PDA

View Full Version : Babolat rpm 17g on a Wilson 115 sq in Triad???

Ken Tannenbaum
06-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I've been playing Wilson 3.0 Triad's for a long time. Just hit with a Wilson BLX Tour strung with Babolat 17G RPM and saw a welcome difference in my lefty cross-court forehand. Is there a downside to using that string on my over-sized Triads?
Thanks!

pvaudio
06-30-2011, 02:06 PM
The Triad 3 is not the type of racquet bought by those who play polyester strings. Although there are always exceptions to the rules, i.e. Williams sisters of old, I will ask: what is your playing style?

Ken Tannenbaum
07-01-2011, 06:04 AM
My game has changed because I play much more than just a few years ago.
I've played 4.0 USTA leagues but more important, I hit hard (after the first set) and use pretty decent lefty topspin cross-court, slice backhand (too often). I've played the Triad 3.0 mostly because one was gifted to me a long time ago and I liked it. Then I bought another. I busted the strings on both rackets the same day and Last week demoed a few rackets plus borrowed a buddy's Wilson BLX Tour...that one felt terrific. It was strung with Babolat RPM which I loved and is why I asked about using it on my current Triads. Now I'm reading tons about the Babolat RPM string that it degrades real fast.
I play 3X/week at least and I'd be restringing too often if that's true.
We all know there are too many choices but I'm here to narrow it down if possible. I'm seriously considering buying the BLX Tour or the Voikl 10, one of the demos that felt right. I guess spending $400 is not my favorite thing to do right now. I'm a photographer, not a banker.
Thanks very much. Ken

MethodTennis
07-01-2011, 06:11 AM
in my opinion rmp will feel like **** not maytter what racket you use it with. just my two cents

MethodTennis
07-01-2011, 06:15 AM
General point to make though. Buy a single set and try it, if you don't like it, work out why you didnt like it and ask on here for a string that improves on this negative point about the previous string and do this until you find something you are comfortable with and buy a reel. Try different trys of string, shaped poly, unshaped poly, syn gut, multis, kevlar if you want. trial and error (dont get two obsessed though, remember that playing with the samething over and over and getting used to it will give you the best results on court)

ps i still hate rmp :P

Ken Tannenbaum
07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Great forum, thanks. One of the Triads I use HAD to be restrung since both rackets had broken strings last week. I restrung the one with an old reliable (for me) NXT Tour 16G. This afternoon I was looking at the other racket and saw how many grommets were cracked and pulled them. No doubt true of the other stick and may contribute to broken strings. Anyway, when I get the new grommets I'll install them and do as you suggest with the "new" racket, try a few strings. Having said what strings I've been using, NXT Tour 16G @ 55lbs AND wishing for a bit more baseline power, any thoughts on what to test?
I could just string 'em at #52 or #53 and check that out. Thanks again.

Up&comer
07-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Definitely if you are looking for more power than nxt, rpm is NOT the answer.

Rpm is a low powered, control oriented polyester. If you want more power, try stringing lower, if that doesn't work, weisscannon exposiv! is a good, powerful string.

Definitely start with a lower tension though.

Good luck!