PDA

View Full Version : natural gut tension question?

jk175d
07-02-2011, 11:42 AM
thinking about trying some natural gut in the mains. Currently using Tour Bite in the mains at 51lbs and Gosen Micro Sheep crosses at 56lbs.

If I move the poly to the crosses and do the gut in the mains what is the appropriate/comprable tension for each? I guess one question would be what tension if I want the raqcuet to feel the same as it does now. But I guess if the gut allows for a different type of agressiveness, then the question is where is a good starting point based on my current set-up.

Never used gut and never put poly in the crosses of a hybrid before, so looking for the voice of experiment so I have a better shot at getting it right the first time.

6-2/6-4/6-0
07-02-2011, 06:43 PM
It depends on what Gut string you're using. There is a vast range of power in gut strings. VS 17 in the mains and I'd probably go up to 62lbs, but with a less powerful gut you don't need to bump it up quite that much maybe 4lbs. Also, with the poly crosses, you probably don't want to be more than 6 lbs or so off the tension of the mains.

In all likelihood, you will get close but need to adjust a bit over the next restring or two.

Just because I have to ask, if you want the racket to feel just like it does now, why are you changing your string setup so radically? Changing from poly mains to gut is a pretty big change...

jk175d
07-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Just because I have to ask, if you want the racket to feel just like it does now, why are you changing your string setup so radically? Changing from poly mains to gut is a pretty big change...

curiosity about natural gut. Never played it before. It's not that I want the racquet to feel exactly the same, I just need some sort of starting point for stringing up the gut. If the gut at X tension is = to poly at 50lbs than I'll be feeling the difference in gut vs poly rather than having the tension being a big change too, if you know what I mean.

So when poly is used in a cross like this, what exactly does it contribute? I currently use low tension poly in mains for the power and spin balanced with syn gut crosses a little higher to firm up the bed and provide softer balance and control. When the poly is moved to the crosses along with gut mains, does the poly still do the poly thing?

Steve Huff
07-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I'd go around 56 for the gut, 51 for the Tour Bite. A little depends on your racket too, as in the number of crosses and mains.

GlenK
07-03-2011, 03:38 AM
I think it depends on the racquet and string pattern too. I string my VS gut mains at 54 with poly x's at 52 in an 18x20. That plays perfectly for me..