PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of loose tenison!?!?!?!

joshj2112
07-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I have been wondering for a while the pros over a loose string tension over a tight one. I understand the regular sayings that tight tension gets more control and less power and vice versa. But is that really true. From what I have been reading it seems that in some peoples opinion looser tensions get the most spin. Is this true??

UWBTennis
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
I have been wondering for a while the pros over a loose string tension over a tight one. I understand the regular sayings that tight tension gets more control and less power and vice versa. But is that really true. From what I have been reading it seems that in some peoples opinion looser tensions get the most spin. Is this true??

They say that tight string tension replicates more of a board that blocks the ball back at a lower angle than loose tension, so less likely to send the ball out and therefore more control. Loose tension sends the ball higher and since the strings are allowed to move more, they can snapback more and that should mean more spin.

UWBTennis
07-01-2011, 09:30 PM
However, lab results seem to suggest that it depends on the string, look at the table in the below link.

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/stringmovement.php

Giannis
07-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Also, looser tension is always better and makes you work on your technique to keep the ball in. A lot of people, that try to hit hard and send the ball out, think that it is because of the strings tension and they increase it, while its mostly because of poor mechanics.