PDA

View Full Version : my RDX500 mid review

datsveryinterestin
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
I got my RDXs today. The swingweight is 20 less than my old racquet, and I was early on all my shots, causing me to hit bizarre very high loopy forehands. I didn't really like the rubber grip, and hopefully to add a little weight too, I switched them out for leather grips.
The feel is much better now, but the monsoon rains have come and I will have to wait to hit with them again to compare.
Wish I had a scale handy to weigh them now... with the leather grips and a little lead tape added.

I played with the SRD Tour 90 a long time ago, and I think Yonex did a good job of updating the frame. The solid feel is there and the frame design definitely reminded me of the "muted thuddy" feel of the SRD.
I was able to hit good placement serves, but I wasn't able to serve BOMBS down the T like I used to with the SRD. With the SRD, when practicing serves I could crush balls down the T and the ball would sometimes go through the back fence... so far I have only been able to get the serves to lightly stick in the fence. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet, although I think I just might need a bit more weight to crack them really well.

I was very impressed with accuracy on both forehands and backhands... they went right where I wanted them too. Topspin is good, almost too good, as I used to use 18x20 pattern and the 16x18 pattern really bites the ball. I will have to flatten out my shots a little bit more as I get used to it.

I had been playing with Prestiges and Ti-70s, which have a totally different feel, so it will take a while for me to get used to the RDX. I strung it with Gosen Micro 16 at 60lbs that gives great control, but I think I might use a softer hybrid next time, because right now it is pretty stiff and pingy.

Pretty nice racquet though.. a real blast from the past with no LM ridges or giant holes in the frame!!! Thanks Yonex!

timmyboy
06-30-2005, 02:24 AM
thank god. none of those scammy crap. plane good tennis. I got the racquet but i have to wait a week to play it with my cousin. but a question: where would you put your lead?

datsveryinterestin
06-30-2005, 09:17 AM
i put a strip on top of each of the silver IPS areas, adds only about 5grams but that plus the leather grip seems like enough for right now..
not sure of the exact weight yet, but it should be about 12.3oz/330sw
but might be more with the overgrip and dampener...

dookie
06-30-2005, 01:25 PM
I heard good stuff about the yonex rdx-500, my question is how is it compared to the older rd7. my situation is that im looking at buying a rdx-500 but im not sure what is equivalent to the rd7 which was my older raquet. So what do you guys think. Is there any other yonex racquets you guys can suggest

fist pump
06-30-2005, 01:30 PM
i dont like the stock grips as well - even with overgrips - they dont feel rigth .
but the racquet is great.

datsveryinterestin
06-30-2005, 01:59 PM
dookie, the RD7 is so classic old-school that if you are looking for the same thing it will be a long hard search. that just done make them that heavy and flexible anymore.

but if you are looking for a lighter, modern edition, the RDX is a good place to start. volkl might also have something nice and flexible to replace your RD7 too.

tecnifibre t-fight 325 maybe too...

yah, the stock RDX grip is crappy feeling even with overgrip.... blech! i switched to sweet sweet leather.

dookie
06-30-2005, 02:00 PM
thanks for the advice

AJK1
06-30-2005, 05:45 PM
I've got an RDX 500 HD midplus and 2 RD Ti 50's, they are sweet racquets and i think the original grips with Wilson Pro overgrips are a great combination. I like the ripples in the Yonex grips too. Cheers!

Flatspin
06-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Although I'm an avid i-Prestige mid advocate .... I've spent some time hitting with a RDX 500 mid strung at 60lbs with a premium multi ...... I loved it .... The best new mid to come along in awhile! Those ex PS 6.0 users will find it familiar. Big sweet spot for a mid .... buttery flex .... very comfortable. Very sweet!! Great control ....... just precise performance. At last ... someone got one right! Yonex deserves a kudos!

Safina
07-01-2005, 01:56 PM
rdx rdx rdx rdx rdx

rox !

datsveryinterestin
07-01-2005, 06:15 PM
my Gosen JC 16g strings (62/60lbs) loosened up a little and my RDX felt like a dream. dunno how much had to do with the leather grip and the lead tape since I unscientifically made all the changes at once, but the end result was pure sweetness!

hewitt would beat federer if he would just switch to the RDX!!! j/k

Redflea
07-01-2005, 10:38 PM
I don't think even that would do it, but maybe then he'd take him to four sets? :-)