PDA

View Full Version : is nylon and synthetic the same thing?

Nina-Sky
07-04-2011, 05:26 PM
ive read hours now on internet, and have come to a concluson, that nylon and synthetic is the same, just two different names, am i right or am i outside jogging?

Keifers
07-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Can't you be both at the same time?? ;)

When it comes to tennis strings, yes, the two terms are used interchangeably. Synthetic gut was deemed by some clever marketer to be a far more attractive term than nylon, and now it's the more common name.

jim e
07-04-2011, 07:07 PM
ive read hours now on internet, and have come to a concluson, that nylon and synthetic is the same, just two different names, am i right or am i outside jogging?

Since you said synthetic, and not synthetic gut, then....
You are outside jogging if you want a proper answer to your question the way your question was worded.
Synthetic means just that, its synthetic and is man made and not natural like natural gut. A poly string is not nylon, but it is synthetic string is it not?

Nina-Sky
07-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Since you said synthetic, and not synthetic gut, then....
You are outside jogging if you want a proper answer to your question the way your question was worded.
Synthetic means just that, its synthetic and is man made and not natural like natural gut. A poly string is not nylon, but it is synthetic string is it not?
i mean:

whats the difference between synthetic gut and nylon?

jim e
07-04-2011, 07:30 PM
i mean:

whats the difference between synthetic gut and nylon?

Both the same, Synthetic gut is nylon construction.Synthetic gut is nylon,
But just saying synthetic, thats a different story.

pvaudio
07-04-2011, 08:27 PM
This is semantics. Saying synthetic string does not imply a nylon based string in itself. As a natural gut user, I openly refer to all non polyester and natural gut strings as synthetic. If I need to be more specific, I then say synthetic gut, multifilament or "cheap" nylon. Examples being, in order, Prince Synthetic Gut, Technifibre NRG2, Forten Tournament Nylon.

sstchur
07-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Here is my understanding.

Synthetic Gut is a general term used to described any string that is designed to exhibit some of the characteristics of natural gut.

Typically, Synthetic Gut is made of Nylon, though, there are a few other, lesser used materials (like Zyex and Polyolefin).

Usually, when someone says "Synthetic Gut", they are referring to a Monofilament synthetic gut -- that is, a single core nylon string. An example is Prince Synthetic Gut (one of the most popular).

If someone uses the term "Nylon", then even though it is the same material, usually it refers to lower end, cheaper strings. Like (as another poster mentioned) Forten Nylon.

Then you have Multis (or Multifilaments). These are usually nylon as well (but as I started at the beginning, sometimes they are Zyex or Polyolefin combined with Nylon). They have many many filaments (not necessarily single core like most strings that are branded "Synthetic Gut"), and for this reason, they are often much softer feeling than "Synthetic Gut." Examples are Gamma Professional, Technifibre X-One Bi-Phase, Pro Supex Maxim Touch.

As far as nylon goes, those 3 terms ("Nylon", "Synthetic Gut", and "Multifilament") are about as far as it goes.

From there, you also have your Polys, Kevlar, and then (historically) the "gold standard", natural gut. Natural gut is truly natural as it is made from the part of the cow's intestine called the serosa. It is expensive for this reason (not to mention that is has to be dried/cured which takes time).

As a side note, multis are an attempt to use nylon is a way that better mimics natural gut than monofilament nylon can (though, most will tell you that nothing but natural gut will really feel like natural gut).

Hope this helps.
-sstchur