PDA

View Full Version : update on year old strings

TheLambsheadrep
07-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I posted a while ago that I had two rackets that were strung just over a year ago but never used, so the strings were fresh but old. One was with a Red Code (crosses) and TNT (mains) hybrid, and the other full TNT.

When I hit with the hybrid recently it felt like a trampoline, very springy, I had to alter my swing because the ball was flying and i couldnt generate topspin correctly. But with the full TNT, it feels like it was strung last week, right about as crisp sounding/feeling as normal. So whats up with this, was the poly in the hybrid messing up the feel, did it cause it to lose more tension? And is the trampoline/springy feel considered "soft" when someone would define a string (compared to "stiff" or "firm")?

TheLambsheadrep
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
anyone, anything?

kchau
07-04-2011, 08:48 AM
poly isnt the greatest at holding tension.

Jonny S&V
07-04-2011, 09:05 AM
poly isnt the greatest at holding tension.

Half-correct. Poly actually has the best static-tension-maintenence out there (EG, when you're not using it, it won't stretch because of it's stiffness). I find it odd that you thought the hybrid was springy. Maybe you've grown to hate Red Code (like myself)?

TheLambsheadrep
07-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I have a full set of Red Code on another racket, and at first I didnt see anything special with it, but its broken in now and its growing on me. I just find it weird how there is such a huge difference in feel between the 2 year old strings and the only difference is the Red Code...

Tarrantennis
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
An unused racquet shouldn't lose so much tension. Maybe it was badly strung. If it feels like a trampoline maybe too low a tension when strung.

TheLambsheadrep
07-06-2011, 06:14 PM
but again, the other racket came out fine, so i dont know

acer4tennis
07-07-2011, 07:32 AM
I think some poly are holding tension much better then others. Look into WC,Signum Pro and Genesis products.