PDA

View Full Version : Does this tweener racket exist?

sarmpas
06-30-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm too old for my PS 85 now so is their a tweener racquet with players racquet feel, soft flex and lots of power?

Any help is much appreciated.

cheers

Sam

antontd
06-30-2005, 04:18 PM
I say ProKennex Ionic Ki 5x Racquet (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPK-KI5X.html). Itís not exactly a tweener, but you will like it.

sarmpas
06-30-2005, 04:24 PM
I forgot to say the racquet must be tweener like in weight. I'm too old to swing a club for 3 sets now :(

kv581
06-30-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm too old for my PS 85 now so is their a tweener racquet with players racquet feel, soft flex and lots of power?

Any help is much appreciated.

cheers

Sam
AFAIK, there are 3 ways to increase power. Stiffness, larger racquet head, and weight/balance (higher=more power). You are basically taking away 2 of the variables here (stiffness and weight), so you probably would have to go to larger headsizes to capture some of that power. Unfortunately, coming from 85 sq in, are you going to be satisfied with a midplus or an oversize?

If you are willing to accept that, there are many nice choices I think. Head Radicals are not too stiff (but not too flexible either to rob you of the power). Any Volkls under 10 series may be worth a look as well. Volkl V1s are popular, too; they are soft, lighter, and provide good power. Head LM Instinct may be good too (though I've personally never played with it). It has many tweener attributes in the mold of PD and Surge, yet it offers flex and denser string pattern. These should get you started.

slice bh compliment
06-30-2005, 06:36 PM
I could be wrong here, but you need to try a Volkl Tour 10 V-engine midplus. Maybe it's not really a "tweener" -- who'm I kidding, I don't totally know what you're looking for. Anyway, it's got a nice big head (ninety-eight sq in), 20 mm cross section, great feel, tremendous power, very maneuverable, and it's got that arm-friendly grip system.
String it with some good multi-filament stuff like Volkl PowerFiber at 58/55. You will absolutely crush the ball and still control it.
Another one is the Fischer Pro 1 (ninety-eight sq in head).

Hope these fit your idea of tweeners. Just my opinion. Hope you get to demo them.

Oh, and the Babolat Pure Control MP with the 100 head is a good one, too.

Rory G
06-30-2005, 06:41 PM
How about a Vantage frame with 63 flex, 100" head, 16 X 19 string pattern, 11 oz. unstrung (about 11.7 strung with dampener/overgrip) and 9 pts. headlight. Great combo of power and flex. Worth a look.

NoBadMojo
06-30-2005, 06:54 PM
i agree w. you slice bh about the T10VE-MP. it's really an impact racquet but you can control it easily given good mechanics and early prep, dont know if the dude considers this a 'tweener' <it's not that easy to swing fast>? it's got a soft flex thanks to the graphite/fiberglass, but some serious juice because of the engine. the Pro1 is much less of an impact racquet IMO but a really sweet bat too

netman
07-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Agree on the Pro Kennex 5 series. The 5g is a wonderful all-court frame. 11.5 oz may seem heavy but is a good transition weight if you are coming off a 12+ oz player's frame. Have not played the new Ki 5 but supposedly it is built in the same mold as the 5g.

Dunlop MaxPly McEnroe is another nice frame in the mid 11oz range. I'm using it now and really like it strung at 62 lbs with a multi. Have heard good things abouth the Head Ti Radicals, but have not played them.

If you try to drop too much frame weight you will get frustrated, over-swinging or too early on the ball. Start with 11.3 - 11.5 frame. After awhile wth it, you can go down another .5 oz. Gradual changes seem to work best.

Good luck
-k-

TennsDog
07-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Dunlop 300G with a soft string will be light and powerful.

Redflea
07-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I would not recommend the 300G...even w/a soft string my experience w/it is that it is too harsh overall...love the control it offers, but wasn't comfy for me...

TennsDog
07-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Its flex is only 64 -- the same as most player's rackets.

JoostT
07-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Dunlop 300G with a soft string will be light and powerful.
The 300G is light, but it is not powerfull, you really have to swing fast to get anything going. I actualy feel that a tour10 is more powerfull than a 300G

Joost

TennsDog
07-02-2005, 05:23 PM
It is more powerful than other actual player's frames. You can also get more racket head speed easier to generate pace and spin. Also, since the 300G isn't very powerful on its own, that is why I mentioned soft strings to give a little extra.

armand
07-31-2005, 11:58 AM
It seems like the 300g is the best all around racquet ever devised! Pros use it, oldies use it, kids use it etc. Is the new Mfil 300 or whatever as good?

galain
07-31-2005, 03:36 PM
See if you can find a Bab Pure Control Zylon. It has a nice soft feel to it although it's a fairly stiff frame, is about 98" and swings quite light. My old doubles partner played with this - it wasn't too bad and sounds like it would do the job you're after.

foucapol
07-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Volkl V1 is the tweener that provides player's feel and control with greater power.

FeloniousMonk
07-31-2005, 08:45 PM
You and I are in the same boat. I'm 43 and looking for a lighter racquet. Some pretty good suggestions allready. I've spent 4 nights demoing the Fischer Pro Impact FT. Does not get much mention around these parts, but a really nice, user friendly frame. 102, 11 ounces, 16x19, 27.4 inch.

From your current racquet, almost anything else will be more user friendly. You've got a pretty big shopping list. You could narrow your focus first by demoing 4 frames in the Wilson line first. Then play your favorite from the Wilson line against your favorite for another line, and so on. Knowing that you want something lighter is a big piece of the puzzle.

Good luck
Jack in Chicago