PDA

View Full Version : Need help with poly

kchau
07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
so after experimenting around with strings, i strung one of my frames with kirschbaum super smash at 55 on a lockout, and absolutely love it. i get so much control and spin from it, that i didnt get before.

What I Love:
Mains: super smash spiky 1.20mm
crosses: super smash 1.20mm
55LB Lockout.

now this hurts my arm a tiny bit on big serves, and its preventing me from serving as big as i want to.

What i've been playing around with is bhbr 17 in the mains, and livewire in the crosses, i have these strung at 53 on a lockout.

for some reason it just doesnt feel as good to me, and my shots arent getting enough spin, and a lot are going long. I feel that with the super smash im getting a good rip on the ball, but with the big hitter hybrid im just not getting that same amount of control and spin i feel.

Now my questions is, Can i get the same amount of spin from BHBR17/Livewire or a full bed of BHBR 17 as my super smash, while saving my arm? Is it just a matter of tension? or is it the hybrid that is making it too soft?

What are my options? I want the spin and control as close to the super smash set up as much as possible, without destroying my arm.

this is on k61 95's 16x18

BigT
07-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I would try a softer poly, full.

kchau
07-03-2011, 01:19 PM
any specific recommendations?

would doing a full bed of bhbr17 get me what im looking for?

kchau
07-05-2011, 11:31 AM
still looking for tips. thanks

BigT
07-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I have gone full with PolyStar strings, and now Pro's Pro polys, and have not had any arm issues. Key is to not overplay them.

PBODY99
07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
I have gone full with PolyStar strings, and now Pro's Pro polys, and have not had any arm issues. Key is to not overplay them.

I want to ask for a clarification please. For me time in the frame,exclusive of hours used, matters. Is it hitting time or length of time in the frame before re-stringing you are warning about?

BigT
07-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Both factors must be considered. Each racquet, player, etc. is different. Rule of thumb for me, and one I try to guide customers with is:
2 weeks or 10 hours of hitting.
Keeping those limitations, I have avoided any arm issues.
In the past, when playtesting strings, I would go more than that to test the durability, but that is when pain crept up in my elbow and wrist. Now, if I feel the string is dead before 10 hours, then I cut it.
That is another reason why I like thinner polys: I break them, usually in the 5-8 hour point, before I have any doubt if they are dead or not.
With all my set-ups costing less than $5 a set, it still works out very well.