PDA

View Full Version : different from set to reel?

yourname1245
06-30-2011, 10:23 PM
anyone ever feel a difference from alu power in a set then cut from a reel? assuming luxilon in general has some of the best quality control i dont see there being a difference. i played a set from a reel that my friend had and then a single set from a package...they played different. the reel had less life little to no power and control was not there. like playing night and day, maybe the string went bad but i thought alu was "impervious to atomospheric conditions"...any thoughts?

Lsmkenpo
06-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Was it strung on the same machine, and what kind of pulling mechanism electronic constant pull, lockout, dropweight? Alu is one of the polys that loses it dynamics if it is stretched out a little bit when strung.

Bas
06-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Every string is in another condition. The set proberbly was younger, or wasn't been in heat when the reel was.. etc..

Where it's made also matters..

scotus
07-01-2011, 02:40 AM
There are so many fake Luxilons being sold on e-bay from merchants in China that I wouldn't be surprised if the reel was fake.

yourname1245
07-01-2011, 06:42 AM
i mean i played a fake and it was similar but it made sounds when it moved. this did not....both strings were strung on my wise 2086 head, i never felt lux like this how could there be any other explanation?

MethodTennis
07-01-2011, 06:49 AM
anyone ever feel a difference from alu power in a set then cut from a reel? assuming luxilon in general has some of the best quality control i dont see there being a difference. i played a set from a reel that my friend had and then a single set from a package...they played different. the reel had less life little to no power and control was not there. like playing night and day, maybe the string went bad but i thought alu was "impervious to atomospheric conditions"...any thoughts?

A- its fake
B- tension differences/stringing differences
C- your mind is paying tricks
D- you played badly and are blaming it on the string
E- different conditions/opponent/spin and a million other variables

or a combination od A B C D and E

diredesire
07-01-2011, 11:12 AM
There's definitely batch to batch differences, at least in my experience. I strung (up until very recently) for a Div 1 university (both M/W). They had a few players using Lux BB Original. I had a few reels purchased from a legitimate source (the teams obviously aren't purchasing through ****, etc) that had a significant color/smoothness variation. I used to have a picture stored in my gmail, but I can't seem to find it now...

Anyways, when i strung it for the player, they immediately noticed something similar. We did an investigation and we eventually got a few new reels from Wilson directly (they're the distributors for lux in the US, now).

I'd check to see if there's any visible differences between sets (if you have the old string). The "suspicious" reels we had were much shinier, had a more translucent formula, and were more slick than the other BBO we've had. I'd say it looked like a cross between adrenaline and BBO.