PDA

View Full Version : anyone string their racket by hand

Larrysümmers
07-02-2011, 08:41 AM
just a thought. im thinking about sometime when i am bored to string some racket up just by hand. i am guessing that it would feel like a net and not produce any power at all, sorta like a racket with a snapped main..

btw, i dont mean as an all the time deal, i mean just wanted to try it once to see what it was like, kinda thing.

goober
07-02-2011, 08:52 AM
That's how they did it in the old days before stringing machines. But what would be the point? Every cross and main would be tensioned differently and you would have a wildly inconsistent and probably very low tensioned racquet.

Larrysümmers
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
That's how they did it in the old days before stringing machines. But what would be the point? Every cross and main would be tensioned differently and you would have a wildly inconsistent and probably very low tensioned racquet.

eh something to do/try

Donny0627
07-02-2011, 10:51 AM
if you have a cheap walmart racket and flying clamps, you could tension each string by hanging like a 40 lb. weight from them. But you would need some cradle to hold onto the racket so tht you have enough hands to attach the weight and clamp the string...

NLBwell
07-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I did that in high school with one of my Dad's old wooden rackets. Was a pretty loose string job, but I could get the ball back over the net.

Larrysümmers
07-02-2011, 11:44 AM
if you have a cheap walmart racket and flying clamps, you could tension each string by hanging like a 40 lb. weight from them. But you would need some cradle to hold onto the racket so tht you have enough hands to attach the weight and clamp the string...

it would be held down by my stringer. no weight attached.

jswinf
07-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I did it a couple of times "back in the day" with wooden rackets. The procedure was to use awls to hold the tension and something like a "tensioning dowel"--often a cut-off racket handle, that you'd wind the string around and maybe roll against the frame as you pulled tension. So you'd shove an awl from the outside of the frame into the last "occupied" string hole to pin the string tightly in that hole, then threading through the next hole you used your "dowel/racket handle" to pull the string tight, then shove a second awl (or move the one you just tensioned against) into the hole you just tensioned, and so on.

It wasn't a terrible way way to string, but rather than think you're setting the mains at 52 pounds and the crosses at 53 1/2" it was more like you want it not too tight, fairly tight, or as tight as you could get it.

These days stringers blanch at the idea of getting an awl close to a string or damaging a grommet. If you wanted to try it as a "retro" sort of thing with cheap string and a racket you're not too worried about, get a couple of awls and a "dowel" and go for it. I wouldn't secure the frame in a stringer, better to be able to move it around, hold it between your knees, etc. I suppose you could mount it and use your machines clamps and just pull tension with that "dowel," but that doesn't sound like much fun.

jim e
07-02-2011, 09:17 PM
When I first started to string back in the 60's, the old timer that taught me to string back then when I bought my 1st machine from him, had another machine that only held a racquet secure. When I asked him about that thing, he said that was a manual way to string, as when he was younger that was what was available.
He used a large diameter dowel to wrap the string around, and would pull tension with that, and then after tensioning with that, he would stick an awl into the then wooden racquet hole to maintain tension, and continue on.
When I asked him what if someone wanted a specific tension, he told me he strung so many by hand that way since he was very young, that he could pull any tension asked for and be very accurate.
Your post brought back some old memories.
Anyways, I bought his old Serrano machine back then, and it started my stringing, that was back in 1968.

lwto
07-02-2011, 10:10 PM
You could term yourself as a "Artisan" Stringer. :)

drakulie
07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
There is one guy at the club I string at that specifically request for me to string his racquet by hand. I pull each string with a cam action plier until the slack in the string is gone and then clamp.

Larrysümmers
07-02-2011, 10:30 PM
There is one guy at the club I string at that specifically request for me to string his racquet by hand. I pull each string with a cam action plier until the slack in the string is gone and then clamp.

may i ask what string/racket?

drakulie
07-02-2011, 10:49 PM
may i ask what string/racket?

aero pro drive.

the string is always different,,,,,, typically a 15 year old synthetic of some kind that he has stashed away.

On a side note, I've hit with his frame, and as someone else stated, it has no power, and to add, is hard as heck to control. Personally, I think he is nUtZ.

goober
07-02-2011, 11:00 PM
aero pro drive.

the string is always different,,,,,, typically a 15 year old synthetic of some kind that he has stashed away.

On a side note, I've hit with his frame, and as someone else stated, it has no power, and to add, is hard as heck to control. Personally, I think he is nUtZ.

That's a hilarious story. A little surprised that he is using an APD though, I would have thought it would be something from the Jack Kramer era.

rudester
07-03-2011, 10:25 AM
When i was in high school I used to play under the lights with an older gentleman and his 2 sons, both of whom went on to become state champions, I remember them mentioning that their dad was stringing their rackets by hand using a coke bottle for tensioning.

danno123
07-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Never done it by myself, but check out the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7OEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA301&lpg=PA301&dq=using+awl+to+hold+tension+tennis&source=bl&ots=RRz_utYRSv&sig=5wUdRNDPMNtZBOxJY4YsEZmuDyE&hl=en&ei=8_SBTa3IC4PB0QHx4JzWCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=using%20awl%20to%20hold%20tension%20tennis&f=false