PDA

View Full Version : RPM Full? Very afraid of tennis elbow

hewittmetfan
06-28-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi guys, just wondering whether i should use RPM Blast full. I am very cautious of tennis elbow. Currently I am using RPM at 55 and Technifibre NRGs at 57 on the crosses. I am a junior player 14 years old (turning 15 next week:) and ranked top 25 in the Eastern section) and I am very small (5"4 106 lbs). Im just considering going full RPM because I want a little more pop and spin on the ball because I use an eastern grip on the forehand. If anybody has any other suggestions for strings I would highly appreciate it as well. However I do not want tennis elbow for sure. That is the main goal, thanks.

NLBwell
06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Well, I don't know how sensitive you elbow is, so that is a big factor.
I use Lux Rough with AlphaGut cross as a hybrid and sometimes a full bed of Lux, but I get the Luxilon drop on the ball from the topspin in either case, so I don't notice a big diffference in spin. You will definitely lose some velocity on the ball by going to a full bed from NRG crossses. (I go to full bed when I want to reduce power.) The hybrid is a little more comfortable than a full bed.

TenFanLA
06-28-2011, 03:35 PM
If you go full bed RPM, drop your tension. Even 45 - 50 should be fine.

BigT
06-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Going full poly would not add much spin or any pop in your situation. I would wait until I were bigger and stronger first.

mikeler
06-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Go with a hybrid first.

fruitytennis1
06-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Im just considering going full RPM because I want a little more pop and spin on the ball because I use an eastern grip on the forehand. .

Putting in a full bed will reduce the power further.

Jonny S&V
06-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Putting in a full bed will reduce the power further.

But allow him to 'swing-out' more, which is what I think he's getting at...

kiteboard
06-28-2011, 08:35 PM
bhbr/nrg2, and thank me when you try it later.

Jaewonnie
06-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Picking up my prestige mid with full RPM at 58 tomorrow. Will let you know how arm friendly it seems when I test it out. (Coming from someone who used to use full polyon at 62 comfortably, idk how much of my feedback can relate to you...)

Babolat Magic18
06-29-2011, 01:15 AM
I've heard a lot of people saying to drop RPM's tension if you use it in a full bed? Why is this? Just to protect against arm problems or for performance related reasons?

rodrigoamaral
06-29-2011, 06:59 AM
try it as a hybrid first and see how your elbow reacts and go from there..

Giannis
06-29-2011, 07:28 AM
It seems like people are giving advice by reading only the thread's title. He is already using a hybrid.

TenFanLA
06-29-2011, 08:14 AM
I've heard a lot of people saying to drop RPM's tension if you use it in a full bed? Why is this? Just to protect against arm problems or for performance related reasons?

For both. You said you are afraid of getting TE so going lower tension will help avoid TE. Also a full bed RPM will be firmer than your current hybrid so you can drop the tension and still keep control.

TennisCJC
06-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi guys, just wondering whether i should use RPM Blast full. I am very cautious of tennis elbow. Currently I am using RPM at 55 and Technifibre NRGs at 57 on the crosses. I am a junior player 14 years old (turning 15 next week:) and ranked top 25 in the Eastern section) and I am very small (5"4 106 lbs). Im just considering going full RPM because I want a little more pop and spin on the ball because I use an eastern grip on the forehand. If anybody has any other suggestions for strings I would highly appreciate it as well. However I do not want tennis elbow for sure. That is the main goal, thanks.

You say you are going to full rpm blast because you want "more pop". But, going from a poly/multi hybrid to full poly will reduce power (pop) not increase it. ALL poly strings reduce power. All the power verbage on the poly packages is marketing hype. Poly strings give more spin, more directional control, and don't break as quickly. The pros get more power from poly (either hybrids or full poly stringbed) because they can swing faster and still control the ball. But, not because the string is more powerful. They can control faster swings with the additional poly spin. Nadal and Federer shape there power strokes with the extra poly spin. You can confirm what I've said by reviewing the TW string comparison tools or doing a little research on the internet. But, for power from most to least the ratings would be gut, multifiber, syn gut, and poly/co-poly.

If you want more pop and are concerned about arm safety, try dropping you poly main tension to 52 with nrg2 crosses at 54. There are many stringers saying polys play best between 40 and 52 lbs. I tend to agree with this and polys are certainly better for your arm at these tensions.

Another thing you can try is to put the multi in mains (nrg2 at 54lbs) with co-poly cross at 52 lbs. This will give more touch and feel, and be a little easier on the arm too. Federer uses this type of setup but he uses gut in the mains around 47 lbs, with poly crosses at 45 lbs. He may go up 2-4 lbs on each if he want more control.

I would say don't ever string you polys above 54 lbs and prefer you keep it around 52 lbs or less for arm safety. Even Nadal who swings like a mad man just strings around 54 lbs. There are many pros with fast swing speeds playing polys in the 45-50 lbs range.

mikeler
06-29-2011, 10:04 AM
It seems like people are giving advice by reading only the thread's title. He is already using a hybrid.

Oops.......

hewittmetfan
06-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Thank u guys im leaning towards going full rpm. Do you guys have any suggestions for the rpm's tension, a friend at camp today told me go 48:50 or something like that. Any suggestions?

Giannis
06-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Thank u guys im leaning towards going full rpm. Do you guys have any suggestions for the rpm's tension, a friend at camp today told me go 48:50 or something like that. Any suggestions?

What is your racket, what gauge will you be using and how hot it is where you play?

hewittmetfan
06-29-2011, 02:58 PM
What is your racket, what gauge will you be using and how hot it is where you play?

I use the head youtek radical mp, the gauge is 17 for rpm and nrgs are 17 if u were wondering, and it is just about 80-95 degrees. Im in New York.

Giannis
06-29-2011, 03:51 PM
I would go either 52/50 or 54/52 considering the temperature.

D-money
06-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I recently tried out RPM in a full bed going from a Hybrid of RPM and NRG-2 ( which for me wasn't as great as I thought it would be ) and I would say as long as your strokes are solid and there's nothing fundamentally wrong with them that tennis elbow shouldn't be a concern. In my experience with TE I had a case that left me unable to type for a period of time let alone play tennis. Since having my strokes dissected and corrected by a pro and changing my swing mechanics ( most importantly relaxing my wrist and not squeezing the racket so tight ) I am able to comfortably use even stiffer polys in a full bed. I used RPM 17g at 57lbs and could've have increased it a bit for more control. It is a very soft poly. I'm in Northern CA somewhat close to the coast 40% humidity average for the year. Hope that helps

got spin?
06-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Its fine for the first two weeks then you can feel the racket getting stiffer for some reason, its the RPM. This stuff needs some improvement done to it. Why do you think roddick went back to PHT? Babolat needs to go back to the drawing board this off season and create a String that rafa actually will use so they dont have to lie about it.

hewittmetfan
06-29-2011, 04:19 PM
And also does the tension affect the durability of the strings?

Viking_Golfer
06-30-2011, 07:45 AM
You need some power and you want to avoid TE :)

Stay away from poly mains - and concentrate on poly crosses hybrid with a softer more powerful main string like NRG2, X-One or Xcel Power.
You should also try VS gut 16 mains with alu rough crosses ( mains: 65 lbs crosses: 61 lbs )

If your strokes are fundamentally sound you could use poly mains with nrg2, x-one or xcel power cross with no problem ( mains: 61 lbs crosses: 65 lbs )

TennisCJC
06-30-2011, 10:36 AM
If you go full RPM, try mains at 52 & crosses at 50. For a touch more power, drop both 2 lbs. I would not go higher.

If you hybrid and primary are a baseliner with hard shots, try rpm mains at 52 with nrg2 crosses at 54.

If you hybrid and have more of an all court game (like to volley); try nrg2 mains at 54 with rpm crosses at 54.

I would drop all these tensions 2 lbs when you play in the winter.

Hybrids are generally easier on the arm. I also think they last a bit longer as the nrg2 will not go dead as fast as the poly. The poly will not break but it is usually dead after 10-15 hours.

Signum Pro Tornado is cheaper and better than RPM in my view. Tornado and all Signum Pro strings seem to last a little longer the RPM and Lux co-poly strings.