PDA

View Full Version : Recoil as a cross?

KickservKyle
06-30-2011, 12:02 PM
I've searched a lot in here on this string but nobody seems to mention using Recoil as a cross string. I know it's overpriced but on paper it has many desirable properties; low friction, low power, more comfort than poly.
It seems like an ideal choice to cross with gut mains. Has anyone tried that setup?

fluffy Beaver
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Horrible idea. I read one thread on the forum that raved gut or syn gut mixed with recoil. I decided to recommend it to customers and I tried it myself.

Big problem, it actually eats through the mains making the combo have almost no durability. However, mixing recoil with a poly works out pretty well.

scotus
06-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I have used it once as a cross with a gut main.

It wasn't too impressed. It certainly wasn't worth the price, and I much preferred Head Rip Control, which is about 70% cheaper?

bigmatt
06-30-2011, 12:25 PM
When testing Recoil, I found that, while the mains held in place quite well, the crosses moved a fair bit. So, using this in the crosses with gut would most likely let the Recoil surfacing chew into the gut very quickly.

scotus
06-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I should add that I didn't like it the first time around, but the next day it played much better.

KickservKyle
06-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Horrible idea. I read one thread on the forum that raved gut or syn gut mixed with recoil. I decided to recommend it to customers and I tried it myself.

Big problem, it actually eats through the mains making the combo have almost no durability. However, mixing recoil with a poly works out pretty well.

That's interesting considering it's so slick. You would think the opposite. Thanks for the warning.

pvaudio
06-30-2011, 02:08 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=357999&page=50

Posts 995 and 996 :)

jbTennissee
07-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I've been using Recoil mains with Silverstring crosses for 3 months. Very good feel with the nylon Recoil, plenty of spin, and the SS limits the power nicely. At least it seems that way! Great thing is that after a month of playing 3 to 4 times a week, strings are still in same position every time. No notching like I've seen with standard nylon (syn guts) in mains. So the mains get to move freely on impact, then go back to original position. This ought to help consistency, I think.

Prince Recoil 16 at 64 Lbs, WC Silverstring 1.20 at 56 Lbs, in BLX Pro Open.

mikeler
07-19-2011, 05:40 AM
Recoil is overpriced and not worth the money IMHO.

jbTennissee
07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Can you recommend any other syn gut (or other nylon string) that has low friction, even if not quite as low as recoil? The lack of notching and consistency of string position with recoil is pretty impressive.

Mig1NC
07-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Just looking at this page, the next most slick syn gut is Gamma TNT2 Rx 16

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/COFreporter.php

Which according to RSI has a siffness of 203, compared to 195 of recoil.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2011/01/3_string_selector_2011.html

Theoretically this should be a good cross string to try... In fact. I think I'll try that myself now that I think about it.

EDIT: also it comes in a 17g 1.23mm as well as 16g 1.36mm, where recoil is only a 16g 1.3mm.

jbTennissee
07-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Good call, TNT2 does show lowest friction for nylon, other than Recoil. I'll be ordering some today, certainly worth a try.

mikeler
07-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Good call, TNT2 does show lowest friction for nylon, other than Recoil. I'll be ordering some today, certainly worth a try.

Basing your string setups solely by ones that don't move is not the best idea IMHO.

Mig1NC
07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Basing your string setups solely by ones that don't move is not the best idea IMHO.

It's actually not about low movement. It's about low friction so the mains can move with the ball impact and snap back into position.

If it was about no movement, I'd just put in some string savers and be done with it.

Funny thing, I have a racquet that has had string savers in it for years (I use it as a loaner) and the strings still don't move.

alidisperanza
07-26-2011, 11:46 AM

Careful, TNT is notorious for losing tension quickly and going "mushy"

Recoil was meh-- pick a smooth poly with good tension retention and you won't have to worry about repositioning your strings/ friction until the poly is good and dead and not worth playing anymore.

DrpShot!
07-27-2011, 05:46 AM
TNT ticked me off. Nothing outstanding about the feel and terrible durability, snaps by the 2nd or 3rd set.

Mig1NC
07-27-2011, 08:07 AM
have you guys tried the TNT2 Rx version? Or just the other flavors?