PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

jdunnie014159
06-28-2011, 04:01 PM
I hit last night with a setup of Black Code Mains at 58 and X-1 crosses at 62 in a Prestige Mid. I had 6 hours already on the string job; the balls were really flying. No crispness, no control, and more importantly, no fun--and this is an expensive string job. If I string and enjoy stringing, why should I not just get a reel of that good Isospeed poly and Gosen OG 17 and string each time I play? Are there any downsides to this?

BigT
06-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Look for something that plays just as good and costs less...
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=378558

jdunnie014159
06-28-2011, 04:25 PM
I've never hit with Pro's Pro strings, but I'm naturally wary of someone suggesting them as an alternative to Black Code when their signature is "Exclusive US Distributer of Pro's Pro strings". They could be very good though. Any free samples available Big T???? haha

BigT
06-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I understand what you mean, but you can do a few searches and find reviews and info that has been around much longer than my connection with Pro's Pro.

Up&comer
06-28-2011, 04:45 PM
This has been discussed many many many times. The pros pros strings will not play as well as the black code. Period. I can't comment on the playability of them, but they definitely won't be the same.

Obviously someone who has invested interest in the strings is going to say they are just as good. (he has his website where he distributes them on his profile.)

You might as well try the isospeed gosen hybrid. Who knows. You might actually like it.

Its cheap and looks just as good. Nothings stopping you.

in_ten_city
06-28-2011, 09:12 PM
I hit last night with a setup of Black Code Mains at 58 and X-1 crosses at 62 in a Prestige Mid. I had 6 hours already on the string job; the balls were really flying. No crispness, no control, and more importantly, no fun--and this is an expensive string job. If I string and enjoy stringing, why should I not just get a reel of that good Isospeed poly and Gosen OG 17 and string each time I play? Are there any downsides to this?
DO NOT CUT OUT YOUR STRINGS! I've played with your hybrid before. I've played with X-1 as full bed also. Your hybrid gets better the more you play with it. Trust me. At first it plays a little stiff, a little dead, but then one day you'll go out and it'll just liven up and get this awesome pocketing with great spin. Just give it a few more hours of hitting, it'll get there.

BigT
06-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Again, don't take my word for it.
http://www.stringforum.net/ratings.php?sdnr=3827&fstatus=0&count=1

Jonny S&V
06-28-2011, 09:48 PM
DO NOT CUT OUT YOUR STRINGS! I've played with your hybrid before. I've played with X-1 as full bed also. Your hybrid gets better the more you play with it. Trust me. At first it plays a little stiff, a little dead, but then one day you'll go out and it'll just liven up and get this awesome pocketing with great spin. Just give it a few more hours of hitting, it'll get there.

Umm, I doubt the OP is still in the breaking-in period. What he's describing is clear-cut signs of a dead string (and 6 hours is more-than-typical for the two clients I have that use BC).

That being said, Isospeed Baseline is no Black Code, but it's still a very good poly, and Gosen OG Micro is no X-1, but it's still a very good syn gut (not to mention is lasts quite a bit longer, durability and tension-maintenance-wise). For the price, especially if you string for yourself AND others, you really can't go wrong. You can try out every single tension and combo there is, and even if you still don't like it, you have a pretty good quality string to give to your clients.

NLBwell
06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Any poly will go dead and lose control after a certain number of hours. The X-1 is a powerful string that (IIRC) gets more powerful as it loses tension and frays. Therefore, the OP is getting a double whammy. Going with the syn-gut Gosen will help the situation as the Black Code or other poly goes dead, but whatever poly he uses will go dead in time.

pvaudio
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
The amount of Pro's Pro hyperbole BigT spreads around is doing a disservice to his own agenda. I've played both strings: Black Code and Blackout. Black Code is one of my all time least favorite strings. Blackout, as I've said numerous times on here, feels like a cheap copy of it. It has every single terrible attribute, except that each one is slightly worse. There is an ongoing controversy about these similarly shaped and gauged black poly strings, but having played many of them, let me just tell you that Black Code and Blackout may be of the same derivative, but they are not the same string. The same holds for Genesis Black Magic and Signum Pro Hyperion and numerous other examples. If you don't like Black Code, don't try anything trying to be it. It's already awful enough as it is.

DrpShot!
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Hybriding poly with X-1 in the crosses won't give you the "drop in before the baseline spin" that makes polys great. Poly in the crosses lets the mains move and create spin (check the TW page on spin potential), and you want some mains that are resilient (can snap back). Natgut is the best, but too $$, PU infused multis are good alternatives - NRG2, Quasi Gut and NXT. If you break a setup like that too often then just go full poly.

pvaudio
06-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Hybriding poly with X-1 in the crosses won't give you the "drop in before the baseline spin" that makes polys great. Poly in the crosses lets the mains move and create spin (check the TW page on spin potential), and you want some mains that are resilient (can snap back). Natgut is the best, but too $$, PU infused multis are good alternatives - NRG2, Quasi Gut and NXT. If you break a setup like that too often then just go full poly.
I really wish people would stop spreading this around as though it was proven. A TW University test suggested that this would yield the most spin, and yet in the real world, such a combination is a rarity even with heavy spin players.

DrpShot!
07-01-2011, 11:34 AM
I really wish people would stop spreading this around as though it was proven. A TW University test suggested that this would yield the most spin, and yet in the real world, such a combination is a rarity even with heavy spin players.

Gut mains and poly crosses opened up my prestige mps like nothing else i've ever hit with. In comparison a full bed of X-1 feels like stale ramen noodles. I got the idea to try it from two different guys I play against in a 4.5 singles league who's game were both markedly improved with those strings. I must live in some rarifed air pocket of gut/poly users.