PDA

View Full Version : anyone try this gut?

jk175d
07-03-2011, 02:42 PM
from user naturalgutwholesale at the auction site? price is right, but how is the string? Anyone try?

jdunnie014159
07-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Yes. It's Global Natural Gut with black marker over the label. I use it every now and then as main strings. It seems very low powered to me as far as gut goes, but I've read more contradictory reviews on these boards when it comes to cheap gut than any other string. I usually cut it out after 4 hours because it feels dead, but it plays well for me 'til that point. There is definitely a difference between the black and the natural--the black has a coating, plays stiffer, has less power, and is easier to string. The natural color is a disaster to weave as crosses. This is all in my opinion of course. I've had it snap once stringing the mains on a drop weight at 56, but I've strung it at 60 on a lock out 9 or 10 times without a problem, mostly as a main string. I will say that I complained to the guy on E bay about it snapping and he promptly refunded me, obviously more concerned with his seller rating than the $10. That's what I know and I hope it helps.

pvaudio
07-03-2011, 07:47 PM
^^^He's completely right. When Global first came on the market, their strings were just ridiculously cheap. This guy bought an enormous amount, and is now reselling them as his own. So in the adverts it says "our supplier blah blah blah", he's actually talking about himself. Global in itself is pretty shoddy quality (to be honest, it's what you expect, and nothing more), and the stuff you're asking about is the same, but quite old. I think it plays like twine, personally.

jk175d
07-04-2011, 05:09 AM
Yes. It's Global Natural Gut with black marker over the label. I use it every now and then as main strings. It seems very low powered to me as far as gut goes, but I've read more contradictory reviews on these boards when it comes to cheap gut than any other string. I usually cut it out after 4 hours because it feels dead, but it plays well for me 'til that point. There is definitely a difference between the black and the natural--the black has a coating, plays stiffer, has less power, and is easier to string. The natural color is a disaster to weave as crosses. This is all in my opinion of course. I've had it snap once stringing the mains on a drop weight at 56, but I've strung it at 60 on a lock out 9 or 10 times without a problem, mostly as a main string. I will say that I complained to the guy on E bay about it snapping and he promptly refunded me, obviously more concerned with his seller rating than the $10. That's what I know and I hope it helps.

thanks for the info. I guess it's probably not the best option for trying out gut for the 1st time in that it sounds like it won't really be showing me the full monty, if you know what I mean.

tes
07-04-2011, 05:15 AM
from user naturalgutwholesale at the auction site? price is right, but how is the string? Anyone try?

The others two posters give a pretty fair assesment.

I have used both the black and natural as mains only.

I would say it is a good choice for the money for those that wan't a soft feel for their arm. I had a hellacious case of TE last year which is what prompted me to try it.

I have had one set snap as I was stringing it at 59lbs.

I actually like the black better as it plays a bit firmer.

If you try it, don't string it over 55-56 and be aware that it comes in 6.5 meter lengths which may be short for some rackets.

pvaudio
07-04-2011, 09:26 AM
thanks for the info. I guess it's probably not the best option for trying out gut for the 1st time in that it sounds like it won't really be showing me the full monty, if you know what I mean.Perfect sentiment. Your first time out, do it right. From there, you can try the cheaper variants to compare to the reference standard. Otherwise you'll compare Global to multifilaments priced similarly, and realize it doesn't really play that much better and is 100x harder to string.