PDA

View Full Version : Would Head Rip Control make a good cross with gut mains?

Hidious
06-29-2011, 06:28 PM
People are constantly looking for a good poly to cross with gut but what about Head Rip Control? It seems like it has two qualities players are often looking for with gut mains: low-powered and good tension maintenance. Durability is not an issue for me. What do you think? Yes or no?

TaihtDuhShaat
06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
NO!!!

Rip control goes dead so fast, like 2 hours of solid hitting, than it's worse for the arm than any fresh poly. Like horrible shock, with no stretch harsh and no control on the ball after 2 hours. I don't know how some people use this string. You get what you pay for.

Edit: Maybe rip control lasts longer with lighter racquets without much lead in the head. My racquet has a total of 32 grams of lead spread throughout the head which really eats strings fast. With this setup rip control loses all its control and spin after 2 hours, and I am left with an extremely uncomfortable, harsh stringbed with no resiliency that no longer bites the ball. The strings would feel slightly better than a dead poly at that point.

Hidious
06-29-2011, 06:42 PM
Oh really? Thanks mate, i was under the impression that Rip Control played well until breakage. Glad i asked.

TonyB
06-29-2011, 06:49 PM
No, RIP control would not be suitable for a hybrid. It would rob the gut of all its power and offer virtually nothing in return. RIP control is truly just a control string. No power, no spin, no feel, nothing. It's just a dead string. I guess it does what it promises (control), but nothing else.

RonSon
06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
I can't comment on rip in a hybrid with gut, but I can say I've been using this string in the mains with either mantis comfort or alpha gut 2k crosses and I'll still try other strings but for now this is working. I also had elbow problems previously and I don't now. I would suggest trying it. The rip is only six bucks. I will eventually try gut in my pog mid but for now I like what I have. Head rip is a control oriented string and it lasts me longer than most multi's that I have tried.

Fuji
06-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow, y'all have had some bad expierences with RIP Control! I love it, I think it has pretty good feel and excellent spin and control. Even a fair amount of power!

-Fuji

Vermillion
06-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Rip Control is only good for ripping apart.

fortun8son
06-29-2011, 10:45 PM
RipControl works as a main with a higher powered cross.
It's construction is unique. It is a braided ribbon, so it sorta falls under the multi category.
There is nothing else quite like it except the RipFeel(?) that's only in the Intellistring

scotus
06-30-2011, 12:39 AM
I have used Rip Control as a cross string for gut mains for a long time.

Rip Control tames the power of gut and provides additional control and spin.

It does not go dead. Nor is it worse for the arm than fresh poly. I stumbled upon this setup after playing the gut mains and isospeed professional setup for a long time. I found that this was just as arm-friendly and had better spin potential.

I have a sensitive arm due to TE suffered several years ago. But I highly recommend this setup. Play around with tension (don't go high on Rip Control as it is a low-powered string already) and you will have a very nice arm-friendly alternative to a gut/poly hybrid.

fortun8son
06-30-2011, 02:02 AM
Excellent point.
Interesting how this oddball string has hung in there over the years.
It has something the others don't.

Rusty669
06-30-2011, 03:26 AM
gut mains with rip control in the crosses works out a treat, if you string the gut a little tighter(say 26 kilos) and then drop off on the rip control(i. e. 24.5-25 kilos).
Nice soft string bed, and the characteristics of the gut really show...
I like it:-)Not sure if it beats ALU Power though

TheRed
06-30-2011, 08:01 AM
People are constantly looking for a good poly to cross with gut but what about Head Rip Control? It seems like it has two qualities players are often looking for with gut mains: low-powered and good tension maintenance. Durability is not an issue for me. What do you think? Yes or no?

I'm using gut mains and rip control crosses right now. I get the spin of gut, the softness of gut but just a bit less power, which is what I want. I used polys for awhile and they just wrecked my wrist. I guess I'm getting old.

I've used RIP control and strung for others with this string, on and off, for 7-8 years. I've played tennis for over 20 years and used numerous strings, mostly after I stopped playing competitively. Nothing plays like RIP control. Let me be clear here, if you use soft main strings (soft polys don't count), THERE IS NO BETTER CROSS STRING THAN RIP CONTROL if you want to maintain most of the qualities of the main string. I've used poly crosses with gut mains before - yes, you get good power, good control, good spin but, it feels nothing like a full gut job. RC in the crosses with gut mains also has good power, good control, good spin but, feels like gut. All RC really does to gut mains is tame the power and increase gut's durability.

The criticism in the first couple posts is completely wrong. RC is stiff within the first 30min to 1hr. Then it really softens up and maintains tension very well up until the hour or so before it breaks. It's well established on this forum that it's the best multifilament string for spin (unless u count kevlar as a multi). The only thing better is poly, kevlar and gut. The critique on feel is somewhat accurate - it's not great but feel is terribly subjective and I wouldn't trust anyone when they say a string feels "good" or "bad". Those words don't describe feel at all.

Here's the kicker - RC makes any soft main last 1.5 to 2 times longer. It simply does not cut into the main the way polys or even regular syn gut does.

TheRed
06-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I can't comment on rip in a hybrid with gut, but I can say I've been using this string in the mains with either mantis comfort or alpha gut 2k crosses and I'll still try other strings but for now this is working. I also had elbow problems previously and I don't now. I would suggest trying it. The rip is only six bucks. I will eventually try gut in my pog mid but for now I like what I have. Head rip is a control oriented string and it lasts me longer than most multi's that I have tried.

RonSon, try switching your hybrid around. You might get better feel and durability w/ mantis comfort in the mains and RC in the crosses.

mikeler
06-30-2011, 08:19 AM
RonSon, try switching your hybrid around. You might get better feel and durability w/ mantis comfort in the mains and RC in the crosses.

I've tried this setup both ways and MCS mains lasted 2 sets for me. It did offer better feel but definitely not better durability.

Say Chi Sin Lo
06-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Rip Control is a dead string...? Then that means the Earth must be flat too...

roperteacher
06-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I use the Rip control as a cross with Solinco TOurbite mains or Genesis Razor. Really keeps those mains from moving.

KickservKyle
06-30-2011, 12:51 PM
I enjoyed the short time I had it in my pog.
I know it's supposed to be durable but I am a string breaker. It lasted 3 hrs as a main and about 8 as a cross.
That said, I found it low powered and very comfortable.

NLBwell
06-30-2011, 01:26 PM
I hated Rip Control. However, I can see how people could like its properties combined with gut and certainly understand why someone would hate it. I guess the only way to know which way to go is to try it.

diredesire
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh really? Thanks mate, i was under the impression that Rip Control played well until breakage. Glad i asked.

Rip Control has a dramatic tension drop overnight. Rip Control/Intellistring/etc are all polyolefin ribbon construction, they are (still, AFAIK) manufactured by isospeed. Check out the original isospeed strings: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/ISOSPEED_Control_Classic_16_String/descpageACISO-ISOCC16.html

If you read the description, it is actually recommended to string these strings up 10% higher than your usual reference tension. This is to counterbalance the initial tension loss. After the initial TL, though, the tension is pretty darn stable for this string.

As far as a cross string, I'm not actually a fan of Rip Control, but some other people I know swear by it. I personally think it is a good candidate for a Gut cross, due to the characteristics of the string, but I've never liked the intellistyle strings that much. To each his/her own!

RipControl works as a main with a higher powered cross.
It's construction is unique. It is a braided ribbon, so it sorta falls under the multi category.
There is nothing else quite like it except the RipFeel(?) that's only in the Intellistring

(and isospeed ;))

Rip Control is a dead string...? Then that means the Earth must be flat too...

I guess it all depends on your perspective... From space, the earth looks pretty rounded, but from the ground...

JT_2eighty
06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
IMO, RIP is one of those "love" or "hate" strings. Some people despise it with all passion (see various posts above), and some have been using it for eons (see other various posts above).

Feel is subjective, so one person's "dead" is another's "dream". Not to mention most strings play differently across various racquets.

Rip Control tames the power of gut and provides additional control and spin.

It does not go dead. Nor is it worse for the arm than fresh poly.

I have a sensitive arm due to TE suffered several years ago. But I highly recommend this setup. Play around with tension (don't go high on Rip Control as it is a low-powered string already) and you will have a very nice arm-friendly alternative to a gut/poly hybrid.

+1 agreed.

My personal favorite is RIP Feel (intellitour cross) as a cross to gut. It maintains the comfort of full gut, while reducing the power & increasing overall durability.

I agree with all the points below as well:

Nothing plays like RIP control. Let me be clear here, if you use soft main strings (soft polys don't count), THERE IS NO BETTER CROSS STRING THAN RIP CONTROL if you want to maintain most of the qualities of the main string.

Here's the kicker - RC makes any soft main last 1.5 to 2 times longer. It simply does not cut into the main the way polys or even regular syn gut does.

The polyolefin ribbon tech (Ribbon Improved Performance, i.e. RIP), is second only to gut when it comes to arm-protecting softness in a string. This is my experience after testing many guts, multis, polys, kevlar, & syn gut setups. RIP strings are one of the only strings that combine softness with low-power, a combination that most other strings can only provide one or the other (as a main attribute). Typically comfort strings = power, and stiff strings = control; whereas RIP = controlled comfort.

mikeler
06-30-2011, 03:17 PM
^^^ Mantis Comfort Synthetic is much softer and also low powered.

RonSon
06-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I am a string shredder. I, like Mike, would set a record breaking mantis in the mains. I have never broken a cross string in my 35 years of tennis. Rip mains with alpha or mantis in the crosses just suits my game. The only string in the mains that has outlasted rip is isospeed energetic. But I like the rip/mantis combo. Thanks mike and kcraig.

mikeler
06-30-2011, 05:41 PM
^^^ Glad you are digging it still.

Hidious
07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Well thanks a lot for all the opinions, i guess i'll have to try it. I think will also buy some Isospeed Professional Classic, sounds like another good contender to cross with gut and i believe it was once called the Mojo rig on these boards. I tried it once and the feel was great but i didn't like the racquet it was strung on. Anybody tried these 2 hybrids and can compare?

scotus
07-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Well thanks a lot for all the opinions, i guess i'll have to try it. I think will also buy some Isospeed Professional Classic, sounds like another good contender to cross with gut and i believe it was once called the Mojo rig on these boards. I tried it once and the feel was great but i didn't like the racquet it was strung on. Anybody tried these 2 hybrids and can compare?

You will get more spin with Rip Control.

tes
07-02-2011, 03:54 AM
Last night I strung up my APDC with 17G "Global" gut black @56/ 17g 59lbs RIP control. I have a match today. I'll report on my impressions.