PDA

View Full Version : Black Magic vs Black5Edge

Djokolate
07-03-2011, 11:10 AM
My tennis shop now has Genesis Black Magic!! Just wondered which string you think is better, and if you could compare the two. Thanks!

Fedace
07-03-2011, 11:11 AM
what is balck edge and who makes it ?

tinyman
07-03-2011, 11:20 AM
what is balck edge and who makes it ?

Black5Edge, made by Weiss Cannon.

Power Player
07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I like them both to be honest. I lean towards Black Magic because it is almost half the price.

Djokolate
07-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Hmm. What about the pluses and minuses of them both?

Torres
07-03-2011, 11:37 AM
B5E has some very unusual characteristics - some very good and some not so good. Not what I expected at all.

You should also say what racquet you're playing with when you start these threads because some strings are potentially more suited to some racquets (and stringing patterns) more than others. Playing level and what string you're currently using (and why you want to change) would also be useful.

Djokolate
07-03-2011, 11:47 AM
B5E has some very unusual characteristics - some very good and some not so good. Not what I expected at all.

You should also say what racquet you're playing with when you start these threads because some strings are potentially more suited to some racquets (and stringing patterns) more than others. Playing level and what string you're currently using (and why you want to change) would also be useful.

Well I'm currently using the Pro Open BLX, but have enquired to test some racquets, and I am awaiting a message back from them saying that they have all the 3 racquets, which are the Pure Storm GT, Blade Team BLX and Ezone 100.

Power Player
07-03-2011, 11:49 AM
You need to try them both to be honest. They are both excellent and have great feel. The Black Magic lasted longer for me, but you may find them very similar. B5E is an awesome string as well..it really came down to price for me.

mikeler
07-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I think my experience with Black Magic may have been different had I tried a higher tension in the hybrid I used. It just seemed like I had no control with it. Probably the softest poly I've tried but that is not many. B5E just fits my game like a glove. It has everything I want for a poly in the mains.

pvaudio
07-03-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't really think the two are even similar in the slightest, so you're really going to have to try both. Black Magic is incredibly soft to the point of having little feel, while B5E is comfortable, but not pillowy and is far more responsive. However, when you cross Black Magic, you can make it play completely differently to your preferred taste with incredible softness, but crossing B5E doesn't change the playability much at all. Honestly, they're strings for different types of players, so I agree with Torres' statement: unless you know what type of player is giving their opinion, you can't really know if it relates to you.