PDA

View Full Version : Tension in a flexy racket

FedExpress 333
07-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I was thinking of trying natural gut and psgo in my head MG rad MP. It is pretty flexy, but I wanted to know, for that kind of flexy racket, what tension is best with nat gut and syn gut? Its reccomended tension range is 52-62. I tried wilson stamina with it first, at 59 pounds, but the racket feels dead and i dont feel anything, i cant stand it anymore....... does anyone now if i should have dropped the tension on that too? I want to be able to feel that ball. So basically, what tension gives me good feel and control, with power, in my racket with nat gut, and syngut, namely PSGo and Wilson Stamina? THXX!

Doubles
07-03-2011, 10:52 AM
I was thinking of trying natural gut and psgo in my head MG rad MP. It is pretty flexy, but I wanted to know, for that kind of flexy racket, what tension is best with nat gut and syn gut? Its reccomended tension range is 52-62. I tried wilson stamina with it first, at 59 pounds, but the racket feels dead and i dont feel anything, i cant stand it anymore....... does anyone now if i should have dropped the tension on that too? I want to be able to feel that ball. So basically, what tension gives me good feel and control, with power, in my racket with nat gut, and syngut, namely PSGo and Wilson Stamina? THXX!
When I use gut I string it up at around 62, but I like a tight feeling racket...

FedExpress 333
07-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I dont like tight feeling, I kinda like feeling the ball sink into the stringbead a BIT, but not mushy.

Power Player
07-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Damn that is a tough call..can you use full poly? I am just curious because Black Magic at 50#s provides that pocketing feeling you are probably looking for.

Larrysümmers
07-03-2011, 03:54 PM
TBH, gut is a whole 'nother animal. you getting a pack of natty and a pack of posg, right?
I would string one up around 60 ish and then go test it, then go from there on the next string job.
it sucks having to "waste" a gut string job, but that is the only way to really tell what you feel like is the best.

dozu
07-03-2011, 05:13 PM
considering that the MG Radical has similar flex rating as my old frame, the T10 mid... I was using gut/nylon at 56 and it worked great.

59 is too tight for Stamina, considering it has a copoly core....

bottom line, mid 50s for gut hybrid should do it.... my frame was 12.5 oz strung though.... if you use MG Rad in it's stock form, I'd drop it even lower, to 54 - 55 range.

Power Player
07-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Stamina works at 59..I used it at 62 and it was awesome. It's not nearly as stiff as a poly. It is a lot like POSG.

FedExpress 333
07-03-2011, 10:38 PM
@ Dozu: thx! wiill try 55 next time with posg and stamina.

@powerplayer: i actually used an old thread where you posted to try and find the right tension. However, stamina @ 59 feels stiff and dead. I like to FEEl the ball pocketing.

fortun8son
07-03-2011, 10:42 PM
The Radical is 18x20. You can afford to go lower.

WitheringDemise
07-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Been doing 50-52 lbs on Youtek Prestige Mid and never going back.

Power Player
07-04-2011, 02:25 PM
@ Dozu: thx! wiill try 55 next time with posg and stamina.

@powerplayer: i actually used an old thread where you posted to try and find the right tension. However, stamina @ 59 feels stiff and dead. I like to FEEl the ball pocketing.

Yep, I hear you on that. It is tough when the syn gut is too low because you lose control. So if you can do what Dozu says and it works, you are set.

If not, and you are open to full poly, Black Magic at 50#s is some of the best ball pocketing I have ever had.