PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast losing pazzaz

crash1929
07-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I read someone posted they felt the RPM lost its magic very quickly.

I feel like he racquet is dead now. I've played with it a about 2 months.

Is this common? Maybe in my head.

drakulie
07-04-2011, 07:53 PM
That string lost its "pazzaz" after a few hours of hitting when I playtested it.

I would advise for you to re-string.

Fuji
07-04-2011, 08:58 PM
2 Months? Holy gosh man! Change your strings!

RPM felt acceptable for the first 3-4 hours, if that. Basically one afternoon of hitting, then it went straight down the gutter from there.

-Fuji

DrpShot!
07-05-2011, 07:43 AM
2 months!! Call Guiness BWR

ben123
07-05-2011, 07:50 AM
2 months!! Call Guiness BWR

i know recreational players who have used rpm blast for nearly 6 month ;)

FedererBestTennis
07-05-2011, 08:27 AM
i know recreational players who have used rpm blast for nearly 6 month ;)
That's ridiculous, but at the same time makes sense as they are not hitting the ball with power or spin.

I break Hurricane in 6 hours.

Devilito
07-05-2011, 08:40 AM

how long are you expecting a string job to last?

Ramjet
07-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I agree. Last around 5-6 hours for me before going dead. Found SPPP to be a better alternative. Almost as soft, as much spin, almost as much power, but keeps its playability way longer

Rabbit
07-05-2011, 09:14 AM
A buddy of mine bought the AeroPro Drive Team GT. He had them strung with RPM Blast. At first, he was playing about a full level to a level and a half above his normal game. He has since slipped and gotten ****ed about it.

I told him that no poly would hold up for three months and he might ought to think about a restring. He hasn't gotten any of them restrung and continues to get more and more ****ed. :)

crash1929
07-05-2011, 10:33 PM
thanks guys I didn't know this. i used to play with big banger and keep it in for months. i find to break strings not only do you need to hit big but your opponents do to, to start breaking strings regularly.

i can tell my serve technique changes are helping because i can feel the strings breaking on the pop of my serve. i don't feel the strings breaking on my groundies.. I feel i push the groundies more....so if feel i have find that power pop on my groundies too.

well maybe not restringing my racquets has been hurting me. i noticed a real hard drop off with rpm only, not so much with big banger. does anyone know why?

genius24
07-05-2011, 11:45 PM

very common after 2 months

fortun8son
07-05-2011, 11:53 PM
You would probably be just as happy with a good multi or natural gut strung high.
Maybe more so.
At least, when they break, you'd know it's time to restring! :)

Noltae
07-06-2011, 03:45 AM
I've said this before but I kind of prefer poly - and particularly RPM Blast once its been bedded in for a while maybe 10 hours or so - everyone else seems to disagree - I'm not trying to be contrary - this is just my genuine experience...

got spin?
07-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Why do you think Nadal went through 6 rackets in a match back when it first came out? Just think about how hard you hit then compare yourself to Nadal and how hard he hits, if your last two hours, nadal hits flaming topspin on both sides. He was going through 6 rackets last year before french while he was actually using RPM.Now that hes gone back to Pro Hurricane hes back down to 4 rackets a match on average.

Up&comer
07-06-2011, 05:02 AM
Why do you think Nadal went through 6 rackets in a match back when it first came out? Just think about how hard you hit then compare yourself to Nadal and how hard he hits, if your last two hours, nadal hits flaming topspin on both sides. He was going through 6 rackets last year before french while he was actually using RPM.Now that hes gone back to Pro Hurricane hes back down to 4 rackets a match on average.

Nadal isn't using pro hurricane. Pro hurricane also dies just as fast.

crash1929
07-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys. I switched back to my old pure drive plus pre cortex strung with big banger at 70. When I string with big banger at 70 it lasts a very very long time. its a certain feel though.

Up&comer
07-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Thanks guys. I switched back to my old pure drive plus pre cortex strung with big banger at 70. When I string with big banger at 70 it lasts a very very long time. its a certain feel though.

Owwww.
10 chars

LetsGoRoddick
07-07-2011, 04:20 AM

70? I've been reprimanded for 60. Holy smokes.

TennisCJC
07-07-2011, 09:00 AM
String poly between 40 and 52 lbs. NO to 70 lbs as it will hurt you really bad in the long run.

RoughOG
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
70? Pure Drive? Man you must be bionic If you like the Pure drive try out some hybrids and *low* tension if you want to keep some poly.

-ROG

Kaz00
07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Poly at 70?! You sir are a machine

The Wreck
07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Please tell me this is a troll...

2kJosh
07-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Last year when I used the apdgt I used rpm the week it was available because of reviews I see they are significantly lower then before. IMO I thought the strings were to springy but within twenty minutes it went dead and had no feel. That string is not meant for longevity.

whomad15
07-08-2011, 09:09 PM
im generally fine with dead strings, but when they notch or stop moving at all, its time for them to go.

Fugazi
07-08-2011, 09:20 PM
String poly between 40 and 52 lbs. NO to 70 lbs as it will hurt you really bad in the long run.
40! At this tension, don't hope to actually hit the ball, as a slight caress will most likely get the ball in the fence... Even 52 is hard to control. 56-57 would be a good start perhaps. I personally string polys (RPM, PHT or Luxilon) at 59 in a Babolat APD (with a degree of pre-stretching with a manual machine), and it feels great. A bit stiff, but hey, it's poly.

NLBwell
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, the RPM is dead after a couple of hours.

I, myself, though, play well with long-dead Lux Spin or Rough (as long as the temperature isn't too high - that does cause me to lose control). Likely, that is because I've played with Kevlar most of my tennis life and am used to dead strings. I am somewhat surprised that they don't hurt my arm more.

martini1
07-13-2011, 03:59 AM
40! At this tension, don't hope to actually hit the ball, as a slight caress will most likely get the ball in the fence... Even 52 is hard to control. 56-57 would be a good start perhaps. I personally string polys (RPM, PHT or Luxilon) at 59 in a Babolat APD (with a degree of pre-stretching with a manual machine), and it feels great. A bit stiff, but hey, it's poly.

I started to string my apdc at 53 with hurricane mains as an experiment. The tension loss happens quickly. Only a few hrs of causal play the strings are already moving around like multi. Some poly strings just don't like lower tension I guess.

quest01
07-13-2011, 07:16 AM
I noticed RPM blast strings don't last very long but I never break them. Usually after a few days of hitting I notice a difference in control more so with higher gauges. I've tried all 3 of the RPM blast gauges and noticed the 16g lasts a little longer then the 17 and 18g RPM blast strings.

coloskier
07-13-2011, 12:00 PM
I have yet to hit with a poly that doesn't go dead within 2-3 weeks, whether you hit with it or not.

crash1929
07-16-2011, 11:28 PM
the 70 thing is a set up i've played wiith for years. no problems at all. i origianlly tried it because when the pure drive plus's came out they had so much power I could not keep the ball in.....

tampa_edski
07-17-2011, 04:45 AM
i noticed a real hard drop off with rpm only, not so much with big banger. does anyone know why?

I've only recently started to use polys, and have only used Luxilon's. I got a Wilson K6.1-95 in February, which appeared to be only played on for an hour or two, but who knows how long it had been strung (supposedly at 54 lbs)? I loved the feel of the strings right away, and have not noticed any real drop off since. But I do only play about 2 hours a week, and not always with this racquet...

I did restring my Prince TriComp 90 with Big Banger ALU's, at 50 lbs...so I have a little experience now with fresh poly's. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing, but I have not seen the incredible decline others say they experience. At least I don't feel it...the Prince with fresh Luxi's has a little more power than the 6.1 - but it is about 10 grams heavier, thus has about the same difference in SW (not exactly sure - I should use some free time to actually do the swing test of the 6.1), so the Prince *should* have a little more power.

My next step is to string up my wife's old Wimbledon (I think a Pro-Kennex) with some other poly as a test - was thinking either Volkl Cyclone or Tourna Big Hitter (I think that's the name)...

For reference - I play a mixed style, I'll slam on the baseline with decent topspin, but often go for a really flat shot, I'll charge the net and drop it; 1 hand back hand with a lot of slice. I played pretty well yesterday with the Prince, last week I played pretty well with the Wilson. :confused:

chaddles
07-17-2011, 05:53 AM
RPM is a pretty ordinary string, and I've been getting customers away from it. It played well for the first session, and next day it turned ugly. It is the worst string for it's price by a fair stretch. Lux Savage is a ship load better, and VPro has become another cave of mine

Blade0324
07-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I can't argue with many that say RPM goes dead pretty quickly. I usually get about 8 hours out of it before I either break it or it's just too dead and tension drops too much. Having said that I have never really been able to get more than about 10 hours out of any poly before it is just not playable anymore. No that I've covered that, while RPM is fresh it is without a doubt a unique feel and for me is second to none. Certainly worth it to me a home stringer to get the performance out of it and then get a freshly strung stick.

Power Player
07-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Please tell me this is a troll...

It is. But he is one of TW's finest. I personally appreciate this kind of talent.