PDA

View Full Version : Spin Potential Rating system... (sp)

perfmode
04-25-2004, 08:39 PM
I've come up with a little equation for spin potential. It doesn't take flex or swingweight into account but I think it's pretty good.

[Head Size / (mains*crosses)]*25

Here are my ratings for some common racquets according to that equation...
(Higher sp = greater spin potential)

POG(93) = 9.2sp
POG(107) = 8.8sp
LM Prestige Mid = 6.4sp
LM Prestige MP = 6.8sp
PS Tour 95 = 7.8sp
PS Tour 90 = 7.4sp
Bab PD = 8.2sp
Bab PD OS = 8.5sp

Coda
04-25-2004, 09:02 PM
sounds like a good idea, but you would have to include flex and swingweight somehow. Also the spacing between strings are different even if they do have the same 16X18, 16X19, etc pattern

anton785
04-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Looks okay, but I have one question...Why the multiplication by 25? Where did you get 25 from?

perfmode
04-25-2004, 09:43 PM
I multiplied it by 25 to get the result on a scale of 1-10.

Bora
04-26-2004, 12:01 PM
The idea is great but unfortunately, it is futile. As above mentioned, the flex and SW has lots to do with it.

Also, the head area as calculated by mfgs. varies from one brand to another.

Another problem is that not all strings are spaced identically across all racquets, again mentioned above. On some racquets, such as Volkls, they are actually spaced tighter in the middle and loser in the outers. They call this the PCP feature.

Also, define spin potential. Are you looking at the Arc of the ball or are you looking at the number of rpms during the flight?

Feņa14
04-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Flex needs to be included, as the i.prestige is very stiff and therefore doesn't create as much spin as a racket with the same string pattern.

Keep working at it!

Liam

perfmode
04-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Okay. I'm going to include Swing Weight and flex into it. I need to know a couple things. How do these affect the spin?

More Flex = More Spin?
Greater Swingweight = More Spin?

Which factor affects the spin more?

Hawaii 5.0
04-26-2004, 01:34 PM
These are nice #'s , but again like any rating it's just a start.I'm with other people in that flex and weight are teh 2 biggest factors that a racquet can have that produce spin(besides headspeed and angle of impact).The ratings also don't give into account spacing of strings, or beam width which can be important.The idea is great, but just like #'s only give you a glimpse into how a racquet actually plays, these #'s only give you arbitrary starting points to start demoing.Imo flex affects spin more than SW becuase SW is a matter of inertia.If I swing a racquet faster I get more spin, but if I swing a high SW racquet slower the spin will not necessarily be the same.High and low swing weight can be compensated for by the player and it can also limit swing speed, but flex is something that can't be changed and isn't arbitraty, but more static.

perfmode
04-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Over the next week I am going to try to incorperate every spec that affects spin and make some good looking numbers.

Coda
04-26-2004, 09:15 PM
maybe a math extra credit project? lol

ErwinFromParis
04-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Don't forget about the lenght of the body!!!
the more it's long the more Leverage is important...