PDA

View Full Version : Why do they still hit the tweener?

Defcon
06-22-2011, 06:32 PM
90% of the time, pros have enough time to run around.
99% of the time, its a losing play. With disastrous consequences (Fed vs Safin AO)

Of course there are exceptions (Fed vs Djoker USO - GTOAT).

Take Hanescu vs Roddick in 3rd set today. He had enough time to go get some tea and sandwiches, and he still goes for the tweener :confused: It's a losing play yet they all do it. Its like some compulsion or sickness because they are pro's (or clowns like Mofees), they just have to try it.

tegg02
06-22-2011, 06:36 PM
what are you talking about????

Tammo
06-22-2011, 06:47 PM
what are you talking about????

He is talking about why do pros do it even though it is not necessary

Pwned
06-22-2011, 06:48 PM
They feel like it's a lost point anyway and decide to have some fun with it.

SStrikerR
06-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Because it's fun.

tacou
06-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I dont know Hanescu didn't smile during or afterward, he seemed like he was going for it for real. It does seem like a pretty poor tactic unless you're amazing or amazingly lucky.

SStrikerR
06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Well it depends. If you're down in a match and frustrated, any shot that doesn't work could frustrate you.

Xizel
06-22-2011, 07:20 PM
What's even more interesting is why some of Fed's tweeners didn't get outright returned when they were VERY returnable. After the classic tweener against Djo, I'm almost sure someone can tell it's coming and return it, but they still miss it.

ledwix
06-22-2011, 07:25 PM
What's even more interesting is why some of Fed's tweeners didn't get outright returned when they were VERY returnable. After the classic tweener against Djo, I'm almost sure someone can tell it's coming and return it, but they still miss it.

Maybe since the ball disappears behind the player until right when contact is made, it's hard to see the ball at first, so it's harder to react to it and return it? I think baseball pitchers who conceal the ball behind their body for a longer time during their windup are more effective. I don't know. Or maybe it's just the stupid awe factor.

Defcon
06-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Maybe since the ball disappears behind the player until right when contact is made, it's hard to see the ball at first, so it's harder to react to it and return it? I think baseball pitchers who conceal the ball behind their body for a longer time during their windup are more effective. I don't know. Or maybe it's just the stupid awe factor.

This is exactly what happened when Fed hit the tweener volley against Henman. Poor Tim was just too surprised.

Tammo
06-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Is there a video of this ?

Biscuitmcgriddleson
06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Is there a video of this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4uhqUNjBw

Here is the Federer-Heman tweener.

Xizel
06-22-2011, 08:05 PM

I swear the Isner volley return of the tweener was something a junior could do. It went right at him. It's not like it's going through the baseline corners. Oh well, Isner wanted to add to the legacy of Fed's highly successful tweener series instead of a failing one (ouch Roddick).