PDA

View Full Version : How long before Ashaway Kevlar 18 plays differently?

Tennis Is Magic
07-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm curious, I know kevlar loses tension faster than any other string, but a lot of posters here claim that doesn't change how it plays. Is that a hyperbole, or does it really play the same through the tension loss?

Up&comer
07-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Kevlar is so dang stiff that it really doesn't change playing characteristics throughout it's life.

Dominik
07-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I find it does get slightly mushier after a few hours but it still has nice bite and plays well.

Bent
07-04-2011, 10:47 PM
When I used it (hybrid with syn gut X's) it was like a board the first 1-2 hrs. (different rackets, different tensions).

After this, it was more comfy and spinny. Not very durable, though.

travlerajm
07-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Kevlar breaks in and softens up a lot during the first hour or two. Then it plateaus and plays consistently until it breaks. The key is to find a tension that you like after it has plateaued. because the break-in period is short.

I don't use 18g because it breaks much faster than 17g. I think Kevlar mains with poly crosses has amazing control, but since both poly and kevlar lose a lot of tension, I usually string it just as tightly as I would with other strings, then allow it to break in and soften up.

NLBwell
07-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't notice any difference in play from kevlar throughout it's life.

Toby14
07-06-2011, 01:40 AM
When I used it (hybrid with syn gut X's) it was like a board the first 1-2 hrs. (different rackets, different tensions).

After this, it was more comfy and spinny. Not very durable, though.

Sorry all - privat message to Bent in Danish

Hej Bent

Hyggeligt at møde dig på Pile Alle i går, jeg kunne godt tænke mig at snakke mere med dig, du kan kontakte mig på eskerod@get2net.dk

Venlige hilsner fra

Torben Eskerod

EZRA
07-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Kevlar breaks in after an hour or so of play. Then it slowly loses tension. When I say slowly, I mean that it goes dead (feel) after 2 weeks or so.
I use Forten Thin Blend and it usually breaks in about 3-5 days.. way before the strings starts to feel dull and dead.