PDA

View Full Version : TW: A question about the Avery M5

AndrewD
06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Can any of the TW playtesters or staff draw a comparison between the Avery M5 Oversize and the currently available version of the Prince Graphite OS. I can see that the balance and swingweight of the Avery is very similar to the older versions of the POG OS but I'd like to know how the performance levels match up (power, control and spin).

Sorry to ask but I've had no luck getting answers on other parts of the message board or finding anything substantial in the archives.

whomad15
06-23-2011, 05:26 PM
I would imagine just from the specs, that the Avery would be slightly lighter to swing and more maneuverable, but also generate less power with an equivalent stroke compared to the POG OS.
10points VS 5points headlight
60 VS 63 stiffness
327 VS 333 swingweight

AndrewD
06-24-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks mate but I can and did draw those conclusions myself (although the TW power map does have a different opinion). What I'm looking for is input from people who have actually used the racquet and I'm hoping TW can help me with that.

Al1978
07-19-2011, 11:35 AM
I've played with both, the Avery M5 being my racquet of choice now. I don't think there's a significant difference in power or control between the two frames. The Avery is more comfortable due to the flex and more slightly maneuverable due to the balance, but the transition from the Prince to the Avery was seamless for me. You're going to get the same advantages (and disadvantages) from the 110 sq. in. head with both racquets. But technically the Avery should have slightly less innate power since it's more headlight and flexible.

auzzieizm
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I have owned both frames at one time as well, and I preferred the Avery in retrospect. Thinking back, I probably had similar results playing with both frames. Both have forgiving headsizes, can impart great spin, are stable in play, and provide great control. But the feel and balance made the difference for me. The M5 has a softer feel and flex, which I am more attracted to. The new POG's, while not uncomfortable, don't seem to have the same type of feel. You feel a little more vibration, and they are a little brassy. Also, the M5's balance was such that I could modify it closer to what I prefer spec-wise. The Prince being alot less headlight and just as heavy, was more tough to get to a spec that I prefer. But like I said, I think both can give you similar results when hitting. I just felt more comfortable with the Avery. Regardless, neither frame was ultimately kept :)