PDA

View Full Version : PD standard vs. PD +

Kirko
06-30-2005, 08:57 PM
I have heard great and bad things about the PD + , but hardly anything about the PD standard. I demoed the standard today and was very impressed, alot easier to blast balls from the baseline. Anyone here prefer the standard and why. Thanks in advance.

AndrewD
06-30-2005, 11:33 PM
Kirko,

well, firstly Im not a big fan of extended length racquets. I found the PD+ to be quite comfortable at the net (surprising), not bad on serve (the Woofer system took a while to get used to) but shocking on groundstrokes. I spent the entire hitting session (should call it a mishitting session) smacking balls off the frame. When I did connect I found too much power for my swing speed and, combined with the extra length, I just couldnt generate enough topspin to keep the ball in the court.

The PD standard, on the other hand, I found to be an excellent all-around frame. Quite solid, despite the lower weight, very controllable (better match of swingweight, length and my swing speed) and good power and extremely comfortable for a racquet of that stiffness. It reminded me a little bit of some early wide body racquets like the Dunlop Revelation and Wilson Profile in that it feels very solid on all shots. Obviously quite a bit lighter but still a good solid feel on impact. Touch shots were more than adequate for a stiff, wider body racquet. I had very little trouble hitting drop-shots, dinks, chips and angled shots although that isn't the forte of the PD. It's a very straight ahead kind of racquet and for someone playing serve-volley tennis on medium to fast hard courts it would be ideal. Those little touch shots aren't percentage tennis so, that the racquet doesn't excel in those areas I dont consider to be a negative. I had excellent control of half-volleys, overheads (fore and backhand), stab volleys and lob volleys. Can't ask for much more than that. So, if you're not playing serve-volley or doubles on grass or dirt courts then Id suggest that the lower feedback on the finesse shots isn't a major factor.

Once again, the Woofer system takes a bit of getting used to as the ball seems to sit on the strings far longer than normal. That sometimes made me feel that my stroke was getting ahead of the ball and, at times, tempted me to hit harder than necessary. I think that unusual sensation is one of the reasons why many have reported arm, shoulder and wrist problems with the PD. It swings lighter than average but the string bed holds the ball so you can feel that you need to swing even harder. End result = a sore shoulder/arm/wrist and a loss of power. Far better to let the string bed do its work or string it tighter which seems to negate the Woofer system.

There you go. I wrote a fair bit because I asked a similar question a while ago and didnt get many answers (at least from people who had played with both and could offer a sensible response).

lookitstrevor
07-01-2005, 06:30 AM
i have played with both and I prefer the PD. i didnt find much of a difference, but I am not that good anyways. The PD+ had a significantly lighter head, i kind of liked it tho.

Indiantwist
07-01-2005, 08:37 AM
I played with Both and iam in awe with PD+. This is the perfect racquet for my play style. PD felt a little too weak for me.

My serve kicked up another notch with PD+. with PD it came down a bit.
Ground strokes were more or less the same. PD+ extra inch came in handy in so many ways and coming up with some cute angles. However PD seem to have better control with less pop though
Volleys.. No difference.
Return of Serves--> PD+ all the way.

One thing i want to add though is iam learning to TOPSPIN and most of my strokes are flat. So your opinion of PD and PD+ may be different.