nadal so he has to also live with the higher error rate. Many people assume these errors are down to inherent technical shortcomings when they're often not (or they merely re-quote a commentator who was oversimplifying something). They're often a result of Federer's casualness or the fact that the difficulty rating of his average volley is higher than Nadal's. He plays like that because that's how he usually plays best: loose. It costs him points for sure, but it also wins him many times more.

TheRed
06-22-2011, 10:03 PM

I would disagree with this. Federer's volley technique is fantastic. He just gets a bit lazy and his focus wanes. I never said Fed's technique was bad. It's the other parts of volleying that he is not good at, including strategy and concentration. That said, these things are easily(relatively) fixable and this past French Open already shows it. Nadal is nowhere near Fed in his potential at the net (which includes movement, touch, variety) but up until lately, Nadal just did the fundamentals of volleying better.

Sid_Vicious
06-22-2011, 10:06 PM
Nadal has great volleys. I wouldn't say he has the greatest touch around the net, but he can really play well there. Roger is far from perfect at the net. I would compare both like that:

FH volley: Roger has more reach and better instincts but also misses more than Nadal. However, Roger's placement on FH volleys is better than Rafa's.

BH volley: Nadal is more consistent here, he usually comes to the net on high balls but Roger misses the same easy balls way too often. Nadal wins this category.

FH overhead: Both are excellent, I would give the edge to Nadal on consistency, but to Roger on placement and depth. Its a tie.

BH overhead: Federer by a big margin, a routine shot for him.

half volleys: Federer wins this category easily, he has the best half vollyes I've ever seen, and he can hit it from anywhere in the court. That's what taking the ball so early gives you.

drop volleys: Both don't hit a lot of those but I think Nadal wins this one by a little bit.

Overall: For me Fed is just a bit better at the net but Nadal has better approach shots which allow him to play the net just as well (and sometimes better) as Fed.

People have just forgotten how masterful Federer's tennis really was. He could pull out the most spectacular shots out of nowhere. Here is a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd8mPKMhFww&feature=player_detailpage#t=376s

tusharlovesrafa
06-22-2011, 10:07 PM
I think you've found your long lost brother, Rafa Garros (aka the legendary RITG)

WE both Together will rock this Site like no one has done..And DOminate this site like "WILLIAM BROTHERS",.....:twisted:

Timbo's hopeless slice
06-22-2011, 10:58 PM
http://www.bloggang.com/data/c/calanda/picture/1275012291.jpg

so where is the white spot on his wrist position?

oh...

:)

Timbo's hopeless slice
06-22-2011, 11:00 PM

so, you don't want his volleys to be actual winners, then?

I am so confused!

ViscaB
06-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Fed vs Sampras at Wimbledon? Fed S&V'd on every 1st and most 2nd serves, he's an exceptional volleyer.

I've never seen Nadal S&V (not that he needs to) but most of his volleys are hit at the end of a long rally off after a strong groudstroke, not an approach shot, and he prefers the drop volley.

Its not the same thing as volleying a strong passing shot at all.

Nadal gets most of his volleys after a heavy groundstroke, Fededer after his heavy serve;).

If Nadal had Federer's serve, serve and volley could be a winning strategy. With his pace he can be at the net so fast.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
06-22-2011, 11:49 PM
so, you don't want his volleys to be actual winners, then?

I am so confused!

I would just love to see him actually drive a ball through the court. It seems like he always does drop volleys even when a punch volley would be a better smarter play. Both types would be winners, but sometimes his drop volleys give a player the chance to make it to the ball and return the ball.

zagor
06-23-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm not even a Fed fan, I'm a Sampras Fan, then a Rafa fan, then a Fed Fan third, but to think Rafa volleys better than Federer because his stat sheet says he is 4/5 at net is ridiculous.

LOOOL! You're about as much as a Fed fan as I was a fan of Greg Rusedski. No need to BS in order to give your opinions on Fed(and his "overrated" and "overachieveing" career more weight, nothing wrong with being a Sampras fanboy,j ust be honest.

Rafa only hits drop volleys for the most part. You rarely see him hit a proper solid forehand volley.

Navratilova has stated that backhand volleys are easier, and most people who only hit drop volleys do so because they cannot hit proper solid volleys(not to say a drop volley isn't proper, I'm just trying to distinguish).

True,very few players today actually hit proper volleys, it's mostly swinging
volleys(a la Agassi)and drop volleys. There are exceptions though, in his 2008 AO run for example Jo was hitting "real" volleys.

And for the Record, recalling something Federer did 10 years ago. IE Serve and Volleying and/or beating Sampras Serve and Volleying doesn't apply today.

Yes his net skills have declined since then.

Today he is out of practice at the net, and should have used his net game to dominate players when he was dominating the likes of Hewitt and Roddick, he chose not to use his net game as much as he probably should have, and now his volleys do look faulty and frail, but he still is better than Rafa at volleying, Rafa volleys balls on points which were already won from the baseline.

I love how you say the "likes of Hewitt and Roddick" like those 2 are some journeymen and not slam winners and former #1s.

Your point still stands but keep in mind that every player is a product of it time, plus I think that at heart Fed is a baseliner(with all-court talent though), that would have always been his A game.

DeShaun
06-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Around the net I think Rafa definitely shows better touch than Federer. I think it must be because artsy Roger cramps up from information overload sometimes when deciding "Hmm, what to do with this short little volley that's just sort of sitting up, within three meters of the net, of the myriad ways for me to possibly hit... Roger definitely volleys better from he backcourt when pressed to react fast, in my opinion. He can be seen, for instance, casually replying to deeply hit groundstrokes by his opponent with a volley of his own which becomes a forcing shot to his opponent or even a winner, as if Roger's thinking, "Why isn't everyone else, too, trying this (ridiculous shot)? It works so well when you're caught out of positoin at the baseline" Yeah, Roger volleys better from the backcourt and drive volleys better, but Rafa volleys better around the net due to his having added this dimension to his game in an effort to win more points sooner at lower cost to his body and prolong his wheels.

Magnus
06-23-2011, 03:04 AM
I'd agree with most of you post. The only bit I reckon needs to be added is that Federer comes in so much more as an intentional strategy so he is hitting volleys a lot more often when his opponents have a good swing at their shot. Nadal, by contrast, is there to finish short balls off at least 90% of the time, if not more.

Federer hits far, far better volleys than Nadal overall - forehand and backhand - but he is also a loose player who goes for *perfect* shots a lot more than Nadal so he has to also live with the higher error rate. Many people assume these errors are down to inherent technical shortcomings when they're often not (or they merely re-quote a commentator who was oversimplifying something). They're often a result of Federer's casualness or the fact that the difficulty rating of his average volley is higher than Nadal's. He plays like that because that's how he usually plays best: loose. It costs him points for sure, but it also wins him many times more.

Yeah but Federer does have those easy BH volley misses that I cannot understand. High ball, mid pace, perfect for a putaway, and he nets it.

I also didn't mention in my original post the Fed has by far the best (and probably only) drive volley on tour.

jackson vile
06-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah but Federer does have those easy BH volley misses that I cannot understand. High ball, mid pace, perfect for a putaway, and he nets it.

I also didn't mention in my original post the Fed has by far the best (and probably only) drive volley on tour.

Then who has the best "dive" volley on the tour?

Marius_Hancu
06-23-2011, 08:11 AM
And he is. Until Fed's recent work with Annacone, he was a terrible volleyer with good hands that allowed him to occasionally hit spectacular volleys. Fed had no idea what shots to come in on and positions himself very poorly. He consistently flubs difficult but not impossible volleys (more so on the forehand side). He tends to stand too tall hitting volleys.

Give me a break. He beat Sampras in 2001 by playing S-V on many opportunities, beat Guga and Safin in Hamburg on clay years ago by S-V.

He just let it rust.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
06-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Give me a break. He beat Sampras in 2001 by playing S-V on many opportunities, beat Guga and Safin in Hamburg on clay years ago by S-V.

He just let it rust.

And he won Wimbledon 2003 playing S&V

ssonosk
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Nadal gets most of his volleys after a heavy groundstroke, Fededer after his heavy serve;).

If Nadal had Federer's serve, serve and volley could be a winning strategy. With his pace he can be at the net so fast.
Dude if nadal could s & v like fed, and still play like he does i think he would be too good :s

Fedace
06-23-2011, 10:12 AM
I think Nadal has better spin on the volleys than Federer.

Biscuitmcgriddleson
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
I think Nadal has better spin on the volleys than Federer.

Pat McEnroe disagrees. He said in his book that no one puts as much on their volleys as Fed.

Fedace
06-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Pat McEnroe disagrees. He said in his book that no one puts as much on their volleys as Fed.

I meant, Nadal has more spin like junk or slice spin on the volleys more than Federer does. roger's volley is more Flat type of volley. Spin volleys are Better, i was told this by someone..

Cup8489
06-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I meant, Nadal has more spin like junk or slice spin on the volleys more than Federer does. roger's volley is more Flat type of volley. Spin volleys are Better, i was told this by someone..

Again.. Federer's volleys dont bounce much, he puts alot of backspin on them. watch when he hits them, he really drives into it.

And there's different volleys for a reason. Spinny volleys aren't really applicable in all situations... some you just gotta put away..

SoBad
06-23-2011, 05:10 PM

JM is the most intelligent and accomplished American tennis commentator. He also went to the net a lot as a player, so if he says Mr. Nadal is better than Fred, that's good enough for me.

Chopin
06-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Nadal, on the other hand, does what good volleyers do - put away easy volleys, come in behind strong approaches, cuts off the easy angles to force the opponent to hit the more difficult pass. Nadal has very good hands as well. What makes Nadal seem like a poorer volleyer is that he doesn't move like classic volleyers (he's just not the classic edberg mover) and his form isn't classic in the edberg mold.
I would venture to guess most of the younger guys here don't know much about volleying. Most amateurs don't. I grew up serve and volleying and cringe when I see Federer hit volleys. Volleying is about much more than hitting the volley. It's about positioning, hitting the right approach shots, how to come in behind a ball and choosing what how difficult a volley to hit. These are all areas Nadal is better than Fed at. Nadal almost never hits a better (more difficult) volley than he has to. Fed is better under annacone but still with lots of work to do.

That's ridiculous. Federer has always been a good, but not great volleyer. The guy is a gold-medalist in doubles, and beat Sampras at Wimbledon, serve and volleying, no less.

Not a single person who understands the game would describe him as a "terrible" volleyer at any point during his professional career. Watch Federer in the 2003 Wimbledon, where he served and volleyed his way to the title. Mac was full of praise for Federer's net play: "He closes so fast" (compares him to Sampras), "Finds the angle so easily--it's so natural for him", ect. ect.

P.S. I'm sure Federer volleys left-handed better than you do with your dominant hand.

aceX
06-23-2011, 05:45 PM
How does Nadal's volley stack up when compared with Tsonga's?

mcenroefan
06-23-2011, 06:21 PM
How does Nadal's volley stack up when compared with Tsonga's?

Tsonga is way underrated. He probably has a better drop volley than either Fed or NAdal. Those drop volleys he hit against Nadal at the AO in 2008 were sick.

I don't think either Fed or Nadal can be ranked with great volleyers of the past...alal Edberg who, in my opinion, was a better all-around volleyer than Mac.

Fed does have a pretty volley as did Mac.

aceX
06-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Federer for some reason cocks his wrist before every volley instead of just keeping it firm

Pwned
06-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Federer for some reason cocks his wrist before every volley instead of just keeping it firm

He lays his wrist back. Supposed to.

http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/Resources/volley2.gif

Chopin
06-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Tsonga is way underrated. He probably has a better drop volley than either Fed or NAdal. Those drop volleys he hit against Nadal at the AO in 2008 were sick.

I don't think either Fed or Nadal can be ranked with great volleyers of the past...alal Edberg who, in my opinion, was a better all-around volleyer than Mac.

Fed does have a pretty volley as did Mac.

Agreed on all counts. I always considered Edberg to be the best pure volleyer, followed closely by Mac. Federer and Nadal are good volleyers, but not on the same level with the top tier.

Sid_Vicious
06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
He lays his wrist back. Supposed to.

http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/Resources/volley2.gif

Both Mcenroe and Federer are wrong. I have learned textbook volley technique which is not as good as Mac/Federer (duh!), but the players at my club volley with perfect technique without laying back their wrists. Also, the racquet helps a lot. I use a Babolat Aeropro Drive GT leaded up to 15 oz. and my volleys are rock solid.

Pwned
06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Both Mcenroe and Federer are wrong. I have learned textbook volley technique which is not as good as Mac/Federer (duh!), but the players at my club all volley with perfect technique without laying back our wrists. Also, the racquet helps a lot. I use a Babolat Aeropro Drive GT leaded up to 15 oz. and my volleys are rock solid.

Can't argue with that!

TheRed
06-28-2011, 03:41 PM
That's ridiculous. Federer has always been a good, but not great volleyer. The guy is a gold-medalist in doubles, and beat Sampras at Wimbledon, serve and volleying, no less.

Not a single person who understands the game would describe him as a "terrible" volleyer at any point during his professional career. Watch Federer in the 2003 Wimbledon, where he served and volleyed his way to the title. Mac was full of praise for Federer's net play: "He closes so fast" (compares him to Sampras), "Finds the angle so easily--it's so natural for him", ect. ect.

P.S. I'm sure Federer volleys left-handed better than you do with your dominant hand.

I suppose "terrible" was a bad choice of words. However, 2003 was a long time ago. For years, he wasn't a very good volleyer no matter how fast he closes, natural he looks or how good he once was.
To be specific, in the last 5-7 years, his decisions on when and how to come in were often terrible.

P.S. I'm sure I'm a better lawyer left handed than Fed is with his dominant hand. This comment has as much relevance as your personal attack on my game.