PDA

View Full Version : Review of Volkl tour 10 mid v-engine

mark1
06-29-2005, 10:25 AM
As many of you may realize i am a new member on this site. I noticed that while there is alot of good information on this message board there is somewhat of a lack of good reviews of many popular racquets. I am not saying that this is a professional review but i figured that for anyone who was interested in this frame that my take on it would be helpful to aid their decision. Everyone feel free to add both your reviews and comments to this thread. That way we will have the most accurate description of the volkl.

Serve: I serve the ball great with this frame. Specifically my flat serve i am able to get alot of pop on the ball. I have always like playing with smaller head sizes and with this one i can find the sweetspot with ease and regularly make great contact. Spin serves also do well with this racquet specifically when it is strung with a good hybrid setup.

Return of Serve: Easy as anything to block the ball back with this racquet for me. Also on weak second serves i can take big cuts off the forehand side to attack the server and keep the ball in the court. Also the low power level and accuracy of this frame enables me to take big cuts to go hit over top of a kick serve and get the ball in with ease.

Groundstrokes: Incredibly accurate off the ground with usable power when it is needed. I like to camp out behind the baseline against big hitters and just swing away with all kinds of different levels of spin from heavy top to flat forehands. This racquet allows me to hit out with these players and stay very accurate with a low amount of errors. Good access to spin and feels very whippy and flexible which i love. Allows for better spin and just feels better to me. Accuracy is incredible with this stick.

Volleys: I like volleying with this racquet but for me this is the frames weakness. This could be due to the fact that i am not a great volleyer but i found it somewhat difficult to hit biting volleys as well as good drop volleys with alot of backspin. However, the racquet does offer very good feel at net and someone with better volleying technique would likely not encounter the same issues as me.

Bottom Line: Best frame i ever used along with the old dunlop 200g revelation. Feels great from the baseline and while serving. Love the flexible feel of the frame and it just has that good old volkl feel to it. I used to play with the c10 pro 98in2 and this racquet is better than that one in every way imo. It has a bit less power but much more control and i like the 18/20 stringbed as it offers me more control on flat shots which i hit somewhat often off the forehand side when put on the run to hit a passing shot down the line. Great stick, would recommend it to any baseliner who likes a classic flexible, heavy and accurate racquet.

mark1
06-29-2005, 10:29 AM
btw i am a 4.0-4.5 baseliner. 5-10 155.

FeloniousMonk
06-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Great review Mark.

I've got some catching up to do with the newer volkl models. I put my brand loyalty on hold out of spite, when my much loved Quantum 10 Tour went out of production. I'm back in the Volkl camp and looking around again.

Thanks

ATXtennisaddict
06-29-2005, 12:00 PM
I love the mid Tour 10 V-engine so damned much! After demo-ing it,too bad I don't have funds to purchase one at the moment. :( But it's on the wanted list for sure!

mark1
06-29-2005, 12:13 PM
no problem guys, glad to help. btw ATX it is a great frame and i definately agree that it would be a great purchase.

TennsDog
06-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Can anyone compare the mid and mp versions? I really liked the mp version, but it had a little too much power. Does the mid play very similar to the mp but with less power and more control, especially on serves?

hank kingsley
06-29-2005, 05:22 PM
I recently switched to the mid from iPrestige mid. I also demoed the VE10mid+. Mid+ has more pop on serves and was easier to volley with but it played too light for me (even though the swingweight is more than the mid) and I flew too many off the ground. So yes, the mid has better control and less pop than the MP

I agree for the most part with the original review. I am still in an adjustment period after being a Head user for 7-8 years but overall I really like the VE mid. Great on backhand slice and generating topspin is also fine if you have the racquet head speed. I have the same feeling on volleys as Mark-you have to pay attention to technique when volleying-if you do it responds well. If you slack off it won't help you much. I recommend stringing it at or a little above the upper end of the range. Going to try a hybrid with poly in the mains next time. (5.0 all-courter, 2hbh)

Have fun. ;)

billyboybeacon
06-29-2005, 08:08 PM
intresting I found opposite to be true played w/v10 mid for about a month loved volleys and flat serve but did not like spin on serves or forehand found returning big serves tough..bought c10 off **** and love it bigger serve bigger sweetspot and love the flexy solid feel..4.0 all courter

AndrewD
06-29-2005, 09:28 PM
mark1,

there's actually been some quite extensive reviews done, on this site, of the Volkl t10 mid v-engine and the midplus as well as quite a number of other newer frames. However, as they were done when the racquets were released they might now be in the archives. Also, if you go to the TW main site you'll find a very detailed review of the same frame plus many others.
People often dont bother posting in-depth reviews here when TW has already done them.

If anyone is curious to find more Volkl reviews, just do a search or look for posts by NoBadMojo.

eggnog
06-29-2005, 09:50 PM
I switched from the Head LM Prestige MP to the Tour v-engine mid. I agree the serve is outstanding. I disagree on volleys which I thought were outstanding as well, both better than the Head LM Prestige MP and easier to swing as well. it's a keeper. In fact, I'm looking for second.

Mies
06-30-2005, 02:29 AM
I I disagree on volleys which I thought were outstanding as well, both better than the Head LM Prestige MP and easier to swing as well. it's a keeper.

That was also my experience.

I went with the T10MP Gen II though, because it has all the qualities I liked in the T10 VE mid with a bit more margin for the inevitable ball out of the sweetspot. Control on the Gen II is still great and it's still low powered ( I string it at max rec. tension), but on a slight mishit, the feeling is friendlier. I think that the T10 VE mid's 18x20 string pattern in a small head makes it feel a bit harsh when you hit it outside the sweetspot. Also, on the Gen II the powerdrop when hitting it outside the sweetspot is less so you still get a reasonably paced ball.

Both are great frames and I preferred both over the Yonex RDX 500 mid, the LM prestiges (both mid and mp) and the N6.1 95.

Regards,
Maurice