PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: Goodbye

Agent Orynge
04-25-2004, 07:34 PM
I guess now's as good a time as any to announce my departure from these boards. Make no mistake, I'm not looking for attention here; I only do this out of courtesy to those who might wonder what's become of me.

I've enlisted in the army, and I leave for basic on June 2nd. I may post again before I leave, I may post again after I come back, but until then I bid you all a fond farewell.

And please, oh please let's not turn this into an ideological argument.

precision response
04-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Brave mate, Brave. You off to Iraq after training?

God bless America & Australia.

@wright
04-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Good luck, Agent. It takes a special kind of person to risk his life for his country, obviously. Take care of yourself.

Phil
04-25-2004, 07:55 PM
AO - No ideological argument here...You made a solid contribution to this board, but, more importantly, you're going to make a contribution to our country. Best of luck to you. Take care of yourself.

Deuce
04-25-2004, 09:26 PM
I've quite enjoyed you (most of the time) on the boards.

I find it sad that you - or anyone - joins any army. The army's entire 'raison d'etre' is an ideology unto itself, is it not?

I still find your Holmes quote to entirely contradict the values of what you have just volunteered to do.

I am obviously unaware as to the role you will fill in this unfortunate endeavor. I can only hope that your participation does not result in even one more victim of any Nationality. What I mean is that I hope you neither kill, or are killed...

Frodo Baggins
04-25-2004, 09:52 PM
A.O:I'll miss you!!! even though your visit to these boards were short. Hope everything goes well for you :cry: :cry: I wish you luck on your journey :cry: your cool 8) I Salute you 8) -*Ivy Salutes Agent as he leaves :cry: 8) *Good luck :cry: Xoxoxo :(

Frodo Baggins
04-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Srry for that I got you an pusherman mixd up.N/M..

topspin
04-26-2004, 12:15 AM
AO, take good care man. Get back here one day and we'll talk tennis.

Camilio Pascual
04-26-2004, 03:43 AM
The best of luck to you, AO. Find something interesting to do during the long, boring periods. And believe in yourself. Take care.

Senator Jay Bullworth
04-26-2004, 08:21 AM
"and please, oh please do not turn this into an idiological argument"

How now pompous cow
Who came out to take a bow
To bite his tongue he found impossible
So he then waxed idiot-o-logical

His lofty tone was more than smarmy
He gave thumbs down to the army
I think A.O. deserves regards
So leave the sanctimony out the backyard

If there's a despot or a thug
Let 'em taste ol' A.O.'s slug
Give that carbine a firm hug
Fire at will, and pull their plug

Blow those despot freaks away
Kill, kill and win the day
Racist idiological creeps
With impunity they make mommy's weep

Now I lay me down to sleep
With a bag of peanuts at my feet
And if I die before I wake
I hope I die with a belly ache

Kick *** A.O.!!

@wright
04-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Pure poetry. The good senator is certainly a wordsmith!

chad shaver
04-26-2004, 10:31 AM
"wordsmith"--good term

Verbal_Kint
04-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks Agent. You had a lot of good contributions.

Marnix

Kirko
04-26-2004, 02:34 PM
GodSpeed !!!!!!

roundiesee
04-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Best of luck mate and take care!!

tennis-n-sc
04-27-2004, 08:35 AM
A/O,

Thanks for serving your country. Been there and done that at a time when everyone was not quite so understanding. At times when I am on the court or out to dinner or watching a movie, I will think of those of you who are on the line. Pass along to your band of brothers that you are all brave and noble and your efforts are appreciated, but seldom enough. Godspeed, bro.

Ace
04-27-2004, 10:04 AM
good luck

ProStaffTour90
04-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Amen

Good Luck A.O.

Kirko
04-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Bravo Senator !!!!!!!!!

johnathan smith
04-27-2004, 07:02 PM
I appreciate your self-less choice to uphold freedom. God Bless!
JS

magiset
04-27-2004, 07:43 PM
My link has vanished. So--

The following is a passage from Greg Mitchell's "Editorials Back Release of Soldier Coffin Photos":

The Daily Camera of Boulder, Colo., observed that "as the United States continues a war that is -- at this moment, at least -- being waged on the pretext of freedom, the government tries to censor images of flag-draped coffins. But the censorship has failed because it defies common sense and federal law. ... These images are what they are: a sad reflection of our president's war of choice. Yes, they are sobering. That is even more justification for their prompt and public release."

The Virginian-Pilot, which serves a military-dominated community in the Hampton Roads area, simply stated: "Americans deserve to see who is paying the ultimate price for this war."

Deuce
04-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Why was magiset's link deleted? Very simple question that deserves an answer.

Do those who run these boards disagree with a photo of coffins, which hold the lifeless bodies of young men killed in the midst of warring action? If so, why? If not, what was so offensive about the photo that it was deleted?

I fully understand Senator B.S.'s offering being removed, as that was a very personal - and very cowardly - attack against a poster. B.S.'s arrogant 'style' is unfortunately very familiar, and perhaps the chameleon should be reminded that impersonating a U.S. Senator is a Federal offence. But to remove a link to a photo of a reality of the army, while allowing the numerous pro-war, 'let's kill the enemy (whoever the TV tells us they are)', ignorant and infantile chest beating in some of the other posts in this thread reeks of an inappropriateness among the individual(s) responsible for the selected removal of the link.

tennis-n-sc
04-28-2004, 03:32 AM
I have come to the belief that a very small number of posters on here are: 1)not old enough to have a valid driver's permit; 2) spend an inordinate amount of time watching Katie and Matt, or; 3) a few bricks short of a full load.

chad shaver
04-28-2004, 07:09 AM
I just happen to agree with you.

Kevin T
04-28-2004, 07:33 AM
Umm....Deuce....maybe you should subscribe to "Roll Call". Senator Jay Bullworth is a fictional senator from the movie of the same name released a few years ago. As for the moderator, this is TW's board and they can delete/allow what they want, as well they should. It's their cat, we're just petting it. LOL, Tennis-n-SC. I wholeheartedly agree. There are too many people rich in theory and poor in experience. And back to the topic at hand:God bless, AO.

Bob Murray
04-28-2004, 08:16 AM
Deuce if people were shown the true horror of war support for it will decrease. It was only a matter of time before the two cadets showed up, some things never change.

AO you are far braver than I and all the chest beaters.

chad shaver
04-28-2004, 09:31 AM
"It was only a matter of time before the two cadets showed up, some things never change."

Uh, HUH? The two cadets?

Kevin T
04-28-2004, 09:34 AM
And the cadets are? Since when does appreciating military service, saying God bless and wishing someone good luck and a safe return (as the previous posters have done, not withstanding the good Senator's rhyme 8) ) constitute chest beating? AO is very brave and admirable for his self-sacrifice, no doubt about it, end of story.

chad shaver
04-28-2004, 09:41 AM
Kevin T,

Shoot me an email and tell me where in the Low Country, SC you live. I'm up near the NC line, but have probably been where you are.

Feņa14
04-28-2004, 09:48 AM
Good luck!

When you get back please don't hesitate to let us know of your safe return!

I know the effects of war first hand and hope to speak to you soon!

Liam

magiset
04-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Last two stanzas of "Fight" by Carl Sandburg:

"I was a killer.
Yes, I am a killer.

I come from from killing.
I go to more.
I drive red joy ahead of me from killing.
Red gluts and red hungers run in the smears and
juices of my inside bones:
The child cries for a suck mother and I cry for war."

Kevin T
04-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Magiset, I am glad you have become skilled with google and other search engines. What does this Sandburg poem mean to you? Do you know what it's about? Were you aware he served in the Spanish-American War? Could this poem draw on those experiences? Were you aware Sandburg was one of the earliest proponents of worker's rights in this country? How the majority of his work focuses on the common, faceless citizens, who behind the scenes, make this country work? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz....

"There was an old lady, who lived in a shoe
She had so many children, she didn't know what to do"

Mother Goose

magiset
04-28-2004, 01:08 PM
I’m sorry Kevin T. but I got my information here from a book. This one was Selected Poems, copyright 1992.

Yes, Kevin T., many people draw from their experiences, true. For example, Howard Zinn has many wonderful things to say about his experiences in WW2 and how it shaped his belief system.

Two of those faceless American’s you are talking about were Sacco and Vanzetti. Sandburg wrote many fine essays for their release and a very fine, unpublished during his lifetime, poem “Legal Midnight Hour” about their horrible and unjust executions in the United States.

If you wish to be infantile and play rhetorical twenty questions fine. How does a sum of a writer’s experience influence his writings, i.e. Carl Sandburg? Much research and careful thought should go into your reply this time. Good Luck.

Kevin T
04-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Congratulations on being familiar with Sandburg. At least you get one check mark. Infantile? Careful thought and research? How much "careful thought and research" went into the link you posted or the cut and paste of another man's words? How much "careful thought and research" went into defacing the sincere goodbye from a longtime poster who has decided to serve his country by joining the military? Did AO say he couldn't wait to join the Army to kill people or expand the MIC? No. He said goodbye and that he was joining the military. Then came the ideological argument. I served in the military, like so many other posters here and so many other people across the nation. I have also lost primary family members (including my namesake) to war, as so many others have. I have strong opinions on these matters and put much "careful thought and research" into my defense of others that selflessly serve. As I said before, experience will always trump theory. If you don't know, you have no idea.

magiset
04-28-2004, 03:41 PM
"I have also lost primary family members (including my namesake) to war, as so many others have."

True enough. So have we all, brother.

Kevin T
04-28-2004, 05:59 PM
God bless, Magiset, and Godspeed AO.

Radical Shot
04-28-2004, 06:28 PM
To all the people who responded with sentiments like "Godspeed", "God bless", "Amen" etc, I would like to ask this question...

What makes you think that God is on his side?
________
ft500 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_FT500)

chad shaver
04-28-2004, 06:52 PM
You're either trolling or you don't understand the meaning of the sentiment.

If you're trolling, take it elsewhere.

If you dont' understand the sentiment, I will explain. "God bless" and "God speed" are actually shortened from "May God bless" or "May God speed". It's a prayer for the safety of a fellow poster.

Radical Shot
04-28-2004, 06:59 PM
...got a bite...

...and I understand the sentiments. What I would like to know is why people think God is on his side. It's a simple question. Got an answer?
________
strawberry cough pictures (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough)

chad shaver
04-28-2004, 07:03 PM
No one said that God was on his side.

Keep baiting and trolling. It helps your image.

Radical Shot
04-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Chad, sorry you have a problem with my line of questioning. I'm seeking answers, that's all.

Isn't it implied though when people ask God to help him? Otherwise why bother making such a statement?
________
vaporizer pipe (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

chad shaver
04-28-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm sorry you let the chip on your shoulder override the chip in your head.

You mention in your profile that your interests include the Bible. Well, it states in the Bible that you should love your neighbor. It also states that man should hate the sin, but love the sinner. If the Bible states that we should be on the side of our fellow man, why would God himself NOT be on the side of all men.

And I am not saying that God approves of the war, so don't even try that. Jesus first prayed to God take the burden of crucifixion and death from him. Sounds like a reasonable request to me, but he knew that God would work His own will, not His son's. So why did Jesus even bother? Are we not allowed to ask for a little assistance, just like Jesus did?

Do you think God was not on Jesus' side? He let his son be brutally beaten, tortured, and nailed to a cross to die. Why would he do that? Why was He not on His son's side? He let it happen, so He obviously wanted His son to suffer incredible agony and die slowly. God must just be one mean, malevolent individual, right?

Again, we can make requests, but God will work His own will. Still, it never hurts to ask. Finally, just because God allows something to happen doesn't mean that he condones it.

Radical Shot
04-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks Chad.

"why would God himself NOT be on the side of all men. "

My point exactly. So who's prayers are going to be answered...ours, or theirs?
________
marijuana vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/)

chad shaver
04-28-2004, 08:04 PM
That's not my call. Like I said, though, it never hurts to ask.

Radical Shot
04-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Isaiah 1:15 will give you the answer.
________
oshawa metal (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Oshawa_Metal)

chad shaver
04-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Perhaps you should read into the New Testament....

Radical Shot
04-28-2004, 09:23 PM
:-)
________
volcano digital vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/volcano)

@wright
05-01-2004, 01:51 PM
God answers all prayers, but sometimes he answers them with a "no".