PDA

View Full Version : Need a string recommendation guys.

brownsfan456
07-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey everyone,
I recently switched to polys at the behest of my pro, he recommended Dunlop Black Widows to use on my Dunlop 300 4D because he said it would help to smooth out my game and it was basically an experiment. Whatever, it didn't work, he admitted it and the strings have actually made my game worse especially considering they're strung at 63 lbs and i can't get halfway through a match without my arm becoming noticeably stiff and painful. The strings did help with my serve to be honest.

I mostly play doubles, but I do play plenty of singles. I prefer baseline hitting but come to the net fairly often. classic forehand and two handed backhand. My first serve is a hybrid serve with more forward lean and my second serve is a spin serve. I have 2 Dunlop 300 4D so I guess I could play around stringing. Any recommendations are welcome.

fanatic32
07-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, if u like the string, you can lower the tension so your arm will not get sore.. and if u want to completely change strings, i recommend RPM Blast or Pro Line II.

brownsfan456
07-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I have played with the RPM blast in the past and I generally like them, but they didn't feel like anything special. Ill check out the Proline II.

To clear some things up, price is no matter, and i'm looking at a syn gut or multi filament string.

fanatic32
07-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I have played with the RPM blast in the past and I generally like them, but they didn't feel like anything special. Ill check out the Proline II.

To clear some things up, price is no matter, and i'm looking at a syn gut or multi filament string.

for synthetic gut, if you're looking for a full bed, then try the famous Prince synthetic gut.. and if you're looking for a syn gut to hybrid, try og gosen micro... and a good multifilament string is Technifibre Biphase

Fuji
07-04-2011, 10:13 PM
How do you still have an arm after stringing poly @ 63lbs. Try 52lbs and see if that makes a difference. When I played with poly I strung in the low 40's and it still had excellent control for it's life time. With a poly, the general rule is to string 10% lower then what you strung before, at minimum. :)

Have you tried a hybrid?

If you have some cash to burn, try playing some natural gut if your weather conditions are nice or you play indoors. Some of the greatest string on earth if you have the spare cash for it!

-Fuji

EDIT: As for multis, I love X1 Biphase 17 and 18. Both are great. Head RIP Control 16/17 is my 2nd favorite string because of it's quite good spin potential.

brownsfan456
07-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks Fuji, I have played with mostly hybrids for about 3 years. I have found that they really aren't for me though. I think that might be a good idea dropping the tension some. I do like the Black Widow strings in general, but the arm concern is still a problem. I'll have to drop the tension when I restring.

Tennis Is Magic
07-05-2011, 07:41 AM
How do you still have an arm after stringing poly @ 63lbs. Try 52lbs and see if that makes a difference. When I played with poly I strung in the low 40's and it still had excellent control for it's life time. With a poly, the general rule is to string 10% lower then what you strung before, at minimum. :)

Have you tried a hybrid?

If you have some cash to burn, try playing some natural gut if your weather conditions are nice or you play indoors. Some of the greatest string on earth if you have the spare cash for it!

-Fuji

EDIT: As for multis, I love X1 Biphase 17 and 18. Both are great. Head RIP Control 16/17 is my 2nd favorite string because of it's quite good spin potential.

It depends on the racquet what you string it at. The 4D 300 is VERY light and has an open string pattern. I wouldn't string a poly any less than 60 in that stick myself.

Since price is no matter, you could try a poly/gut hybrid. You could use Alu Power/VS Gut. If you don't mind shelling 30 a string job for string alone, then whatever you may or may not have to pay for labor, that seems like your best bet.

RoughOG
07-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Doubles should mean you like to hug the net so like *kiteboard* I suggest bhbr/nrg2 and others Mosquito Bite/nrg2 & B5E/nrg2

-ROG

genius24
07-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone,
I recently switched to polys at the behest of my pro, he recommended Dunlop Black Widows to use on my Dunlop 300 4D because he said it would help to smooth out my game and it was basically an experiment. Whatever, it didn't work, he admitted it and the strings have actually made my game worse especially considering they're strung at 63 lbs and i can't get halfway through a match without my arm becoming noticeably stiff and painful. The strings did help with my serve to be honest.

I mostly play doubles, but I do play plenty of singles. I prefer baseline hitting but come to the net fairly often. classic forehand and two handed backhand. My first serve is a hybrid serve with more forward lean and my second serve is a spin serve. I have 2 Dunlop 300 4D so I guess I could play around stringing. Any recommendations are welcome.

what are you looking for in a poly?

fortun8son
07-06-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure you really need a poly, at least not full bed.
If you don't mind stringing often, try a good multi like NXT or X-1 strung high. Mantis Comfort is comfortable, low powered and affordable.
N.Vy, TNT2, and NRG ,may work as well.